Original Songs or the Acoustic Versions?

Jack

I am a huge fan of Billie's acoustic encores in concert. The songs he picks to play acoustically are, in my opinion, usually better than the originals. What do you guys think? Also, what are your favorite songs to hear Billie play acoustic? Here's a short list of the songs Billie has acoustically played live :happy: :

-Redundant

-Waiting

-Macy's Day Parade

-Extraordinary Girl

-She's a Rebel

-Before the Lobotomy

-Last Night on Earth

-Wake Me Up When September Ends

-Words I Might Have Ate

-Olivia

-Drama Queen

-Give Me Novacaine

-Whatsername

-Christie Road

-Coming Clean

-Pulling Teeth

-Good Riddance (Time of Your Life)

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love when he does the acoustic encores but songs like 80, Coming Clean, LNOE, and especially Redundant are songs that I don't like so stripped down, and I would love to hear them played live normally. :)

i love the acoustic encores that Billie does. they just seem so personal :)

i also like when acoustic songs go full band too. not necessarily Green Day but just in general

I first heard the acoustic version of Extraordinary Girl just the other day and I thought it was so beautiful. I love the song no matter what, but I think I prefer the acoustic version to the original...but I prefer the musical version above all.

Pulling teeth made me cry like a waterfall.

As many people have said before, i would love it if they would make an acoustic album.

But people bitch and they'll probably say, 'Oh, Green Day have run out of ideas :( '

I tend to like acoustic versions better, but the original ones are always amazing. My favorite ones that he has played acoustic are WMUWSE and Macy's Day Parade. :happy:

Bridge School Benefit. All acoustic.

Best concert they've ever done.

Geek Stink Breath and Hitchin' a Ride are amazing.

80 sounds incredible acoustic.

That it most definately does. Do you have a good quality recording of it acoustically? The one I have is kinda shitty =/

Bridge School Benefit. All acoustic.

Best concert they've ever done.

Geek Stink Breath and Hitchin' a Ride are amazing.

I like it too, but I find myself kindof wishing that it was just Billie Joe. To me, something is really only actually acoustic when there are no drums.....dont know why

The acoustic versions are always amazing. Something about them always just feels amazing. Absolutely LOVE Whatsername acoustic and would've loved to have heard more of She's a Rebel :lol:

I love the acoustic versions Billie Joe does.. but I also like the original versions. I can't really chose it's both awesome!

I love the way he does songs acoustic at the end of the show! Not more than the original versions, but it's great to see the songs performed a totally different way. It's a lovely poignant way to end the show. As Pulling Teeth, Blood Sex And Booze and Redundant are all in my top 5 favourite Green Day songs ever, I especially like it when he does those.

LOVE this acoustic version of Redundant that they did on TV :wub:. So cool to see Billie and Mike playing it together (Tre was otherwise occupied :D)

I love the way he does songs acoustic at the end of the show! Not more than the original versions, but it's great to see the songs performed a totally different way. It's a lovely poignant way to end the show. As Pulling Teeth, Blood Sex And Booze and Redundant are all in my top 5 Green Day songs ever, I especially like it when he does those.

LOVE this acoustic version of Redundant that they did on TV :wub:. So cool to see Billie and Mike playing it together (Tre was otherwise occupied :D)

Don't quote videos!

Thanks for posting that. I hadn't seen it before and loved it a lot.

Also 100% worthy of mention, are Paper Lanterns, One for the Razorback, and Words I Might've Ate from that one radio show. The bonus tracks on the reissue of 1,039. Paper Lanterns is my favorite from those ones.

Macy's Day Parade, When September Ends and Extraordinary Girl are a few of my favourite accoustic versions that I probably prefer to the originals. Always gives me a chill when I hear an accoustic track live

Some of the songs make me cry!

Someone should compile all the acoustic versions and put out an album here.

Some of the songs make me cry!

Someone should compile all the acoustic versions and put out an album here.

I totaly agree :)

You guys aren't really showing "Last Night on Earth" much love. Look, it may send a million times better with piano, but that song is absolutely gorgeous. Just listen to "All My Loving" by the Beatles, and tell me they don't mirror each other. I love this song, and my girlfriend and I hope to dance to this song at our wedding. It's a beautiful acoustic version, and the live video they released is one of my favorite versions of that song ever.

I also love Whatsername. He did a great job singing that one.

Another thing I love about the acoustic versions, or just them live in general, is watching Billie play older stuff, and seeing how they change them up. In a way, it is as if they are playing it the way they wish it would have been on the album. You have to figure that when writing and recording songs, there is a lot of hesitation and finally the producer is just like, "It sounds great, but we gotta move on." Well, Green Day has made changes to a lot of the songs over the years.

One thing that always cracks me up is this idea that some people have about recording music. They imagine that a song is recorded and then they make the right changes to it, and then BOOM! it sounds perfect. This isn't true at all. Generally there is a ton of second guessing and dispute. In the end, it all comes down to (time x money/stubbornness = a new song).

The acoustic version of Christie Road is EPIC!

You guys aren't really showing "Last Night on Earth" much love. Look, it may send a million times better with piano, but that song is absolutely gorgeous.

I absolutley agree.

I like the acoustic version version of Last Night on Earth so much more than the original

I've always been a sucker for acoustic music. I was so happy when he started doing the acoustic encores.

I always thought it would be awesome if they rereleased some of their songs acoustic.

Archived