"No one really knows about your soul

And I barely even know your name

Burning rhythms and posting lies

For a bunch of fools drown in shame"

smiles_6.gif

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There were so many people wondering/bitching about the fact that he would write a song so personal about someone he didn't know (as far as we can tell). And Billie has said in the past that every song he writes is autobiographical in some way (yes, we have disputed this elsewhere)... but my initial impression of Amy, and his reason for writing it, was exactly as Bastard of 1967 and others have said... her death struck a chord with him because she was a musician (a damn good one, even though I'm not really a fan), a young person who did too many drugs. I'm sure he identified with her, and also, I'm sure he is a music historian as much as any music fan and the long history of 27-year-old talents dying young... it's just something he would respond to.

What I would want to ask, because I'm OCD like that and pretty detail-oriented, is whether he was actually familiar enough beforehand with her story and path to already know about the blood-stained shoes and the horseshoe tattoo, or if he did a little research to personalize the song a bit? I understand that the blood stains were well publicized, although I personally had no idea, and I DO keep up relatively well with pop culture (but admittedly ignored a lot of stuff about Amy Winehouse cuz ya know... it felt like an overload and a trainwreck situation with the media before she died), and obviously a shoulder tattoo is easy to spot... still... it does make me wonder if Billie, when he's writing a song, starts thinking about a concept and then goes and googles it to get some more info to throw into his songs. I've wondered that for a while and with other songs, if there is 'research' involved in his song writing or if it all just comes naturally. Now I'm digressing totally, but I want to know if he uses a thesaurus a lot :P

I'm glad that we have that video, we can heard the song in a soo much better quality! :happy:

So, the first time I listened to the song, I noticed the similarity with Walking Alone (Is your heart singing out of tune? - Come togheter like a foot in a shoe)...the second time, I realized the chorus sounds like Shoplifter (Amy don't you go, I want you around - It's not considered stealing unless you're getting caught)...the hird time, oh well, I fell in love with Amy :wub:

While Billie's guitar gently weeps ( it suits the song, right? ;) ) he sings so sweetly, that it really seems that those poetic words flow straight from his heart, seing that he wrote the lyrics in a few days too...I don't know if they are honest lyrics, if he really wanted to be friend of Amy Whinehouse, but for sure her death touched him a lot, maybe not as person, but as an artist...and anyway, it seems that they had a lot in common, a youth spent on drugs and alcohol, but she couldn't overcome that like Billie did...

When Billie sings "singing woah please don't go", is so touching, his voice is just perfect for that!

Perfect thread to reach 500 posts

:lol:

Just saw the good quailty video, how wonderful :wub:. I really love this song. It's a sad and beautiful tribute, and the simplicity of it makes it all the more touching. Such a treat that we've been able to hear it.

Probably I'm the only one, but I don't think this song was necessary.

You're entitled not to like a song, whether that's because you don't like the music itself or you don't like the background behind the song. But I don't know what it means for a song to not be "necessary." No art is "necessary," that's the beauty of art.

You're entitled not to like a song, whether that's because you don't like the music itself or you don't like the background behind the song. But I don't know what it means for a song to not be "necessary." No art is "necessary," that's the beauty of art.

I personally think they shouldn't have penned a song about her, that's what I believe. And as a musician, I find it repetitive in its instrumental parts, since it is similar to many other old songs of theirs.

From what I've heard, the other songs are way better, in my opinion.

To be honest, I really love this song, yet it's so sad when I listen to it, y'know, the meaning behind it, etc etc..

I think it's a sweet thing they've done.... dedicated a song to her.

Many people on here might "dislike" her, I really don't know, but I actually was a fan of the music, so, I think it's nice what the boys have done. It's really sweet :wub:

Alright, here goes...

This song has already sent me on a ridiculously crazy roller coaster of emotions.

First, I find out there's a new Green Day song called 'Amy' (my name! No one cares, I know), and it's apparently really beautiful. Cue me dancing around and telling anyone and everyone who is silly enough to stay still too long.

Then I hear to song. In tears because I think the song's so beautiful (even if I can't make out much of the lyrics).

