Donation to help with costs Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Fuzz

2011/09/22 - 1-2-3-4 Go! Records, Oakland, California, USA

Mozzabillie

So I am realizing two funny things-

A) This place was so epic that we would rather die than get kicked out. Other than concertkid's pix,and the 123GO facebook pix, there is NOTHING out there. Everyone was having too good a time to record or snap anything. Also, it was so small you were never more than 5-10 feet from security. I have been on and off thenet all day- looking at IC, on here, on Youtube, anywhere- and it is a desert out there. Will have to keep this one etched in my own brain forever.

B) It was Green Day rave. You get a secret message on the Internet, go to a secret location where you have to follow somone you don't know into a kind of dodgy-looking alley in Oakland, get let in an unmarked side door to a warehousy space that was hand-built by the performers....then you dance all night until you are drenched in sweat and about to fall over. Then the neighbors call the cops with a noise complaint. (That's why they told us we had to leave really quickly afterward, and cleared the back fenced-in area out) The ecstasy was all-natural, though-just from the wild excitement of all the fans with a beer chaser!

I couldn't have described this better even if I tried. This is exactly what it was like. We were at a Green Day rave! :)

-Billiejoezee-

This night sounded amazing. One question, did they ask for IDs or anything to prove you were 21+?

Mozzabillie

I was just remembering how we were standing outside in front of the record store by the street, wondering where everybody was at. There were about 8 or 10 of us and it was almost 8:00. I was hoping that everybody was able to get their papers signed and sent in time. I went to make sure my car was locked and noticed that my daughter wasn't there anymore. I asked the others standing there where she was and they told me that she went to see if she was on the list (of course she was on the list). I thought "where did she go to see if she was on the list?" I went to the side street and still didn't see anything. Then I saw Bill lead the rest of the crowd that had been standing there, down the side street and to the back of the buildings on the block. I am so thankful that Bill came out to look for us (I love Pinhead Gunpowder!). Yeah, I kept yelling that phrase while in line in Costa Mesa every time Bill walked by and now I mean it even more. I was so excited and still in a daze about being there that I didn't even think to look anywhere else since I saw other people standing in front of the record store. I love you, Bill! (I love Pinhead Gunpowder and I REALLY mean it even more now!)

Mozzabillie

This night sounded amazing. One question, did they ask for IDs or anything to prove you were 21+?

I had to show my ID to prove that I was on "the list". There were two lines, "The List" line and the line of people who showed up hoping to get in. I would think they would have asked for ID since there were free beer kegs that was self serve or "Tre serve" when he was serving it. :)

Wow! I just realized that this secret show was 7 years and 1 day after American Idiot was released! Happy Anniversary!

melissawebster

^That is so awesome. You sound like you're still walking on air from it. What an amazing experience.

geekjimbreath

Ahh Mozzabille so you were in the group that was out front when I drove up! At first I thought that was the right line, but when I drove down Webster to park I noticed a bunch of people in the rear parking lot and figured that must be the place. When I got to the gate a guy asked me if I was on the list and I showed him the email I got and he let me in, but they didn't check my ID.

Edited by geekjimbreath

DoodleBob

Awwww a cute teeny blue mini for cute teeny Billie.

:lol: Haha, that made me laugh so much.

I hope Billie still has his 67 Ford Fairlane though. Even if it's a pile of junk in his driveway...

geekjimbreath
So I am realizing two funny things-

A) This place was so epic that we would rather die than get kicked out. Other than concertkid's pix,and the 123GO facebook pix, there is NOTHING out there. Everyone was having too good a time to record or snap anything. Also, it was so small you were never more than 5-10 feet from security. I have been on and off thenet all day- looking at IC, on here, on Youtube, anywhere- and it is a desert out there. Will have to keep this one etched in my own brain forever.

B) It was Green Day rave. You get a secret message on the Internet, go to a secret location where you have to follow somone you don't know into a kind of dodgy-looking alley in Oakland, get let in an unmarked side door to a warehousy space that was hand-built by the performers....then you dance all night until you are drenched in sweat and about to fall over. Then the neighbors call the cops with a noise complaint. (That's why they told us we had to leave really quickly afterward, and cleared the back fenced-in area out) The ecstasy was all-natural, though-just from the wild excitement of all the fans with a beer chaser!

What a perfect description!

