Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
The results of the Bobo Awards are now available here! Didn't get to vote? Go support our boys by voting for them here. I know we can beat Paramore this time.

Photo

Fitness Support Thread

• Please log in to reply
3981 replies to this topic

anarchistgirlscout

anarchistgirlscout
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • Joined Apr 25, 2011
  • 149 rep
If this is already another thread somewhere, I apologize. I looked and couldn't find one.

On other online communities that I belong to there are these fitness support threads for people trying to improve their level of fitness. I always start trying to participate in them because I like the tips and support, but then things get too, um, rediculous for me. People start saying things like, "weight loss journey," and, "will power breaking points." Everyone gets really mushy and emotional, and I just don't enjoy that much. I mean, I'm fat, not mental.

Anyway, I was thinking that maybe there would be some other like-minded people here who would appreciate a support thread without all the Richard-Simmons-esque emotion.

Anyone interested could state their goal and progress and any new exercise routines or recipes to help out others. Or, it will just end up with me being a lonely fat ass talking to myself and other people might be able to laugh about that. Either way - it's win-win.

So, my current weight is 275. I'd like to get down to under 250 by Christmas. I'm currently walking a little over twenty miles a week (one day of a 10.7 mile walk, and then three days of 3.2 mile walks) and I eat a vegan diet because of allergies. I'm going to try to keep my calorie count at 1200.
  • Jozinbrejl and georgielikesgreenday like this

-Billiejoezee-

-Billiejoezee-
  • Billie Hoe Assthong

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,629 posts
  • Joined Jan 12, 2009
  • 1,567 rep
I need to loose a lot of weight too. I think this is a good idea of a thread.

anarchistgirlscout

anarchistgirlscout
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • Joined Apr 25, 2011
  • 149 rep
Oh, I forgot! I also lift weights once a week for 30 - 45 minutes. I like that because the guy I work out with is hilarious and Swedish.

Edited by anarchistgirlscout, 09 September 2011 - 08:55 PM.

pasalaska

pasalaska
  • Dearly Beloved

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,721 posts
  • Joined May 01, 2006
  • 2,961 rep
You may want to have a look at these two clubs:

Sports Club
Health Club

They're good places to chat with people that have interests in those areas. You have to have 100+ posts to see those forums, but you're only 8 posts away.
In fact, there may be room for a weight loss club in the club forum. Again, once you reach 100 posts, you'll be able to see the club forum and even make a pitch to start your own club :)

gmcloughlin

gmcloughlin
  • Stand Up & Fight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,257 posts
  • Joined Oct 29, 2008
  • 248 rep
^Ya this would be a good idea for a club :)
Anyway, I don't really need to lose weight, but def need to work on my fitness, so think I'll pop in and out of here from time to time :D

fiercecircus

fiercecircus
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,584 posts
  • Joined Aug 21, 2011
  • 527 rep
omg! 1200 calories is harsh! don't go too low or else your metabolism slows way the fuck down and it makes it even harder to lose weight!

i'm serious, i had the same issue a while ago. (when i was working at the job from hell and we never got breaks or lunch.) I kept packing on the pounds, despite eating pretty well. Then i realized that due to skipping lunch ALL THE TIME my daily calorie intake was well below 1200- at that point your body thinks its starving to death and your metabolism slows down and your body works to conserve every little bit of calories/fat.

Don't do it! Do like.. 1400. That's better. Plus at your size, your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate- bare minimum needs for calories to function) is higher than the average. Just cutting a few hundred calories at first will make a difference. Then, reweigh, figure out your BMR for your new weight and needs, and go from there.

There are lots of BMR calculators out there. I think WebMd has a decent weight loss guide.

And i know you're vegan- but eat tons of protein. Tons of it! I lost the most weight when i ate more lean protein (meat) and vegetables than any of the silly "100 calorie low fat" prepackaged bullcrap. Try and avoid the easy-vegan foods, the premade stuff... If you stick to homemade whole foods (cooking your own meals from scratch) you will be a lot better off...

