khaab

crafting projects

Penguin Puffball

The only problem is, their stuff can be so expensive.

lizziebix

Coupons? Anything on sale, in store? Sometimes they have bins with merchandise for almost nothing.

Penguin Puffball

I've never noticed any bins, I'll have to look for that.

lizziebix

Now that the weather has turned more fall-ish and football season has started, I dug out my knitting last night for the first time in months. Started witht an off-white knubby yarn for a neck warmer. Really liking the look and feel. Can't wait to finish and then wear! (Might have to make one for a friend at work. She always wants whatever I make!)

lizziebix

Finished the neck warmer. It's big and bulky and warm. Can't wait to wear it.

Also, made a long narrow scarf out of Persian silk. It's mutli-colored and simply gorgeous, if I may say so myself!

Next to finish a tank top I started long ago and then...hmmm...I don't know what I want to make next. Something simple that will go quickly but I'd also like a bigger project on needles too.

Didn't make any Halloween toys this year. Not sure why. Didn't really see anything interesting this year I guess. Maybe something for the Thanksgiving table? Need ideas!!

Kayfabe

I started a scrap book if that counts

lizziebix

I started a scrap book if that counts

Counts by me! Do you go to those scrap books stores and buy all the cool paper cutouts? (I have an addiction to pretty paper things but never scrap booked.)

I have a friend at work that was really into scrap booking. Even went on weekends with friends to do it all together. Her pages were gorgeous. I was quite jealous really!

Kayfabe

Counts by me! Do you go to those scrap books stores and buy all the cool paper cutouts? (I have an addiction to pretty paper things but never scrap booked.)

I have a friend at work that was really into scrap booking. Even went on weekends with friends to do it all together. Her pages were gorgeous. I was quite jealous really!

no. i just realised my city has an insane amount of freesheet newspapers and magazines, so whenever i get one i cut out all the pretty things. sometimes the things end up telling a story and it's really interesting, that's why i started

lizziebix

no. i just realised my city has an insane amount of freesheet newspapers and magazines, so whenever i get one i cut out all the pretty things. sometimes the things end up telling a story and it's really interesting, that's why i started

Iolanda, that sounds so cool. More like a collage. I used to do that in art in high school and that was exactly what our teacher always said. Pull the pictures and let the story tell itself. I haven't thought about that in ages. Good memories of fun times.

Post something here if you'd like. I certainly would love to "read" your stories!

Kayfabe

Iolanda, that sounds so cool. More like a collage. I used to do that in art in high school and that was exactly what our teacher always said. Pull the pictures and let the story tell itself. I haven't thought about that in ages. Good memories of fun times.

Post something here if you'd like. I certainly would love to "read" your stories!

well, there is not much there to show yet so it'd be a bit underwhelming. but maybe when i've added more stuff

lizziebix

well, there is not much there to show yet so it'd be a bit underwhelming. but maybe when i've added more stuff

When you feel it's ready, please share. :) And, of course, have fun doing it!

Emilie

Going to start making a castle type thing out of cardboard boxes/paper mache today. Like the one I made in grade 3 but better.

GreenDayisAmazing

I've made some braclets with some beads my sisters friend brought over. I couldn't find any to spell out Green Day so I made one that says Warning and one that says GD Nimrod. I also made a necklace that says Green Day and I've made a few Green Day t-shirts. Nothing to creative i'm not very talented.

lizziebix

I've made some braclets with some beads my sisters friend brought over. I couldn't find any to spell out Green Day so I made one that says Warning and one that says GD Nimrod. I also made a necklace that says Green Day and I've made a few Green Day t-shirts. Nothing to creative i'm not very talented.

All of that sounds awesome. Do you have pictures you can share? :)

Penguin Puffball

Paint by numbers are beast.

• Like 1

The Snark

Wait wait...there's been a thread on here about crafting and I didn't know about it?! :o

I knit, crochet, felt (wet and needle), spin (yarn, not bikes), do chainmail, cross stitch a little bit, and have woven a few scarves. Basically, I have crafting ADD. I have so many different craft supplies that I could open up my own store. Although yarn makes up most of it. Amigurumis are my favorite things to make. I have a whole brood of weird things: cthulhu, a mushroom, an ear of corn, a two-headed goat...I'll post a picture later this week.

• Like 1

lizziebix

Wait wait...there's been a thread on here about crafting and I didn't know about it?! :o

I knit, crochet, felt (wet and needle), spin (yarn, not bikes), do chainmail, cross stitch a little bit, and have woven a few scarves. Basically, I have crafting ADD. I have so many different craft supplies that I could open up my own store. Although yarn makes up most of it. Amigurumis are my favorite things to make. I have a whole brood of weird things: cthulhu, a mushroom, an ear of corn, a two-headed goat...I'll post a picture later this week.

