pasalaska

This week's Song Of The Week is 86, to coincide with it being 8/6 (if you live in a place that does their dates all kooky and back-to-front like that). This thread is all about discussing your thoughts and feelings on 86.

86 is track 7 (what, 8, 6, and 7? What's with all this numerical tomfoolery?) on Green Day's 4th album Insomniac, released in 1995, a year and a bit after their 1994 major-label debut, Dookie.

I've seen a bit of confusion and discussion over the years about the meaning of the song's title ("86? I thought he was saying 'dirty sex'"), so here's the concrete evidence of where the song's title comes from; this is a scan from the book '924 Gilman: The Story So Far' by Brian Edge, showing the club's list of rules from 1991:

scan0001-1-1-2.jpg

11b. 86'd list. The following people don't get into shows no matter how much they pay.

The 86'd list, as shown here, was the list of people and bands with lifetime bans from entering and/or playing at 924 Gilman street, which is often referred to as Green Day's starting point or home. When Billie sings 'there's no return from 86', he's saying 'there's no return to 924 Gilman street'. It's said that Billie wrote the song in response to a piece of graffiti he found written in the girls bathroom at the venue, after Green Day got signed to Reprise, which said 'Billie Joe must die'.

The first verse reflects the hostility that the 924 Gilman street punk scene showed Billie and the rest of the band; "did you lose something the last time you were here? You'll never find it now, it's buried deep with your identity" seems to be referring to Green Day losing their 'punk credibility' by signing to a major label – a taboo act in the punk scene that caused the band to be labelled 'sellouts'.

Personally, I grew to love this song a lot more after I'd learned all about Green Day's expulsion from the 924 Gilman street punk scene - it suddenly became a lot more emotive as I understood exactly what was meant in the lyrics. There's a real bitterness and anger expressed throughout a lot of Insomniac, which is well known to have be written as direct response to the backlash the band received from signing to a major label, and this song is the quintessence of all those emotions.

I was lucky enough to get to see this song played live last year in Quebec City; the most recent time they've played the song since its release in 1995. This video isn't great quality, but it's the only one from that show, and this is my thread so I'll post whatever video I want.

Lyrics:

What brings you around?

Did you lose something the last time you were here?

You'll never find it now

It's buried deep with your identity

So stand aside and let the next one pass

Don't let the door kick you in the ass

There's no return from 86

Don't even try

Exit out the back

And never show your head around again

Purchase your ticket and

Quickly take the last train

Out of town

So stand aside and let the next one pass

Don't let the door kick you in the ass

There's no return from 86

Don't even try

*********************************************************************************************************

You can nominate songs for discussion as Song of the Week in the SotW Nominations and Archive thread, which contains links to each previous Song of the Week in its first post.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why does it say this thread was posted on the 4th? :sherlock:

Well anyway thanks for posting that scan! I knew to 86 someone means to kick them out but it's interesting to see that Gilman actually used that specific phrase in their list of rules. Means the song's even more direct than I thought.

There’s a real bitterness and anger expressed throughout a lot of Insomniac, which is well known to have be written as direct response to the backlash the band received from signing to a major label, and this song is the quintessence of all those emotions.

I totally agree, the lyrics sum up a lot of what Insomniac was about. It's a pretty sad song but I like that he stood up and said exactly what he was feeling about the situation. I always think it has a brooding feeling to it with the chugging music and bitter lyrics. I think it's actually my least favourite song on the album just because the music/melody has never really grabbed me, but it's a good and impressively honest song none the less.

Also it is indeed 6/8/2011 today :D. Shortest (day)/middle (month)/longest (year) is the sensible way. Middle/shortest/longest? I don't think so.

If my sense of dates wasn't already fucked up by GDC and its people with their silly month/date/year notation messing with my head every time something with a date is posted, this thread sure did :lol:

It's 6/8 all the way, not 8/6.

As for the song: I really like the melody and how it sounds, it appealed to me from the first time I heard it. It also introduced me to the phrase "to 86". I don't really know what to say on the contents of the song... it's pretty straight-forward, and if it wasn't already kind of obvious that it was about Gilman and the punk scene, then that scan and the fact that that exact phrase was used definitely confirms it. The lyrics are pretty blunt and not leaving anything up to doubt, and while the lyrics aren't exactly about something likeable, I do like that feature of it.

Billie does a nice job of pronouncing the word "ticket".

Oh and I love this performance

Nice schoolboy outfit Billie :whistle

Billie does a nice job of pronouncing the word "ticket".

LOL! Teckett

6/8 for the win.

I never knew that was where this song came from! I gleaned that it was due to not being able to go back to the year '86 (even though surely they'd have been too young!) but that's so cool! Can I see Billie's name on that list??

