Billie Joe Armstrong Equipment

deleteduser6293

I just listened to Tune In Tokyo and saw on the cover that Billie was using an SG, i kinda forgot that he used SGs a bunch during the Warning era, I wonder why he stopped

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a couple of questions if any one can share some wisdom :D

1) When did Billie first start using the wireless amp technology ?

2) How much db does the amp output at a show is it like 110db ?

• 1 month later...
On 10/7/2017 at 6:12 AM, AimieeSmith said:

uhh i think around 97? he started using wireless all shows ive seen before that he has had wires,but i may be wrong

On 10/7/2017 at 6:12 AM, AimieeSmith said:

He started using them for the Nimrod Tour when he had to go from E to Eb. 

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know which guitar was used for the acoustic part in Wake Me Up When September Ends? In this video after around 12:30 you can see him play both what I think is the Gibson SJ-200 and another guitar which I don't know what it is:

On Equipboard one guy said it was the SJ-200 that he used, but I think it's the other, because Rob then says ''take the bright one'', whereby he probably means the second guitar.

I don't know, can anyone help me out?

And then also, does anyone any cheaper alternatives to that guitar that sound similar? (be it Epiphone or some other brand). Should be at around or below 400-500 dollars.

• 1 year later...

Gosh! I had some troubles with my mail. I compiled a sort of ''help'' thing here on the forum to deactivate this profile to, hopefully, create another one with the same e-mail. I didn't get replies but no problems 'cause, lucky, I got my main mail access back. Thanks Microsoft! 

Oh my, I remember opening this thread back in 2011 when my english was freaky, nervous AKA bad. Today's one not that great, btw. I was reading reviews on Billie Joe's Dookie pedal and found out these posts again. I didn't know there were anymore recent replies...

So I've heard about that Dunlop pedal and started thinking about the good old days. I can't say how many times you had to spend on the net to find useless informations and put 'em all together and, now... they made a pedal, haha...

I talked about it with one of my guitar teachers. Met him on the train. I spent years on Green Day guitars, as well as CDs and, despite it's sad 'cause I stopped, I will forever have a sweet memory of it deep in my heart.

So, stories apart, I was reading on this guitars gear forum and people were discussing the Dookie pedal. Dunlop claims that their blend knob is to replicate that tone Billie Joe used for the record. But I guess we all know that, to be true, he only used 1 plexi, gave to him by Rob Cavallo. Then Billie Joe loved it and Rob made  a copy for him: that ''PETE'' we all know about. Another controversial thing was on the fact that the pedal has actually too many knobs. I mean, ok, it's a pedal to simulate Billie Joe 2 modded amps mix. So the blend knob has a sense. As well as the output. But I felt pretty weird about ''TONE'' and ''GAIN'' knobs. If you make a pedal to replicate a specific driven tone, with its specific ''tone'', why add knobs to modify it? Even the scoop button looks more like a marketing stuff to make the pedal appealing even to non-Green Day fans. I can't try it out, but I'm assuming that, a Green Day fan should only take care of 2 knobs when you pay for more than 2.

That said, now it's me asking you for help. I've stopped researches and stuff many and many years ago. But I still have some doubts. Billie Joe used  a JCM 900 on early Dookie shows. Then continued with ''PETE'', the Rob modded one. For Insomniac, he had ''MEAT'', a similiar modded plexi but with a darker and more aggressive tone. My question is about live shows. Since then, he always had on stage those 2 heads. Even nowadays. Does he used them together? According to that Premier Guitar videos, he has 2 clean sounds coming from a pre-amp. A clean one and a mid-range one for ''American Idiot'' intro. Then he has this ''BIG'' one switching into Marshall. And a ''BIG EFFECT'' turning the BOSS BD for solos. Actually, when the ''BIG'' one is one, it means both heads or a single one depending on the songs? I still remember that great Australia show from the Warning tour. Goat Island, or something. If I'm not wrong, he only used cleans for ''Minority'' arpeggios and ''Warning'' rythm. For driven stuff, I couldn't recall differences between ''Welcome to Paradise'' and ''Castaway'' intro riffs. So that could mean both amps together. But sometimes he played ''Good Riddance'' on solo but still with a soft overdrive sound with him. So that could be ''PETE'' only or just him turning down the drive from the amp, like he does, again, if I remember, in Spain, Barcelona, Warning tour again.

Any help?

Hope you're all doing well. Love you, fantastic Green Day people!  😊

Archived