CaesarSalad

Game of Thrones

CaesarSalad

anyone else been watching this? warning you now if you haven't: it's a fantasy setting, but not really focused too much on its fantasy-ness. errr short description from wikipedia:

Set in the Seven Kingdoms of Westeros, where "summers span decades and winters can last a lifetime," Game of Thrones chronicles the violent dynastic struggles among the kingdom's seven noble families for control of the Iron Throne; as the series opens, additional threats from the snow and ice covered region north of Westeros and from the eastern continent across a narrow sea are simultaneously beginning to rise

k, so i loved the books and so far the show (just passed episode four on sunday) is staying right close to the book's plot, which naturally means i'm loving the show. it's on HBO so naturally there's a boobie quota to fill every episode, but the books ain't exactly chaste little things either.

eddard-stark-hbo-sean-bean-game-of-thrones1.png

also, it's got sean bean.

lizziebix

Hubby loves this show. We'll be catching up on ep 4 tonight. I'm not that into these kinds of fantasy flicks, mostly because of the killings, but the scenary in this one is beautiful.

Kayfabe

OHHHHH

Yeah it's been advertised on the telly but we've not got Sky Atlantic

CaesarSalad

Hubby loves this show. We'll be catching up on ep 4 tonight. I'm not that into these kinds of fantasy flicks, mostly because of the killings, but the scenary in this one is beautiful.

haaaaa, well, the killing won't get any better. actually, it's only going to get worse. i read a few reviews after the second episode where there was outrage! over the death of a certain very fuzzy and very minor character, and it made me wonder what the reactions will be like later on.

but i do agree about the scenery. king's landing looks faaantastic and the wall sent a few shivers up my spine when they first showed the actual thing. i shudder to think of what kind of budget this thing runs.

OHHHHH

Yeah it's been advertised on the telly but we've not got Sky Atlantic

you do, however, have the internet :ninja:

lizziebix

So after seeing ep 4, hubby is predicting...

that the new/pudgy guy in the Night's Watch will be killed in the night.

No idea why he thinks that way though.

Also, Peter Dinklage as Tyrion Lannister (the dwarf) has some of the best lines. Loving his character and his character's attitude. Shame...

someone is setting him up!

Hubby also said that everything that is happening is pretty predictable but that he is still enjoying seeing how it's unfolding.

The scene with the mountains in the background (looked like a triangle)...do you think that's a real place or CGI? Whichever, it was breaktaking!

CaesarSalad

i don't even want to respond for fear of spoiling anything :P so i won't elaborate much.

tyrion is tied for first for my favourite character, tv and book. the show is also doing a great job with viserys and daenarys (i think he's a bit too unbelievable and i think she's a bit too dull in the books). and bran. he's so cute. and his scene with tyrion was just wonderful.

lizziebix

Are the books really that good? Since I'm not that into fantasy, would you still recommend them? I wondering if I'd enjoy the series more having read the books.

CaesarSalad

hmm. hard to say, really. the usual fantasy elements are really played down, and the whole thing is more about political and personal conflict in a fantasy setting. the characters are some of the best i've ever seen and the plotlines are positively mindboggling. however, the books are chock full of murder, mutilation, rape and pillage, almost in excess. it's not a happy story and grrm puts his characters through hell.

that said, the show is doing a terrific job of staying true to the books, with certain bits changed slightly to keep up the drama (e.g. daenarys' wedding night with the khal was consensual in the books). you could easily get away with just watching the show.

what do you think of the opening credits? i thought that was such a cute way of giving the viewer a sense of location and scale.

lizziebix

I love the opening credits. I love the scenery. I'm loving certain story lines and some not so much. Dan makes me turn away at the really gory parts (like the death in the ep 4 tournament) so I'm guessing from your book review I should stick to the series!

CaesarSalad

yeaah that was gory. it had me squirming and cringing. and then i replayed it because i wanted to see if i could watch it all without cringing :lol: didn't happen.

another part i rewatched many times:

tumblr_lhkukxvlma1qa1fuxo1_r4_250.gif

Armageddon Flame.

