Doris The Spider

Cars and Driving

Laura!

I got into my first big city accident this week.  I was waiting to turn right at a light, the guy behind me thought I was going, wasn't paying attention and rear ended me.  Luckily he was only going 10 mph and there's no damage.  I've been paranoid that something is wrong all week because I have the worst luck with cars. :lol:

Mar
10 hours ago, Laura! said:

I got into my first big city accident this week.  I was waiting to turn right at a light, the guy behind me thought I was going, wasn't paying attention and rear ended me.  Luckily he was only going 10 mph and there's no damage.  I've been paranoid that something is wrong all week because I have the worst luck with cars. :lol:

Yep, my parents know nothing about this :lol: 

No but really, glad everything seems to be OK!

Edited by Mar
Wait, did I ever tell you that story with the Saturn on move-out day?!

emmericanidiot

My driving test is booked so I guess this is actually happening now :ermm: it’s 2 months away and I’m already having stress dreams about it

• Like 2

Melodramfool

I didn't get my driving licence when I was 18 (You have to be 18 years old for B1 in Italy) 'cause I had epilepsy. 
I always being bullied because I didn't have it, because everyone has it, because "if you don't get your licence when you were 18, you won't get it anymore" blablabla
Last month I passed the theory exam and I started driving last week with the driver Instructor 
So yeah 

Edited by Melodramfool
  • Like 1

lizziebix

My car refused to start this morning.  :(  Luckily hubby was home and could drive me to work.  :)  However, my mechanic is overwhelmed with work at the moment and won't be able to come tow my car until late(r) this week.  :(  

emmericanidiot
On 03/11/2017 at 12:00 PM, emmericanidiot said:

My driving test is booked so I guess this is actually happening now :ermm: it’s 2 months away and I’m already having stress dreams about it

Update: passed

also, first ‘accident’ yesterday, but the person who hit me is claiming I did major damage to her car when there’s no evidence (posted about this in the angry thread so I won’t repeat myself), has anyone ever had any experience with people lying about accidents?

Laura!

I don’t think I’ll ever get used to driving on I-285 (the major highway going around Atlanta). I just had to drive on it for 10 miles and am not looking forward to doing the same on the way home.

AlissaGoesRAWR

Popped my third tire in less than two years.  Though this time instead of driving over a nail, it was because I hit the metal part of a sewer grate at a weird angle while parking my car. I’ll know the cost of the damages tomorrow. 

Man, I’m sick of buying tires. :( 

Laura!
11 minutes ago, AlissaGoesRAWR said:

Popped my third tire in less than two years.  Though this time instead of driving over a nail, it was because I hit the metal part of a sewer grate at a weird angle while parking my car. I’ll know the cost of the damages tomorrow. 

Man, I’m sick of buying tires. :( 

Oh no! I’ve popped/flattened tires multiple times. I’m so worried about everything I run over now!

Hopefully they are able to patch it!

AlissaGoesRAWR
20 minutes ago, Laura! said:

Oh no! I’ve popped/flattened tires multiple times. I’m so worried about everything I run over now!

Hopefully they are able to patch it!

I’m not sure if they can because I can’t see where it’s popped. It’s the weirdest thing because I figured I’d be able to see a slash in the sidewall, but there’s nothing, and it didn’t completely deflate when my friend removed it to put the spare one on so I could drive it to the shop. (He was a lifesaver!)

They won’t be able to get to it till tomorrow afternoon so I’ll know then. In the meantime, I have to drive Brandon’s car to work. He’s thrilled. :lol: 

Moriarty

so a few weeks ago i crashed my car of 7 years and killed it for good. it could've been saved but it would've been like £1000 and it just wasn't worth it. so charles died. a really weird one too, nobody else involved, and just slipped on a slightly wet corner while not speeding. police couldn't even work out why it'd happened and didn't even breathalyse me, just let me get it scooped off the road (as it was on a city ring road).

6MnE2Pj.jpg

so after a few weeks of car hunting i managed to find the new whip. say hello to dusty, my 2012 silver fiesta. feels so weird to be permanently driving something different but nice to have something smooth and stable after all the little problems that charles was developing!

Uf3ZJBP.jpg

• Like 2

lizziebix

Congrats @Moriarty on the new car and congrats on not being hurt in the accident.

• Like 1

Fuzz

@Moriarty Shitty way to have to get a new car, but a new car none-the-less. Congrats! 

• Thanks 1

lizziebix

My poor 2007 mini has been having major issues.  Last week I took her to the dealer (instead of my personal mechanic) and they found so many issues.  Some easier, and not too expensive, to fix.  Some expensive and hard to fix but I could go on driving her without fixing.  One of the major issues was an oil leak making the engine light come on and off and the interior of the car smelling like burning oil.  But by just keeping the oil topped off she worked fine.  But they said they were able to make an adjustment to the engine light and it wouldn't (shouldn't) come on for the oil leak again.  Until 24 hours after bringing her home it came on again. 

So because of the holiday I had to wait until this morning to bring her back to the dealer for the tech to check her out again. Well that didn't go very well and they found a belt that needed to be replaced that would cost and arm and both my legs.  :(   And no guarantee that this would really be the end of the issues of this pretty old car.

tbh, I've been very worried about driving her; even just my 4 miles to/from work.  I haven't felt safe or that she was a reliable ride anymore.

Sooooooooooooo - instead of fixing her and continuing to worry - I BOUGHT A NEW 2019 MINI COOPER - right off the showroom floor.  OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I really can't believe I bought a new car today.

I feel so grown up.  She's got all the new whiz bang possible and we got a really really good deal.  I mean really really!

Happy 2019 to me.    :)

• Like 4

duckez

I'm almost old enough to drive so I have the book about driving that I've been reading. I don't get this one part though. Yellow lines mean that cars in both lanes are driving opposite directions. White lines mean both lanes are the same direction. One part in the book says that Broken yellow lines mean that you can pass to the lane beside you. How can you do that when the cars are going in opposite directions? You'd just crash. Even if you went right back to the other lane quickly, a car could come and crash into you right away. This might seem dumb but I haven't driven in my life so if anyone can help me figure this out I would be very glad. I looked a bunch of places and nowhere answers this. I know that the rules of driving are different in different places, but maybe I'm just not understanding the true meaning of "pass" even though it seems obvious 

Mar
2 hours ago, duckez said:

I'm almost old enough to drive so I have the book about driving that I've been reading. I don't get this one part though. Yellow lines mean that cars in both lanes are driving opposite directions. White lines mean both lanes are the same direction. One part in the book says that Broken yellow lines mean that you can pass to the lane beside you. How can you do that when the cars are going in opposite directions? You'd just crash. Even if you went right back to the other lane quickly, a car could come and crash into you right away. This might seem dumb but I haven't driven in my life so if anyone can help me figure this out I would be very glad. I looked a bunch of places and nowhere answers this. I know that the rules of driving are different in different places, but maybe I'm just not understanding the true meaning of "pass" even though it seems obvious 

You explained it exactly right. In the U.S. at least, we have signs that say "Pass with Care" because the expectation is that you are looking ahead of you to see if there is oncoming traffic in the lane on the left, and that if the vehicle you're trying to pass is so large that you can't appropriately see ahead of you, you shouldn't pass. Additionally, many roads will have a solid yellow line on one side, followed by broken yellow lines on the other. This means, for example, that if there's a solid line on the northbound side, cars going northbound cannot pass, while cars going southbound can come into the northbound lanes to pass (and it usually switches back and forth on the road every once in a while).

• Thanks 1

Emilie
4 hours ago, duckez said:

we have the same rule in Australia so I guess the practical application would be similar. I do this mostly when a bus or larger vehicle has pulled over but is still somewhat in my lane. So to get around them you need to move over into the opposite lane a bit. You only do so when safe, so when there is no traffic and you have clear view ahead to see that there are no cars approaching. I also do it when cyclists are riding next to my lane because we have to give them a certain amount of space.

• Thanks 1

duckez
10 hours ago, Mar said:

You explained it exactly right. In the U.S. at least, we have signs that say "Pass with Care" because the expectation is that you are looking ahead of you to see if there is oncoming traffic in the lane on the left, and that if the vehicle you're trying to pass is so large that you can't appropriately see ahead of you, you shouldn't pass. Additionally, many roads will have a solid yellow line on one side, followed by broken yellow lines on the other. This means, for example, that if there's a solid line on the northbound side, cars going northbound cannot pass, while cars going southbound can come into the northbound lanes to pass (and it usually switches back and forth on the road every once in a while).

8 hours ago, Emilie said:

we have the same rule in Australia so I guess the practical application would be similar. I do this mostly when a bus or larger vehicle has pulled over but is still somewhat in my lane. So to get around them you need to move over into the opposite lane a bit. You only do so when safe, so when there is no traffic and you have clear view ahead to see that there are no cars approaching. I also do it when cyclists are riding next to my lane because we have to give them a certain amount of space.

Thanks!!!

• Like 1

AlissaGoesRAWR

Someone rear-ended my car today. :)

Minor damage, but frustrating nonetheless as I'll be out of town the next week and can't really take care of anything until I get back. I know it's hypocritical for me to be mad, since I've done this to people myself, but I really just don't feel like dealing with this right now. I also feel kind of bad asking her to pay for it since it's just aesthetic and some people have cut me a break before... but I do plan on driving this car for several more years, at least until I get my college loans paid off, and I want it to stay as nice as possible. The scuffs are pretty deep in the paint.

On a positive note though, last Friday was officially the day I have a clean driving record with the state again! For the first time since I was probably 16. I've been really trying to improve my driving record and it's finally happened! All I have left on my record with my insurance company is a crash, but that won't drop off for two more years since they stay on your record for five. So that's the next goal! I'm hoping my costs will go down considerably when I renew my plan in June.

Tre's Busted Drumkit

My new car, purchased a few weeks back:

DbYNlLY.jpg

2018 Mazda3 GT hatchback. Mrs. Busted Drumkit didn't want to be stuck with her Hyundai and I wasn't a huge fan of my Forester, so she got my Forester and we traded in the Hyundai and bought me this. It's got surprisingly good acceleration for having a mediocre 185-hp 2.5L four-cylinder engine (compared to my old Forester's 250 hp screamin' demon), and it handles really, really well. I wanted something smaller and lighter, and I ended up with something with very similar dimensions and weight to my old Danger Cart, a little bit beefier engine to go with it, and a FWD that's more fun to play with at the expense of not being able to take it literally anywhere that there's a surface I can drive across. But, I mean, there aren't many tornadoes to chase in Florida, and there aren't many ice storms that make AWD and all-season tires a must, so...yeah. Considering that I paid as much for the highest-end Mazda3 trim as a mid-tier Impreza would have cost, I'll take it.

Mar

59717593_10213674089113106_3552714840361

59655340_10213674089033104_7771910469354

60072849_10213674088833099_2596911151862

Well, at least they didn't run from the scene, right? Nope, they just totaled it.Parked position in front of my house, she was hit so hard (on a 25 mph street) that his airbag went off and pushed her 90 degrees (east-facing to north-facing) I have no idea what I'm going to do. This car was my last connection to my grandma (it was hers until she died). It was the only good thing in my life -- that I could drive to work, that I could get places. And now I don't have that, I will have no way to pay for another one. 

Jrem

Passed drivers training and got my permit back when I was 17 but 2 whole years passed by and I let my permit expire without ever attempting to drive. I never had the motivation for it and got around by walking or using the bus.

Then finally when I was 19 I got some driving lessons from a coworker and got inspired to take the wheel. I was driving my moms car around with her in the passenger seat to and from work.

