The Top Five Green Day Songs that Had an Impact on My Life

Boston

I love you.

This. This summarises why JOS is one of the all-time greatest songs ever written. It grows with you, it's fluid and multi-faceted and more layered than the biggest muthafuckin' onion in the world.

TRUF. I love it when people understand me.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had to think really hard about this, because there are so many Green Day songs that touch my heart in different ways.

So to help me slim my list down to a top 5, I reminisce to certain vivid memories I have involving Green Day

American Idiot– the song that started it all. I remember I would always watch Vh1 or Mtv in the morning before I left for school because they would always play music videos early in the morning. I remember seeing the AI music video and thinking "WTF" I was mesmerized and freaked out by the different speeds that each member was moving at and I thought how strange and rebellious this video was. I later learned that it was by Green Day. I purchased the cd but for a few weeks I never opened the cd. I later found the cd in my room and remembered I still hadn't opened it. I put in my walkman cd player and everything began.

Only of You- a simple, beautiful love song that I listened to constantly as I pined over a hopeless crush.

2000 Light Years Away- For my first Green Day concert on September 11, 2005, I was already a frequent visitor of GDC and I was well aware of the setlist that Green Day had throughout their tour. And I wished and wished for a Kerplunk song to be played at my concert. Surprisingly, this song was indeed played at my concert and the amount of joy that burst through my heart when I heard those first chords..unforgettable

Armatage Shanks- My anthem when I was 16. I was angsty and angry like any other 16 year old teen right? I clung to that song, and fed on its raw, self-loathing energy. I channeled my feelings through most of the Insomniac album during that time.

American Eulogy- My favorite song on 21CB. Absolute favorite. This song makes my heart race and my adrenaline accelerate. It fires me up. My second Green Day concert August 7th 2009 I was hoping for this song to be played. And once again, the song I wished to be played at my concert did. And I flipped out. I was jumping and screaming my heart out and it wonderful. I let myself completely go and just let the power of that song keep me going.

This definetly confirms that we are the living proof of Green Day's kickassery :cool:

Now, my turn!

1. Boulevard of Broken Dreams

Like many of you, this song started it all. I just remember being like 11 and freaking out listening this song for the first time and being obsessed over it. It was funny to see my parents freaking out because it was punk rock and not the christian shit they wanted me to hear... hehe

2. Paper Lanterns

This summarizes it all: "So when are all my troubles going to end?"

I felt like someone once was in the same position I used to be at some point on my life and it sure made me feel better... Plus, I got on stage during this song, so....

3. Waiting

Growing up as an overprotected child is terribly frustrating, and it gets worse when you look at everybody having this amazing experiences.. you just feel left out. It just happened that made me hope and calmed me down in the moments I just wished I was old enough to get out from the bubble I was trapped in. Now that moment has come and it just gives me chills listening to this song... It's an amazing feeling, I must confess hehe

4. Christie Road

I'm not the most mentally stable person ever and it just happens that I often loose myself. This song helps me to find those places where I can remember who I truly am.

5. She

Same reason as the last one. I can relate to this song... Plus anytime I feel the world has something against me, it just calms me down.. :3

After seeing all these other posts, I want to add more songs. Five's just not enough. :D

Without a shadow of a doub the song that had the biggest impact on me was St Jimmy. Without it i can honestly say i wouldn't be here now. But also Give Me Novacaine, Having A Blast and Platypus have been big influences too. Oh and cant forget Letterbomn and Paper Lanterns.

Good Choice! I like every single one you said, I remeber once I gave my "top ten list" to my classmate, so he could listen to the GD songs I like, but I did that list twice and every single time 1 or 2 songs change, (depending on my mood) so I don't really know the order of my 5 favorites songs but, at least, today is this way:

- Only of you: This was one of the first GD songs I ever heard, and because of this song I started being a GD fan, it was a song a felt indentify with, I remeber when I was translating it and I though "How can this guy understand how I'm feeling right now?" you know, I was going throught a "nobody understand me" era (I was, and I actually still being, a teenager), so it was quite shocking for me to find out that someone from the USA understood me.

