CaesarSalad

Game of Thrones

Trotsky
9 hours ago, Jaymee!! said:

Ok while I feel for the people who aren't caught up with the latest episode yet, I'm dying to discuss! I was personally intrigued by Arya saying 'that's not you' (or something similar, whatever it was). What could it mean? At first I got caught up in the Arya's dead theory and that was another page to it, but now I'm wondering if it could've been Bran? I like the latter theory much more, and I can't wait until the next ep! 

At first, I thought Arya was in denial about Nymeria, not wanting to accept that her direwolf had lost all connection to her and returned to the wild, so she was trying to convince herself that was not actually Nymeria who she saw. But a reviewer from a youtube channel who I listen to brought up another possibility: That it was a callback to Arya telling Ned in season 1 "that's not me", to be a proper lady, that it just wasn't in her nature. In this interpretation, Arya saying "that's not you" means that it's not Nymeria's true nature to come with Arya, that she belongs in the wild and isn't mean to be tamed by a human.

On other subjects, TV Euron is starting to grow on me, that combat scene was badass. 

I only have one complaint, regarding a scene with Samwell: 

Samwell needs to do a very painful surgery on Jorah, needs him to be quiet and not scream so they aren't caught, but the best he can give him for pain is some rum? Morphine exists in this universe! It's called milk of the poppy and it's been in this show several times. The Citadel is the center of science in Westeros and I get the impression that experimental treatments happen all the time. You're telling me there is no milk of the poppy in a place full of surgeons? Psh.

Dai.
20 hours ago, Jaymee!! said:

Ok while I feel for the people who aren't caught up with the latest episode yet, I'm dying to discuss! I was personally intrigued by Arya saying 'that's not you' (or something similar, whatever it was). What could it mean? At first I got caught up in the Arya's dead theory and that was another page to it, but now I'm wondering if it could've been Bran? I like the latter theory much more, and I can't wait until the next ep! 

I thought she was telling it to herself. It looked like she was feeling very upset that Nymeria wouldn't join her and turned her back on Arya, and she stopped short and reminded herself that she is stronger than this.

St. Jonny

Finally saw Frodo Ramsey die!! That was a great episode. One of the brutal ones, pretty well done. He needed to die gruesomely. 

Comrade

Episode 3 was baller.

Spoiler

So, to my mind this episode was peak Lannister in a number of ways:

• With Cersei this is as good as it gets. She's won some battles with some fine tactical masterstrokes, but this feels like the top of her mountain. She has Ellaria and she's exacting her revenge. She's finished the Tyrells. She has the Unsullied in a vice-grip. She has the Iron Bank nominally on-side. She's got Jamie on side. The scene of them getting physical was pivotal - it was the ultimate expression of her last vulnerability after the Ellaria scene. Jamie genuinely is her last connection to humanity and emotion. Her going down on him wasn't just male POV lewdness, it was a very particular narrative tool to demonstrate that he - they - represent the last of part of her not consumed by total power. But. If the pieces on the chess board are now to be read, and the preview for episode 4 believed, this is it for her. The Lannister army marching in the open from Highgarden with the gold the Iron Bank demands is going to ambushed and destroyed. Jamie captured, killed or otherwise removed from play as useful to Cersei. Casterly Rock will remain captured. Even if a dragon is brought down, Cersei essentially loses the geographic and emotional war, and that was established in this episode. 
  • For Jamie, he now has the full deck of cards. He knows Cersei and him are safely together. Their scene was also a confirmation that Cersei is promising Euron her hand after all is said and done but intends to be done with him once he's no longer useful. That security in mind, he now knows Tyrion didn't kill Joffrey. But he knows Tyrion did kill Tywin. He knows Cersei is going mad. I don't think he'll be killed next episode - I think Cersei will deem him a traitor when the Lannister army is destroyed, and having been humbled by Dany will be unable to join her because of Tyrion but cast aside by Cersei. He's the truly tragic figure in the Lannister family, and barring his impending military defeat, in that brilliant scene with Olena the penny dropped that he is alone. 
  • Tyrion's plans have come undone completely, but his power as a diplomat shone. Cersei won, Jamie is losing, Tyrion came up somewhere between. Two things have been emphasised with him so far this season: he has given up his heavy drinking, and his clever plotting is very much part of the old world Cersei represents and has both come undone and will be roundly ignored by Dany from here on out. But as her relationship manager, and eventually economist, she'll keep him her Hand - although Jorah's return could change things. For me, his path from here is the least clear, but it was fantastic to see him get a whole load of screen time and actually he was pretty lowkey funny. 

