Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Fitness Support Thread

• Please log in to reply
3895 replies to this topic

Not Anyone.

Not Anyone.
  • Psychological Terrorist

• 12,897 posts
  • Joined Aug 19, 2013
  • 13,235 rep

No worries dude. I know how hard it is going in the gym the first few times not knowing what to do and feeling unworthy or something. I had a guy who helped me, and loads of people have stepped in and given me tips and encouragement so I'm always happy to do the same. If you want any help putting together a program or anything just shout and we'll have a chat. 

Yeah, I did feel a bit out of my depth the first time I went, but since it's quite an expensive gym it seems to be full of people who actually take it seriously and no one was paying me any attention anyway. But yeah, I'd love some help putting a program together if you wouldn't mind, thanks!

Ian...

Ian...
  • Little One

• PipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Joined Feb 25, 2013
  • 74 rep

I got a gym membership for my birthday a couple of months ago. I've been working out for most of the Summer, and I lost about 10 pounds...

wood

wood
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 692 posts
  • Joined Mar 04, 2014
  • 546 rep
Gym has been closed for five days cuz people keep stealing stuff. I'm going to go crazy. I need to pick up heavy things and set them back down.

Not Anyone.

Not Anyone.

• 12,897 posts
  • Joined Aug 19, 2013
  • 13,235 rep

I need to pick up heavy things and set them back down.

You'll be the governor of California in no time.

• AlissaGoesRAWR and Stacie Anne like this

wood

wood
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 692 posts
  • Joined Mar 04, 2014
  • 546 rep

You'll be the governor of California in no time.

Wanna go lift some weights, mang?
  • Not Anyone. likes this

Sarcasm

Sarcasm
  • Panty Purée

• 15,568 posts
  • Joined Mar 18, 2009
  • 9,671 rep

Wanna go lift some weights, mang?

When I had no money and really wanted to work out, I took gaffa tape and filled bottles of water and made my own weights. 1 liter of water is 1kg, so you'll need a lot. Doing flies is really the only thing I could do that wasn't too light though

AlissaGoesRAWR

AlissaGoesRAWR
  • Tomnomnom's Publicist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,782 posts
  • Joined May 14, 2012
  • 4,055 rep

Planet Fitness was nothing but great to me.

They have a "lunk alarm" which sounds if they hear or see anyone being ridiculous. However, it's up to the workers to decide on that. If you're excessively grunting and screaming, yeah, it's gonna sound. If you're slamming weights just to be a douche, it's gonna go off. If you're deadlifting, it won't go off. At least it never did in my experience. It actually never once went off while I was there.

PF got me back into lifting after BG and I took off from there. Tons of spot training machines. It's cardio bunny heaven. :bunny:  They also have a PF 20-minute workout room for those in a hurry. It's like a dumbed-down version of Insanity with a few machines.

Downside: they serve pizza every Tuesday. It's stupid. They give you tootsie rolls and pop, as well. And not a ton of free weights. Seriously, I doubt their free weights add up to a ton total.

Upside: the crowd is the opposite of intimidating. They don't judge you. (Not that I've felt judgement other places, but whatevs.) It's clean. You can watch TV while running. Much like at Urban Active when I would watch sex scenes with peeps in the cardio movie room and we all had a good time.

They have these things called Smiths Machines. It's essentially a squat, bench, deadlifting and overhead press rack, but it's completely controlled and stationary. If you start to fail, roll your wrist and the bar inserts into a peg. Kinda nice, but doesn't help with the surrounding muscle game.

The stereotype is that it's a gym for fat and lazy people to go to and feel like they're doing something, despite sitting around, eating pizza and watching TV. Which, I did see. But then you have people, like myself, who ain't there to fukk around for an hour so I can tell my nagging wife that I'm working on my heart condition despite taking up a machine and continuing to add more pressure on to the Earth in the form of amorphis blob. Take Urban Active, minus the huge dudes, free weights, ropes, bondage equipment, tires and grunting, but add a bunch of people who won't spot you, won't judge you, won't motivate you, but will eat your pizza and watch in envy as you still have the thin privilege of moving.

It's essentially the "Average Joes" gym from Dodgeball or whatever. If you get the VIP or "Black" membership, you get to have a partner in free, use the tanning beds (sheiiit, you're translucent - I can literally see through you) and massage beds. Bad thing 'bout the massage beds: you're kinda on display as people walk by. They can look in and watch ya get all squishy.

But shit, it's like $10 to sign up and $10 a month. Gopher it.

I'm at least going to check it out, for sure. I mean, I feel like it's one of those things where you only get out of it what you put into it, but technically aren't all gyms that way, anyway? Honestly, the "no douchey bros" aspect of it sounds extremely appealing.

