Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Fitness Support Thread

• Please log in to reply
3838 replies to this topic

Cath

Cath
  • stick it to the man

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,487 posts
  • Joined Nov 24, 2012
  • 3,944 rep

i spent around 1 hour and an half. ~ 30 minutes of cardio and 1h of weights 

but by the time of getting there, changing clothes and taking my shower it takes around 2h of my day

Vesper

Vesper
  • Sand Snake

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,891 posts
  • Joined Jun 10, 2010
  • 6,540 rep

I normally do just over an hour. In the "normal" gym I get a bit bored if I spend longer than that. 

Juliette

Juliette
  • Wanderlust

• 9,051 posts
  • Joined May 04, 2007
  • 1,069 rep

Went for a 32 mile cycle yesterday. I'd been meaning to do that route for ages but my god it was a bitch. Gravel path most of the way, plus a pretty strong headwind. Felt good at the end of it though, it's the first real exercise I've done since I sprained my ankle 6 weeks ago but it's still killing me, I was really struggling to use it by the end =/ I've also been doing a ton of lifting lately, 8 hours a day shifting furniture & fridges up & down stairs has made my muscles hurt in such a good way. I wish my ankle would just hurry up & heal, I've missed being able to push myself.

She-Loves-Him

She-Loves-Him
  • Have you seen my bear Tibbers?

• 13,013 posts
  • Joined Mar 05, 2006
  • 2,204 rep
Went on a hike at a conservation area all day and my body is so sore and tired. Out of shape..

Emilie.

Emilie.
  • Super Nintendo Chalmers

• 13,531 posts
  • Joined Jun 18, 2010
  • 4,126 rep

Starting to slowly do more again. 100 squats a day in the morning, to wake myself up - 80 normal and 20 one-legged. I'm on a stronger painkiller now that helps my hands a lot, so I'll start push-ups again soon. The cool thing about the squats is they get me out of breath too, which I haven't felt in ages :happy: Not seriously out of breath, but just enough to know I'm working. It's mostly the one-legged squats that do it, especially on my bad leg. When I do them after my shower with the room still warm and steamy, my hip doesn't hurt at all! So that's good, but I'm still so unused to even leaning on the leg that it's clearly weaker than my other leg.

Comrade

Comrade
  • Razzamataz

• 6,633 posts
  • Joined Aug 31, 2008
  • 5,329 rep

Today will be the second of a 6-days-in-a-row streak before I head off to Holland. Working every body part twice within those two days. Yesterday was the big lifting legs and shoulders day, and I'm feeling fresh despite going out last night after. Like I said elsewhere, I've gained 5lb in a couple of weeks, and performance is slightly higher again. Monday I'm repeating the exact workout I did three Mondays before, but with slightly heavier weights. That''ll be the litmus test for progress. 

I recommend every month or so people exactly copy something they did a month previously but with slightly greater resistance. It just allows you to measure progress properly.

Vesper

Vesper
  • Sand Snake

• 17,891 posts
  • Joined Jun 10, 2010
  • 6,540 rep

Haven't been to the gym in about a week! Oops... must make the effort to go tomorrow. My council gym is so uninspiring. 

Comrade

Comrade
  • Razzamataz

• 6,633 posts
  • Joined Aug 31, 2008
  • 5,329 rep

Well I'm at the end of the six days without rest from those intense workouts, and I feel far fresher than I did last time I had a six-day spree. No niggles, no lasting aches. Did every body part twice over the six days. The durability and endurance is going up and up, which is great. For the next month I'll keep this up but replace one exercise for each body part with a big, super-heavy 1-3 rep exercise to push the top end strength, and finish with isolation stuff like chest press machines or preacher curls.

I've also noticed I'm sweating less at the end of workouts. These last few weeks have been pretty athletic in their approach, really getting thew heart beat up. Even without doing formal cardio, it's having an effect. 

Kaddi.

Kaddi.
  • Hello stranger, I'm a disaster.

• 13,648 posts
  • Joined Mar 28, 2006
  • 1,763 rep
Fitness boxing was great yesterday. :happy: And I don't even have any sore muscles today. I think working out with the theraband and doing sit ups really pays off. I just wish the instructor would stop being so worried about me all the time. I get that she doesn't want me to pass out again, but I'm pretty sure it was just a one time thing and I don't want the extra treatment all the time. =/
  • Comrade likes this

Armstr0ng

Armstr0ng
  • Little One

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Joined May 10, 2014
  • 8 rep
At the gym right now, I need to drop like fifty pounds.

.Holly

.Holly
  • Dominated Love Slave

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,874 posts
  • Joined Apr 01, 2009
  • 1,027 rep

I've decided to start running, I cycle to work everyday but it's not really helping me lose any weight or stay particularly fit, so I reckon running is the best option. Got an 8 week programme to follow building up to a 10 km. Would be well chuffed if I could manage my first 10K in under an hour, but we'll have to see!

• Comrade likes this

Fuzz

Fuzz
  • Professional Cocksmith

• 38,055 posts
  • Joined May 28, 2004
  • 14,974 rep

Weighed myself this morning for the first time in a while. It's the most I've ever weighed. I'm really disappointed in myself. I hit these apathetic swings of depression or ... something (not really depression, just literally apathy) where I don't really care about what I'm doing. I don't go out, I eat fast food, I watch TV, I browse online, I do a little work on GDA, eat more fast food, then regret how I spent the day. But it doesn't change. It's really really fucking disappointing.

Last night I decided that I need to put effort in to this. At the absolute minimum, counting calories and putting some limits on what I eat. I should start walking again soon just to start doing some exercise and see if I can't work myself back up to riding the bike every day. 

Reading over this topic, I can't help but feel like I'm so far removed from the progress being made by you guys. But I know I have to start somewhere again. 

Not Anyone.

Not Anyone.
  • Only enough to control you.

• 11,657 posts
  • Joined Aug 19, 2013
  • 11,578 rep

Weighted myself this morning for the first time in a while. It's the most I've ever weighed. I'm really disappointed in myself. I hit these apathetic swings of depression or ... something (not really depression, just literally apathy) where I don't really care about what I'm doing. I don't go out, I eat fast food, I watch TV, I browse online, I do a little work on GDA, eat more fast food, then regret how I spent the day. But it doesn't change. It's really really fucking disappointing.

Last night I decided that I need to put effort in to this. At the absolute minimum, counting calories and putting some limits on what I eat. I should start walking again soon just to start doing some exercise and see if I can't work myself back up to riding the bike every day. 

Reading over this topic, I can't help but feel like I'm so far removed from the progress being made by you guys. But I know I have to start somewhere again. 

This sounds so much like me it's scary. Apart from the bit about GDA that's just me. I know how you feel and it does suck, but getting started is arguably the most important step. I saw my doctor yesterday and I'm at the point where my breathing is being affected by my weight, having put on nearly 70 lbs in four years. It's time for me to make a change too. Personally my situation kind of reminds me of Ricky Gervais telling a story about a woman who had her stomach stapled because she ate ten portions of pie and chips a day, and suggested nine a day as an alternative.

Emilie.

Emilie.

• 13,531 posts
  • Joined Jun 18, 2010
  • 4,126 rep

I love being able to see the change in my legs. Didn't think just doing 100 squats every 2 days would do anything, but I can see & feel my thigh muscles better already.

Gonna up to 100 every day now, rather than every 2 days. It's just something I can do while I shower or do dinner so. Shame I can't really think of any other exercises =/ my hands are getting worse again so push-ups are out.

Maddy.

Maddy.
  • northern sailor

• 26,149 posts
  • Joined Jun 15, 2009
  • 6,590 rep

I love being able to see the change in my legs. Didn't think just doing 100 squats every 2 days would do anything, but I can see & feel my thigh muscles better already.

Gonna up to 100 every day now, rather than every 2 days. It's just something I can do while I shower or do dinner so. Shame I can't really think of any other exercises =/ my hands are getting worse again so push-ups are out.

Lunges would be good for your legs! Crunches (not sit ups because they're no good if your back isn't super strong) would be good too. Also this exercise (I've forgotten what it's called) doesn't use your hands and is great for your bum and your lower back. Hmm, just trying to think of more things that don't involve hands. Do you have an exercise/physio ball? They're good for doing exercises that require balance so you strengthen all the lil stabilisers in your back/core.

Advertising

Emilie.

Emilie.

• 13,531 posts
  • Joined Jun 18, 2010
  • 4,126 rep

Lunges would be good for your legs! Crunches (not sit ups because they're no good if your back isn't super strong) would be good too. Also this exercise (I've forgotten what it's called) doesn't use your hands and is great for your bum and your lower back. Hmm, just trying to think of more things that don't involve hands. Do you have an exercise/physio ball? They're good for doing exercises that require balance so you strengthen all the lil stabilisers in your back/core.

Oh yeah I love that one in the photo
I do have a physio ball, I keep it at my desk to force myself to keep good posture when I study :lol:

Maddy.

Maddy.
  • northern sailor

• 26,149 posts
  • Joined Jun 15, 2009
  • 6,590 rep

Oh yeah I love that one in the photo
I do have a physio ball, I keep it at my desk to force myself to keep good posture when I study :lol:

That's a great idea thank you I'm going to start doing that!

Just thought of another exercise you can do. The plank where you balance on your elbows and not your hands. Would that work do you think?

Emilie.

Emilie.