Elsewhere....I like how Bran is becoming detached from 'our' world. He'll ultimately lose himself to fight the war. Littlefinger's grasp on Sansa looks weaker than ever. She was authoritative and I think his little whispers about fighting every war always everywhere will work against him. Especially once Arya turns up next episode and Brienne becomes superpowered by the presence of all the Stark children she lives to protect. 

Sam is being set up to discover something massive. More time than Jorah's miraculous recovery demands has been spent on him this season. So the payoff will be huge, but I liked that scene.

And Jon and Dany... there was palpable relationship development. I like how he's keeping his death secret. I like that she picked up on the stabbed in the heart comment. That will be big for her later on. I like that they have tension to work through but through Tyrion's diplomacy they started to have some dialogue. I think it's they continue to be smart with moments such as Jon saying "I'm not a Stark" being punctuated by a Targaryen dragon swooping through, and with Jon having to realise that his reality is literally myth to everyone else. He's been so far removed from the rest of GoT that if he suddenly came along talking about White Walkers and everyone believed him it would ruin the excellent tension they'e building for the audience - we know time is running out. Jon knows time is running out and now, with her allies being crushed, it is for Dany too. 

Davos' introduction too. Great stuff. 

• Like 2

Khaleesi.

I spent a few days getting all caught up and I'm so glad I did. This show is getting better and better :D

• Like 1

Jaymee!!

Holy. Fucking. Shit. One of the few episodes that we watched in near-absolute silence for the entire episode.

Spoiler

For some reason, I don't think Olenna is actually dead. Part of me hopes that she'll like throw up the poison or be immune to it in some way. What a fucking thug life badass mofo, so above everyone else in the relm of savageness.

Adorkable
44 minutes ago, Jaymee!! said:

Holy. Fucking. Shit. One of the few episodes that we watched in near-absolute silence for the entire episode.

Reveal hidden contents

For some reason, I don't think Olenna is actually dead. Part of me hopes that she'll like throw up the poison or be immune to it in some way. What a fucking thug life badass mofo, so above everyone else in the relm of savageness.

Spoiler

I loved the one final act of defiance. Tell Cersei it was me. 

Trotsky

So the next episode leaked early and I certainly viewed it because I have no impulse control. Don't click on the spoiler until you've watched it either by downloading the leak or watching Sunday night, spoilers for episode 4 follow. 

That fucking battle scene. Actual, prolonged battle scenes are rare. We got to see Blackwater, the siege of Castle Black, and the battle of the bastards. This scene doesn't take up the whole episode but it's a good 15 minutes. The leak is unfortunately in shitty quality but I can tell that in full HD this battle scene is a fucking visual orgasm.

Arya and Brienne sparring was cool as fuck, I love how Bran continues to be unintentionally creepy, and I think it's very obvious now that Bran knows Littlefinger betrayed Ned and Sansa may be ordering Brienne to cut him in half by the end of this season.

Comrade
2 hours ago, Trotsky said:

So the next episode leaked early and I certainly viewed it because I have no impulse control. Don't click on the spoiler until you've watched it either by downloading the leak or watching Sunday night, spoilers for episode 4 follow. 

Reveal hidden contents

That fucking battle scene. Actual, prolonged battle scenes are rare. We got to see Blackwater, the siege of Castle Black, and the battle of the bastards. This scene doesn't take up the whole episode but it's a good 15 minutes. The leak is unfortunately in shitty quality but I can tell that in full HD this battle scene is a fucking visual orgasm.

Arya and Brienne sparring was cool as fuck, I love how Bran continues to be unintentionally creepy, and I think it's very obvious now that Bran knows Littlefinger betrayed Ned and Sansa may be ordering Brienne to cut him in half by the end of this season.

Just watched it. Damn, son. 

Spoiler

The whole fucking episode, man. They nailed every beat. Authentic, hard hitting emotion and character in the Stark thread; Arya's return was handled wonderfully, and her scene with Briene was excellent. Depth to Bran's zoning out was vital and, actually a bit of a kick in the balls I thought - Bran is dead. I liked the added touch of Sansa seeming to understand (or try to) Bran's plight though. 

