Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Fitness Support Thread

• Please log in to reply
4100 replies to this topic

Juliette

Juliette
  • Wanderlust

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,245 posts
  • Joined May 04, 2007
  • 1,222 rep

is there any advantage to doing all your cardio in one go? I'm not looking to improve my endurance or anything. So if i want to do 30 minutes of cardio a day, is it any better to do it in one go rather than 2 lots of 15 minutes or even 3 lots of 10?

maybe in winter I can work on doing 30 minutes in one go. But it's so hot right now I finish a bottle of water every 10-15 minutes, so I at least have to stop and fill that up. Also worried about heat exhaustion. 

It depends on the intensity for one thing. If it's something like walking or running, most of the time you need to work out for longer for it to do anything, but if you do 10 minutes of really intense exercise that would be good for you in a different way. Really depends on what you're hoping to gain from it as well, in terms of weight loss, endurance or just overall fitness.

Emilie.

Emilie.
  • Merry Christmas, ya filthy animal

• 15,157 posts
  • Joined Jun 18, 2010
  • 5,023 rep

It depends on the intensity for one thing. If it's something like walking or running, most of the time you need to work out for longer for it to do anything, but if you do 10 minutes of really intense exercise that would be good for you in a different way. Really depends on what you're hoping to gain from it as well, in terms of weight loss, endurance or just overall fitness.

After a warm-up I generally just go as intensely as I can for like 10 minutes. Then break, stretch, another 10, break, then the last 10. 

tbh I'm not even sure what I want to get out of this. General fitness I guess. I started with daily strength/core things because that's the treatment I'm doing for my back fracture. But I just popped some cardio in 'cause it felt kind of uneven only doing core exercise and stretches :lol:

Comrade

Comrade
  • Razzamataz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,176 posts
  • Joined Aug 31, 2008
  • 6,048 rep

After a warm-up I generally just go as intensely as I can for like 10 minutes. Then break, stretch, another 10, break, then the last 10. 

tbh I'm not even sure what I want to get out of this. General fitness I guess. I started with daily strength/core things because that's the treatment I'm doing for my back fracture. But I just popped some cardio in 'cause it felt kind of uneven only doing core exercise and stretches :lol:

That sounds pretty good, to be honest. The only tweak I would suggest is doing maybe a HIIT session for 10-15 minutes followed by a slower distance thing for another 10-15 minutes after a break, or later in the day. They provide different metabolic stimulus that trigger different responses in your cardiovascular system that will give you an all-round fitness improvement. That said, it's HIIT which really is the stuff that gets you in great shape. 

Emilie.

Emilie.
  • Merry Christmas, ya filthy animal

• 15,157 posts
  • Joined Jun 18, 2010
  • 5,023 rep

That sounds pretty good, to be honest. The only tweak I would suggest is doing maybe a HIIT session for 10-15 minutes followed by a slower distance thing for another 10-15 minutes after a break, or later in the day. They provide different metabolic stimulus that trigger different responses in your cardiovascular system that will give you an all-round fitness improvement. That said, it's HIIT which really is the stuff that gets you in great shape. 

I might try that then, it sounds good. And a nice slow 15 minutes would be nice in the afternoon

Comrade

Comrade
  • Razzamataz

• 7,176 posts
  • Joined Aug 31, 2008
  • 6,048 rep

Four days on the trot has taken it out of me, but actually I'm feeling pretty decent. Looking forward to a few days off for birthday-related revelry. 

Vesper

Vesper
  • Outlander

• 18,096 posts
  • Joined Jun 10, 2010
  • 6,724 rep
My body fat percentage has come down 5%. It's still not great but I consider that to be an achievement!
  • Comrade and Certified Nimrod like this

Kaddi.

Kaddi.
  • Hello stranger, I'm a disaster.

• 14,023 posts
  • Joined Mar 28, 2006
  • 1,954 rep

My body fat percentage has come down 5%. It's still not great but I consider that to be an achievement!

How is that "still not great"? I don't think women can go much lower than that.

Comrade

Comrade
  • Razzamataz

• 7,176 posts
  • Joined Aug 31, 2008
  • 6,048 rep

Yeah. Bear in mind that where 6% bf for a man is considered pretty elite, 13-15% would be the same for a woman. 

Juliette

Juliette
  • Wanderlust

• 9,245 posts
  • Joined May 04, 2007
  • 1,222 rep

I still want to accurately know my body fat %. I remember a while back I used a few online formulas to work it out but they were all completely different =/

Vesper

Vesper
  • Outlander

• 18,096 posts
  • Joined Jun 10, 2010
  • 6,724 rep

How is that "still not great"? I don't think women can go much lower than that.

