pasalaska

This week’s Song of the Week is Reject, in honour of Billie Joe’s rejection off his Southwest Airlines flight two days ago due to his saggy pants. Thanks to KMH on the forum for the song suggestion.

Reject is track 14 off Green Day’s 5th album, Nimrod, released in 1997, which reached the number 2 spot on the US Billboard 200 charts.

The song was inspired by a couple of letters from 1996, sent after Insomniac’s release; one Billie Joe received from an irate parent complaining about Green Day’s “rubbish” music, and Billie Joe’s response, which contains the lines “That’s the difference between you and me. I do what I want… You do what you’re told”, which later made it in to the lyrics of Reject. Here are those letters, in all their hilarious glory (originally from greenday.net):

fanletter.jpgreply-letter.jpg

The song’s theme stems from the same sentiment Billie gave out in his reply letter, about standing alone – rejected - and not being a part of the ‘social sect’: “I write music for myself and I’ll say anything I damn well please”. My favourite part of the song, lyrically and musically has to be the last ‘so when the smoke clears here I am, your reject all-American’, I love the visual, and the metaphor of the smoke from all the flaming the band received, not only from the parent who wrote the letter, but from every critic the band has ever had; they’ve been to ‘hell and back and hell again’, and yet here they still are. That line, layered with the dramatic, heart-beat-like drums and the snotty, nasal vocals just add to the defiant nature of the song, and the band in general.

I couldn’t find any live videos of this song, but I did find this live recording from the band’s performance at the Electric Factory in Philadelphia on November 14, 1997, which was released as a B-side of some Redundant singles.

Lyrics:

Who the hell are you to tell me,

What I am and what's my master plan?

What makes you think that it includes you?

Self-righteous wealth?

Stop flattering yourself.

So when the smoke clears here I am,

Your reject all-American,

Sucking up to your social sect,

Making you a nervous wreck,

To hell and back and hell again I've gone,

You're not my type.

Not my type.

What's the difference between you and me?

I do what I want, and you do what you're told,

So listen up shut the hell up.

It's no big deal.

And I'll see you in hell.

Sucking up to your social sect,

Making you a nervous wreck,

To hell and back and hell again I've gone,

You're not my type,

Not my type,

Not my type,

You’re not my type.

Falling from grace, right on my face,

To hell and back and hell again I've gone.

*********************************************************************************************************

You can nominate songs for discussion as Song of the Week in the SotW Nominations and Archive thread, which contains links to each previous Song of the Week in its first post.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was great to have a look at these letters again. Haven't read them in a while.

And Reject is one of my favourite songs from that album exactly because of that line. :)

I love the 'falling from grace right, right on my face' line. I think it's the vocals, and the defiance in that he doesn't care if he fails as long as he does things his way. It's like a big 'screw you' to all the critics of the band.

I love this song by them! It shows how they don't care about what people think of them. And it is a very catchy tune.

And I love those letters too!

Reject is all around a amazing! Good choice for song of the week!

I love this song. I don't think there is a Green Day song that is more straight forward than this one. 'Reject' tells it like it is, and by that I mean how much Billie couldn't give a fuck about what people think of him.

Back to the getting-kicked-off-the-flight incident, I was reading some comments on how Billie should've just pulled up his pants and sat down, and some Green Day fans were like, 'Well, then Billie Joe wouldn't be Billie Joe.' and I agree 100%. This song (and letter) show that Billie does what he wants, and doesn't care what people think/will think of him.

Plus, he so owned that chick. :lol:

This is a favourite of mine from Nimrod.

I love seeing those letters again, and the origin of the song. :)

I have a sudden urge to listen to Nimrod now.

This and Prosthetic Head were two of my favourites from the album. It was mentioned before but I love the line "Falling from grace right on my face". The mental image I get is just great.

These letters and the subsequent song are a brilliant look into Billie's songwriting process. He has a stubborn determination--apparent in the plane incident--that allows him to look at the world from a different angle than many people. Most would have gotten the letter and laughed it off, letting the record company worry about it. But Billie is very "thin-skinned", as Aaron describes him in #54. Incidents like the angry parent sit with him so deeply that he expands upon the feeling and makes a powerful song out of it. I wish I had that talent!

Though "Reject" came several years after signing to Reprise, it exemplifies a hell of a lot of punk spirit. I like the line, "To hell and back and hell again I've gone." It's showing that gleeful disregard to whatever the enemy of the hour is, be it the government, an ex-lover, or a disgruntled soccer mom.

That's weird, a couple nights ago I was ranting to my mom about how I don't like clean editions of CDs and how most musicians don't write songs to cater to kids & pre-teens and I mentioned this story between the parent and Billie. The reason I was upset/ranting was that I got a CD by the band A Perfect Circle from my library a couple weeks ago but there was nothing on the packaging to say it was a clean edition so I didn't know until I listened to it. Anyways, what a coincidence that this is Song Of The Week. I love this song it is a stand against censorship and good a ol' punk song. I played it for a family friend a while back and he said it made him think of Bikini Kill because they have an album or a song called Reject All American (sorry not familiar with their material, just relying on his word)

I love hearing this song, it's probably my favorite song on Nimrod other then King for a Day. It's quite powerful and angry the way Billie Joe sings it, you know it is clearly aimed at someone. It seems like quite a punk song, also. It would probably fit on Insomniac as well as Nimrod. I remember when I got Nimrod I read through all the lyrics and showed my dad this song. I saw how many times he said "hell" in the song and I was like "Is this song okay? They swear a lot in it.''

