Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Fitness Support Thread

• Please log in to reply
3952 replies to this topic

Comrade

Comrade
  • Razzamataz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,833 posts
  • Joined Aug 31, 2008
  • 5,574 rep

Had a great gym day yesterday. Big deadlift session and a shoulder blast. Just worked on building up a good base strength, in the future I'm going to concentrate on sheer volume for the deadlifts and sheer weight for the shoulders, I want to be shoulder pressing 60kg before too long. I'm fine with clean and pressing 60, so it's there. 

So nice having my mate in the gym again. Means I'll actually be able to push chest above and beyond. I've been feeling a bit below par the last couple of chest sessions. 

On the topic of preworkouts, I just bought one called "Mr. Hyde." And it does just what you would think. I took a full scoop and turned into a damn animal. Pretty much blacked out. Don't remember working out for two hours. Got home, recorded a song and sent angsty tweets. This stuff will not be legal in three months and I don't take more than half a scoop at any given time now.

Some PWOs show up as amphetamines on drug tests because that's pretty much what they are. I concentrate on one thing very well while I'm under the influence of one. It's kinda crazy. In a good way.

Mix it with alcohol and you'll have a night to remember! Best part is, because of the neuro-stimulants, you cannot black out. You're too focused!

See, honestly. this is where it just seems stupid. For one, pre-workouts aren't necessary in any shape or form. For two, surely the point of going to the gym and looking after your body is to...well...get fit and look after your body. Pumping a bunch of chemicals that cause memory black outs and are at best legally unrecognised just is not looking after oneself. At best it's cheating, at worst it's poisoning. It's flat out not good for you, and just gives a warped sense of what your body is capable of - nothing about any of what you've written is a good thing. None of it will help you in the long term, it'll just lead to a wrecked central nervous system, a resistance to the natural boosts your body gives you and it'll just end up battering your emotions into a mess - because that is all these amped up pre-workouts do, and it's why some of them are illegal. 

That said, it's a culture thing. Pre-workouts are a much bigger market in America and there are a million reasons for that, none of which are particularly positive reflections of the American mindset. The fitness community here tends to raise an eyebrow at the guys who come in the gym with their glowing green pre-workout containers, and chatting to the leanest, strongest guys in my gym, not one of them would go near them. At most you get guys using creatine, BCAAs, taurine and Citrulline Malate - but those latter two are just amino acids. As soon as you go synthetic, you're just setting yourself up for a fall. 

I just can't help but feel uncomfortable, cause these expensive products are all ones that prey on the insecurities surrounding abilities and aesthetics. It is stuff that helps perpetuate body dimorphism.

Maddy.

Maddy.
  • i am groot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,766 posts
  • Joined Jun 15, 2009
  • 7,289 rep
i managed to deadlift 60 yesterday and that was really cool

Emilie.

Emilie.
  • Super Nintendo Chalmers

• 14,291 posts
  • Joined Jun 18, 2010
  • 4,537 rep

I can hold a tabletop legs position for about 5 minutes now. also my thighs are noticeably more muscular. I only do half an hour a day and depending on how my back is a bit of that half hour is stretching. But I feel good. I'm focussing only on slow stretches and strength exercises that can help my back, but don't involve a lot of movement. So planks, bridging. 

wood

wood
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • Joined Mar 04, 2014
  • 563 rep
See, honestly. this is where it just seems stupid. For one, pre-workouts aren't necessary in any shape or form. For two, surely the point of going to the gym and looking after your body is to...well...get fit and look after your body. Pumping a bunch of chemicals that cause memory black outs and are at best legally unrecognised just is not looking after oneself. At best it's cheating, at worst it's poisoning. It's flat out not good for you, and just gives a warped sense of what your body is capable of - nothing about any of what you've written is a good thing. None of it will help you in the long term, it'll just lead to a wrecked central nervous system, a resistance to the natural boosts your body gives you and it'll just end up battering your emotions into a mess - because that is all these amped up pre-workouts do, and it's why some of them are illegal. 

That said, it's a culture thing. Pre-workouts are a much bigger market in America and there are a million reasons for that, none of which are particularly positive reflections of the American mindset. The fitness community here tends to raise an eyebrow at the guys who come in the gym with their glowing green pre-workout containers, and chatting to the leanest, strongest guys in my gym, not one of them would go near them. At most you get guys using creatine, BCAAs, taurine and Citrulline Malate - but those latter two are just amino acids. As soon as you go synthetic, you're just setting yourself up for a fall. 