*rant off*

*Disclaimer- yes i know i look skinny, but it is hard as hell keeping my weight reasonable. Ever since i started my psych meds i have been fighting the scale. I put on 30 lbs after i started that shit! Granted, it keeps me from killing myself but god damn... That and getting old doesn't help. I call the last 5 years my "fat billie joe" stage (haha.) Even though i work my ass off doing aerials and acrobatics and shit, i can still pack on the pounds if i'm not careful. I lost 15 of those 30 lbs last summer. and thought i was done with dieting at that point and let my diet go and it ALL CAME BACK. AND THEN SOME. Ugh.
Also it doesn't help that in the circus/aerial world that there are tons of anorexic girls. I mean, body image is a HUGE deal to these people- you're wearing spandex all the time, wtf? y'know? And theres a lot of ex dancers and ex gymnasts and a lot of really cut lean muscular bodies and UGH THE PRESSURE. Some of these people are just naturally lean from working out so goddamn much for all of their lives but some of them do bad shit to themselves and starve themselves to do it. Not fun. I went down that path for a short while and then i realized it was really fucking whacked- you can not ask your body to perform at 100% and not give it fuel. So, i said fuck it- i am going to eat good things when i am hungry and take care of myself, watch the sugary sweets and junk but beyond that WHATEVER I LOOK LIKE IS HOW IT IS. I can do the "hard tricks" as well as any of those skinny girls so whatever. Anybody who doesn't like how i look can shove it.

however- it still does weigh on my mind a lot, because i know i put on weight ridiculously easy. So- i will be happy to have a place to vent about it. and provide advice and etc. We can all lean on each other!!!

Dylan.

Dylan.
  • And Don't You Fucking Wear It Out

• 3,844 posts
  • Joined Sep 08, 2007
  • 574 rep
I was thinking about starting a thread like this a few weeks ago, but I was sure someone else had already done it. Regardless, I think this is a great idea. I need to go start working out again. It's been too damn long, and I'm starting to get my belly back, even though I had started getting a four-pack.

Generally, I stay away from anything with gluten. It's almost like a paleolithic diet, but because my family refuses to eat healthy, I am forced to cheat a lot, which kind of makes me not paleolithic. So, I try to intake NO sugar, NO gluten, and LOTS AND LOTS OF MEAT! Seriously, guys. Meat is good for you. Especially lean cuts of meat. Honestly, I believe that there is nothing in this world as delicious and healthy as steak. Most people think of steak as wildly unhealthy. However, if you know about the science of nutrition, then you know that chances are if you go to Outback and order the steak, the steak is the healthiest item on your plate. You see, calories don't matter nearly as much as the type of calories you are consuming.

For instance, a 200 calorie steak, with a 250 calorie baked potato isn't nearly as bad for you as a 150 calorie Dr. Pepper. That is because steak is made almost entirely of protein and fat. Protein and fat both turn into energy which fuels the body. The potato has starch, which is somewhat bad for you, because it is similar to rice in that it is made to be a insulator. However, a Dr. Pepper contains nothing except for massive amounts of sodium, carbs, and sugar. Sodium serves the purpose of draining water out of you body, which helps reduce the metabolism process. Carbs and sugar are metabolized and stored as fat cells. So, it is extremely important to read the ingredients and nutritional content on food. Look further than the calories. You need to look at Sugar, Carbs, Sodium, Protein, and fat. Remember: FAT ISN"T BAD FOR YOU! If you work out, fat is turned directly into energy. Same with protein. The first three should be eaten in extreme moderation if at all.

:)
  • Batgirl likes this

anarchistgirlscout

anarchistgirlscout
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • Joined Apr 25, 2011
  • 149 rep
fiercecircus, what makes you think I am lowering my calories to 1200? I'm ramping it up!
I'm vegan because I can't digest animal proteins, but I eat very, very well. I'm freakishly healthy except for excess weight and cholesterol that's too low sometimes.
But, no, I'm not cutting food - I'm trying to eat more to ramp up my metabolism. I like to bake . . . for other people, but mostly eat whole foods.
Thanks for your concern, though!
I work with a trainer (the above mentioned Swede) who helped me get down over 100 pounds so far (I used to be even more huge due to some serious health problems I crawled out from under finally), but I'm at a sticking point. I think I need to do more weight lifting.

Marlee

Marlee
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,141 posts
  • Joined Jun 10, 2010
  • 546 rep
I thought about making a thread like this, but I found a club with the same sort of thing. Maybe it's not there anymore? I remember posting the same thing...oh well

I've started working out again. When I reached high school I stopped caring about my health. I used to run races with my dad often when I was younger but my asthma got bad so I stopped when I was 13-ish. I gained 30 pounds and I know I'm severely overweight. I run for 30 minutes to an hour every other day, and I also do large sets of ab workouts at home. My goal is to lose 30 pounds by graduation next spring.

I've also started my diet, which is practically starving myself. I'm vegetarian (almost vegan) so my diet mainly consisted of fruits, vegetables, breads, rice, potatoes, other carbs and starches, as well as fats and oils. Now all I eat are veggies, fruits, and occasionally bread and rice.

