Billie Joe Armstrong Equipment

deleteduser6293

ACOUSTIC AND ELECTRIC GUITARS:

Fernandes Stratocaster ("Blue'')

Fender Stratocaster (''Blue 2'')

Fernandes Stratocaster (''Blue 3'' Used in the final part of the 21st Century Breakdown tour)

Frankestein Guoitar (Used in Mtv California Music Awards 2000.I'm not sure...)

Fender Stratocaster Red (Used in Nimrod Tour)

Fender Stratocaster Pearl (Used in the Nimrod tour)

Gibson SG Standard Black Smashed

Gibson SG Standard Black (Used in the live appaerance in CBGB in 2001)

Fender Stratocaster (Sunburst (Used in American Idiot Tour)

Fender Stratocaster Yellow (Used in 21st Century Breakdown Tour)

Gibson ES 135

Gibson Les Paul Junior

Gibson Les Paul Special 59'

Gibson SG Standard Traditional (With 2 pick-up level control removed..Used in 1996)

Gibson Les Paul Junior TV 59'

Fender Telecaster 68'

Fender Jazz Master

Fender Telecaster Custom Shop / Seymour Duncan JB

Gibson ES 335

Gibson Les Paul Juniior White

Gibson Les Paul Custom Shop

Gibson Les Paul Slash Top Gold

Gibson Les Paul Junior Sunburst (''Floyd'')

Gibson Les Paul Junior Black

Fernandes Stratocaster (''Blue''' replicas.B illie has got several copy of his ''Blue'' guitar. One was used and smashed in the live show in Rio 2010.)

Guild D-30

Taylor 514C

Gibson J180 (Used in 21st Century Breakdown Tour for ''Good Riddance'',''Last Night On Earth'',''21 Guns'' and some medley)

AMPLIFICATION,EFFECTS AND ACCESORIES:

Fender Bassman (or Frontman) Cabinet + Head (Used in 1987-1990 early times...)

Marshall JCM 800 (or 900 Dual Reverb) 100W Head + 300W Cabinet

Marshall 1959 Super Lead Plexi 100W Head + 300W Cabinet 1960 re-issue ''Dookie Mod'' by Martin Golub

Marshall 1959 Super Lead Plexi 100W Head + 300W Cabinet 1960 re-issue ''SE Lead Mod''

Marshall 9200 Dual Monobloc

Custom Audio Electronics Amp Switcher

Boss Tremolo TR-2 Pedal

Ibanez CF7 Chorus-Flanger Pedal

Custom Audio Amplifier 3+ SE Tube

Custom Audio Electronics Amp Switcher

Custom Audio Electronics RG-16

Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer

Sanson S700 Pre Amp

Supa Charger

13 Divided Combo By

Leslie Amp

Hiwatt 100 Custom

Senehiser Microphones

Shure Microphones

Shure Wireless Cables

Jim Dunlop 0.88 Picks

Strings 0.10-0.46 (Ernie Ball Super Slinky or GBS. But he likes everything sounds good)

Dunlop Cry Baby Pedal Effect

Telefunken U40 For recording Voice

QUOTES:

Billie Joe usually records his guitar track more than a time. The ''dookie'' mod was done by Martin Golub at the LA Sound design and consist into pull of the first MASTER control and put a GAIN control for extra drive. The ''SE Lead Mod'' is similiar but with less gain. The favourite Billie's guitars are ''Blue'',the old Fernandes and ''Floyd'',his LP Junior. Billie Joe uses the ''dookie'' mod for old stuf like Dookie,Insomniac and Kerplunk songs but maybe for Insomniac in the 1995 period he played with two Marshall SLP togheter, Sometimes there was a mix between the SLP and a JCM 800. Each of those was modded. Billie uses humbucker like Seymour Duncan SH-4 and Bill Lawrence till' the album ''Insomniac''. Probably Billie uses many amps on each songs of ''Insomniac'' for a dark sound while in live performances he uses the two heads togheter. Billie plays sometimes also with his thumbs during the chord's attack.

REFRESHED.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fernandes Stratocaster (''Blue''' replicas.Billie has got several copy of his ''Blue'' guitar.One was used and smashed in the live show in Rio 2010.)

:blink: where did that happen?

Thats actually wrong. He smashed all he replicas back when he got them all made. He than got one make for the South American tour because Blue was getting some repairs. That one never got smashed, he did throw in on the ground one night during "Geek Stink Breath" because the string broke but he was still able to use it for the rest of that tour, the only thing that broke was part of the headstock.

yes i saw that happening :) didn't like that side of him though^^

but i thought he smashed one completely.

His acoustic isn't a melody maker it's a Gibson J-180 Custom made. Basically the same as the Everly Brothers model.

Foto%208.jpg

In a Brasil live show.write on youtube billie joe smashing blue

Thats actually wrong. He smashed all he replicas back when he got them all made. He than got one make for the South American tour because Blue was getting some repairs. That one never got smashed, he did throw in on the ground one night during "Geek Stink Breath" because the string broke but he was still able to use it for the rest of that tour, the only thing that broke was part of the headstock.

