Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Voting has started in the Karaoke Contest. Listen to the entries and vote for your favorite.

Photo

Fitness Support Thread

• Please log in to reply
4035 replies to this topic

Emilie.

Emilie.
  • Merry Christmas, ya filthy animal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,919 posts
  • Joined Jun 18, 2010
  • 4,879 rep

I can never go longer than a minute for planks. It's not even my stomach that hurts, it's my arms. But I make up for it by doing 3 45-second planks instead of two 1-minute ones

Daughter.of.Rage.and.Love

Daughter.of.Rage.and.Love
  • No, this is Patrick

• 30,895 posts
  • Joined Oct 23, 2008
  • 3,756 rep

I found this quote/thing on the internet about rowing and it sits on a throne of truths, it's that true. Especially the last paragraph. The other paragraphs are more physiological descriptions (also very interesting), but the last paragraph really captures what rowing a race is like. 

---------------------

I've run sprints to marathons.  I've swum long distance.  I've cycled long distance.  All are incredibly demanding aerobically.  But I echo Edward Wargo:  Nothing beats rowing for total agony.  One of the best descriptions of rowing I've ever read, from a 1996 New Yorker article:

The paradox of rowing is that this most physically demanding of sports is about eighty per cent mental, and the higher you rise in the sport the more important mental toughness becomes. Rowers have to face the grim consequences of starting a two-thousand-metre race with a sprint--a strategy no runner, swimmer, cyclist, or cross-country skier would consider using in a middle-distance event. Since rowers race with their backs to the finish line, the psychological advantage of being ahead in the race--where you can see your opponents but they can't see you--is greater than the physiological disadvantage of stressing the body severely so early in the race. If you get behind, something like "unswing" can happen: the cumulative effect of the group's discouragement can make the individuals less inspired. Therefore, virtually every crew rows the first twenty or thirty strokes at around forty-four strokes a minute (which is pretty much flat out) before settling down to around thirty-seven for the body of the race.

As a result of this shock to the system, the rower's metabolism begins to function anaerobically within the first few seconds of the race. This means that the mitochondria in the muscle cells do not have enough oxygen to produce ATP, which is the source of energy, and start to use glycogen and other compounds stored in the muscle cells instead: they begin, as it were, to feed on themselves. These compounds produce lactic acid, which is a major source of pain. In this toxic environment, capillaries in the hardest-working muscles begin to dilate, while muscles that aren't working as hard go into a state of ischemia--the blood flow to them partially shuts down. Meanwhile, the level of acid in the blood continues to rise. Mike Shannon, a sports physiologist who works at the new Olympic training center, outside San Diego, told me that the highest levels of lactic acid ever found in athletes--as measured in parts per million in the bloodstream--were found in the blood of oarsmen, about thirty parts per million. "That's a tremendous amount of pain," he said.

Marathon runners talk about hitting "the wall" at the twenty-third mile of the race. What rowers confront isn't a wall; it's a hole--an abyss of pain, which opens up in the second minute of the race. Large needles are being driven into your thigh muscles, while your forearms seem to be splitting. Then the pain becomes confused and disorganized, not like the windedness of the runner or the leg burn of the biker but an all-over, savage unpleasantness. As you pass the five-hundred-metre mark, with three-quarters of the race still to row, you realize with dread that you are not going to make it to the finish, but at the same time the idea of letting your teammates down by not rowing your hardest is unthinkable. Therefore, you are going to die. 

------------end quote---------------

(didn't want to italicize it or put it in a quote window cause that's harder to read and it's too long to make it harder to read)

Kaddi.

Kaddi.
  • Hello stranger, I'm a disaster.

• 13,925 posts
  • Joined Mar 28, 2006
  • 1,914 rep

So yesterday during my Hot Iron class, we were doing sit-ups and as always, my abs hurt like hell. But I just kept going and all of a sudden the pain was gone. Success, I guess? :D

wood

wood
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 922 posts
  • Joined Mar 04, 2014
  • 759 rep

First snow fall of the year means ... first snowy run of the season! Time to run till my lungs burn and my legs go numb! Luckily, I have my Taylor Swift Pandora playlist to keep me warm through the frigid air.

Comrade

Comrade
  • Razzamataz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,066 posts
  • Joined Aug 31, 2008
  • 5,903 rep

Had tonsillitis since Tuesday night. Out of action until Monday at the earliest. I'm not really feeling the usual frustration, feeling so far off normal with no appetite, high fever and general aches really drains you of energy. It is probably no bad thing that I'm being forced into a week of rest. I'm using this as my off week from creatine as well. 

First snow fall of the year means ... first snowy run of the season! Time to run till my lungs burn and my legs go numb! Luckily, I have my Taylor Swift Pandora playlist to keep me warm through the frigid air.

Oh man I'm so jealous. 