Then we finally get the lyrics and... I'm a goddamn wreck. Everything that everyone has been speculating about the lyrics seem to be pretty much spot on. Here comes that roller coaster...

My initial reaction was (I'm a ashamed to say) really?! It's about Amy Winehouse? Then I thought how lovely that actually was. And then, 'oh shit... Someone is gonna take this the wrong way'. (For instance, the comment made on the Kerrang website. :rolleyes: ) Was, and am, still scared of more of a backlash. If one person can take it the wrong way, a lot of people can. But then, it's not like Green Day and their fans aren't used to controversy due to misinterpretation. :rolleyes:

There's been a little controversy in my family over this too. I told my mum about it, and she said, "It's just proves what a nice person Billie is, doesn't it?" My sister on the other hand couldn't believe that it'd been written for her. (I'll refrain from writing her comments here), then I explained to her the way I'd interpereted the song. In fact, it was pretty much what's already been discussed. The scary glimpse of 'what could've been', and, also, how clearly she was such a talent (I'm not going to lie here, I was never a fan, but I recognise her talent, absolutely) and now, like too many others, she's gone.

Personally, I think the song is beautiful, heart went into it, and it just feels so real, something I always apprieciate about Billie's lyrics. I think there are a lot of bands who could've written this type of song, not necersarily about Amy Winehouse, but another lost celebrity and it could feel like they wrote it because they could. Billie's lyrics never feel like that. This song specififcally, and so many others besides, they are not just written for the hell of it.

Not sure if I'd put it in with my favourites just yet. But the fact that it was part of that performance, and that it has my name, not that I'm deluding myself, or wishing to take the importance away from the actual subject, just... I dunno. Feel kinda honored that the name (through a very specific, worthy, if sad path) has joined the ranks of the Gloria's and the Maria's of the Green Day world. (Ok, I feel a little silly now. :ermm: )

Anyway, I have a feeling this song is going to be, even if just a little, important to me.

Sorry. I'll be quiet now... :whistle

It's a really sad song, but I think it's a good way to say "good bye, Amy, we'll miss you"

I personally think they shouldn't have penned a song about her, that's what I believe. And as a musician, I find it repetitive in its instrumental parts, since it is similar to many other old songs of theirs.

From what I've heard, the other songs are way better, in my opinion.

So if Billie felt affected by her death and her story he shouldn't express those feelings in a song? All kinds of things have inspired him to write songs before. If he stopped himself from writing about something he truly feels inspired to write about just because some people think he shouldn't, he wouldn't be being true to himself as a songwriter. I'd hate for him to limit himself like that.

I love the lyrics, they're very poignant and you can truly see Billie's raw emotional reaction to her death through them. The honesty makes it truly fantastic.

I'd love to have you guys send us your thoughts about "Amy" as audio for us to use on the next podcast.

Record an mp3, email it to staticnoise@greendayauthority.com.

Keep it under 45 seconds. DOOO IITTTTTT!!

it's an amazing song !! i think the song that's gonna give my mum headache cause i'm singing it and playing it everywhere and and all the time !! it has some great lyrics and it sounds like walking alone at the beginning and it's really amazing how he wrotes a song that beautiful for amy winehouse !! i think i'm gonna send you my opinion on an mp3 but not now cause it's mid night and i think they're gonna think i'm getting crazy talking to my self in this hour of night !! hh lool !! but i will tomorrow i think !!

Since the moment i listened the guitar intro of amy it reminds me a lot the winehouse hit "valery" then i read the lyric carefuly and i had not doubt that it was a song about her. i guess some people will critisice the fact that billie wrote a song about her , especially after all the scandal generated by his death. But i think its important not to forget the creative proces of an artist. Billie joe is a poet he wrotes much more than simple music and the inspiration can come from anything.

Amy is a beutiful sad song, who cares if its not punk rock?

I don't really think it was necessary either, but I don't care that he wrote it. I'm more concerned about it taking up space on a new album, when there are plenty of other better tracks to go in its place.

I don't really think it was necessary either, but I don't care that he wrote it. I'm more concerned about it taking up space on a new album, when there are plenty of other better tracks to go in its place.