And the only way I could see the pizza thing working is if it was a sort of "this is your only junk food you get this week" sort of reward system, because in my opinion everyone needs to cave once in a while in order to keep themselves motivated (if I completely starved myself 24/7 I'd basically go insane...). However, I seriously doubt even a fraction of the people who go there have that sort of mentality. 

wood

wood
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 692 posts
  • Joined Mar 04, 2014
  • 546 rep

Tried out a new preworkout called "Mr. Hyde." Took only half a scoop, just to test it. (Note: some people take four scoops of this shit.)

I was out of my God damn mind. I pretty much blacked out from caffeine intake and had the workout of a lifetime. 100 straight minutes and I turned down for nothing. The amount of beta alanine in this bitch will make you feel like your blood is glitter, which I LOVE.

I'm still going crazy on it. All I want to do is record music. And workout more. And play Skyrim. And clean.

First time I do a full scoop, I'll post in the drug thread, cuz that's basically what this is. Legal amphetamines.

Emilie.

Emilie.
  • Super Nintendo Chalmers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,978 posts
  • Joined Jun 18, 2010
  • 4,388 rep

I saw my rheumatologist today and she's given me a page of exercises to try that will hopefully help my joint and back pain. Just 20 minutes a day with some stretching too. Fingers crossed it helps!

Lindsay

Lindsay
  • Tittysprinkles

• 5,870 posts
  • Joined Mar 08, 2010
  • 3,904 rep

Went on a 40km cycle today and only managed to do 30km of it, I'm a bit more out of shape than I thought I was. =/ I was really hoping I could finish the last 10km but it was to the point where I was dizzy and could barely even move my legs so there's no way I could have finished it. I'm a bit disappointed, but now I have some motivation to start going to the gym more often so we can do the whole thing next year. :) 

Comrade

Comrade
  • Razzamataz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,733 posts
  • Joined Aug 31, 2008
  • 5,476 rep

Managed to go to the little gym a couple of times over the week, but it was poorly air conditioned and I just can't cut working out in 30 degree Managed some decent routines, but all the being in the sea was exercise enough. Diet was atrocious. So much booze and ice cream, I feel so stolid and bloated now, but it was a nice break from things. It'll be nice to head back into things with no niggles and a clean slate. 

Yeah, I did feel a bit out of my depth the first time I went, but since it's quite an expensive gym it seems to be full of people who actually take it seriously and no one was paying me any attention anyway. But yeah, I'd love some help putting a program together if you wouldn't mind, thanks!

Alright, well I'm back from holiday now so once I'm settled I'll have a think.

• Not Anyone. likes this

Not Anyone.

Not Anyone.

• 12,897 posts
  • Joined Aug 19, 2013
  • 13,235 rep

I played squash for the first time tonight. It's the most knackering sport I've ever played in my life, even though I suck at it, haha.

In other news, my trial membership at this posh gym ends on Monday and I really don't want it to. It's usually around £100 a month and the facilities are amazing, but after Monday I'm gonna have to go to a no frills one for £17 a month. I'm really gonna miss the pools, jacuzzi and tennis courts.

WhiteTim

WhiteTim
  • Peacemaker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,914 posts
  • Joined May 16, 2010
  • 1,050 rep
I haven't went to my gym in 3 months I feel bad as I'm paying for it every month but health issues has been acting up

Just got home from the park with the kiddo and an so tired

Maddy.

Maddy.
  • northern sailor

• 26,473 posts
  • Joined Jun 15, 2009
  • 7,002 rep

might nick my sisters gym tag and go tomorrow but if they find out its not her then idk what happens and im not a rebel

.Holly

.Holly
  • Dominated Love Slave

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,903 posts
  • Joined Apr 01, 2009
  • 1,044 rep

I ran 6K yesterday without feeling like I was going to die! Actually I felt like I had a bit left in me. The 10K training plan is going well! My main problem is that I'm flat footed and I usually wear orthotics in my shoes, but they really hurt my feet when I'm running because of they're completely rigid. I'm just worried that if I regularly run without them it might be bad for my joints etc. Anyone got any advice/experience with flat footed running and/or orthotics?

I also downloaded that myfitnesspal app and have started a 10 week weight loss programme. I'm not fat but I've got a little on my tummy and hips I wouldn't mind losing. It's all about calories burned > calories eaten. Actually it's not too hard as long as you burn 300 calories exercising everyday. I would recommend it for anyone looking to lose weight, it really makes you think about how even little things like juice and snacks make a big difference. 

• Comrade and Cath like this

Advertising

Vesper

Vesper
  • Outlander

• 17,960 posts
  • Joined Jun 10, 2010
  • 6,583 rep

My body fat percentage is shocking. I can't wait to get back to the gym. 

Emilie.

Emilie.