OH GOD WHY DID I WATCH THIS WITH MY PARENTS

I find it really interesting, although a bit confusing with all the many different plot lines, and sometimes a bit too gory(Does not like seeing horses decapitated :cry: )

Tyrian is such a bamf :lol:

CaesarSalad

the mountain is a complete beast. loras tyrell <3 = already better than the book. arya is so gr8. jaime is just so bad-ass. the eyrie is AMAZING. let me repeat that: AMAZING. lysa is a nutcase. tyrion + bronn = OTP.

so episode five is the best one yet. things are going to start getting cahrayzay. cannot. wait. for the next one.

OH GOD WHY DID I WATCH THIS WITH MY PARENTS

:pinch: oh yeah. full-frontal nudity, two for the price of one.

lizziebix

Hubby and I just sat there staring at the TV after the ending of the last ep. HOLY SHIT did not see that coming.

In my mind, the only true and honest character is now gone.

Think I'm pretty upset and pissed at this development.

CaesarSalad

In my mind, the only true and honest character is now gone.

Think I'm pretty upset and pissed at this development.

that's the point :P there's a quote in the third book, i think, referring to dany's dead older brother (not viserys. rhaegar) that pretty much sums up GoT:

"rhaegar fought valiantly, rhaegar fought nobly, rhaegar fought bravely. and rhaegar died.

also, i'm ready to declare my complete infatuation for robb stark. oh hai hunneh nice battlez u winnin.

Kayfabe

I finished watching this first series but I haven't got the books. It's very good I think. And they all have wonderful names.

CaesarSalad

I finished watching this first series but I haven't got the books. It's very good I think. And they all have wonderful names.

are you planning on reading the books? because i wouldn't suggest starting at book 2. start at the first. the show was pretty faithful, but they still had to cut out a ton of things.

Kayfabe

are you planning on reading the books? because i wouldn't suggest starting at book 2. start at the first. the show was pretty faithful, but they still had to cut out a ton of things.

I was thinking about it, then I was like 'but time?!' cause school starts in a week and everything. Are they particularly chunky? And who's it by anyway, I guess I'll keep a lookout at the library

CaesarSalad

ooooh yeah. definitely chunky. a game of thrones is the smallest of the bunch at around 700 pages and the biggest (book 3) is around 1000. they're by george r. r. martin.

i read them towards the end of the school term last year :lol: not a good idea. i probably could have gotten a bit more studying done had i not been reading and raging.

Kayfabe

a thousand pages?! *eye twitch*

nawww. I've got a nine day holiday late october, it can wait till then. I still have the series very fresh in my brain though. Very shocking and controversial and whatnot. But above all, the last part of the last episode was just a crowning moment of BAMF. Just wow.

B.Blackstar

Fantastic series. I cam't wait for the second season!

But yeah, if you're intolerant to gory images I wouldn't recomend you to watch it, that and the massive amount of sex scenes. But besides that, the series is great, it has almost no flaws. :)

Kayfabe

ooooh yeah. definitely chunky. a game of thrones is the smallest of the bunch at around 700 pages and the biggest (book 3) is around 1000. they're by george r. r. martin.

i read them towards the end of the school term last year :lol: not a good idea. i probably could have gotten a bit more studying done had i not been reading and raging.

BY THE WAY

A random kid appears towards the end of the series, he's around Brandon's age and he was going around with the wolf. Who was that?!

CaesarSalad

A random kid appears towards the end of the series, he's around Brandon's age and he was going around with the wolf. Who was that?!

of the show? :mellow: i'm pulling an absolute blank here.

OH WAIT. fucking lol. that's rickon! the baby stark.

Kayfabe

WHEN DID HE APPEAR?!

CaesarSalad

he's actually in the first episode at the veerrry beginning when bran is practicing archery. but yeah. he's not very present in the books either, mostly because he's three years old and a bit of a brat.

Yussef

I'm on episode two.

I ENJOY IT.

• Like 1