No I'm not at 5%!!! Dear god that would be awful! I've dropped 5% to 27%.... Which is in the normal range for women.
  • Kaddi. and Cath like this

Iva

Iva
  • Jubba jubba jubbo!

• 6,927 posts
  • Joined May 22, 2013
  • 4,341 rep

In 2015, I lost cca. 20 kg, went from 16 hours of sleep and 8 hours of awake time to the opposite, most of the time. I started building muscle. I don't look perfect and I realise that getting down to my old weight might take twice as long as getting to where I am now did...but I'm happy, comfortable and that's what matters. :)

• Kaddi. and Comrade like this

Iva

Iva
  • Jubba jubba jubbo!

• 6,927 posts
  • Joined May 22, 2013
  • 4,341 rep
I obviously meant 2014. Losing 20 more would be too much. :P

Penguin Puffball

Penguin Puffball
  • Mary Poopins

• 20,393 posts
  • Joined Jun 08, 2009
  • 3,866 rep

Does anyone have any tips to get over being uncomfortable at the gym? I'm afraid to go by myself. I prefer weightlifting (I hate cardio; if you see me running you better run too cuz something's coming after me tbh) so I go to the gym to lift; but when I do that, there are guys about 30-40 years older than me that just oggle at me pretty much the whole time and it makes me really uncomfortable. Most of you know my background in this, so unwanted male attention makes me afraid. The nearest all-female gym is maybe 30 minutes away and I can't justify driving that far. Has anyone else dealt with this and how do  you ignore it/get past it?

Maddy.

Maddy.
  • this love is glowing in the dark

• 27,134 posts
  • Joined Jun 15, 2009
  • 7,719 rep

Does anyone have any tips to get over being uncomfortable at the gym? I'm afraid to go by myself. I prefer weightlifting (I hate cardio; if you see me running you better run too cuz something's coming after me tbh) so I go to the gym to lift; but when I do that, there are guys about 30-40 years older than me that just oggle at me pretty much the whole time and it makes me really uncomfortable. Most of you know my background in this, so unwanted male attention makes me afraid. The nearest all-female gym is maybe 30 minutes away and I can't justify driving that far. Has anyone else dealt with this and how do  you ignore it/get past it?

Ipod in and zone out.

Penguin Puffball

Penguin Puffball
  • Mary Poopins

• 20,393 posts
  • Joined Jun 08, 2009
  • 3,866 rep

Ipod in and zone out.

My iPod skips whenever I move, unfortunately. I need a new one, badly.

Advertising

Maddy.

Maddy.

• 27,134 posts
  • Joined Jun 15, 2009
  • 7,719 rep

My iPod skips whenever I move, unfortunately. I need a new one, badly.

Focus on the music playing in the gym or something else and zone out. As long as you're only focusing on what you're doing.

chewychorizo

chewychorizo
  • cutie

• 13,757 posts
  • Joined Aug 24, 2008
  • 3,388 rep
My brother is a personal trainer and every time he comes round the house he's always criticising the exercises I'm doing. I need to really "shape up" too appaz. Thanks bro :(

Comrade

Comrade
  • Razzamataz

• 7,176 posts
  • Joined Aug 31, 2008
  • 6,048 rep

Sad as it is, covering up helps. Going at as low-usage hours as possible is an option. Also; stare them down. They look at you then look them right back. Out-alpha them in their little sweat box of personal kingship. The other thing ma be trying that all-female gym. It takes me 45 minutes to get to my gym when the traffic is bad, but it's an awesome gym and full of good types, so it's worth it. 

chewychorizo

chewychorizo
  • cutie

• 13,757 posts
  • Joined Aug 24, 2008
  • 3,388 rep
Just think that they're looking at you because you're a hot lassie :D

Maddy.

Maddy.

• 27,134 posts
  • Joined Jun 15, 2009
  • 7,719 rep
I don't really cover up haha I only wear me trackie bottoms when I haven't shaved in a while because they're just too warm. I hate being too hot in the gym so I'll take a few more stares over being 5000 degrees and sweating my tits off.

Vesper

Vesper
  • Outlander

• 18,096 posts
  • Joined Jun 10, 2010
  • 6,724 rep

I'm still scared to go in the weights room and I've been going to the gym for nearly two years. I wouldn't know what to do in there. The only thing I can really do is deadlifting and squatting weights. 

And that I learnt at Crossfit. Which is fucking nuts btw. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users