SFGreendayfan

There was another song played at 1-2-3-4 Go that wasn't mentioned. Anyone remember the first word of it that was there? I looked at Setlist.fm and they were missing a couple songs...

alaniluau

I also think there was less people in general, and way less people who are fans only and not just family and friends. This show was held where they've spent a lot of their lives. There were a lot of people I saw that are just part of the magic of the bay area scene, like a lot of my friends who used to work at Green Day's old merch company with me, Jesse Luscious from Blatz/The Criminals and other members of old bay area bands, BJA's family as a lot of people have already mentioned, people like that.

I love Jesse Luscious to death! So glad he was able to make it out to the show.

What is his deal?

Your post essentially summed up why Jason is my biggest role model and "favorite," per se, member of Green Day. He's living his dream of playing with his favorite band without taking a moment of it for granted. Like Aska mentioned, pick up a copy of Fluke #9 (you can get it directly from the source here or pick up a copy at any Bobby Joe Ebola show). I'd also suggest watching the documentary Towncraft. It'll give you a genuine feel for what that Little Rock boy is all about.

I love you, Bill! (I love Pinhead Gunpowder and I REALLY mean it even more now!)

Is Bill not the coolest guy in California? :D He's one of my favorite members of the entire crew.

norcalgreendayfan

I think the hair makes him look somewhat like Shaggy from Scooby Doo which is not necessarily a bad thing. He is awesome with any haircut, though!

You know I was thinking Shaggy when I saw that his hair was grown out :lol:

I couldn't have described this better even if I tried. This is exactly what it was like. We were at a Green Day rave! :)

A green day rave, sounds about right to me.

:lol: Haha, that made me laugh so much.

I hope Billie still has his 67 Ford Fairlane though. Even if it's a pile of junk in his driveway...

That would be cool if he still had the 67 Ford Fairline. He needs to restore that bad boy so it's not a pile of junk in the driveway.

Underbelly

^That is so awesome. You sound like you're still walking on air from it. What an amazing experience.

So true- haven't slept more than 3 hours at a stretch because I'm still so full of adrenaline.

melissawebster

^Ha ha! I'd be the same way. It'd probably keep me going for weeks.

• Like 1

norcalgreendayfan

So true- haven't slept more than 3 hours at a stretch because I'm still so full of adrenaline.

I finally had a good nights sleep last night out of sheer exhuastion.

geekjimbreath

Same here, last night was my first night of decent sleep since Thursday night :)

ltrbmb17

such perfect news after the week-end! Thanks to all recaps and photos! They are amazing!!! Can't wait for some audio or video and full set-list. Stay the night is my favorite song! interesting, was it "tiki-bar version"?

GuitarPunk94

Can't wait for some audio or video and full set-list.

i doubt that anyone made any video footage, like everyone said, they played in a small room where the security stands right next to you...but i hope too that maybe someone filmed a bit

Heather.

Isn't it funny how the Tiki bar show had a strict no-camera rule but we got footage/audio, and this one had no such rule, but because it was just *that* awesome no one bothered to film it? And the global community remains in the dark even though we were one click away from hearing a ton of new songs?

I don't know if it's ironic, awesome, or sad, but hey, it'll be worth the wait...

Daughter.of.Rage.and.Love

Maybe because it was so short notice, maybe because it was much smaller, or maybe just because when there's a no camera policy, people think of cameras, but when no such thing is mentioned it's not something that's immediately on people's minds. :lol:

It's kind of weird, I'm not yearning for recordings or pictures at all. If they show up, awesome, but it's not like I feel like I really want that... the recaps did a wonderful job of capturing the atmosphere, maybe videos will take away from the image I've built up in my head about this show. :happy:

greendaytone

Been away for a week, what news to come back too! What have they got up their sleeves next i wonder?!

norcalgreendayfan

Been away for a week, what news to come back too! What have they got up their sleeves next i wonder?!

Secret show in New York and London maybe ;):lol:

solongfromthestars

Yes please :P

• Like 1

norcalgreendayfan

Yes please :P

I know all you Englanders would love that. They will be back in due time.

Robin105

:woot: That would be awesome!

Abbey.

Isn't it funny how the Tiki bar show had a strict no-camera rule but we got footage/audio, and this one had no such rule, but because it was just *that* awesome no one bothered to film it? And the global community remains in the dark even though we were one click away from hearing a ton of new songs?

There was a no-camera rule. Signs were posted. Also, I think its hard to appreciate how TEENY TINY this place was. I mean look at your living room and then cut that in half. That is the venue size of 1234 Go Records. I think the lucky few fans that were there were too busy taking it all in. It was kinda surreal. I really really really hope the success of this totally in-control show with no bad shit, at 1234 Go, encourages the band to continue to open these new material fly-by shows to fan participation.

• Like 3

Sign in to follow this