Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Fitness Support Thread

• Please log in to reply
3981 replies to this topic

Todd

Todd
  • Sweet and Sour Children

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,007 posts
  • Joined Mar 07, 2012
  • 5,901 rep

you're basically looking for cardio workouts. Jog up and down the bottom stair step in your house, high knees and vary the intensity. Go for long walks, powerwalk some hills, walk instead of taking the buss etc. And don't eat a lot of candy and fatty snacks.

I can't walk instead of taking the bus. That would literally take hours. I'd have to get up at 3am, maybe earlier. And I need to be home by 3pm, so that wouldn't work out in the afternoon either :P

Sarcasm

Sarcasm
  • Panty Purée/Savior of Lives/Arse Doctor

• 15,994 posts
  • Joined Mar 18, 2009
  • 10,023 rep

I can't walk instead of taking the bus. That would literally take hours. I'd have to get up at 3am, maybe earlier. And I need to be home by 3pm, so that wouldn't work out in the afternoon either :P

do all the other stuff I said, then :P

Vesper

Vesper
  • Outlander

• 18,036 posts
  • Joined Jun 10, 2010
  • 6,653 rep

My abs really hurt. Fucking ab wheel. 

Back to MMA tomorrow for the first time in about three months. Scared how much my ass is going to get kicked up and down those mats. 

Maddy.

Maddy.
  • i am groot

• 26,887 posts
  • Joined Jun 15, 2009
  • 7,414 rep
We're doing a 30 day ab challenge with the girls in the flat oh man I love my flatmates. The first 10 days are dead easy and then the last 10 are awful.
  • Cath likes this

Emilie.

Emilie.
  • Super Nintendo Chalmers

• 14,611 posts
  • Joined Jun 18, 2010
  • 4,680 rep

what kind of exercises can i do to get my sides? I'm not supposed to do any that involve twisting, so those twist crunches are out. And I can't really remember any that don't involve something like that.

I can do a side plank actually, are they good?

Maddy.

Maddy.
  • i am groot

• 26,887 posts
  • Joined Jun 15, 2009
  • 7,414 rep

what kind of exercises can i do to get my sides? I'm not supposed to do any that involve twisting, so those twist crunches are out. And I can't really remember any that don't involve something like that.

I can do a side plank actually, are they good?

Side plank will do just fine!

Emilie.

Emilie.

• 14,611 posts
  • Joined Jun 18, 2010
  • 4,680 rep

Side plank will do just fine!

:happy: great

I like planks too so that's good

Comrade

Comrade
  • Razzamataz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,944 posts
  • Joined Aug 31, 2008
  • 5,724 rep

Seriously, why would you ever make fun of someone in a gym? 

Insecurity. Boredom. Bravado. Retardation. 

Next squat session I'm going to try a new PB. a couple of reps at 130kg came relatively easy, so I'll give 135kg a stab and base any higher attempts on that. I got a couple of reps of deadlifts at 150kg nailed down yesterday, which was the first time I'd done that much more than once in a session. Maxed out at 85kg on the bench, though it was for three reps. I was fatigued in the shoulders from the day before though, so I need to see how I am fresh with a decent warm up. These PBs have taken a back seat to quantity though. Now I'm on a dedicated weight gain, I'm just doing as much full-body movement at as high a weight as possible. 

.Holly

.Holly
  • Dominated Love Slave

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,985 posts
  • Joined Apr 01, 2009
  • 1,082 rep
Woop, just ran 10k for the first time and it took 57 mins. Well chuffed with that even though the last km was hideous!! :) I've got an actual race in 4 weeks, so I'm gonna see if I can go sub 55, that would be great. My tummy has started toning up a little too :)
  • colour_me_stupid_, Comrade and Cath like this

colour_me_stupid_

colour_me_stupid_
  • disappearin' in the fade

• 8,568 posts
  • Joined Jan 07, 2007
  • 1,736 rep

Awwwww yis my sister had a yoga mat that she accidentally stole from a pilates class :lol: So I didn't have to buy one. Going to start the 30 day ab challenge, maybe squats too, and go to my uni gym as often as I can manage. Really, really not happy with how I'm looking right now :pinch: 

Comrade

Comrade
  • Razzamataz

• 6,944 posts
  • Joined Aug 31, 2008
  • 5,724 rep

What are the best exercises to build abs and to lose belly fat and tit fat? I'm gonna start working out, since I'm young and it's easier to do now than later. I'm having a testosterone high today, so I'm really pumped and motivated

For building abs:

Deadlifts

Squats

Pull ups

Leg raises

Kettlebell swings 

Woodchops

Planking 

If you don't know what any of those are, youtube them and there are a million tutorials for each. Truthfully someone could only do deadlifts, bench press, squats and pull ups and eat well and have a six pack. 