The weight of the greater peril and gradual alliance established in the Dany/Jon thread. The political context reaffirmed in the Cersei thread; I suppose the gold making King's Landing keeps things interesting. The raw power of the threat Dany poses in the battle scene; love that Drogon essentially shrugs off the bolt. And that she took Tyrion despite having cut him down earlier; shows how much he means to her. Many ticks. 

Jaymee!!

Omg stop I want to read those spoilers so bad but I also don't want to ruin the suspense of waiting until Monday when I've downloaded the episode :lol:

• Like 1

Jaymee!!

I read the spoilers I read them and I don't know if I regret it but holy moly I'm excited for Monday 

Brooklyn Baby

I'm a year behind everyone, so I just finished Season 6 and WOW. WHAT THE FUCK. I don't think I've ever been so thoroughly fucked up by a season finale of GOT. 

Jaymee!!

Omg Justin found a bar in our city that does showings of the episodes and it's so much better having everyone react at the same time 

Trotsky

There is an important detail in the most recent episode that I missed the first time, but

Randyl Tarly tells Jaime that the Iron's Bank gold is already in King's Landing. So even though Dany dealt a significant blow to the Lannister forces, the war is still on, Cersei will presumably hire mercenaries. But of course, Dany still has the Dothraki and her dragons. There is apparently nothing to stop her from relieving her Unsullied trapped in Casterly Rock now. I would say it's still in Dany's favor overall, especially considering that while the ballistae can presumably kill dragons, it is far from easy as Drogon's injury seems relatively minor. Bran had a vision of a dragon's shadow over King's Landing.  Whether Dany will actually burn it or not remains to be seen, his vision could indicate King's Landing surrendered to her or that she will attack in full force. We have to consider that in the same vision, snow is falling on the Iron Throne, which makes me think the roof of the red keep gets melted off.

Ritz

Holy fuck, that episode!! Wow.

• Like 1

fukingcounterstrike
10 hours ago, Trotsky said:

There is an important detail in the most recent episode that I missed the first time, but

Hide contents

Randyl Tarly tells Jaime that the Iron's Bank gold is already in King's Landing. So even though Dany dealt a significant blow to the Lannister forces, the war is still on, Cersei will presumably hire mercenaries. But of course, Dany still has the Dothraki and her dragons. There is apparently nothing to stop her from relieving her Unsullied trapped in Casterly Rock now. I would say it's still in Dany's favor overall, especially considering that while the ballistae can presumably kill dragons, it is far from easy as Drogon's injury seems relatively minor. Bran had a vision of a dragon's shadow over King's Landing.  Whether Dany will actually burn it or not remains to be seen, his vision could indicate King's Landing surrendered to her or that she will attack in full force. We have to consider that in the same vision, snow is falling on the Iron Throne, which makes me think the roof of the red keep gets melted off.

Spoiler

To your interpretation of the visions (didn't watch it, just taking a different approach) the shadows of a dragon (not plural) is representative of the house crest, so it's symbolic that a Targaryen proceeds over, or is of imminent "threat" to the area. Being open for interpretation  is necessary as fate is never a certain thing, fogged by obscure events and the decisions of those involved. As far as the snow goes, I feel you took it too literally. I interpret it as winter has arrived. As the discussion between John Snow and Daenerys, Snow's only concern was the imminent threat to humanity as a whole while the squabble for power only retracts from the more pressing concerns of humanities interests. Winter rolls in upon the thing in which has been the center piece of everyone's attention, diminishing it's value and conveying the insignificance in the struggle for something held in such illustrious vision, as it too is touched by winter.

• Like 3

Comrade

So just as I was processing Episode 5, Spain managed to leak Episode 6 and I caved and watched it. No shame, no regrets. 

Sarcasm
2 hours ago, Comrade said:

So just as I was processing Episode 5, Spain managed to leak Episode 6 and I caved and watched it. No shame, no regrets. 

it was even in great quality, I only noticed some flat-ness in the dialogue. 

Man. 

LEAKED EPISODE SPOILERS

So what pissed you off the most? I'm torn between Benjen-ex-machina, 1 fully loaded dragon and another one that disappeared, the fact that the walkers didn't end there and then and how uninteresting Arya's and Sansa's storyline has gotten. The intrigue, spying and not trusting eachother was fun, this, in my opinion, was just soap.

Comrade
6 minutes ago, Sarcasm said:

it was even in great quality, I only noticed some flat-ness in the dialogue. 