- Minority: this was one of the songs that helped me to show everybody who I was, the lyrics seem to be a message for me "there's nothing wrong on being different"

- Jesus of Suburbia: " I'm the son of rage and love, the Jesus of Suburbia" who can restist to this song? my favorite Green Day sentence is from this song " The motto was just a lie it said "home is where your heart is" but what a shame, 'cause everyone's heart doesn't beat the same..." this song really catch me from the beginning 'til the last word " you're leaving, you're leaving, oh, you're living home..."

- She: When I first heard it I remember I couldn't stop pressing the REPLAY buttom, I couldn't stop singing "she...she screams in silence...a sullen riot penetrating through her mind" this was the time when I decided to show my friends that I was a punk, I show them exactly how I was...and the bast majority of them didn't understand it and left me, so I felt really miserable, until I realise that if they really were my friends they wouldn't have left me.

- Warning: "or shut up and be a victim of authority" I don't know if I prefer the video or just the lyrics, both are amazing

Good Choice! I like every single one you said, I remeber once I gave my "top ten list" to my classmate, so he could listen to the GD songs I like, but I did that list twice and every single time 1 or 2 songs change, (depending on my mood) so I don't really know the order of my 5 favorites songs but, at least, today is this way:

- Only of you: This was one of the first GD songs I ever heard, and because of this song I started being a GD fan, it was a song a felt indentify with, I remeber when I was translating it and I though "How can this guy understand how I'm feeling right now?" you know, I was going throught a "nobody understand me" era (I was, and I actually still being, a teenager), so it was quite shocking for me to find out that someone from the USA understood me.

- Minority: this was one of the songs that helped me to show everybody who I was, the lyrics seem to be a message for me "there's nothing wrong on being different"

- Jesus of Suburbia: " I'm the son of rage and love, the Jesus of Suburbia" who can restist to this song? my favorite Green Day sentence is from this song " The motto was just a lie it said "home is where your heart is" but what a shame, 'cause everyone's heart doesn't beat the same..." this song really catch me from the beginning 'til the last word " you're leaving, you're leaving, oh, you're living home..."

- She: When I first heard it I remember I couldn't stop pressing the REPLAY buttom, I couldn't stop singing "she...she screams in silence...a sullen riot penetrating through her mind" this was the time when I decided to show my friends that I was a punk, I show them exactly how I was...and the bast majority of them didn't understand it and left me, so I felt really miserable, until I realise that if they really were my friends they wouldn't have left me.

- Warning: "or shut up and be a victim of authority" I don't know if I prefer the video or just the lyrics, both are amazing

Great choices!

1. Jesus of Suburbia - this song is a huge compilation of my feelings, emotions, memories, everything. I have listened to this song while in a great mood, i have also screamed the lyrics to this song, while blaring it in my car and crying my eyes out. I think this song has at least one element to relate to, no matter who you are. This song makes me feel good to be myself, it makes me feel less alone cuz i know other people feel the way i do.

2. American Idiot - this is basically the "first" green day song i listened to. i did here good riddance when i was younger, but never knew it was green day until years later. this song got me into green day and changed my music tastes

3. Longview- this song showed me that i wasnt the only person in the world alone, bored, tired of shit, life, everything, tired of sitting around doing nothing....i wasnt the only person in the world who had nothing to do. also that i wasnt the only person who fucking masturbated out of boredom ><. the only part of the song i didnt relate to at the time was the drugs. but now....haha..lets just say now i can relate to the whole song

4. Armatage Shanks - this song, at one point in my life, was spot on how i felt. im a huge pessimist, im the only reason my life is the way it is, i am the reason i was alone, with no one, i was just flat out depressed. and this song enveloped all that i felt

5. Words i might have ate - i have blamed myself for fucking up a lot of relationships. i have since come to realize that it was a good thing i was not with some of these guys anymore. before i realized this, i always thought there was something i did to fuck up and i was the reason guys were dumping me. but i have changed a lot since. this song was always just comfort to know, that i wasnt the only person who made relationship mistakes

• 3 weeks later...

