Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Fitness Support Thread

• Please log in to reply
3928 replies to this topic

Sarcasm

Sarcasm
  • Panty Purée

• 15,710 posts
  • Joined Mar 18, 2009
  • 9,764 rep

Gym was empty today :wub:

social anxiety is a big reason of my non existing gym membership

Maddy.

Maddy.
  • i am groot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,706 posts
  • Joined Jun 15, 2009
  • 7,234 rep

social anxiety is a big reason of my non existing gym membership

I was like that but then you realise that literally everybody there is only there for themselves. No one cares about you. Once you get past that it's the greatest thing. I just love it when it's empty so I don't have to wait to use the barbells.

Sarcasm

Sarcasm
  • Panty Purée

• 15,710 posts
  • Joined Mar 18, 2009
  • 9,764 rep

I was like that but then you realise that literally everybody there is only there for themselves. No one cares about you. Once you get past that it's the greatest thing. I just love it when it's empty so I don't have to wait to use the barbells.

I guess I just find it sort of embarrassing to be there alone, because the way it is here, people move in packs. They spot each other and do this rotation stuff, and all the friends I have that go to the gym are total assholes :P

Maddy.

Maddy.
  • i am groot

• 26,706 posts
  • Joined Jun 15, 2009
  • 7,234 rep

I guess I just find it sort of embarrassing to be there alone, because the way it is here, people move in packs. They spot each other and do this rotation stuff, and all the friends I have that go to the gym are total assholes :P

Yeah I know what you mean. Being a girl has its perks because you're not doing heavy enough stuff to need a spot. It's always nice starting off with a person who can kind of guide you through it and show you the ropes and help with your form. Maybe just bite the bullet and ask if one of your asshole friends wants to go with you?

Kaddi.

Kaddi.
  • Hello stranger, I'm a disaster.

• 13,782 posts
  • Joined Mar 28, 2006
  • 1,826 rep

Last week, I went running Monday-Wednesday, on Tuesday I went swimming and on Friday I had my fitness boxing class. I felt like I absolutely deserved and needed a break after that, so I took two days off. Today, I'll go swimming again. It feels good to be active. :happy: I'm also considering to buy a membership for uni sports next semester, so I can go to the classes there when the weather is too shitty to run outside.

Sarcasm

Sarcasm
  • Panty Purée

• 15,710 posts
  • Joined Mar 18, 2009
  • 9,764 rep

Yeah I know what you mean. Being a girl has its perks because you're not doing heavy enough stuff to need a spot. It's always nice starting off with a person who can kind of guide you through it and show you the ropes and help with your form. Maybe just bite the bullet and ask if one of your asshole friends wants to go with you?

The thing is, I don't really have friends I'm close enough with to feel comfortable enough to ask if you get what I mean. I have this one friend who works out I'm planning on asking, but man, he is one of those guys who just benches 200 pounds, while I'm over here benching my 100 or something and feel so fucking butch :P

Maddy.

Maddy.
  • i am groot

• 26,706 posts
  • Joined Jun 15, 2009
  • 7,234 rep

The thing is, I don't really have friends I'm close enough with to feel comfortable enough to ask if you get what I mean. I have this one friend who works out I'm planning on asking, but man, he is one of those guys who just benches 200 pounds, while I'm over here benching my 100 or something and feel so fucking butch :P

i'm sure he'll help you if you asked him if he's not a complete arse :)

Sarcasm

Sarcasm
  • Panty Purée

• 15,710 posts
  • Joined Mar 18, 2009
  • 9,764 rep

i'm sure he'll help you if you asked him if he's not a complete arse :)

it's not the amount of arse, it's that we just work together, and all the people at my work are wildly racist, kind of slow and has that popular-with-the-girls humor. I feel pretentious saying it, but I feel like they're legit dumb people.

Maddy.

Maddy.
  • i am groot

• 26,706 posts
  • Joined Jun 15, 2009
  • 7,234 rep

it's not the amount of arse, it's that we just work together, and all the people at my work are wildly racist, kind of slow and has that popular-with-the-girls humor. I feel pretentious saying it, but I feel like they're legit dumb people.

hey he doesn't need to be the sharpest tool in the shed to help you out in the gym :P

unless you really don't like like spending time with him...

Sarcasm

Sarcasm
  • Panty Purée

• 15,710 posts
  • Joined Mar 18, 2009
  • 9,764 rep

hey he doesn't need to be the sharpest tool in the shed to help you out in the gym :P

unless you really don't like like spending time with him...

I like it, it's just that on a social spectrum we're so different. I'm not that shy or anything, but he has that cool-guy ability to just talk to anyone, and he is one of those guys who just fucking knows EVERYONE. :P

Maddy.

Maddy.
  • i am groot

• 26,706 posts
  • Joined Jun 15, 2009
  • 7,234 rep

I like it, it's just that on a social spectrum we're so different. I'm not that shy or anything, but he has that cool-guy ability to just talk to anyone, and he is one of those guys who just fucking knows EVERYONE. :P

Hey, might not be a bad idea to hang out with him more! 