I just can't help but feel uncomfortable, cause these expensive products are all ones that prey on the insecurities surrounding abilities and aesthetics. It is stuff that helps perpetuate body dimorphism.

Woah, homie. I typically will not use a preworkout when going to the gym. The only times I do are on my fifth day of the week or when it's so brutally cold outside and I need that sort of rush to go run three or four miles in -20 degree temperatures. I do not take a full dosage when working out, either. I'm smart about doing dumb things. I'm not jacking myself up with chemicals everyday to deadlift 500 lbs. And if I use one for more than 2-3 straight sessions, I refrain from using them for a week to ensure my nervous system can recover. I have used these intermittently for the past two years to help me on those off/lethargic days and I have made significant advances and gainz.

Some of these PWOs are nothing more than caffeine, B vitamins and beta alanine. Maybe some taurine. I feel much worse after a two cups of coffee than I do after a mild preworkout. This Mr. Hyde stuff is an anomaly. It won't be legal much longer. It's not something I would ever use each day. It's pretty much legal cocaine.

And, I mean, shit, many of us drink and whatnot. That's poisoning as well. That causes blackouts.

Maddy.

Maddy.
  • i am groot

• 26,766 posts
  • Joined Jun 15, 2009
  • 7,289 rep
Yeah but you don't lift when you're drinking heavily.

CristhyneS

CristhyneS
  • Dominated Love Slave

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,664 posts
  • Joined Sep 07, 2005
  • 1,038 rep

I haven't worked out in a week now, this is so annoying. I admit that I was just lazy last Friday, but then I felt sick for the whole weekend, so I couldn't work out. I wanted to start again today, but now I have a freaking cold. :mad:

Aw that sucks! I hope you feel better very soon! I hate it too when I cannot work out due to sickness. 

Comrade

Comrade
  • Razzamataz

• 6,833 posts
  • Joined Aug 31, 2008
  • 5,574 rep

And, I mean, shit, many of us drink and whatnot. That's poisoning as well. That causes blackouts.

Hah, true. But no one is about to down half a litre of vodka and then go bench pressing. 

wood

wood
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • Joined Mar 04, 2014
  • 563 rep

Hah, true. But no one is about to down half a litre of vodka and then go bench pressing.

It's like you don't even know me...
  • Comrade likes this

Juliette

Juliette
  • Wanderlust

• 9,093 posts
  • Joined May 04, 2007
  • 1,104 rep

Ugh I don't know what's wrong with me but yesterday and today at the gym I've just had no strength or stamina. It's so infuriating and I've no idea what's causing it.

Kaddi.

Kaddi.
  • Hello stranger, I'm a disaster.

• 13,811 posts
  • Joined Mar 28, 2006
  • 1,848 rep

Aw that sucks! I hope you feel better very soon! I hate it too when I cannot work out due to sickness. 

Thank you. It's so annoying. I'm already out of breath after having walked up the stairs to my apartment (2nd floor), so running is completely impossible right now. I try to stay active in other ways though. I've done a lot of cleaning in my apartment for the last days and I tried to go on a walk every day as well. Not great, but better than nothing.

CristhyneS

CristhyneS
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,664 posts
  • Joined Sep 07, 2005
  • 1,038 rep

Ugh I don't know what's wrong with me but yesterday and today at the gym I've just had no strength or stamina. It's so infuriating and I've no idea what's causing it.

Maybe it's what you're eating (or not eating), or how much sleep you're getting? That can have a big effect at times. Also, something that sometimes messes up with my stamina is my menstrual cycle, so perhaps it could be related to that? For me at least, those are the three factors that most often influence on my stamina. 

Thank you. It's so annoying. I'm already out of breath after having walked up the stairs to my apartment (2nd floor), so running is completely impossible right now. I try to stay active in other ways though. I've done a lot of cleaning in my apartment for the last days and I tried to go on a walk every day as well. Not great, but better than nothing.

Walking is actually a wonderful option for when your feeling sick. And doing it outdoors in the sun may even help with that cold :) 

I wasn't able to run yesterday because it was raining so bad, and instead I stayed home skyping with a friend I hadn't talked to in so long! This morning it was raining as well so I had to settle for working out at home. Not as cool as running, but still it was great. 

Juliette

Juliette
  • Wanderlust

• 9,093 posts
  • Joined May 04, 2007
  • 1,104 rep

Maybe it's what you're eating (or not eating), or how much sleep you're getting? That can have a big effect at times. Also, something that sometimes messes up with my stamina is my menstrual cycle, so perhaps it could be related to that? For me at least, those are the three factors that most often influence on my stamina. 