That was an amazing write-up that Amanda did! I'd say my top 5 Green Day songs that had an impact on my life are (in no specific order):

1. Having A Blast: This song always made me feel happy when I was mad at someone. I love how the lyrics are and it's very creative (IMO) and I love the emotion in the song, even if it's about suicide.

2. Last Night On Earth: This song is HUGE for me. It is an amazing love song (IMO, although not as good as When It's Time) and it means a lot to me. When my dad started dating my now step-mom, I had just gotten into 21CB. I heard LNOE and I always joked that it was their song. This month was their wedding and they asked me to sing it for them. I love that song and it has a special meaning to me now.

3. Bab's Uvula Who?: This was a song that I would always go crazy to. I love listening to it and it has awesome lyrics. I also love their faster songs.

4. One of My Lies: I like how it goes and I tend to lie a lot and it struck me as a song that was like a breakup/pre-breakup song and I love the lyrics "...do you think you're indestructible and no one can touch you, well I think you're disposable and it's time you know the truth, 'cause you're just one of my lies."

5. Who Wrote Holden Caulfield?: I found out what The Catcher In The Rye was right before I heard this song and I saw the title on the Kerplunk! CD and I thought "Oh a Catcher In The Rye reference. I listened to it and was hooked on the lyrics instantly. I love the song and now I listen to it everyday. I love the lyrics and the way it sounds. It's an awesome live song, too "I shuffle through my mind, to see if I could find, the words I left behind."

2. Last Night On Earth: This song is HUGE for me. It is an amazing love song (IMO, although not as good as When It's Time) and it means a lot to me. When my dad started dating my now step-mom, I had just gotten into 21CB. I heard LNOE and I always joked that it was their song. This month was their wedding and they asked me to sing it for them. I love that song and it has a special meaning to me now.

Awwwww! :happy:

Ok here we go if anyone's interested:

1. Stuck With Me - basically sums up the anger waiting to burst out of all of us, with certain lines like 'I'm not part of your elite, I'm just all right' really summing me up, or so it feels at times and 'not subservient to you' is just great. They are being very punky in the song, especially the video and it hit me when I heard it first time as being fabulous!

2. American Idiot - well, the first Green Day song I heard. I remember thinking how amazing it was that this band were saying what everyone thought at the time. You only have to watch Bullet in a Bible to realise what an impact this song had.

3. Longview - the perfect antidote to teenage boredom. The tedium of the throbbing bass line with the spat out lyrics then the crescendo of the chorus causing one of the loudest and most disillusioned sounds ever.

4. Coming Clean - the whole sound of the song just is brilliant, simple yet effective. Everyone has been where Billie Joe is in this song. I remember when I listened to Dookie I never thought it was that great, but then when I heard it live it all suddenly made sense! (or at least seemed like a good song)

5. 2000 Light Years Away - obvious really. Great imagery, I particularly like 'she holds my malachite so tight so, never let go' which is quite typical, I know, but it is so true.

^Great song list. I especially love what you said about "Longview." Though I think it sums up boredom for any age. :lol:

the songs that have an big impact of my life are

1. boulevard of broken dreams - this song got me into green day

2. no one knows

3. jesus of suburbia- esp. the line "to live and not to breathe is to die in tragedy"

4. favorite son

5. extraoridnary girl

these songs and a lot more are reflecting my life perfectly and that is the main reason why i listen do green day :)

I can't really make a list because all of their songs have had a special impact on me, but the one that did the most was Hold On. I was going through some tough times with my family and friends and it looked really fucking dark and I was pretty weak, but listening to that song on repeat helped me get through all the shit that was going on around me and toughen up. :lol:

Great posts people - interesting reads. Top 5 most meaningful songs? Ouch, too hard to do. So instead i've made some top 5's for different reasons, which if anything shows the strength and depth of Green Day's discography. (as soon as i press post i know i'm gonna think - oh wait what about this song...)