So far I've lost 7 pounds in a few weeks :)

mitzymoo

mitzymoo
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,667 posts
  • Joined Nov 06, 2008
  • 263 rep
I have to say I like this idea for this thread. I put up a lot of weight over the summer and over the last year/year and a half. It has been a pretty tough year and I guess I just didnt realise I was pilling all the weight on. I am disappointed with myself because I had lost weight and was at a weight which I felt confident now I just feel so self concious so I am determined to get back to where I was.

My best friend lost over five stone just recently and I'm so proud of her for that. She has gone back home, to Romania, for 10 days but we have a plan for when she gets home. We were thinking about joining the gym but its too expensive so we decided that we will meet about five times a week and go for a walk. Its great because at the moment we rarely see each other and we will be great motivation to each other. We were also thinking about joining an exercise class, one that wont cost too much but will also provide a great workout.

As for diet wise I really dont have the healthiest diet. I am so fussy and dislike most food so its hard for me to eat a proper healthy diet. I do however try my best but it is hard. My diet will be the hardest part but I am determined to make this work.

anarchistgirlscout

anarchistgirlscout
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • Joined Apr 25, 2011
  • 149 rep

I've also started my diet, which is practically starving myself.

Starving yourself won't help you lose weight, in the long run. You'll drop and first and then when you have the metabolism of a ninety-year-old (super slow), you'll get stuck. You said you were vegetarian, have you heard of the, 'eat more, weigh less' diet? Basically, you eat a large mass of lower calorie things (like vegetables, not like marshmallows and diet soda). Anyway, the more constant eating of vitamin-rich foods actually jump-starts your metabolism. Also, you might want to try some protein-rich grains, too. Just some thoughts.

fiercecircus

fiercecircus
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,584 posts
  • Joined Aug 21, 2011
  • 527 rep

fiercecircus, what makes you think I am lowering my calories to 1200? I'm ramping it up!
I'm vegan because I can't digest animal proteins, but I eat very, very well. I'm freakishly healthy except for excess weight and cholesterol that's too low sometimes.
But, no, I'm not cutting food - I'm trying to eat more to ramp up my metabolism. I like to bake . . . for other people, but mostly eat whole foods.
Thanks for your concern, though!
I work with a trainer (the above mentioned Swede) who helped me get down over 100 pounds so far (I used to be even more huge due to some serious health problems I crawled out from under finally), but I'm at a sticking point. I think I need to do more weight lifting.

AMEN. sorry i didn't think that was the case! And yeah- starvation will do NOTHING for you. And working with a trainer is awesome! Weight training is the shit! Weight training and building muscle is KEY to weight loss! I mean, cardio is important but weights are so good for you- muscle burns calories faster, and you keep burning after you work out. Plus, you'll be strong and look ripped :). And if your trainer happens to be funny and swedish that's a bonus too.

Having a personal trainer sound so lame, but really my private aerial lessons are nothing different. And some people NEED the guidance, need someone to amp them up and push them. I am def. one of those people- left to my own devices i'd never freaking work out and never do conditioning. But, with some good coaches it becomes FUN. And also, i like having someone around to make sure i do the moves right (and have good form) otherwise you can totally hurt yourself or the exercise won't do as much good...

I am kind of on board with the paleolithic diet, kind of on board with low carbs and all that jazz. I pull my ideas from lots of different diets. Mostly, i shop the outside of the grocery store, and not the interior aisles! Vegetables, meats, dairy stuff, cheese. OH, and the grain/rice aisle. That's about it- the rest of those aisles are pretty useless- the cookies, the crackers. etc. The only "diet book" that seems to make any sense is the "Eat Clean Diet"- there are a bunch of books on it by a lady named Tosca Reno, and Oxygen magazine (it's a total bodybuilder magazine but it all makes sense and eating and working out like they do seems to work for me.) I don't follow it precisely, but it's given me a ton of good ideas and insight on how to feed myself and what to feed myself with.

I do cheat a lot but when i do i make sure it's quality. I don't buy a whole box of cookies, i'll buy a single cookie or two from the bakeshop, that way i know i won't overdo it. It costs more but i know it'll protect my waistline (and my self control.) I avoid fast food like the plague- when i feel like a cheeseburger, i go to a GOOD restaurant to get one. Fast food tastes like crap and is loaded with the same amount of calories and junk so whatever. Cutting fast food was a huge part of my weight loss. And also, realizing that portions at restaurants are totally huge and not the right size for any human to eat... if we go out, i'll wind up eating half and taking half to go.

