American Eulogy

greendaytone

American Eulogy from Green Day's most recent studio album 21st Century Breakdown is this weeks song of the moment.

Here's a video with the lyrics:

Discuss your thoughts/feelings about this song here!

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I actually love this song favourite one off of 21st Century Breakdown. Second best song played live in my opinion.

The "I am a nation with bureaucratic ties" part, the guitar behind that is my favourite part of 21stCB, wish it had gone on for a couple of bars longer!!

SO powerful live, holy shit. i'm so happy i got to hear it in person. :happy:

Very quickly, I just have this to say: Billie Joe Armstrong is a fucking prophet -- the kind of prophet that tells you what you *need* to hear, which is usually not what you *want* to hear. All the rest is details. I'll write more about this when I have time later.

Awesome lyrics. Awesome performed live. Awesome song.

One of my favourites off the album and performed live (and i'm glad i got to see the live performance of this in person) :happy:

One of my favourite songs from the album for sure, and probably up there with my all time favourites now. There are a few parts of the song i really love...

The part where Billie Joe screams "Christian and GloriA!" and the line "deny the allegation as it's written, FUCKIN' LIES!" are both filled with such power and emotion.

I also really like the 2 chord guitar riff during Mike Dirnt's singing parts, just bounces along really well.

I love the song live, it was always a pleasant mini-surprise on the last tour when they played this instead of Minority.

I remember hearing this for the first time on the album and really not liking it :lol: But hearing it live was incredible, especially when they mixed it up with the nobody likes you part at the end. Gives me goosebumps when I listen back to it.

Guest EDIT

When he said it's just a bunch of n*****s throwing gas into the hysteria!

Well maybe I'm the f****t america!

Kill all the f**s that don't agree!

Raised by the b******s of 1969!

Somewhat offensive lyrics to certain people, LOL!

I love love LOVE this song!

I really think 21CB should have ende with this song.

Also I always get excited when Mike gets to sing :)

When he said it's just a bunch of n*****s throwing gas into the hysteria!

Well maybe I'm the f****t america!

Kill all the f**s that don't agree!

Raised by the b******s of 1969!

Somewhat offensive lyrics to certain people, LOL!

I can assure you that the band doesn't give a flying f**k. :woot:

I love this song. Its def in my top 10 Green Day songs :wub:

Plus I got to hear it at the Marlay Park sound check :hug:

Getting to hear Mike sing is amazing but my fav line has to be:

"Deny the alllegation as its written, FUCKING LIES".

That part is so driven with emotion. Its brilliant :woot:

Ah, American Eulogy. One of my favorite songs from 21CB. Didn't get to see this one live, but from what I saw on the DVD, it certainly packs a punch. What I love about the live version (which doesn't happen with the album version) is when Billie joins Mike to sing/scream "Well, I don't give a shit about the modern age!", it just makes it all that much more powerful, I love it. :wub:

From Deadbeat Holiday to American Eulogy :lol:. Their verses have identical melodies. I enjoy this :D

Yay i absolutely love this song! One of the best from 21CB!

My favourite lyrics are "I dont give a shit about the modern age" i love Mike's part in the song!

So glad i got to hear it live :D

This song is amazing, for sure one of the best from 21st century breakdown. It's always great to hear Mike sing. The lyrics really stick with me and fill me with a lot of emotion. :D

Eulogy is, without a doubt, the climactic event of 21CB. It's also 21CB's masterpiece.

Wow. Um, I hope that was as good for you as it was for us. :) MUCH to think about, and I think that interpretation is one very, very valid one. The one I'm going to offer later is one that centers on Christian and Gloria not as two separate individuals but as two parts of a single, very conflicted character. It leads you to much the same places that you've gone, but puts a different spin on 21CB's loose plot-line.

Absolutely love this song... Definitely one of my favorites off of 21CB...

I love how fast paced it is and how in your face the whole sound of it is... And the lyrics! Ah, the lyrics are just so great, especially Mike's part...

This was one of the first songs I heard off of 21CB when a few songs leaked before the release date and I was blown away. Definitely one of GD's best songs ever, and perhaps my favorite song of theirs to see live.

I love singing this song on GD Rockband and getting out of breath when it comes to Mike's part "I dont wanna live in the modern world"

It's so funny to watch me fail!

American Eulogy is in my top 5 favorites. The lyrics are freaking amazing! I really wish I had the opportunity to see it live.

I have been listening to this non-stop lately. Loving it at the moment. The lyrics are some of the best Billie has written and the song has so much hidden messages and meanings (in my opinion).

I actually just uploaded my guitar-only cover of it :)

American Eulogy

<object height="81" width="400"> <param name="movie" value="http://player.soundcloud.com/player.swf?url=http%3A%2F%2Fapi.soundcloud.com%2Ftracks%2F14980972"></param>'>http://player.soundcloud.com/player.swf?url=http%3A%2F%2Fapi.soundcloud.com%2Ftracks%2F14980972"></param> <param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param> <embed allowscriptaccess="always" height="81" src="http://player.soundcloud.com/player.swf?url=http%3A%2F%2Fapi.soundcloud.com%2Ftracks%2F14980972" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="400"></embed> </object>

My favourite memory of this song, when we saw it during the soundcheck in Dublin, Mike went flying across the stage on a spinny office chair. One of the funniest things I have ever seen!!! :banana:

I wrote the lyrics of mikes part at my wall :banana:

just a great song ! (green day played it at my very first green day concert and at the least one I had been *-*)

When the lyrics for 21st Century Breakdown were released, American Eulogy wasn't exactly my favorite. When I heard the album, "Modern World" slapped me in the face for overlooking the brilliance that is this song. For me American Eulogy is the breathtaking song at the end of a beautiful album that makes perfect sense in all the confusion and hysteria. Mike's voice is absolutely perfect for "Modern World", it brings a whole new level of edginess/reason to it. Most of the time when I am watching the news, this song starts playing in my head.

I was lucky enough to see this live and my friends that were with me couldn't possibly understand why I was screaming and jumping up and down like a maniac. It ended up being the highlight for the Arizona show on the Green Day twitter account. :runaround:

My freaking out was justified

:rolleyes:

:blink: THIS.THIS.THIS.

Archived