• 13,978 posts
  • Joined Jun 18, 2010
  • 4,388 rep

how high are you supposed to come up on a crunch? Everything I read says your shoulders should be 4 inches off the ground, but obviously when I'm doing a crunch I can't see how high they are. 

Comrade

Comrade
  • Razzamataz

• 6,733 posts
  • Joined Aug 31, 2008
  • 5,476 rep

Don't go up all the way. I work on the basis that go up until your eyes are level, or just beyond level, with your knees.

Emilie.

Emilie.

• 13,978 posts
  • Joined Jun 18, 2010
  • 4,388 rep

Don't go up all the way. I work on the basis that go up until your eyes are level, or just beyond level, with your knees.

okay. I feel like I might be staying too low then. It's harder now because I used to rest my hands in front of me and that was helping me up a bit. But now I hold them up on my chest and it's harder to get up :lol:

I guess the other way I can do core things is to start in the sitting position, then lower myself back almost to the ground and raise myself up. I always found those better because I can stay down as long as I want. And while you're down you can twist to get the sides at the same time

Comrade

Comrade
  • Razzamataz

• 6,733 posts
  • Joined Aug 31, 2008
  • 5,476 rep

First day back today and I managed to up my deadlift PB to 152.5kg. Would love to get it up to 160kg by Christmas, though that's ambitious as fuck. Not sure quite how much I'll be getting into the gym this week what with work starting again and Mad's visiting, but hopefully I can get some semblance of routine involved again. 

okay. I feel like I might be staying too low then. It's harder now because I used to rest my hands in front of me and that was helping me up a bit. But now I hold them up on my chest and it's harder to get up :lol:

I guess the other way I can do core things is to start in the sitting position, then lower myself back almost to the ground and raise myself up. I always found those better because I can stay down as long as I want. And while you're down you can twist to get the sides at the same time

Yeah any variation of the crunch, whether starting at the top or from the floor - will essentially do the same job. Also consider sitting on a medicine ball with your legs planted in front of you and doing them on that. It stops you using your lower back as much and it works more stabilisers because your legs and hips are constantly working to keep you in the right position to do the crunch motion. Overally for core I do prefer leg raises to crunches though, I feel more of a pull and tense through my whole core

wood

wood
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 692 posts
  • Joined Mar 04, 2014
  • 546 rep

For those who deadlift: do you just drop the weights straight down when you get to the top of the lift or do you set them down?

Because I get self-conscious about the noise and I don't want to break anything, I set the 280+ lbs. down as light as possible, making minimal noise. I have a feeling that if I ditched that method, I could easily add more to my deadlift.

Comrade

Comrade
  • Razzamataz

• 6,733 posts
  • Joined Aug 31, 2008
  • 5,476 rep

I set them down with a bang. The lowering phase is more important than the pull for building strength because of the added time under tension and the lowering (returning to start position part of any given exercise always recruiting more muscle fibres than the lifting process. You lose a lot of the effort in just letting it go of a deadlift, and every guy I know who can lift 200kg+ lowers rather than drops. 

wood

wood
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 692 posts
  • Joined Mar 04, 2014
  • 546 rep

I set them down with a bang. The lowering phase is more important than the pull for building strength because of the added time under tension and the lowering (returning to start position part of any given exercise always recruiting more muscle fibres than the lifting process. You lose a lot of the effort in just letting it go of a deadlift, and every guy I know who can lift 200kg+ lowers rather than drops. 

That's what drives me nuts about people who will deadlift one plate or less and slam that shit to the ground. It's like...really? You're trying to be a douche.
Do you want broken plates? Cuz that's how we get broken plates.

Maddy.

Maddy.
  • northern sailor

• 26,473 posts
  • Joined Jun 15, 2009
  • 7,002 rep

That's what drives me nuts about people who will deadlift one plate or less and slam that shit to the ground. It's like...really? You're trying to be a douche.
Do you want broken plates? Cuz that's how we get broken plates.

Took my sister with me to the gym and she was like "so do you drop it after the lift" I was like dude this is 50 kg are you kidding? Bless her

She-Loves-Him

She-Loves-Him
  • Have you seen my bear Tibbers?

• 13,135 posts
  • Joined Mar 05, 2006
  • 2,256 rep

May very well go to the gym tonight since no one else is home here. Starting to feel shitty about paying for it but only going once or twice a month lately :(

Kaddi.

Kaddi.
  • Hello stranger, I'm a disaster.

• 13,733 posts
  • Joined Mar 28, 2006
  • 1,801 rep

Aching muscles in the stomach area are the worst. I always feel like I'm sick. :lol: Fitness boxing was pretty cool though yesterday and our instructor is considering to offer an additional class on Tuesday, so I could actually go twice a week. :woot:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users