It would probably fit on Insomniac as well as Nimrod.

I was thinking this too as I was writing up the opening post - you can easily read the song as an attack on the Gilman st crowd that persecuted the band once they got signed, just like a lot of Insomniac songs do.

The 'I do what I want, and you do what you're told' could very well be a stab at the (what I like to call) dumb-punk crowd, the ones that just echo the 'sellout' label without any real thought. For a scene (or "social sect") that's all about individuality and non-conformism, you really have to toe the line to be accepted with a lot of its members, and I'm speaking from personal experience here.

Not my favorite of the record (again), but like with 86, is another great answer.

"Stop flattering yourself", I like that line. I think it's an honest and humble song; and very brave from Billie to write it. That's what's makes it special

Probably my favourite off of Nimrod, with Hitchin' a ride and All The Time, good choice. Plus, I love the story behind this song ;) And thanks a lot for posting the complaint letter and Billie's reply, that's SO hilarious :rofl:

Love this song, I also like the part of the letter when he says "I don't write music for parents, grandparents or eight year old, I just write music for myself"

Thanks Aska, I'm honoured! It's one of the highlights from Nimrod for me. Even though this is a fairly straightforward song, there is a great story with it, so it's good that we have a place to officially document the letters. I love how she name checks WICA as "good music" when the lyrics are so sleazy.

It's really interesting the link people mentioned with the punk spirit and the rejection by the Gilman set.

The song is relatable in that everyone feels like a reject at some point or another, and at times that's tinged with anger. I just wish I was as brave as Billie Joe to push back so fiercely, draw a line in the sand and be like "this is how it is".

I love the 'falling from grace right, right on my face' line. I think it's the vocals, and the defiance in that he doesn't care if he fails as long as he does things his way. It's like a big 'screw you' to all the critics of the band.

That's my favorite part too. I love the beat and especially the tone of this song.

I was thinking this too as I was writing up the opening post - you can easily read the song as an attack on the Gilman st crowd that persecuted the band once they got signed, just like a lot of Insomniac songs do.

The 'I do what I want, and you do what you're told' could very well be a stab at the (what I like to call) dumb-punk crowd, the ones that just echo the 'sellout' label without any real thought. For a scene (or "social sect") that's all about individuality and non-conformism, you really have to toe the line to be accepted with a lot of its members, and I'm speaking from personal experience here.

So glad they didn't toe the line. The fact that they defied even their strongest allies is what makes them so awesome. I saw the same thing happen with U2 and REM. They were cool when they were underground and alternative, but the moment they hit the mainstream they were sell-outs. Your description of "Reject" is exactly what I thought of for them and Green Day the very first time I heard it.

Love this song. Those letters are so cool too.

*one little correction on the intro though it's track 14 not 16 :)

Great song choice! I really don't listen to it that much but it's still great!

Who the hell are you to tell me,

What I am and what's my master plan?

What makes you think that it includes you?

Self-righteous wealth?

Stop flattering yourself.

My favorite part of the song <3 I always feel like people are trying to butt in my life when I don't care for them to, ya know?

What's the difference between you and me?

I do what I want, and you do what you're told,

So listen up shut the hell up.

It's no big deal.

And I'll see you in hell.

Nothing can really describe this verse, the meaning behind the words is brilliant!

Amazing introduction, Aska! :)

I don't know why, but I've always loved the way Billie Joe answered in his letter. It seems like his words are so elected, that you can't say anything against.

And for the song.. my favorite part? I don't have a favorite part. This song's awesome.. all through. I love every line. The lyrics are just fascinating!

Finally I have the chance to see those letters, it was a very interesting reading!! :D

So Reject...not my favourite off the album, I admit, but if I had to choose a fav Green Day album, I'd choose Nimrod, so I'm very happy for this week's choise :thumbsup:

I've always loved Nimrod because it has like a mix of songs, the fun ones, the love/nostalgic ones, the angry/insulting ones. Reject is one of the last ones :lol:

It has very direct lyrics, that are reflected on the fast, powerful music and rough voice...it's a perfect exemple of Billie's outspoken writing.

This whole thing of the letter and his response reminds me of a quote from Billie Joe ( I read it in Italian, and I didn't find it in English)...it was about how he always exaggerates and exacerbates all the things when he write songs, like when, for exemple, you think you hate someone and you keep thinking of how to hurt him and how much you hate him...

It seems a very good method, if it makes him write such good songs! :shifty:

And I love the lyrics "to hell and back and hell again I've gone", like someone wrote before, it's like Green Day's story!

Archived