Welcome To Paradise

Liam

Well because there hasn't been a new SotW this week and justcause has done it for the past 2 weeks, I decided this to have a go at it this week!

This weeks song is Welcome To Paradise and was originally recorded in roughly 1992 for their album of the same year Kerplunk! It was then rerecorded in 1993 for their 1994 album Dookie. Since then the song has been a known song among all Green Day fans and has been featured on their newly released live album "Awesome as Fuck" and on their 2001 greatest hits album International Superhits! and is playable on Green Day: Rock Band. Written by all 3 members, it is about their experience of moving out of their parents house and living in an abandon broken-down house along with other people without paying any rent. During its singles release in 1994, it reached #7 on the U.S. Billboard Modern Rock Tracks.

I actually decided to choose this song because its personally one of my favourite songs and to also celebrate the 10 year anniversary of GDA because its the place where this "paradise" originally started.

Here's the originally music video that was released but never got not really known about by some people. Its just a live video synced up the original studio audio

Lyrics to Welcome To Paradise

Dear mother,

Can you hear me whining?

It's been three whole weeks

Since that I have left your home

This sudden fear has left me trembling

Cause now it seems that I am out here on my own

And I'm feeling so alone

Pay attention to the cracked streets

And the broken homes

Some call it the slums

Some call it nice

I want to take you through

a wasteland I like to call my home

Welcome To Paradise

A gunshot rings out at the station

Another urchin snaps and left dead on his own

It makes me wonder why I'm still here

For some strange reason it's now

Feeling like my home

And I'm never gonna go

And the broken homes

Some call it slums

Some call it nice

a wasteland I like to call

my home

Welcome To Paradise

Dear mother,

Can you hear me laughing

It's been six whole months

Since that I have left your home

It makes me wonder why I'm still here

For some strange reason it's now

Feeling like my home

And I'm never gonna go

And the broken homes

Some call it the slums

Some call it nice

a wasteland I like to call my home

Welcome To Paradise

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The instrumental bit between the two verses with the bass building up is love. Especially live - the energy in the crowd slowly rising is almost palpable.

thank you, liam :) i'll pin this up for you.

good choice, too! this is one of my favourite green day songs, as well. it reminds me of summer days and hot pavement.

Nice post Liam. Apt choice too for GDA's anniversary. One of Green Day's trademark songs, it wasn't one of my favourites in the early years, but when i learned to play it on guitar, it took on a new feeling. I love it now, it was especially awesome how they launched into this during Hitchin' A Ride on the 21st CB Tour.

Completely amazing song! One of the first Green Day songs I heard and I just loved it. 'Welcome to Paradise' is surely one of Green Day's all time most iconic and best songs. It will always be in a 'greatest hits' or performed live. Unquestionably one of their best songs.

Welcome to Paradise is an awesome song!

When I listened to it for the first time (god, that's long ago..) I fell in love with the "Dear mother, can you hear me laughing?"-line right away. :)

I used to really dislike the WTP version on Kerplunk and only liked the Dookie version. Now i like both. As for the song itself, i like the lyrics, how its about getting out on your own for the first time and kinda just taking a deep breath and going for it and finding out its not all that bad.

Am I the only one who likes the kerplunk version better? I don't know, I love the dookie one as well but on kerplunk, it shows green day can make bad ass songs like that one without the fancy studio sound. It's raw, and I like it.

And this song is fantastic live. As aska said, it makes the crowd go nuts. :D

This was the song that made me fall in love with Green Day. It's still (and probably always will be) one of my favorites. :wub:

Great choice Liam! Like how Aska and Josie said, the crowd's reaction to this song is always full of joy and energy! It's just a perfect song to listen to while driving too! haha :happy:

This song is amazing. Live, it's even better. I've got memories of semi-moshing to this song last August. :P¨

I personally prefer the Dookie version. The Kerplunk version just seems all over the place.

I remember this was the first Dookie song I ever bought. This song probably got me into the younger Green Day. Not to mention that the song is totally relatable!

Am I the only one who likes the kerplunk version better? I don't know, I love the dookie one as well but on kerplunk, it shows green day can make bad ass songs like that one without the fancy studio sound. It's raw, and I like it.

I like the Kerplunk version better too! :thumbsup:

I think this was the first Green Day song I heard, that made me really get into them anyway. It's bizzare how it seems the same for alot of other fans too. I guess it was the song around the time of all the Dookie hype..or the song that started it. It'll always be one of my favourite songs as it still reminds me so clearly of that error.

one of my favourite GD songs, not sure why - probably because of the tempo and I love singing along to it!

It reminds me of this corny song, the letter from camp, the progression from 'this place is SCAREY' to 'this place is ALRITE!!'. It comes on full-on, and it seems simple, but it's full of complex emotions and discovery. 'Dear Mother' - It's the one last plea for understanding, and it's the moment of breaking the bonds, of saying that this place is one scarey shithole, but it's what I prefer to being safe and cared-for, because this place is MINE. It has that sense of wonder that somewhere so seeming-inhospitable is exactly what you need - somewhere to test you, somewhere to find out who you are. It resonates with MPLS Song - 'broke and lonely, cold and hungry, and though it may seem funny, I'm doing alrite' - and oh, the chilly sound of that song, the rain and the waiting and vulnerability, the ache of the dreaming, the burning light of the music. 'Welcome to Paradise' - ironic words, weighty words, cutting thru tender ties - becoming who we are.

This is my favorite video - it's practically fucking feral. :)

Oh my fucking god this is my all time favorite song by Green Day (hell, it's my favorite song period). I play it with my band all the time too, it is my favorite song to listen to AND to play! :dance:

this and burnout were the songs that sold me on Green Day! i just love everything about it, the Dookie version (in my opinion) is better

nice choice for SOTW!

My favourite Kerplunk song :wub:. It's like a snapshot of that time and place and all the feelings that went with it, so it has to be the original, authentic, rough round the edges Kerplunk version for me (plus the Kerplunk version has those cool - as Mike once put it - "spooky" noises in the instrumental bit :D) . The lyrics perfectly capture those mixed feelings of leaving home and feeling apprehensive along with the excitement of striking out on his own, and the love and pride he has for this new place despite it's flaws.

Love the long instrumental bit in the middle, the way it builds up is really cool. And I really like watching Billie messing around making feedback with his guitar and the speaker during that bit on stage, he always looks like he enjoys doing that a lot :happy:. They seem to love playing that song live, loads of fun for both the band and the crowd.

I do often think of when Billie said that before AI when the band was pissing each other off a lot Tre said to him that Welcome To Paradise is a "shitty song". I wonder if he really meant that? Well they've played it plenty of times since then so maybe not haha.

One of my favourites :banana: It always makes me sing out loud and dance

Also it's my farvourite to play on GD RB :D

Also it's my farvourite to play on GD RB :D

Ahh I love it on there! Nice and tricky. The instrumental bit is really hard on bass, I like the challenge of it.

Archived