Anyhow- CONGRATS ON LOSING 100 LBS ALREADY! That is outstanding. I can not imagine what having to lose that much weight is like- trying to lose my 30 has been such a struggle, i really give a ton of credit to those who have hundreds to lose. I can not fathom what that must feel like- i want to cry when i'm starving and am stuck eating baby carrots or some stupid thing instead of a big cheeseburger with the works... and i have barely anything to lose. Just... wow, i feel for you. And GOOD JOB! GOOD LUCK! etc! it is an inspiration to others!

Marlee

Marlee
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,141 posts
  • Joined Jun 10, 2010
  • 546 rep

Starving yourself won't help you lose weight, in the long run. You'll drop and first and then when you have the metabolism of a ninety-year-old (super slow), you'll get stuck. You said you were vegetarian, have you heard of the, 'eat more, weigh less' diet? Basically, you eat a large mass of lower calorie things (like vegetables, not like marshmallows and diet soda). Anyway, the more constant eating of vitamin-rich foods actually jump-starts your metabolism. Also, you might want to try some protein-rich grains, too. Just some thoughts.

Thanks for the tip :) When I said I was starving, I didn't mean I was intentionally starving myself. I love food way too much! I meant that there aren't many options (to the best of my knowledge) for a diet when I already eat a high amount of vegetables and fruits. I'll definitely look into those options.

anarchistgirlscout

anarchistgirlscout
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • Joined Apr 25, 2011
  • 149 rep
I've been vegan for a long time - there are tons of options! Though I sometimes have to substitute things to make the recipes more healthful, http://tofu-n-sproutz.blogspot.com/ is a great blog for ideas. The blogger is a really, really nice lady.

Benni;

Benni;
  • Little One

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Joined Apr 11, 2011
  • 4 rep
I like this thread. anyways this summer I ate a lot, too much, so now I need to lose weight. I started by doing volleyball again and signin up to the gym. for lunch I have a little sandwich and apple. but still I am not losing weight at ALL.

ugh. I feel I need to do more sport. :(

Advertising

anarchistgirlscout

anarchistgirlscout
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • Joined Apr 25, 2011
  • 149 rep
I can't handle volleyball. I am totally inept at sports. They look fun, but I have no hand-eye coordination. Good for you - hope it's fun.
Meanwhile, I'm not losing any weight at all. I'm going to ask my trainer what else I can do today. I hate feeling stuck.

Emilie.

Emilie.
  • Super Nintendo Chalmers

• 14,569 posts
  • Joined Jun 18, 2010
  • 4,664 rep
I need to get fit again. When I was 10 or so I was really into athletics and sport, but then I got to high school and I lost all passion for it. Now that I'm interested in starting up a sport again I'm told that because of my back problems the only sport I can do with no added pain to my back is swimming. I hate swimming =/

I think my Dad's seen my attempts to lose weight because he's been giving me massive amounts of food for dinner. Like, more than double what I usually eat. Lucky I'm only at home 3 nights a week.

bollard_11

bollard_11
  • Disposable Hero

• 9,060 posts
  • Joined Apr 17, 2009
  • 2,947 rep
Currently my weekly fitness schedule is like this
Monday: Gym then soccer game on the astro
Tuesday: 2 hours fitness training in soccer club
Wednesday: Run on the beach then Gym
Thursday: Soccer training, fitness and ball work
Friday: Gym
Saturday: Soccer match and designated pig out on fast food day
Sunday: Rest day, usually fast food day too

Yea I am a bit of a fitness freak, but my diet is what really lets me down. If I could get myself on a steady diet I would feel alot better about myself. Been skipping breakfast alot lately which is really unhealthy =/ I used to be 9 stone about 2 years ago, now I am 11 - 11 and a half. Want to get back down to 10 which really is my desired weight . . .

anarchistgirlscout

anarchistgirlscout
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • Joined Apr 25, 2011
  • 149 rep
What do you do at the gym, bollard?
My personal trainer and I talked and he thinks I need to increase my weight training, too. My only problem is time. I never have enough time to do any of this kind of stuff. Some days I work from 6:30 am to 9:00 pm. Any ideas for fitting it in? I don't really get a lunch break where I can leave.

bollard_11

bollard_11
  • Disposable Hero

• 9,060 posts
  • Joined Apr 17, 2009
  • 2,947 rep

What do you do at the gym, bollard?
My personal trainer and I talked and he thinks I need to increase my weight training, too. My only problem is time. I never have enough time to do any of this kind of stuff. Some days I work from 6:30 am to 9:00 pm. Any ideas for fitting it in? I don't really get a lunch break where I can leave.