Top 5 i like to rock out to;

1. Jesus of Suburbia

2. Geek Stink Breath

3. Homecoming

4. Hithcin' a ride

5. Minority

Top 5 songs about i relate to love/relationships;

1. Good Riddance (Time of your life)

2. Whatshername

3. She

4. Pulling Teeth

5. Poprocks and Coke

Top 5 songs for when i'm in a solemn mood;

1. Boulevard of Broken Dreams

2. 21 Guns

3. Wake Me When Septembers Ends

4. Give Me Novacaine

5. St Christie Road

I could go on for a long time, haven't even found a category for some of my most favourite songs like Paper Lanterns and 2000 Light Years Away, ooh and !Viva La Gloria! and...

... i'll stop now!

• 2 months later...

Vou fazer a minha uma pouco diferente, pois não sou muito bom com o inglês!

5 - Holiday - Foi a canção que me apresentou ao Green Day e ao Rock 'n' Roll, acho que gostei quase imediatamente quando vi o clipe em 2005 num programa da MTV, foi um dos momentos que sem querer mudou a minha vida!

4 - Jesus Of Suburbia - Eu gosto mais da versão do Bullet In A Bible, a força que essa canção tem, quando eles falam sobre viver numa cidade fodida qualquer, sem chance de mudança e nenhuma perspectiva de futuro possível, se sentir esquecido, inútil, insignificante, também é sobre ser diferente, sobre o Life Wasted e o Self-Destruction, nessa música e no álbum American Idiot é perceptível pra quem escutou desde o 39/Smooth que apesar do visual eles não perderam sua excedência que e o mais importante na minha opinião, isso é o que faz eles serem eles! e Tales Of Another Broken Home me remete ao desejo de sair da merda e buscar os seus sonhos, To Run To Run Away To Find What You Believe! Encarar todas as adversidades impostas! Uma da melhores músicas!

3 - Macy's Day Parade - Eu me identifico com essa letra, pra mim é uma das melhores que O Billie Escreveu, eu a ouvi muito no tempo mais tenso e importante da minha vida (meu Rock Bottom), essa canção me faz refletir e me ajudou a levantar, a pensar que eu não devo mais me importar com o que as pessoas pensam de mim e buscar uma esperança, mesmo com a visão negativa de mundo que tenho!

2 - J.A.R - também do tempo mais importante, ela me ajudou a me erguer psicologicamente a partir de quando eu comecei a refletir sobre o que eu estava fazendo comigo, eu estava desperdiçando toda a minha capacidade e vontade de ser alguém melhor num processo de autodestruição, percebi que eu posso me tornar alguém muito melhor, essa canção me ajudou a crescer e me faz surtar até hoje, principalmente quando ouço a versão do Show do dia 20.10.2010, um dos momentos mais importantes da minha vida!

1 - Uptight - É a canção que eu mais me identifico e minha favorita, Sempre, pois eu já me senti como cada palavra da canção descreve, desanimado, cansado, desacreditado, uma imagem perfeita de má saúde, nervoso, angustiado e querendo morrer. Quebrei meus compromissos e promessas feitas pra mim mesmo, sentia que não poderia chegar a nenhum lugar, desisti dos meus sonhos várias vezes, me senti uma merda, quase sem esperança e só via saída na morte! É meio difícil explicar o que eu sinto quando ouço essa canção e adoraria que o Green Day a tocasse ao vivo.

Vou fazer a minha uma pouco diferente, pois não sou muito bom com o inglês!

5 - Holiday - Foi a canção que me apresentou ao Green Day e ao Rock 'n' Roll, acho que gostei quase imediatamente quando vi o clipe em 2005 num programa da MTV, foi um dos momentos que sem querer mudou a minha vida!

4 - Jesus Of Suburbia - Eu gosto mais da versão do Bullet In A Bible, a força que essa canção tem, quando eles falam sobre viver numa cidade fodida qualquer, sem chance de mudança e nenhuma perspectiva de futuro possível, se sentir esquecido, inútil, insignificante, também é sobre ser diferente, sobre o Life Wasted e o Self-Destruction, nessa música e no álbum American Idiot é perceptível pra quem escutou desde o 39/Smooth que apesar do visual eles não perderam sua excedência que e o mais importante na minha opinião, isso é o que faz eles serem eles! e Tales Of Another Broken Home me remete ao desejo de sair da merda e buscar os seus sonhos, To Run To Run Away To Find What You Believe! Encarar todas as adversidades impostas! Uma da melhores músicas!