I didn't known that in particular.i've seen only the video,I don't know what happened exactly at the guitar cause he taken a tele then.....

• 6 months later...

BILLIE JOE ARMSTRONG GUITAR RIG AND EQUIPMENT.

AMPLIFICATION:

- UNKNOWN HEAD + CAB

Is the one used during the ''1,039/Smoothed Out Slappy Hours'' era.

- MARSHALL JCM 900 DUAL REVERB/JCM 800 100 WATT HEADS

Used for the ''Kerplunk'' live shows. I'm not sure if this one was modded out. Billie used some Marshalls also over the years and not only SLP or JCM but also other models. Ceck out their live performances to see them.

- MARSHALL 1959 REISSUE NO HAND WIRED SUPER LEAD PLEXI 100 WATT ''DOOKIE MOD''

It has a crunch mod made by Martin Golub at LA Sound Design. It gives more gain to the amp. Basically on a SLP there are two Master controls for each channels. What he did is pulling off a Master volume in favor of a Gain control so the Master volume controls every channel. Billie uses this amp by 1994 when he recorded the album ''Dookie''. It also called the ''Pete'' amp 'cause he had a copy amp like this in 1994,used very much during shows that belonged to their producer Rob Cavallo. This amp was also used by Rancid in the album ''And Out Comes The Wolves''. I must say anyway the Billie's got many replicas of that amp,sometimes he had the ''Pete'' sprayed on and now a days he had a new clean ands still without the Marshall logo.

- MARSHALL 1959 REISSUE NO HAND WIRED SUPER LEAD PLEXI 100 WATT ''SE LEAD MOD'' MEAT

I'm not completely sure of the info I found out to this amp. For sure I can only say that is close to the ''Dookie'' mod but with less distortion. I readen around that this mod was done for ''American Idiot'' but I don't believe it! I'll tell you why. Billie uses this amp togheter the ''Dookie'' amp by 1995 when he recorded ''Insomniac''. Someone said that in 1995 he used the two SLP togheter (they were two same 'Dookie'' amps?) for a darkest sound. But that's can't be true 'cause this second amp was called ''Meat'' and still today has this name and Billie uses in this rig but for the new stuff (that's what I heard but I'm still not sure). So still remains the doubt. I'll tell you some news soon...

OTHER AMPS USED THROUGH THE YEARS FEATURING:

- OLD PARK HEAD MODDED OUT

- HI-WATT 50 WATT HEAD

- '58 FENDER TWIN TWEED (Like the one wich Keith Richard uses)

- DIVIDED BY 13 COMBO

- FENDER BASSMAN 100 WATT

- LESLIE AMP

- FENDER DELUXE BLACKFACE

ADDITIONAL GEAR:

- MARSHALL 9200 DUAL MONOBLOC SYSTEM

- SAMSON S700 350 WATT X 2 STEREO

- CUSTOM AUDIO ELECTRONICS RG-16 FEATURING 6 INPUTS SYSTEM

- DTH-1 DIGITAL TUNER

- CAE AMP SWITCHER 1 (FOR CAB 1 AND CAB 2)

- CAE AMP SWITCHER 2 (INPUT 3 PLUGGED INTO THE CAE 3+)

- CAE AMP SWITCHER 3 (FOR ''PETE'' AND ''MEAT'')

- CAE 3+ SE TUBE PRE AMP (PLUGGED INTO CAE AMP SWITCHER 3'S INPUT 3)

- BOSS TR-2 TREMOLO PEDAL

- IBANEZ CF-7 CHORUS/FLANGER PEDAL

- IBANEZ TS9 TUBESCREAMER PEDAL

- BOSS BD-2 BLUES DRIVER 2 PEDAL

- UNKNOWN ONE BUTTON CONTROL PEDAL

- MASTER MIDI CONTROLLER:

It has four sound presets wich Billie uses. CLEAN used rarely. MID bypass by Marshall heads in favor of the CAE 3+ SE TUBE PRE AMP. BIG only the two Marshall heads. BIG EFFECT The BOSS BD-2 is plugged in for solos.

- SUPA CHARGER SYSTEM

- MARSHALL 1960B 4X12 CABS LOADED WITH G12-75

- MARSHALL 1960 BV 4X12 CABS LOADED WITH VINTAGE 30

- SHURE SM7 MICS Used for each head

- SENNHEISER 421 MICS Used for each head

- NEUMANN 103S MICS Used for each head

- SHURE U4D WIRELESS GUITAR CABLES

- TELEFUNKEN u47 VOICE RECORDING

- UNKNOWN TAPE GUITAR STRAP (The red one for old ''Blue''

- FORT BRYAN GUITAR STRAPS

- SHALLER GUITAR SECURITY STRAP LOCKS

- JIM DUNLOP GUITAR PICKS

- ERNIE BALL SUPER SLINKY GUITAR STRINKS (0.10/0.64)

- GBS GUITAR STRINGS

GUITARS

- Fernandes Sratocaster 80's Daphne Blue ''Blue'' with SEYMOUR DUNCAN JB SH-4 BRIDGE PICKUP (In the early years he used BILL LAWRENCE HUMBUCKERS)

- Many Many Replicas of ''Blue'' (All loaded with JB)

- Fender Stratocaster (He had many models and colours used through the years) (All loaded with JB)

1 SONIC BLUE ''BLUE 2'' used in 1997

1 RED used in 1997

3 YELLOW used 1994 in 1997 and in 2009

1 BLACK smashed in 2001

1 SUNBURST used in 2005.

- Fender Telecaster '68

- Fender Telecaster '68 Custom Shop

- Fender Jazz Master

- Fender Jag-Stang

- Fender Esquire '52

- Many Gibson Les Paul Junior Guitars. He has an incredible number of those. Al loaded with P90 pickups.

- Gibson Les Paul Junior ''Floyd'' Sunburst '56

- Gibson Les Paul Junior White

- Gibson Les Paul Junior Black

- Gibson ES-335

- Gibson LP Special '59

- Gibson LP Special TV '59

- Gibson LP Junior Special Red Brownish

- Gibson LP Custom Shop Black

- Gibson Les Paul 1957 Top Gold

- Gibson J-180 equipped with a Martin Thinline Gold Natural pickup

- Gibson Les Paul '59 Special Pickguard

- Gibson ES-335 Dot reissue, which features a Fishman PowerBridge for acoustic sounds. A Fishman Aura Spectrum DI has also recently been added to the signal chain.

- Gibson SG Red Standard Covered With Stickers Used In 1995

- Gibson SG Red Standard

- Gibson SG Black Standard Used In 2001

- Gibson SG Standard White

- Gibson SG Standard Black Smashed

- Grestch Hollow Body Black

- Guild D-55

- Taylor 514C

- Unknown guitar used at the California Music Awards in 2001

What, seriously, is your point with this thread?

• 4 months later...

What you mean?

She means qual'è, seriamente, il tuo scopo con questo thread? (even if I think you already translated it on your own)

I think it's a cordial way to say that this thread you've created is basically pointless. It's interesting (at least to me), but totally pointless..

She means qual'è, seriamente, il tuo scopo con questo thread? (even if I think you already translated it on your own)

I think it's a cordial way to say that this thread you've created is basically pointless. It's interesting (at least to me), but totally pointless..

Jimmy...I made this thread to help anyone wants to know more about Billie's guitar rig...in the videos on youtube they don't explain nothing...

LUDEBOY: It's not complicated.. I made this thread to make you ask what you don't understand..it's simple..the ongly thing that is complicated..is the amount of pedals,pre amp etc..that Billie has!!!!

GUY: Billi uses the LEAD MOD to the new stuff,but also the Warning stuff yeah like Minority etc.. He uses the DOOKIE MOD for the old stuff from 1039/SOSH to Nimrod! He has also a clean channel that he uses for example in the bridge of Homecoming when he says ''Somebody get me out of there'' and the guitar plays that D chords on clean sound. He uses the BOSS BD2 for solos.. The Ibanez TR2 it's for Boulevard I think.. And the Ibanez TS9 as a booster as he has an overdrive pedal but not to much. I hope this helped you. If you have other to ask. Do it! Bye :)

• 9 months later...
The ''dookie'' mod was done by Martin Golub at the LA Sound design and consist into pull of the first MASTER control and put a GAIN control for extra drive. The ''SE Lead Mod'' is similiar but with less gain.

I own a Dookie modded super lead and a SE Lead modded super lead. The lead mod has x10 more gain than the Dookie mod. It goes into what people call "Whitesnake territory". Both add an extra tube to the pre-amp.

For whatever reason my mind wandered to umm..."bodily equipment" when I read this title. My excuse is I'm listening to Dos right now!

I thought he smashed it cause tre started drumming to the wrong part thats why in the video Billie is just staring at tre after that. He had the replica when he got the new pickup in it. The black and yellow one

• 4 weeks later...
I thought he smashed it cause tre started drumming to the wrong part thats why in the video Billie is just staring at tre after that. He had the replica when he got the new pickup in it. The black and yellow one

How do you know Blue was "getting some repairs?" They travel with guitar technicians who can fix any guitar repair anywhere in the world. Don't just say things.

By the way, "Blue 2" is no longer in existence because I own the neck myself. No shit. So...the rumors may be correct that he smashed his original Blue copy from 1997. I can definitely prove this, too.

Before the trip to costa rica the Seymour Duncan pick up was all black. The guitar was left at one of Billie's technicians house while the new pick up was put in. After the south america tour he got Blue back and had it all fixed with the new pick up. Thats why half the new pick up is black and the other half is yellowish.

Archived