I start off doing 10 mins on a cross trainer at a rate of at least 70 steps a minute. Then I do 3 sets of 12 on 70 pounds shoulder press on the machine, pulley row 100 pounds, lat pull down 100 pounds. Over to the bench, at the moment I am benching 80, 3 sets of that. Then small weights I do 14 kg for incline shoulder press, chest press and just general curls, 3 sets of 12 each. Finish off with 28kg single arm curls and sit ups while holding a 5kg weight behind my head. The entire thing takes about an hour 15 to an hour and a half to get through

anarchistgirlscout

anarchistgirlscout
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • Joined Apr 25, 2011
  • 149 rep
Is pulley row the same as a rowing maching?

bollard_11

bollard_11
  • Disposable Hero

• 9,060 posts
  • Joined Apr 17, 2009
  • 2,947 rep

Is pulley row the same as a rowing maching?

Yeas it is, just more centered on your forearms than on your back as you must stay in an upright position

anarchistgirlscout

anarchistgirlscout
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • Joined Apr 25, 2011
  • 149 rep
Hmmm. I think I'd like that. I have a problem staying upright on the rowing machine now - it's like I get into the reps and my posture gets all rediculous.

crazychic

crazychic
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts
  • Joined Oct 19, 2006
  • 32 rep
hmmmm I need to get fit lol am about 10st 9 and want to get to 9st 6 or something like that lol if anyone has any ideas for a nice healthy dinner and lunch please send recipes to me and dont worry i will be exercising and swimming so its not just meals lol

ludwiig

ludwiig
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 431 posts
  • Joined May 09, 2009
  • 30 rep
I'm in really bad shape at the moment, need to get my morning runs started again!

My work is very physical so i am kept somewhat fit even if i dont do anything else besides it, but lately ive been eating a lot more than i should and im getting a bit fat and lazy. I dont have time or energy to go to the gym, i'm usually too tired to do anything after work. But I used to go for runs in the morning, so my plan is to start doing that again. Once i get started it should hopefully motivate me to eat less too :)

fiercecircus

fiercecircus
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,584 posts
  • Joined Aug 21, 2011
  • 527 rep
ugghh i'm so sore!!! had two classes monday and tuesday. The acrobatics kicked my ass! i'm terrible at tumbling, so i signed up for a tumbling class. We did a million forward rolls and dive rolls and backward rolls and that all seems pretty innocuous, but my thighs hurt like hell from standing up at the end of the rolls! Sounds so stupid right?

And my shoulders are a little sore too from climbing aerial fabric.

i'm telling you- if you guys are looking for a fun time (not boring!) and want to get strong, see if there's a circus arts class near you. Way too much fun. also after 12 weeks of this my arms and shoulders are gonna be jacked :D

Ashley!

Ashley!
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 3,707 posts
  • Joined Jun 29, 2011
  • 1,093 rep
I love this idea for a thred, maybe it will help me be a little more motivated.
Anyway right now I weigh 168 pounds, I think my goal is to be in the 155 pound range. I already lost 12 pounds but after a while just lost all motivation. (but thank God I havent put any of the weight back on).
I'm eating arround 1370 calories a day, and I've been walking a lot. But my favorite work out is jumping on a trampoline. It's simple, fun, and burns a decent amount of calories.
I really should start doing some strength training though...

anarchistgirlscout

anarchistgirlscout
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • Joined Apr 25, 2011
  • 149 rep
I don't get it. I stuck to my diet and exercise and GAINED four pouds this week. Holy fuck. Happy birthday to me, huh?

fiercecircus

fiercecircus
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,584 posts
  • Joined Aug 21, 2011
  • 527 rep
truth. it happens. It could just be water weight. Or maybe you have to poo :)

I know for myself i never EVER pay attention to my weight when i have my period. I purposely stopped weighing myself during that time. I get so goddamn bloated it's freaking disgusting. After it's gone (and i start the new pack of birth control) it takes about a day and then i weigh myself and it's back to whatever i was before my period.
Sorry boys if this is gross but i swear to god, it happens. Fucking girl hormones.

Alternatively- one time i had food poisoning and i lost EIGHT POUNDS! In like a day and a half! It was all dehydration though, it all came back once i felt better and could keep things down. Seriously though- it was freaking crazy. Also, fuck food poisoning...

Emilie.

Emilie.
  • Super Nintendo Chalmers

• 14,569 posts
  • Joined Jun 18, 2010
  • 4,664 rep
I don't know if this fits here, but I'm hopefully starting to go to the gym next month with school for sport.
My thighs are really muscular because of all the dancing I did when I was younger, plus the fact they are naturally like that. So I want to reduce the size of my thighs. I've been told that moderately high intensity on a treadmill with really low incline will help, but obviously no weightlifting.
Anyone recommend something?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users