Eva

Eva
  • Rebel Without a Car

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,119 posts
  • Joined Jun 09, 2011
  • 4,447 rep
I've been trying to be more active lately but it's just so hard with school. =/ I have marching band every day after school (except for Wednesday) and that works because it's hardcore aerobic exercise for an hour and a half to three hours, depending on what day it is. And I've started using my treadmill again 'cause I finally fixed it and that helps because it's a Crosswalk, which means I can do the little arm workout thing while I walk/run as well.

I'd really like to do weight lifting or something though, because my lower half is pretty strong but I don't have much upper body strength. Unfortunately, the only thing I can thing of are arm extensions with water bottles or going to the gym and there's absolutely no way I could make it to the gym with my schedule right now. :( I also want to work on my core so I do planks or crunches when I can but that usually only happens if I end up with more free time than expected.

Comrade

Comrade
  • Razzamataz

• 6,783 posts
  • Joined Aug 31, 2008
  • 5,536 rep

Too achey yesterday and I forgot to set an alarm today. Fuck sake. So I'm going after work after all today. Going to temp fate and see if I can get 155kg off the floor. Won't be heartbroken if I don't. 

The guy I first started with benched one and a half mes in front of me on my first day ever at the gym. Don't feel out done, use it as 'I will do that one day.' :) It's such an intimidating thing though, working yourself into the ground in a room full of big guys. It feels like their territory. But So many of those big intimidating guys have come over and given me tips, corrected technique and jumped in to spot me if I've looked like faltering. On Saturday I got to play that role. There was a kid in on his own, obviously new, doing some stuff but mostly flapping around. I gave him a couple of tips, and the guy was golden. That same workout some massive guy asked me to spot him incline benching something I could never do. I know not every gym is the same, but my experiences are spread over three gyms, and there is no place dedicated to fitness where at least someone isn't willing to help, cause everyone was new once. 

Juliette

Juliette
  • Wanderlust

• 9,082 posts
  • Joined May 04, 2007
  • 1,102 rep

God bless elliptical machines, I can finally do cardio again without further damaging my ankle :happy: It feels really good to be back in a regular exercise routine again, even if it'll just be for a couple of weeks hopefully I can tone up a bit before I go travelling. I booked myself into yoga tomorrow as well, first time I'll be doing that so hopefully I enjoy it.

• Comrade likes this

Comrade

Comrade
  • Razzamataz

• 6,783 posts
  • Joined Aug 31, 2008
  • 5,536 rep
Failed 155. Bar slipped out of my hand, but it wasn't a grip fail - the bar was too slippery and I'd forgotten my gloves so there was no keeping hold. Annoying, but I reckon I'll get it in a week. Managed to get in and out in an hour though, really numbed my legs.

Advertising

She-Loves-Him

She-Loves-Him
  • chase that disco ball around

• 13,269 posts
  • Joined Mar 05, 2006
  • 2,307 rep

Wanted to go to the gym yesterday and today but I've got a massive knot or something in my right shoulder blade and it's killing me. Hardly slept last night cause I couldn't get comfortable and I couldn't move. So probably best that I don't go :(

Not sure if I did something to my back/shoulder when I was at the gym on Sunday or if it's from how I've been sitting in bed with my laptop =/

Juliette

Juliette
  • Wanderlust

• 9,082 posts
  • Joined May 04, 2007
  • 1,102 rep

Oh man yoga was so great. Only downside is I had planned on doing some cardio after but I was far too calm & relaxed for that! So I guess today's been a rest day, but seeing as I did an hour of yoga plus my usual morning leg bum & ab stuff & hour of hula hooping (Idek if that's really exercise but it's better than nothing) I don't feel like I've been too lazy. 

CristhyneS

CristhyneS
  • Dominated Love Slave

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts
  • Joined Sep 07, 2005
  • 1,022 rep

I went jogging today for the first time in months, and boy am out of shape! And I knew I missed it, but I didn't realize how much until this afternoon. I'm definitely going jogging again tomorrow. 

Comrade

Comrade
  • Razzamataz

• 6,783 posts
  • Joined Aug 31, 2008
  • 5,536 rep
Just had one of the worst gym experiences of my life. I've always been skepticql of pre-workouts - I've never seen the point of dumping a load of chemicals and caffeine in your system to juice yourself into an extra couple of reps that will make very little difference to your gains - but I got some free with a bundle deal of protein I got, so I thought I'd try it. I had half the recommended dose, but half way through the workout I felt my heart jumping out my chest, shakey and nauseated. It crippled my strength and endurance, though I had a much greater pump to look at than usual. Never again. It felt so toxic. I don't drink caffeine at all, though I've had more in my system than this have me and been fine during a workout. I honestly can't thing of anything more horrible or pointless. I felt drained of energy but awkwardly buzzed at the same time. Nothing but rat poison, and this was a relatively clean one compared to some of the shit out there.
  • Cath likes this

Daughter.of.Rage.and.Love

Daughter.of.Rage.and.Love
  • No, this is Patrick

• 30,644 posts
  • Joined Oct 23, 2008
  • 3,611 rep

I love how rowing season has begun and I get to work out regularly again, but that also means that it's back to the erg regularly. I hate those machines. They kill your spirit and they kill your legs. Afterwards you feel really drained and great at the same time, but it's so soul-numbing while doing it. The thing you want most in the world is to stop but you can't :P 

Stacie Anne

Stacie Anne
  • 12,338 posts
  • Joined Jun 21, 2006
  • 7,036 rep

so whenever i do squats, my knees/ankles kill me. is that normal? i've got really bad knees so i'm not surprised they hurt, but the fact it's a warm, radiating feeling & it's effecting my ankles.. figured i'd ask. 