Lady Nightlife

Lady Nightlife
  • Fuckity Bye

• 12,884 posts
  • Joined Dec 29, 2012
  • 12,786 rep

I'm beginning to think that the only way I'll ever be able to stick with an exercise program is to get a treadmill or elliptical. I really, really struggle with staying consistent and my number one excuse for not taking a run or going for a walk is, "Look at how grim the weather is today." Bottom line, I hate being any more uncomfortable than I have to be while exercising. Winter is especially bad because then I have to go to the trouble of bundling up and wearing a hat and gloves, and navigating through snow/slush/etc. On top of that, I need to have motivation to continue, and in the past when I was able to hit the gym for free, the best way for me to stay motivated was to keep my eye on the screen and see how far I'd gone/how fast I was going. You just don't get that when you're running outdoors. Plus, when I run outside I have to plan a route to cover the correct amount of distance, etc. but when I'm on a treadmill I just have to keep going until I've run as far as I wanted, and then I can stop and immediately get a drink, rest, take a shower, and continue with my day.

I don't want to join a gym because a.) money and b.) effort of fitting it into my routine. I feel like it'd be way easier for me if I just had something I could do at home, indoors, that I wouldn't have to drive anywhere to get to and where I wouldn't have to deal with strangers being around me while I work out :lol:

Maddy.

Maddy.
  • this love is glowing in the dark

• 27,036 posts
  • Joined Jun 15, 2009
  • 7,622 rep
Once I get back to Sheffield on Monday I'm going to start going to the gym more. Set up a thing where I just go after my seminars on Tuesday and Wednesday and go on Friday - my day off. Gives me the weekend and Monday night for Tuesday and Wednesday's reading. Luckily work is on a money/ticket sold basis so there's no solid hours to work so I can fit that in whenever I can. I'm just sick of waking up at 11 and then coming home from lectures and fucking about the flat for the rest of the day. I need to keep myself busy.

Emilie.

Emilie.

• 14,919 posts
  • Joined Jun 18, 2010
  • 4,879 rep

I ended up finding an elliptical on ebay! Picking it up today. I was planning on having a go this afternoon but it's supposed to get up to 40C this weekend and we don't have any fans or air conditioning. So that might not be a good idea

Kaddi.

Kaddi.

• 13,925 posts
  • Joined Mar 28, 2006
  • 1,914 rep

Has anyone ever been to a Deep Work class? I'll try it out on Tuesday and I'm very curious about what it's like.

Juliette

Juliette
  • Wanderlust

• 9,176 posts
  • Joined May 04, 2007
  • 1,168 rep

My friends are all notoriously lazy and hate exercise and prefer to spend all weekend getting rat-arsed then lying in bed eating junk food, but one of my best mates has gone on a health & fitness kick so I finally have someone to do stuff with. Even after being out last night we went hill walking this morning & it was lovely, so much nicer to do that kinda thing with someone & such a good way to start the day :happy: So hopefully we can do it regularly & I can convince some of my other friends that it's 100x better than being hungover.

Emilie.

Emilie.

• 14,919 posts
  • Joined Jun 18, 2010
  • 4,879 rep

I only got in 10 minutes today before I felt sick. It's just too hot =/ before lunch this morning the thermometer read 42 degrees Celsius, which is like 110F? Terrible. I'm going away for a few days and I'll need some time to recover after that, so hopefully by next week it'll be a bit cooler

Comrade

Comrade
  • Razzamataz

• 7,066 posts
  • Joined Aug 31, 2008
  • 5,903 rep

Turns out being ill was a bit of a blessing. Really allowed me to recharge. Hit a new high squatting, did 140kg after a set of 130kg, built up from my standard sets of 100kg. So that was a nice booster. Had a good session today. These big bench marks are such big breakthroughs for me, the numbers were unthinkable a year ago, let alone three years ago when I first set foot in a gym. The next two really big milestones are benching 100kg and dead-lifting 180kg. Those are big, big steps. 

Penguin Puffball

Penguin Puffball
  • Mary Poopins

• 20,139 posts
  • Joined Jun 08, 2009
  • 3,664 rep

After I take my drug test for work I'm going back to working out.

I heard of this website, I forget what's it's called, but it looked great. You could choose your favourite activities and how you best work out and it gave you fitness plan options. I wanted to try it but you have to buy a membership to the site and I'm not paying to use a website, fuck that. So I have to figure something out on my own.

Kaddi.

Kaddi.

• 13,925 posts
  • Joined Mar 28, 2006
  • 1,914 rep

Deep Work was incredible. :woot: The course lasted for an hour of which the first 15 minutes were warm-up and the last 10 cool-down. The rest was like a full power workout combined of tension and relaxation all the time. I never thought that anything could be more exhausting than my fitness boxing class, but this was. I was so tired last night, I went straight to bed. :lol: So really, everyone who has the opportunity: try it!

• Comrade likes this

Penguin Puffball

Penguin Puffball
  • Mary Poopins

• 20,139 posts
  • Joined Jun 08, 2009
  • 3,664 rep
Drug test came back all good so now I can start working out again! My goal is still to weigh 105 again but my ultimate goal is just to be healthier. Maybe my joints and muscles will feel better if I keep moving more than I do now.

Advertising

Comrade

Comrade
  • Razzamataz

• 7,066 posts
  • Joined Aug 31, 2008
  • 5,903 rep
In terms of making progress weight and strength wise, upper/lower body splits have definitely proven the most effective for me. Alternating top and bottom, with one workout if each focusing on explosive power and the other on time under tension has completely galvanized the process over the last few months.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users