As an artist who hopes people will one day listen to my music I have no idea how to respond to this. The more emotional side to me raves, like a stay dog trying to jump down your throat. I find no words, no way of conveying how strange and (I'm sorry) offensive these thoughts seems to me. "necessary"? I can't begin to think of music like that. Is "burnout" necessary? "Last Ride in"? "American Idiot"? Why?

The composer felt the need to compose it, and then to share it. Isn't that reason enough?

That said you are of-course entitled to your opinion but I am baffled. I quite like the song. I'd bet it won't be voice-guitar when they are done with it(has any green day song had that configuration?) and expect it will be tweaked before we see it again. Although I like it fine in its current form. It has that brisk, haphazard feel that "Murder City" brought to 21st. Though it lacks its polish.

Do you have any idea how many songs Billie must have in his arsenal that we've never heard? Think of how long that Green Day kept Cigs & Valentines and When It's Time under wraps. They let out what they want, when they want, according to their own schedule or for no bloody good reason at all, and that's one thing I love about them: they live as musicians according to their own rhythm, not anybody else's. There's no reason or assurance that *anything* that was played at Tiki Bar (let alone Amy) will make it onto the next studio album. They'll let us know what will be on the next album when they're good and ready to...so in the meantime we all need to keep it in our shorts. :)

Guest Honey Emerald

"necessary ?"

Who are you to be dictating whether or not someone is allowed to pay their respects? Are you some kind of tyrant? Are you trying to mainstream Green Day into the status quo to sooth your own disgusting idealism? Let Green Day be who they are and accept them for their true selves.. not for this stupid image you wish to place on them.

As to the song, part of it is catchy and reminds me of old-fashioned rock and roll... is well worded, and it gets the point across... "Amy don't you go

I want you around." Other parts of it have to be explained before they can be understood. At first it was, what does bloodstained shoes have to do with the song? Now that it has been explained that it is about a fight Amy Winehouse had with her ex- it makes sense now.

I made this a few days after audio/video of the song, and the full official lyrics, were posted online.

I couldn't get it out of my head, and the only way to do so was to sing it.

Though I'm not sure that it worked, cause it's still stuck. LOL.

I wanted to feature pictures of Amy (from her childhood to right before her death) that showed her healthy and/or happy.

The actual mp3 has no glitches, but for some reason YouTube's uploader silenced my singing of "did you" in the lyric "did you tattoo a lucky charm"

ARG!!! LOL.

I LOVE this song. I think it's catchy, and it has a way of getting into your head and staying there.

It's a really nice tribute to her.

It's simple, beautiful, really touching, and sad.

Some of the lyrics almost make you want to cry, they're so depressing.

Especially the chorus, when he's telling her not to leave, not to die, to stay alive, and if she wants to be his friend.

And at the end, when he sings "can you write me a lullaby so we can sing you to sleep". Every time I hear that line, I picture everyone singing for her at her funeral.

:(

This post is actually the first time I heard it (since I was waiting for a decent quality vid), and I think it'll grow on me. I don't dislike it, just not in love (yet).

Maybe I'm just pissed because, no exaggeration, every time I read about the song, this gets stuck in my head:

This would be a long shot by a mile, but I figured I'd mention it... I just saw that the VMAs are having a Amy Winehouse tribute during the show this Sunday. It said that Tony Bennett would be performing... boy, it'd be pretty sick if Green Day would go and do Amy live. I'd give it a .01% chance of happening, but wouldn't that be awesome? I guess the faintest possibility is the fact that the song has gotten decent publicity from different websites lately and Green Day put the lyrics out, so it's not like it's a 'secret' song.

This post is actually the first time I heard it (since I was waiting for a decent quality vid), and I think it'll grow on me. I don't dislike it, just not in love (yet).

Maybe I'm just pissed because, no exaggeration, every time I read about the song, this gets stuck in my head:

Doesn't help that its clearly a very early version with very little practice.

This song is so sweet. It's really kind and thoughtful of Billie and the band to write a song dedicated to her :)

Archived