She-Loves-Him

She-Loves-Him
  • chase that disco ball around

• 13,269 posts
  • Joined Mar 05, 2006
  • 2,307 rep

Got my ass to the gym today finally. Going to go again in the morning as well.

Unfortunately I'm only able to entertain myself for like 20-30 minutes while I'm there but right now I'm just trying to get in the habit of going. Eventually I'll come up with a plan of what I'll do when I'm there but can't be bothered right now.

AlissaGoesRAWR

AlissaGoesRAWR
  • Tomnomnom's Publicist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,934 posts
  • Joined May 14, 2012
  • 4,192 rep

Just had one of the worst gym experiences of my life. I've always been skepticql of pre-workouts - I've never seen the point of dumping a load of chemicals and caffeine in your system to juice yourself into an extra couple of reps that will make very little difference to your gains - but I got some free with a bundle deal of protein I got, so I thought I'd try it. I had half the recommended dose, but half way through the workout I felt my heart jumping out my chest, shakey and nauseated. It crippled my strength and endurance, though I had a much greater pump to look at than usual. Never again. It felt so toxic. I don't drink caffeine at all, though I've had more in my system than this have me and been fine during a workout. I honestly can't thing of anything more horrible or pointless. I felt drained of energy but awkwardly buzzed at the same time. Nothing but rat poison, and this was a relatively clean one compared to some of the shit out there.

The only functional use for pre-workout is to induce a pre-party hype. Mix it with some alcohol, and woo, no hangovers! :D

• wood likes this

Comrade

Comrade
  • Razzamataz

• 6,783 posts
  • Joined Aug 31, 2008
  • 5,536 rep

so whenever i do squats, my knees/ankles kill me. is that normal? i've got really bad knees so i'm not surprised they hurt, but the fact it's a warm, radiating feeling & it's effecting my ankles.. figured i'd ask. 

If your body isn't used to those movements and not properly warmed up, it can cause ligaments in those pressure points to ache. So don't worry. Make sure you do some ankle circles and lunges in addition to any warm ups you currently do before squatting, and as you do them more and get used to squatting that ache will fade away. My ankles always ache if I squat for the first time in ages, and until I built up my leg muscles on the leg machines I couldn't squat at all because of my bad knee. 

The only functional use for pre-workout is to induce a pre-party hype. Mix it with some alcohol, and woo, no hangovers! :D

I'll bear that in mind. :lol:

Drank quite heavily yesterday - my cure is vitamin and anti-oxidant tablets. I take them every day anyway, but I double the dose and I'm normally without too bad a hangover. 

• Stacie Anne likes this

Maddy.

Maddy.
  • i am groot

• 26,706 posts
  • Joined Jun 15, 2009
  • 7,234 rep
I did the worst and skipped leg day today. The shame the shame.

But I did go to the dentist. And I will still do legs tomorrow because I feel gross.

missminority182

missminority182
  • You Can't Kill the Me in You

• 8,313 posts
  • Joined Dec 06, 2011
  • 1,748 rep

im playing at least 5 sets of badminton with my hyper cousin every other day, to get me started with excercising. At least it's physical enough right now, and im outside so.. .:whistle:

wood

wood
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts
  • Joined Mar 04, 2014
  • 554 rep

On the topic of preworkouts, I just bought one called "Mr. Hyde." And it does just what you would think. I took a full scoop and turned into a damn animal. Pretty much blacked out. Don't remember working out for two hours. Got home, recorded a song and sent angsty tweets. This stuff will not be legal in three months and I don't take more than half a scoop at any given time now.

Some PWOs show up as amphetamines on drug tests because that's pretty much what they are. I concentrate on one thing very well while I'm under the influence of one. It's kinda crazy. In a good way.

Mix it with alcohol and you'll have a night to remember! Best part is, because of the neuro-stimulants, you cannot black out. You're too focused!

• missminority182 likes this

CristhyneS

CristhyneS
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,639 posts
  • Joined Sep 07, 2005
  • 1,022 rep

Ran 3,5km yesterday! Way less than my usual, but I did good time and considering how long I had been without working out at all I thought I'd be worse. Noe I'm just praying that the greyness in the sky doesn't bring any rain so I can go out for my run today :) 

• missminority182 likes this

CristhyneS

CristhyneS
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,639 posts
  • Joined Sep 07, 2005
  • 1,022 rep

Just got back from my run. 4km today! :)

• Cath likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users