• 13,531 posts
  • Joined Jun 18, 2010
  • 4,126 rep

Just thought of another exercise you can do. The plank where you balance on your elbows and not your hands. Would that work do you think?

yeah probably. I'll try that too

Maddy.

Maddy.
  • northern sailor

• 26,149 posts
  • Joined Jun 15, 2009
  • 6,590 rep

yeah probably. I'll try that too

I'm dumb I mean forearms not elbows!! I hope it works for you :)

Daughter.of.Rage.and.Love

Daughter.of.Rage.and.Love
  • No, this is Patrick

• 30,503 posts
  • Joined Oct 23, 2008
  • 3,544 rep
Wall sitting while brushing your teeth is great too.

Comrade

Comrade
  • Razzamataz

• 6,633 posts
  • Joined Aug 31, 2008
  • 5,329 rep

Don't worry about other people's progress man, it's you that matters.

Walking is the most underrated yet effective exersice there is. It has a stunning effect on your body and mental state. Aim to do an hour walking a day at first. Not all at once though. Three 20 minute spells. No music. Just walking. Once you get into that habit you can do anything. It's just cracking the sedentary seal.

The biggest mistake people make when trying to get fitter is taking too much on. It puts people off, too much of a change. But walking is easy and it'll make a huge change to your mental state. it truly us the nuts.
  • Fuzz likes this

colour_me_stupid_

colour_me_stupid_
  • disappearin' in the fade

• 8,203 posts
  • Joined Jan 07, 2007
  • 1,501 rep
Holiday is officially over now so back to it now :lol: it'll be good to get 'exercise' sweaty again!

Vesper

Vesper
  • Sand Snake

• 17,891 posts
  • Joined Jun 10, 2010
  • 6,540 rep

Wall sitting while brushing your teeth is great too.

I might try this. :P

I'm actually really surprised I haven't put on (much) weight this summer I've been at home. I suppose we have been eating a lot of salads etc. but I've hardly been doing any exercise... 

Fucking gym being so expensive. 

Fuzz

Fuzz
  • Professional Cocksmith

• 38,055 posts
  • Joined May 28, 2004
  • 14,974 rep

Don't worry about other people's progress man, it's you that matters.

Walking is the most underrated yet effective exersice there is. It has a stunning effect on your body and mental state. Aim to do an hour walking a day at first. Not all at once though. Three 20 minute spells. No music. Just walking. Once you get into that habit you can do anything. It's just cracking the sedentary seal.

The biggest mistake people make when trying to get fitter is taking too much on. It puts people off, too much of a change. But walking is easy and it'll make a huge change to your mental state. it truly us the nuts.

Thanks for that. The three 20 minute walks is a very good idea to get started.

.Holly

.Holly
  • Dominated Love Slave

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,874 posts
  • Joined Apr 01, 2009
  • 1,027 rep

Sheesh my thighs are getting tighter and more painful by the minute as I'm sitting at my desk!! I managed 5K in 30 mins last night though, so pleased about that since it was only my first time. Downloaded one of those cool apps that tracks your run. Clearly my body has got some adapting to do before this becomes unpainful!

Comrade

Comrade
  • Razzamataz

• 6,633 posts
  • Joined Aug 31, 2008
  • 5,329 rep
Finally managed the 150kg Deadlift yesterday. Culmination of a years work paid off, did it clean and my grip was good. Been aiming for this for 18 months, I'm so pleased. It's a benchmark I set for myself.

Now to get my bench to 100. :P
  • .Holly likes this

Vesper

Vesper
  • Sand Snake

• 17,891 posts
  • Joined Jun 10, 2010
  • 6,540 rep

Finally managed the 150kg Deadlift yesterday. Culmination of a years work paid off, did it clean and my grip was good. Been aiming for this for 18 months, I'm so pleased. It's a benchmark I set for myself.

Now to get my bench to 100. :P

Um, excuse my ignorance but what is a deadlift? Is that where you're just standing up and you pick the weights up? Whereas bench you're lying down? :S

I have clearly never been in the weights room. :P

Comrade

Comrade
  • Razzamataz

• 6,633 posts
  • Joined Aug 31, 2008
  • 5,329 rep

Um, excuse my ignorance but what is a deadlift? Is that where you're just standing up and you pick the weights up? Whereas bench you're lying down? :S

I have clearly never been in the weights room. :P

Haha yeah. Bench press and Deadlift. Along with Squats, they are the three compound exercises that together work everything. They're the traditional Olympic strong man lifts, and the three most important weight lifting exercises for building a balanced body. You could only do those three movements and get a 'perfect' body that is strong, functional and aesthetically pleasing to the eye. 

Maddy.

Maddy.
  • northern sailor

• 26,149 posts
  • Joined Jun 15, 2009
  • 6,590 rep

im so achy i just want to lie down in the office and nurse my poor leggies

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users