Man. 

LEAKED EPISODE SPOILERS

Hide contents

So what pissed you off the most? I'm torn between Benjen-ex-machina, 1 fully loaded dragon and another one that disappeared, the fact that the walkers didn't end there and then and how uninteresting Arya's and Sansa's storyline has gotten. The intrigue, spying and not trusting eachother was fun, this, in my opinion, was just soap.

Spoiler

Yeah. I mean...not pissed so much as...

I'm confused where Rhaegal disappeared to after Viserion was shot down. Did he go back to Dragonstone? That was odd. It's a VFX heavy episode to be fair, so maybe they ran out of budget, but it was jarring that one of the remaining dragons disappeared. 

I'm neither confused nor pissed that the Walkers weren't put down there. The Night King walking through the dragonfire and so easily putting one down was a not-so-subtle hint that they could breathe fire on him all they like, it won't touch him. His magic is too powerful for dragons or dragonfire. The dragons are the great weapon against mortals. The Night King is the great weapon against all life, dragons included. If they could rival him, he'd not be a convincing threat. This episode cemented and built the danger he personally, as a personification of death, represents. My theory is that the only way to kill him is to remove the dragonglass from his heart. Good luck getting that close. 

Benjen well...yeah. I mean. It was obvious because it was set up. What other role was Benjen to play after having dropped Bran off? It was a bit too convenient that he popped up exactly when he needed to. It would have been more interesting for him to have met the fellowship along the way, fought with them, and then given Jon the horse and sacrificed himself when Drogon took off under fire from the Night King. Could have given scope fr some nice emotional dialogue between the two. Wasted opportunity, imo. That's my big point of frustration with the episode. 

As for Arya and Sansa, I actually find it a highlight. It's subtle and being misinterpreted by a lot of people. Arya has spent the last three years learning to be no one, clinging on to the idea of Arya Stark. Now she's suddenly having to realise being Arya Stark around people who have a pre-existing idea of who she is (was). Added to that, she's a teenage girl. They have enough of an identity crisis without the No One shit. Her's and Sansa's first conversation of the episode essentially boiled down to Sansa saying "you have no idea what I've been through". Arya letting Sansa see the faces, telling her about the game of faces, telling her the power she has and giving her the knife - that is Arya bearing her absolute soul to Sansa. That's Arya saying "this is what I've been through". Arya is a deeply traumatised, damaged girl. That's what she showed Sansa. Did it freak Sansa out? Yes. Arya's journey has been truly freaky. But it was the resolution to, not the spilling over of conflict between the two. In all, this conflict makes more sense than them working together immediately; they never saw eye to eye, they've both been through ridiculous trauma. Happy families would have been a more ridiculous fantasy than the dragons, given the context. 

Loved - I mean loved - the dialogue between the fellowship. Especially Tormund and The Hound re: Brienne. In fact, Tormund was the most important character this episode. His line to Jon about Mance's pride costing lives - that, combined with Dany obviously coming to the rescue and losing a Dragon to save them, is what turns Jon to bending the knee. 

Viserion's death was the saddest and best portrayed since Hodor's, for me. The fire erupting from the wound, the pouring of blood where the spear went through his neck. Horrifying. 

And a moment for Emilia Clarke's acting this episode. She's not the strongest actress in the series. The earlier scene at Dragonstone was strong, but the one on the boat by Jon - she absolutely nailed portraying a mother's heartbreak and the realisation of falling in love, two complicated and difficult emotions to portray separately at the best of times, together. The subtlety of the look on her face when she sees Jon's scars from his death in particular. Excellent physical acting. 

Dai.

Holy shit you guys!!! Gonna try to watch it tonight.

• Like 1

Wretched & Divine

I watched episode six and I am a ruin because I honestly never expected that. Also I'm dreading having only one more episode before waiting a year again.

Spoiler

Do we have to wait that long for Jon and Bran to be reunited? Oh my god.

Edited by Sarcasm
spoilers

Sarcasm

oh man oh jeez

they won't even start filming season 8 until October 

gdpony

Fuck me. 

That was amazing, I couldn't ask for more! 

Now I cannot believe I have to wait two years for the next season. :cry: 

Comrade

Shit the bed. There has been a lot of 'best ever episode talk' this series, but for me that finale may actually be worthy of that title.  

fukingcounterstrike

I feel like not enough main characters are dying :dry: