Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Cars and Driving

• Please log in to reply
675 replies to this topic

Stacie Anne

Stacie Anne
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,122 posts
  • Joined Jun 21, 2006
  • 6,915 rep

I keep forgetting you don't know me that well :lol: Yeah, born and raised. Lived all over though, so now my accent's mostly gone. Except for when I drink.

damn, i always thought you were American (don't kill me). but YAY fellow Brit :P

captain peroxide

captain peroxide
  • Unbowed. Unbent. Unbroken.

• 15,770 posts
  • Joined Feb 20, 2007
  • 6,397 rep

damn, i always thought you were American (don't kill me). but YAY fellow Brit :P

Well, don't feel too bad, technically you're half right :lol: I'm a mutt, my dad's from New York, my mum was the English one. And they met in Scotland, I don't even. But yeah, I was born in England, and lived there until I was 10. Then we started country-hopping.

Khaleesi.

Khaleesi.
  • #sneakyoutlaw

• 19,157 posts
  • Joined Jul 31, 2005
  • 3,633 rep

i love my fiesta <3333

Stacie Anne

Stacie Anne
  • 12,122 posts
  • Joined Jun 21, 2006
  • 6,915 rep

Well, don't feel too bad, technically you're half right :lol: I'm a mutt, my dad's from New York, my mum was the English one. And they met in Scotland, I don't even. But yeah, I was born in England, and lived there until I was 10. Then we started country-hopping.

that's a pretty cool way to live though, i'd have loved that :happy: do you come back often?

captain peroxide

captain peroxide
  • Unbowed. Unbent. Unbroken.

• 15,770 posts
  • Joined Feb 20, 2007
  • 6,397 rep

that's a pretty cool way to live though, i'd have loved that :happy: do you come back often?

Not as often as I'd like. I was back last autumn for a wedding, but I probably won't make it back again until next summer.

lizziebix

lizziebix
  • I used to make great reservations!

• 21,976 posts
  • Joined Sep 15, 2009
  • 5,950 rep

My dad sold Ford's for a living and when I wanted to buy my first car he actually tried to get me one shipped (and presumably made) in Europe.  Much better car he told me.  Didn't happen but that's how I remember that they were so much better made there than here.

Backyard Skulls

Backyard Skulls
  • Dominated Love Slave

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,210 posts
  • Joined Apr 30, 2009
  • 1,031 rep
Has anyone ever done an intesive driving course before? I just want to do it quickly and pass my test instead of drawing it out again. I've only got til November before my theory runs out.
I'm changing instructors too, my current one while lovely just drew everything out :u

­­rootbeersoup

­­rootbeersoup
  • Only Dreams Now

• 13,910 posts
  • Joined Oct 02, 2006
  • 1,779 rep

Have to replace flat running tires on the Mini at a cost of $289 + tax EACH. Mini's are fun to drive but expensive to own when something goes wrong. :(

This was why I got rid of my 350z. Tires were about $250 each and it was only getting 15 mpg on premium.

I'd really really like to just not have a car and just take the street car everywhere.

Stacie Anne

Stacie Anne
  • 12,122 posts
  • Joined Jun 21, 2006
  • 6,915 rep

This was why I got rid of my 350z. Tires were about $250 each and it was only getting 15 mpg on premium.I'd really really like to just not have a car and just take the street car everywhere.

15mpg?! jeez, I got pissed when I worked mine out to be 30 :lol:

­­rootbeersoup

­­rootbeersoup
  • Only Dreams Now

• 13,910 posts
  • Joined Oct 02, 2006
  • 1,779 rep

15mpg?! jeez, I got pissed when I worked mine out to be 30 :lol:

The car is supposed to get 17 city/23 highway but cars have a tendency to lose fuel efficiency as they get older. I was also doing 95% city driving which never helps. It's just pointless for me to have a car with a 3.5L V6.

Although it's interesting because the 370z has a bigger engine (3.7L), produces more horsepower and torque, and does 19/26 mpg. I don't get it.

Stacie Anne

Stacie Anne
  • 12,122 posts
  • Joined Jun 21, 2006
  • 6,915 rep

The car is supposed to get 17 city/23 highway but cars have a tendency to lose fuel efficiency as they get older. I was also doing 95% city driving which never helps. It's just pointless for me to have a car with a 3.5L V6.

Although it's interesting because the 370z has a bigger engine (3.7L), produces more horsepower and torque, and does 19/26 mpg. I don't get it.

damn, i couldn't imagine owning something like that for city driving. it'd be worth it if you lived out in the countryside and everything was a decent drive away but otherwise, yeah, just not worth the money. i'm waiting for the day i turbo my 5, the fuel efficiency will go to shit, i'm going to get a second every day car & just have my 5 as my weekend 'fun' car. 

­­rootbeersoup

­­rootbeersoup
  • Only Dreams Now

• 13,910 posts
  • Joined Oct 02, 2006
  • 1,779 rep

damn, i couldn't imagine owning something like that for city driving. it'd be worth it if you lived out in the countryside and everything was a decent drive away but otherwise, yeah, just not worth the money. i'm waiting for the day i turbo my 5, the fuel efficiency will go to shit, i'm going to get a second every day car & just have my 5 as my weekend 'fun' car.

Yeah that's what I was telling myself. I'd have kept the car is we lived somewhere with nice roads, but all we have is one way streets and pot holes and shit. It was nothing but a status symbol and wasn't worth all the extra money, although I loved that car and really miss it.

A turbo shouldn't hurt your fuel economy too much. That's kinda the advantage of a turbo versus a larger naturally-aspirated engine for a sports car. I'm not really that familiar with turbos though being American and all lol

lizziebix

lizziebix
  • I used to make great reservations!

• 21,976 posts
  • Joined Sep 15, 2009
  • 5,950 rep
I only do city driving - about 9 miles a day - and am still getting about 27 miles to the gallon on a 7 year old car. Granted I don't have quite 28k miles on it yet and I take pretty good care of it. The tires have been my biggest expense since our city roads have dozens of pot holes on every block.

Personally, as a girl, I'd never live without a car. Sure I use public transportation to/from work every day also, but having a car means I don't have to rely on anyone else to get me where I need to go or help me do what I need to do. Have always felt this way and that's why I've had my own car since I started working in my early 20's.

Stacie Anne

Stacie Anne
  • 12,122 posts
  • Joined Jun 21, 2006
  • 6,915 rep

my work place is 35 minutes of motorway driving away, and with an old sports car it isn't exactly economical, but it does the job. no way could i live without a car. my cars been off the road for a week so i borrowed my brothers (same car but modified) for 2 weeks, cost me £75 just to insure it.. fucking ridiculous but i literally can't go without. it sucks.

Stacie Anne

Stacie Anne
  • 12,122 posts
  • Joined Jun 21, 2006
  • 6,915 rep

so my car is off the road, again. 3 times in a month. first due to the handbrake/welding, then the spark plugs/ht leads, now the coil pack. i'm meant to be diving to Glasgow this Friday so i'm attempting to bribe the mechanic to get it done priority, he says it should be done by tomorrow which is good, but it might not. BAH. but all in all, this month alone, i'm totally over £1100 spent on my car just to get & keep it on the road. 

my wallet is crying, my bank is judging me, my pockets have holes. but that car is laughing at me, thinking 'what a sucker'. :mad:

Advertising

Lindsay

Lindsay
  • Tittysprinkles

• 5,854 posts
  • Joined Mar 08, 2010
  • 3,900 rep

Something weird happened to my car yesterday. I was sitting in it during my break and had everything on except the engine, and then randomly it just shut off on me. When I tried to turn it back on, it made a funny noise, so I left it for about 5 mins. Tried again, it turned on and all seemed to be fine. I assumed the battery was just dying and I had to bring it in for servicing today anyways, so I brought it up to them and they checked the battery, but there seemed to be nothing wrong with it? I'm just not sure why it would have done that then, it's weird, just hope it doesn't happen again... 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users