I knew there was another reason I liked you!

I totally understand the crafting ADD. And hubby swears if I buy anymore yarn, he'll throw it all out! So much and so little time to work with it all. But I'm trying! The only amigurumi I've made is a Kirby for a friend by that same name! I could never find a pattern so I just had to go by pictures and hope no one knew the difference! Turned out pretty cute. No pix though! :(

AwePuppy

i crafted a quillow, its a quilt with a pocket where you can fold the quilt up and its a pillow! i want to make another one

lizziebix

i crafted a quillow, its a quilt with a pocket where you can fold the quilt up and its a pillow! i want to make another one

Sounds adorable and practical too! Did you design it yourself?

lizziebix

Have been invited to a baby shower at work. Will be making booties and hats. One pair will be red Mary Janes with buttons and the other(s) will look like really small Uggs! The hats are tiny too and one looks like a fisherman's hat (with cuffed front and earflaps) and the other is just a small stocking cap. Will be using neutral (non-girl or boy) colors from my stash. Very excited. Haven't had a baby to make things for since my nieces and nephews were born 5-7 years ago!

Whatsernamy

I have been so crafty lately. The most recent thing I made was this fall picture frame thing that I ended up liking a lot :happy:

I want to learn how to knit SO BADLY. Is it hard?

lizziebix

I have been so crafty lately. The most recent thing I made was this fall picture frame thing that I ended up liking a lot :happy:

I want to learn how to knit SO BADLY. Is it hard?

It just takes practice. Getting used to the feel of the 2 needles and the motion of moving the yarn around. Learning what feels best as far as the fingering and threading (this is not meant to sound sexual!). I would suggest getting large needles, maybe 15" or 17" and a cheap yarn and practice. Rip out when you make a mistake and start over. And just keep going. You'll get the hang of it by the time the skein is finished. Good luck!

btw...how did you make the frame and what did you use?

fiercecircus

I know, right? I am a crazy crafter.

I sew pretty well (machine). I do some of my own costumes and also some simple stuff like potholders, placemats, little housewares-y things. I am actually doing a craft fair in a few weeks so i will have pictures of my stuff and i'll put it up on an etsy page eventually and you guys can have a go at it as well.

I also am a huge fan of decoupage! I love refinishing ANYTHING and decoupaging the shit out of it. I have a set of barstools that i did for my house- repainted them and covered them in old liquor ads... I love finding old magazines (circa 1960's and earlier- the earlier the better) and finding the crazy ads (cigarette ads, womens products, etc) and finding good places for them. I am doing a whole shitload of that for the craft fair as well. I just got four new magazines yesterday! (you can get them for 2-5 bucks a piece at antiques stores.)

and because i was *that* cool, i did a needlepoint Dookie Logo when i was 14 or so. The explosion logo- it was probably 11x14 or so. I have no idea where it is now but i had fun making it at the time.

I haven't done any green day crafts since then, but i have been thinking of trying glass etching and the green day logo's are easy enough (kerplunk flower, heart/handgrenade) so i might try it. I have a box of 24 pint glasses downstairs for this express purpose (i bought extra because i'm sure i will fuck many up. I have safety goggles and gloves. it's on...)

EDITED TO ADD: I know how to crochet the most basic stitches, and i suck at it. My gram showed me how to knit years ago and i've forgotten. Also, the really NICE yarn is expensive and you need a lot of it... it's cheaper to just buy a really cool hat :(. But i have this REALLY GREAT YARN. It came from a spinnery in vermont and it is lovely- i think it is half alpaca/half wool. This place is right up the road from where i take trapeze lessons and they really do spin their own wool, they have a little outlet store where you can get odd-lots, seconds, etc and i got some and i just can't make anything with it. If anyone wants it- let me know and we'll work out a trade or something. And moreover- i can get you more, or give you the website for the place.

It makes me sad. It's just sitting there on top of my craft bin being lonely. I wanted to send it to Adrienne when she did her Awareknits book because i couldn't think of anyone else who would appreciate really awesome locally made yarn. But that would probably label me a stalker or something... :(. Anyways, it's really nice and i just want someone to do something awesome with it.

Penguin Puffball

I wanna learn how to crochet snowflakes.

The Snark

It makes me sad. It's just sitting there on top of my craft bin being lonely. I wanted to send it to Adrienne when she did her Awareknits book because i couldn't think of anyone else who would appreciate really awesome locally made yarn. But that would probably label me a stalker or something... :(. Anyways, it's really nice and i just want someone to do something awesome with it.

I'm sure if you explain why you're sending it, she wouldn't go looking for a restraining order right away. Although, she strikes me as the type of person who would send the yarn back with knitting needles and instructions. :)

I wanna learn how to crochet snowflakes.

I've done exactly one out of thread, and that was more than enough of that. Perhaps something like this?