Bad Religion bash Green Day in IL

Riotgrrl_GD

I went to see Bad Religion tonight at Pop's in Sauget, IL (just on the IL side of the river from St. Louis, MO). It was a great show, and I have mad respect for these punk legends, but after their first song Greg thanked Rise Against for taking them out on tour. He said that Bad Religion took Rise Against out on tour back in the day and that they were thankful to Rise Against for giving back and choosing Bad Religion to support them on this tour. Then he says, "not to name names but some bands (maybe that have a play Broadway) don't do that, they don't give back." I've never though of Green Day as a band that doesn't give back. Did they, in fact, ever open for Bad Religion or receive any support from them back in the day? What was the basis for this comment? They are amazing to their fans; I can attest to that personally, but it got me thinking about other ways they could support 90's bands that may have helped them out years ago. In the age of Green Day 2.0 I would LOVE to see a band like Bad Religion or Rancid open for them. Is there anything left of Green Day's first incarnation?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, back in '94, Green Day supported Bad Religion along with Seaweed.

Damn they shouldn't have said that cause not only do I love GD but I also love BR. And I mean I'm guessing GD did probably want to tour with them and stuff, but probly can't cause how they rank and stuff.

Woah.. that's got to be awkward. Cus if I remember right, GD and Rise Against were somewhat cool with each other. :unsure:

But I dunno, it sounds a bit bitter, :lol: But I'm not even going to try and criticize these guys but yeah.. that's strange.

GD and RA are cool with each other, as far as anyone knows. Sounds like Greg was just being a grumpy grump. I love and respect the man, but nobody likes a brat. Get over it.

I remember reading somewhere that Green Day said they respect Bad Religion too much to let them open for them, but Bad Religion just thought that they were being ungrateful.

Yeah Green Day NEVER gives back. They didn't donate a whole live system to Gilman St., they didn't get Pansy Division on tour during their big break, they just talk shit about all these bands from the 90's who they respect.

/sarcasm

Woah.. that's got to be awkward. Cus if I remember right, GD and Rise Against were somewhat cool with each other. :unsure:

But I dunno, it sounds a bit bitter, :lol: But I'm not even going to try and criticize these guys but yeah.. that's strange.

It was awkward... since I was in the front row and dying to see BR for the first time (wearing a 21st CBD shirt)! Then he's like, "Ok, we're gonna play something form the 20th century." I was so excited to be there and the comment kinda put a bad taste in my mouth. I came in with so much respect and it almost turned into a pity party. I would pay to see them again, for sure, but I hate to think they harbor ill will toward the GD boys. They have so many similar ideals... it was just weird.

I agree with you andres, they also didn't take AFI on the road with them for the last tour or let aaron go on tour with them... they are just a bunch of sellouts who never gave back...

/sarcasm/

Sounds to me like this band was just being a bit whiny...

Yeah Green Day NEVER gives back. They didn't donate a whole live system to Gilman St., they didn't get Pansy Division on tour during their big break, they just talk shit about all these bands from the 90's who they respect.

/sarcasm

I was thinking about Gilman and how Green Day is so loyal to their hometown and other bands from the area. It just didn't seem to add up, but I really wasn't expecting that from BR just because, I guess, I had this image in my mind of what they'd be like and it turns out... well, like this.

I remember reading somewhere that Green Day said they respect Bad Religion too much to let them open for them, but Bad Religion just thought that they were being ungrateful.

Sounds like it.

Hmmm someone's bitter. Besides, wasn't the green day and bad religion tour more co headlining than supporting? And anyway it's crap. Even Aaron Cometbus will vouch for that one.

Wow. That knocks off a few 'respect-points' for Bad Religion...

It was awkward... since I was in the front row and dying to see BR for the first time (wearing a 21st CBD shirt)! Then he's like, "Ok, we're gonna play something form the 20th century." I was so excited to be there and the comment kinda put a bad taste in my mouth. I came in with so much respect and it almost turned into a pity party. I would pay to see them again, for sure, but I hate to think they harbor ill will toward the GD boys. They have so many similar ideals... it was just weird.

Well at least you were reppin the guys ;)

But yeah it just all sounds very sicking.. like I dunno, the only reason why I can imagine that Bad Religion would want to go on tour with Green Day is to get bigger as a band, therefore making more money, therefore it just makes the whole meaning behind the band really shady.

Well at least you were reppin the guys ;)

But yeah it just all sounds very sicking.. like I dunno, the only reason why I can imagine that Bad Religion would want to go on tour with Green Day is to get bigger as a band, therefore making more money, therefore it just makes the whole meaning behind the band really shady.

Exactly.

Maybe Green Day could start it from right now.

Greg was right i think.

but Billie Joe was said right to, give an opening act for band that older from Green Day is a little bit un-respect.

Green Day is on the big thing that every band can reach.

and i think this is the right time to give those bands from 90's a back act.

Bands do bash each others names but it sounds like he's just being a bit of a brat... Haven't seen Green Day so anything wrong to deserve it anyways

That really suprises me. They never seemed like a band that makes petty little digs at other bands.

I think the worst thing about this is that Bad Religion is a supporting band. That just seems wrong.

I wouldn't recognise Bad Religion if they turned up on my doorstep carrying buckets and offered to wash my car and mow my lawn.

However, even my 92 year old neighbour knows who Green Day are.

Is this Greg guy mates with Johnny 'the butter seller' Lydon?

I wouldn't recognise Bad Religion if they turned up on my doorstep carrying buckets and offered to wash my car and mow my lawn.

However, even my 92 year old neighbour knows who Green Day are.

Is this Greg guy mates with Johnny 'the butter seller' Lydon?

oh, no way, Greg's a super smart, articulate guy, he's even got a Ph.D and has lectured at UCLA. Don't even put them in the same sentence :lol:

Which is why I'm so surprised that he'd take a cheap dig at GD like that

Yeah, exactly :lol: The guy's amazing. I really hope we hear something more about this that explains it, cause this is extremely out of character.

I'm sort of surprised. In fact, Jay said that Green Day asked Bad Religion to open for them, but BR couldn't do it because they had plans to support TDoM... Maybe Greg was being sarcastic/joking? I dunno. Blah blah blah.

Edit: Note that this was last year, before the album came out, I believe.

Archived