There is a name 'Billie' on there (I think) but whether it's him or not...?

Why does it say this thread was posted on the 4th? :sherlock:

Technical error. Pretend you didn't see that :ninja:

Can I see Billie's name on that list??

There is a name 'Billie' on there (I think) but whether it's him or not...?

Indeed it says Billie, but that list is from 1991 - says so on the top of the page in hand-writing

Indeed it says Billie, but T that list is from 1991 - says so on the top of the page in hand-writing

didn't see that!

Ah, so he hadn't been kicked out the 'inner-circle' by that point... #sarcasm

(Although I probably don't enough about the inner workings of Gilman Street to be sarcastic about it!)

When Billie sings ‘there’s no return from 86’, he’s saying ‘there’s no return to 924 Gilman street’.

Yet he's returned to Gilman many times after 2000. So he did return from 86.

Oh and I love this performance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2MSmX6d4dc

This is my favorite performance of 86 too.

More great ones but with fuck ups.

Aska, your OP is fantastic; I agree on all fronts. :)

Also, I'd like to note how annoyed I am when Billie says "Let's go crazy". I would 86 him from Gilman St. myself just for doing that all the fucking time now.

Coming from a restaurant background, to 86 something means it's no longer available on the menu. So it struck me as so odd when I first heard the song. Having to dig around for details then made more sense. Not a restaurant/food reference at all. :P

Yet he's returned to Gilman many times after 2000. So he did return from 86.

I know that. He's not banned, Green Day is.

Billie, Mike and Tre are free to go into Gilman and play with different bands (like PHGP, The Frustrators), but they're not allowed to play as Green Day, thanks to Gilman's 'no major label' policy.

Aska, your OP is fantastic; I agree on all fronts. :)

I know that. He's not banned, Green Day is.

Billie, Mike and Tre are free to go into Gilman and play with different bands (like PHGP, The Frustrators), but they're not allowed to play as Green Day, thanks to Gilman's 'no major label' policy.

Green Day can http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/green-day/2001/924-gilman-street-berkeley-ca-4bd47712.html

i kind of feel that Gilman kind of reopened their arms to Green Day to some extent. That concert in 2001 shows that. The Gilman 'x' list in the OP (which i hadn't seen before) seems to make Billie the scapegoat at the time.

Yes, I'm aware of this. They weren't scheduled to play - apparently they just hijacked the stage and played those songs impromptu.

I can't remember where I read it (possibly Nobody Likes You), but at the time no complained, but there was a lot of talk about it afterwards.

Wasn't there a show early on in the 21CB era where they went to play 86 and Billie ended up stopping it because it didn't sound good? I seem to recall reading this somewhere. It's kind of cool that they actually did play it again though, 86 is one of my favorites from Insomniac. I think it has to do with Mike's bassline, since it, like a whole lot of the other songs on Insomniac, really accents everything else nicely.

If anyone ever wants to say Mike is slag, give 'em this song and 86 'em from your general area.

Also, I wonder why this wasn't a single...

This is one song that I didn't really like at first for some reason. But i kept listening to it, and it really grew on me. Insomniac has some really fantastic songs on it and 86 is one of them :)

Technical error. Pretend you didn't see that :ninja:

Hahaha, okay :ninja:

Yes, I'm aware of this. They weren't scheduled to play - apparently they just hijacked the stage and played those songs impromptu.

I can't remember where I read it (possibly Nobody Likes You), but at the time no complained, but there was a lot of talk about it afterwards.

Yeah Jason White's band The Influents were playing and Green Day were in the audience, so The Influents decided to stop their set early and let Green Day jump up and play. Sneaky!

Ooh, fantastic song, probably my favorite from Insomniac. I think it was a good song for him to write as a person, it seemed like his way of dealing with the reaction Gilman had toward him.

One of my favorite two songs on Insomniac, its catchy and the lyrics are amazing as always, really shows how they felt about their decision to 'sell out' and getting kicked out of Gillman. Also thank you for that scan, i always knew it was about having to leave 924 and them selling out but i never got why it was called "86" :)

To me it's like, the perfect response for that situation. Sure Billie wrote it with hate, but also with a lot of pain, because of the fact that they were kicked out from a very special place for them, it must have been really terrible go through all that... =/

Fuck y'all, it's 8/6, not 6/8. :lol:Well it's technically the 7th where I am, but who cares.

Anyway, this is one of my favorites off of Insomniac. :wub:

86!!! :woot: Great song choice for this week! Definitely one of my favorites from Insomniac! I really want to hear this song live. My fingers are crossed for next time! haha

Archived