Billie Joe Armstrong Equipment

deleteduser6293

i have proven the people wrong who said billy uses a fender bassman head during the 1039 era and uberproaudiogear site says he used a ds-2 and micro amp but thats false as well. billie used no pedals just the gain from his amp. the amp ivebeen trying to figure is finally solved...hes playing thru a 70s acoustic 360 bass amp head and those amps have built in gain "acoustic company calls it GROWL".the head he had looked like the front paneling was ripped off

What pedal has he used in old 93-94 videos ive seen a pedal by him

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i think i know what your talking about...i remember one show in japan where the last song was good riddance n hewas by himself playing blue and he stepped on a pedal but thats no more than a footswitch for his amp channel but after awhile it seems that billie doesnt control it anymore prolly his techs but i was clearing up the whole pedal sound of 1039 era cuz even when you watch them back then its his guitar blue with no pedals...just a cable into an amp but pedals are included in his rig today

Every one read my post above for blue info,

Yes, there have been NO replicas of blue AT ALL, just other blue coloured guitars that billie has used for nimrod songs and in Brazil while blue was getting an unknown repair done

Here's some pics of his guitars

Frankestein Guitar(maybe it's guitar, which Billie smashed in 1997-9)

fendercustom.gif

Red Strat

Taken from canal+ 1997

p1ldjozd7lsp.png

The First guitar is one of 2 guitars billie used for nimrod songs, the second guitar is Frankinstein

trust me, I have taken alot of time to research this, Years

Blue was getting refretted and it's name was azul

He also got a new seymour duncan humbucker pickup

• 1 year later...

Can anybody tell me what pickups he uses in his sunburst strat. From the Basket Case Bullet In A Bible video it's got a black humbucker with two single coils.

What mics do they use on the guitar cabs

I know you asked this practically two years ago but i figured I'd answer anyway.

I read somewhere that he uses the Shure SM57 for guitar cabinets. I have his live mic the Shure SM58 and if you take the head off of that it's almost like the SM57.

There's still not photo of Frankenstein yet, maybe the red one is, considering it has different pickups.

You're right about the other guitars, but he definitely has multiple Blue replicas. I don't think he's used the original blue live for some time.

Billie has always used the Real one live, there are no Replicas or 'Blue Replacments'

There's still not photo of Frankenstein yet, maybe the red one is, considering it has different pickups.

THIS is frankenstein p1ldjozd7lsp.png

He had Blue replicas at one point, around the time of nimrod. Fender built them for him.

Billie has always used the Real one live, there are no Replicas or 'Blue Replacments'

THIS is frankenstein p1ldjozd7lsp.png

Are you sure? I don0t see a lot of different parts.

Actually, this is the pink one lol :lol: But Hammie's right - this must be Frankenstein. He also had two very similiar-looking (one of these was confused with Frankenstein) sonic blue Fernandes models built by Bill Schneider, with custom-made Fender-like neck.

Actually, this is the pink one lol :lol: But Hammie's right - this must be Frankenstein. He also had two very similiar-looking (one of these was confused with Frankenstein) sonic blue Fernandes models built by Bill Schneider, with custom-made Fender-like neck.

I thought he never used Frankenstein in public?

I thought he never used Frankenstein in public?

I dunno. But the pink one is Custom Shop Strat.

THIS is frankenstein

I want this guitar !!!!!!!

• 1 year later...

so i'm bringing back an old thread here, but a post in another thread got me curious and a search led me here. i didn't find what i was looking for, but i wanna talk about Billie's Frankenstein guitar... sorry if i'm beating a dead horse.

a lot of people think it's a strat, but all we know is that he said it was put together from parts bought at a fender shop... he didn't say it was a strat though. i always thought his frankenstein guitar was the black tele he used in the nice guys finish last video. was there ever confirmation that it was a strat? am i missing something? i've never seen another tele in that style with the same color scheme, it definitely seemed like a custom guitar to me.

1 hour ago, Kyle Serlington said:

so i'm bringing back an old thread here, but a post in another thread got me curious and a search led me here. i didn't find what i was looking for, but i wanna talk about Billie's Frankenstein guitar... sorry if i'm beating a dead horse.

a lot of people think it's a strat, but all we know is that he said it was put together from parts bought at a fender shop... he didn't say it was a strat though. i always thought his frankenstein guitar was the black tele he used in the nice guys finish last video. was there ever confirmation that it was a strat? am i missing something? i've never seen another tele in that style with the same color scheme, it definitely seemed like a custom guitar to me.