Then I ended up getting a new job that was close enough to home to where I could walk and I was working all the time. I didn't find myself driving as much as before and was starting to get rusty. I was also in a friends car at one point and he got into a car accident which got my nervous about my own driving inexperience.

Then one day I went with my mom to pick up my sister somewhere and I had to drive on the highway for the first time. I was extremely nervous driving at the high speeds in such narrow lanes with semi trucks surrounding me and I got scared and got off at an exit and had my mom take the wheel.

After that I didn't drive again for several months and my permit expired once again. But now I'm finally back into it once again. I'm at a new job thats about a 15 minute drive away and I got my permit renewed last month and I've been driving to and from work once again but this time I've been taking the highway there and back. I'm finally feeling more and more confident. I've also gotten the chance to take the car on my own a couple times.

I'm also finally saving a good amount of money and within the next couple months I'll be able to get myself a decent used car so all I gotta do now is practice parking and reversing more and then I believe I'll be able to schedule and pass my drivers test once and for all which will open up a whole new world of opportunities for me.

AlissaGoesRAWR

My air conditioning is out in my car. It'll be $1,400 to fix it and it's getting into the peak of summer, so I don't know realistically how long I can go without it. I'm going to put it off as long as I can because I just ran over my fourth nail in 3 years and therefore need at least two new tires this week (but likely all four replaced since they're all getting up there in age and would have needed replacing soon anyway). So about $400. And I also need new brakes before winter, so another $300 or so... and yeah. This is awful.

I guess it's only fitting that this month is my last car payment on the piece of shit. :lol:

I don't want to get a new car until I absolutely have to because car payments suck, and I was planning on using that extra money toward making a huge dent in my my student loans, so I still think it makes financial sense to fix the necessities in this car and run it until it dies. But I guess I'm conflicted on whether air conditioning is a necessity in Ohio and whether it's worth it in a 9-year-old car. I would hate to pump $1,400 into it and then have the car die soon after, but I feel like it's got life left in it. It's only at 97,000 miles. It feels like a bit of a gamble but I'll probably break down and do it once July hits and it's 100+ degrees outside and I'm driving to work assignments and sweating.

Laura!
19 minutes ago, AlissaGoesRAWR said:

My air conditioning is out in my car. It'll be $1,400 to fix it and it's getting into the peak of summer, so I don't know realistically how long I can go without it. I'm going to put it off as long as I can because I just ran over my fourth nail in 3 years and therefore need at least two new tires this week (but likely all four replaced since they're all getting up there in age and would have needed replacing soon anyway). So about $400. And I also need new brakes before winter, so another $300 or so... and yeah. This is awful.

I guess it's only fitting that this month is my last car payment on the piece of shit. :lol:

I don't want to get a new car until I absolutely have to because car payments suck, and I was planning on using that extra money toward making a huge dent in my my student loans, so I still think it makes financial sense to fix the necessities in this car and run it until it dies. But I guess I'm conflicted on whether air conditioning is a necessity in Ohio and whether it's worth it in a 9-year-old car. I would hate to pump $1,400 into it and then have the car die soon after, but I feel like it's got life left in it. It's only at 97,000 miles. It feels like a bit of a gamble but I'll probably break down and do it once July hits and it's 100+ degrees outside and I'm driving to work assignments and sweating.

$1,400 just to fix the AC?! That seems so expensive. 

monkeyupinspace
Posted (edited)
On 11/7/2017 at 11:40 AM, Melodramfool said:

I didn't get my driving licence when I was 18 (You have to be 18 years old for B1 in Italy) 'cause I had epilepsy. 
I always being bullied because I didn't have it, because everyone has it, because "if you don't get your licence when you were 18, you won't get it anymore" blablabla
Last month I passed the theory exam and I started driving last week with the driver Instructor 
So yeah 

very late on that reply but fellow epileptic here 🙋‍♂️. hopefully you passed the practical test in the meantime 😅

"luckily" my epilepsy came back after i got my license back in 2014. had it as a little child before i went to primary school. now medicated and seizure-free for 5 years.

Edited by monkeyupinspace