Hmm I dunno. I'm eating about the same as usual, yesterday I actually ate loads more than I normally do cause of my brother's birthday so I don't think it's that. And I don't have a menstrual cycle so it's definitely not that haha, maybe it is just cause I've not slept great the past few nights but I've never noticed it affecting me this badly before =/

Vesper

Vesper
  • Outlander

• 18,028 posts
  • Joined Jun 10, 2010
  • 6,647 rep

Oh man I'm so fat. I can't wait to get back to the gym next Sunday. 

Comrade

Comrade
  • Razzamataz

• 6,833 posts
  • Joined Aug 31, 2008
  • 5,574 rep

Hmm I dunno. I'm eating about the same as usual, yesterday I actually ate loads more than I normally do cause of my brother's birthday so I don't think it's that. And I don't have a menstrual cycle so it's definitely not that haha, maybe it is just cause I've not slept great the past few nights but I've never noticed it affecting me this badly before =/

It is perfectly normal to have off days/weeks. The other day I was struggling with stuff I'd normally consider a warm up. Three days later I was busting my own records. Sleep can have a cumulative effect, but there are various cycles going on in the body that every so often align and conspire to ruin your day or even week. I'd not dwell too long on it - if it continues then vastly change the workout plan. Body shock is a great remedy, the human body is designed to adapt and get a high from it.  

Juliette

Juliette
  • Wanderlust

• 9,093 posts
  • Joined May 04, 2007
  • 1,104 rep

It is perfectly normal to have off days/weeks. The other day I was struggling with stuff I'd normally consider a warm up. Three days later I was busting my own records. Sleep can have a cumulative effect, but there are various cycles going on in the body that every so often align and conspire to ruin your day or even week. I'd not dwell too long on it - if it continues then vastly change the workout plan. Body shock is a great remedy, the human body is designed to adapt and get a high from it.  

Mm true, it's just so infuriating when your minds totally in it but your body just won't cooperate. I'm having as close to a rest day as possible today, no intense cardio anyway so hopefully that'll help with things tomorrow.

Advertising

wood

wood
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • Joined Mar 04, 2014
  • 563 rep

Being on keto is not helping me gain in terms of lifts, but my endurance is up. Which is nice. I feel like I can run endlessly.

And outdoor runs in this fall/hoodie weather feel fantastic!

Vesper

Vesper
  • Outlander

• 18,028 posts
  • Joined Jun 10, 2010
  • 6,647 rep

Off to the gym for the first time in a long time... gonna try a leg day. Wish me luck!

chewychorizo

chewychorizo
  • cutie

• 13,113 posts
  • Joined Aug 24, 2008
  • 2,849 rep
I was gonna go to the gym today but I decided to be a fat fuck instead
  • Khaleesi., WhiteTim, Cath and 1 other like this

Sarcasm

Sarcasm
  • Panty Purée

• 15,780 posts
  • Joined Mar 18, 2009
  • 9,846 rep

I was gonna go to the gym today but I decided to be a fat fuck instead

I like you
  • chewychorizo likes this

chewychorizo

chewychorizo
  • cutie

• 13,113 posts
  • Joined Aug 24, 2008
  • 2,849 rep

I like me too :happy:

but i like you too 

Comrade

Comrade
  • Razzamataz

• 6,833 posts
  • Joined Aug 31, 2008
  • 5,574 rep

I'm knackered. Upped the ante a bit because of the weekend lay off. Gone back to an old school chest session style - starting with flat bench, then incline dumbbell press, then decline bench press with flys to finish. Takes me back to when I first started going to the gym. 

Pairing chest with back is fantastic though. It really gets your heart rate up and pushes your entire upper body system. Great for dynamic strength. 

CristhyneS

CristhyneS
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,664 posts
  • Joined Sep 07, 2005
  • 1,038 rep

I'm steady now at running my 5,5km circuit with a speed of 6:50 min/km. Only took me 4 weeks to get back to where I left off before the summer laziness. Not too bad I guess. :)

• Cath likes this

Khaleesi.

Khaleesi.
  • #sneakyoutlaw

• 19,562 posts
  • Joined Jul 31, 2005
  • 3,874 rep

i've been doing an incredible amount of walking lately, and i can definitely see the difference it's making in my legs. i downloaded a pedometer on my phone and it's really neat to see how many steps i take in an average day! between working on the floor at work and having to park allll the way at the back of the parking lot at school, it's been good. :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users