Or it might have been this guitar.

tumblr_n5ch13RkXX1sv8va6o5_1280.jpg

i still think it might be the black one i was talking about. That article said that the red tele and blue strat were from the fender custom shop, which isn't actually a store, it's just what fender calls their ordering for custom instruments made by their professional builders. it's been stated that frankenstein was put together from different parts purchased at a fender store, more of a DIY thing

that's a cool article though, thanks for posting it!

1 hour ago, Kyle Serlington said:

i still think it might be the black one i was talking about. That article said that the red tele and blue strat were from the fender custom shop, which isn't actually a store, it's just what fender calls their ordering for custom instruments made by their professional builders. it's been stated that frankenstein was put together from different parts purchased at a fender store, more of a DIY thing

that's a cool article though, thanks for posting it!

Around 1999, he also had a Tele almost identical to the ones he sometimes gives away onstage and that are, in Hans Buscher's words, "disposable", but in an inverted color scheme.

elzcsm7492h4.jpg

ec1fxqnvd74n.jpg

i actually have a tele similar to that but it's been sitting around disassembled for about 10 years now. i think this summer i'm gunna make a project out of it and repaint it, i may try to make it a telecaster version of blue

Can anyone tell me what cabinet Billie is using? Billie owns two of them - one of these has "Green Day" spraypainted on, but no brand logos or any distinctions at all.

http://imgur.com/a/qqPX5

it looks like more of a bass rig to me, in one of the pics of looks like there's 2 circles visible in the screen, so it looks like a 215 cab and it looks like a galien kreuger head on it, and i know mike used to use one of those amps, but i'm pretty sure mike played through a 610 cab back then, and in every pic it's on billie's side of the stage... weird.

10 hours ago, Kyle Serlington said:

it looks like more of a bass rig to me, in one of the pics of looks like there's 2 circles visible in the screen, so it looks like a 215 cab and it looks like a galien kreuger head on it, and i know mike used to use one of those amps, but i'm pretty sure mike played through a 610 cab back then, and in every pic it's on billie's side of the stage... weird.

Mike, before switching to Ampeg, used to use a GK400B, GK800RB and Billie's Yamaha G100II plus Acoustic 104 cabinet, which is a 6X10 cabinet. And, yes, sometimes that Acoustic cab would wind up on Billie's side of stage and Billie's GK250RL on Mike's side respectively.

The speakers on Billie's cab do seem a little small for 15", although I could be wrong. I tried looking up 2X15 cabs, but no result. Also, the cab has a briefcase-like handle on its longer side, which could signify that the cab was meant to be placed horizontally, not vertically (but GK250RL is a really tiny amp so you could do that either way).

• 6 months later...

so on the new tour it looks like there's some new equipment! It looks like Billie isn't taking any telecasters on tour this time, the one he used on the trilogy tour has been replaced by buddy, the black polka dot strat that's a backup for blue. He also has that new Les Paul Junior with the custom paint job, and I'm a little bummed he hasn't used that one too much yet, it looks way cooler than that silver sparkle one. Another thing I noticed is that so far he's used a black les paul custom for a few songs too, Hitchin A Ride, Scattered, and Waiting. The bridge pickup has been swapped out for what I'm assuming is a Duncan JB. For the last few tours it seems like Billie used Blue for the nimrod stuff, so he would be playing them a half step down from how nimrod was actually recorded. Since this new les paul is being used for nimrod songs and waiting, maybe he decided to play the nimrod songs in standard tuning again. Looks like Mike has a new bass or two as well, he's been using a sunburst p-bass for the older songs and it looks like it could be from the 60's.

The amp setup is pretty weird too. There's a Marshall half stack and then it looks like 2 fender combo amps, a Vox, and some other combo amp I can't identify. So far the live sound has been pretty good in my opinion. The Marshall is a plexi but it doesn't look like Pete or Meat, I wonder if he's decided to retire them after 22 years of touring. Mike's bass setup seems odd too, last night there were 3 amps and cabs set up on stage and the one in the middle was different than the other 2. The ones on the left and right actually look like vintage fenders, they don't look like the Bassman ones he used on the trilogy tour

Gibson really needs to make a silver sparkle junior model.. but they'll just keep putting out the same sunburst and TV yellow guitars 

Archived