3 - Macy's Day Parade - Eu me identifico com essa letra, pra mim é uma das melhores que O Billie Escreveu, eu a ouvi muito no tempo mais tenso e importante da minha vida (meu Rock Bottom), essa canção me faz refletir e me ajudou a levantar, a pensar que eu não devo mais me importar com o que as pessoas pensam de mim e buscar uma esperança, mesmo com a visão negativa de mundo que tenho!

2 - J.A.R - também do tempo mais importante, ela me ajudou a me erguer psicologicamente a partir de quando eu comecei a refletir sobre o que eu estava fazendo comigo, eu estava desperdiçando toda a minha capacidade e vontade de ser alguém melhor num processo de autodestruição, percebi que eu posso me tornar alguém muito melhor, essa canção me ajudou a crescer e me faz surtar até hoje, principalmente quando ouço a versão do Show do dia 20.10.2010, um dos momentos mais importantes da minha vida!

1 - Uptight - É a canção que eu mais me identifico e minha favorita, Sempre, pois eu já me senti como cada palavra da canção descreve, desanimado, cansado, desacreditado, uma imagem perfeita de má saúde, nervoso, angustiado e querendo morrer. Quebrei meus compromissos e promessas feitas pra mim mesmo, sentia que não poderia chegar a nenhum lugar, desisti dos meus sonhos várias vezes, me senti uma merda, quase sem esperança e só via saída na morte! É meio difícil explicar o que eu sinto quando ouço essa canção e adoraria que o Green Day a tocasse ao vivo.

Great songs, but Ingles por favor.

in no order of importance:

-When I Come around

-Macy's Day Parade

-Longview

-Christie Road

-Whatsername

I may elaborate later...its late :P

1. Know Your Enemy

This song choice may sounds stupid, but it was the first single the band put out that I was a "fan" for. I listened to it heavily through the summer of 2009, and the song never got old.

2. 21 Guns

Another from 21st Century Breakdown, 21 Guns had a big impact. Like above, I listened to it all summer and beyond, and it must've had at least 115 plays on iTunes before I reset the play count.

3. Who Wrote Holden Caulfield?

This song could have possibly been the song that introduced me to Kerplunk!, which would later become my favorite album. Either way, it has been my favorite song from the album since I got it for my birthday at my birthday in 2010.

I'll post the other two songs later when I get more time to do it, which would be later when I get home.

• 3 weeks later...

the second i heard longview i was in love..but when i heard j.a.r. at the movies on angus...i flipped. i knew they would be my favorite band for the rest of my life. Nofx a very close second though.

American Idiot - This was the first Green Day song to catch my attention and draw me in to being a fan! I remember loving the song as soon as I heard it, and going home and putting it on repeat until I learnt all the words. This was genesis for me.

Macy's Day Parade - Whenever I look back at a certain memorable trip or holiday I've been on in the past, I always remember listening to this song. I remember using it to get in the holiday spirit at the beginning of a trip, and then cheering myself up at the end. Love it.

Jesus of Suburbia - There's no real story behind this one, I just think the song is an absolute masterpiece. You can tell Billie put his soul into writing this one. Each section of the song is filled with different emotions, and it can make you change your view on life in a matter of...well, nine minutes.

Going to Pasalacqua - This song reminds me of the week I was on work experience. I used to listen to it a lot on the way there, I think because it was my favourite song at the time. But because of that, the song reminds me of growing up, and moving on with my life.

Jason Andrew Relva - The words to this song touch me so much, because they're absolutely spot on. I'm sure Mike's friend would be very proud of this song, because not only is it brilliantly written, but it's beautifully performed, especially live.

• 8 months later...

Wake me up when September ends because my dad died when I was 10 and that was his favorite green day song according to my mom

Archived