Losing fat (you can't target fat loss, it sheds from all over):

Your diet. Fat loss is 80% diet, 20% exercise. You simply need a calorie deficit. Or you need to enter into a state of starvation. Either reduce your daily calorie intake by about 350-500 calories (cutting out everything processed, and any carbs that are not bananas, apples, blueberries, brown rice or sweet potatoes. No other carbs allowed) or by eating a normal amount in calories (sans what was previously in brackets) and only eat during an 8 hour window, preferably midday-8pm. It forces your body into starvation mode and it gobbles up the fat reserves first. I've done it, and it worked better than any supplement, training plan or whatever crap people try to sell you. It's what Hugh Jackman does to get big and lean for wolverine (he crams in 6000 calories in that 8 hour window) and it is what the Hodge Twins do. Youtube them. 

Aside from that you need to do cardio. For raw fatburning the single and only long term way of doing it is through HIIT - high intensity interval training. Sprinting for 20 seconds, resting for a minute and repeat. It is both anabolic (muscle building - you've ever seen 100m sprinters? They're huge) and because of the huge amount of energy required for these periods of maximum effort, highly fat burning. 

But it really does all come down to diet and dedication. 

• .Holly and Todd like this

Emilie.

Emilie.

• 14,611 posts
  • Joined Jun 18, 2010
  • 4,680 rep
um my feet get pins and needles and go numb when I try to stretch my hamstrings. I know I've got a bit of nerve compression but is that normal even in people without nerve problems?

colour_me_stupid_

colour_me_stupid_

• 8,568 posts
  • Joined Jan 07, 2007
  • 1,736 rep
Even though it makes the stairs at work much more of an ordeal than they should be, it feels really good to be aching!

.Holly

.Holly
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,985 posts
  • Joined Apr 01, 2009
  • 1,082 rep

oh no, just found out that the 10K I signed up to has 200 m of ascent in it ......... fuck sake! Don't think I'll be breaking the 55 minute barrier!

Comrade

Comrade
  • Razzamataz

• 6,944 posts
  • Joined Aug 31, 2008
  • 5,724 rep

The weights are creeping up. Managed a Deadlift of 155kg today. 160 is absolutely the goal before Christmas. There was a little more gas in the tank. Had a really good session today, kept it to an hour at good pace. 

Advertising

CristhyneS

CristhyneS
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,692 posts
  • Joined Sep 07, 2005
  • 1,048 rep

I'm running 10km on Tuesday. Hopefully. :D 

• Comrade likes this

Comrade

Comrade
  • Razzamataz

• 6,944 posts
  • Joined Aug 31, 2008
  • 5,724 rep

Bumped into one of the real big, toned guys from the gym last night. Was telling me he has to eat 12,000 calories a day to keep his size up - that's mad. Told me '[you're] pretty ripped under that jacket mate,' which was a great boost. 

Got three weeks left until I start bringing cardio back into work outs, but I reckon I might go for a swim tomorrow. It's so warm at the moment. 

wood

wood
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 826 posts
  • Joined Mar 04, 2014
  • 661 rep
Gonna go to the gym, turn on something angry (or mind-numbingly poppy) and lift all my frustrations away. It's a shame that some people haven't found the therapeutic byproducts of exercise. Besides all it does for a physique, it keeps the mind clear. It's a constant, something that won't leave. The weights can't fail you. You can't fail. You just do a little better each time. The running path won't judge you. If you slow down, it won't laugh. If you're having a bad day, it won't let you dwell on the negatives. The world presents the opportunity for all of it's inhabitants to better themselves in multiple capacities for free. Time to cash in.
  • CristhyneS likes this

colour_me_stupid_

colour_me_stupid_

• 8,568 posts
  • Joined Jan 07, 2007
  • 1,736 rep
Finally going to the uni gym tomorrow! Doing a Pilates class with a friend. We've to be there an hour beforehand though so will do some cardio then!

She-Loves-Him

She-Loves-Him
  • chase that disco ball around

• 13,527 posts
  • Joined Mar 05, 2006
  • 2,428 rep

Blah haven't been in weeks again :(

Emilie.

Emilie.

• 14,611 posts
  • Joined Jun 18, 2010
  • 4,680 rep

I had a dream last night that I could run and it didn't hurt at all, I was so happy :happy:

Maddy.

Maddy.
  • i am groot

• 26,887 posts
  • Joined Jun 15, 2009
  • 7,414 rep
Now all my gross injuries have healed i can get back in the gym hallelujah!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users