Billie Joe Armstrong Equipment

deleteduser6293

10 minutes ago, James11693 said:

Gibson really needs to make a silver sparkle junior model.. but they'll just keep putting out the same sunburst and TV yellow guitars 

Fender does the same thing, it's all Sunburst, Black, or White for the most part with some blue and red ones thrown in and once in a great while they'll do a natural finish, which is one of my favorites. I use warmoth now when I want a new instrument, i've gotten alright and putting basses and guitars together, and I love their charger green color

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone know what flanger he used on bang bang?  Just curious, especially because he's not a big pedal guy (i think he used a tr 2 on BVBD)

8 hours ago, onionbubs said:

Anyone know what flanger he used on bang bang?  Just curious, especially because he's not a big pedal guy (i think he used a tr 2 on BVBD)

It's a phaser in this instance. Not 100% sure but most likely the MXR Phase 90 (purely based on the fact it's been in his rig before).

Anybody know what straplocks Billie uses on his Juniors? I just got a pair that are really bulky and am having second thoughts on the pair I own.

I hope someone posts a close up pic of mike with that yellow bass from last night, he used it during hitchin a ride, scattered, and waiting, I've never seen him use it before and it looks pretty cool

On 9/29/2016 at 10:07 AM, James11693 said:

Gibson really needs to make a silver sparkle junior model.. but they'll just keep putting out the same sunburst and TV yellow guitars 

Someone posted years back around the trilogy era of a site that had a silver sparkle junior for sale for like 2k but it didn't look as good as Billie's custom paint job don't know if it was an official paint job or a third party that was reselling it 

here's a new interview where mike talks a little about the new album

http://alt987fm.iheart.com/onair/the-woody-show-54307//interview-green-day-on-revolution-radio-15157530/

he said he used one bass and one amp for the whole album, and he said they used the stuff that they use on tour aside from billie using a few secret weapon guitars. I wonder which bass mike used then, because in the past he used an early 70's p bass that he called "the weapon", but I don't think that's a touring bass, so I doubt he used it, which is a shame cuz I loved the bass sound on the trilogy where as the bass tone on revrad just seems kinda average, but maybe that's just because it's buried in the mix. I guess that Ric he posted a pic of months ago wasn't used on the album. and in that video billie posted on april fools day it showed a mic'd up SVT rig, and in my opinion his fender amps sound a lot better than an SVT.

also, in an earlier post on here I commented about the amp setup on stage. It looks like Billie is still using Pete and Meat afterall, there's been a couple back stage photos posted with them in em

Does anyone know if the 50w Marshall MKII heads are able to be modded with the Dookie mod??? I really wanna get this as itd be not ear bleeding loud.

8 minutes ago, LPbilliejr said:

Does anyone know if the 50w Marshall MKII heads are able to be modded with the Dookie mod??? I really wanna get this as itd be not ear bleeding loud.

I'm not sure, but honestly 100 watts isn't gunna be super louder than a 50 watt amp. I have a 100 watt marshall through a 412 cab. I haven't played a show with it yet but I play with the gain turned up high and the volume at around 4 or 5 and that's loud enough for band practice. turn it down to about 2 or so and it's a good volume for low level jamming

Just now, Kyle Serlington said:

I'm not sure, but honestly 100 watts isn't gunna be super louder than a 50 watt amp. I have a 100 watt marshall through a 412 cab. I haven't played a show with it yet but I play with the gain turned up high and the volume at around 4 or 5 and that's loud enough for band practice. turn it down to about 2 or so and it's a good volume for low level jamming

Lol I just need the dookie mod tone with a P90 in my life lol. I'll be poor af but its necessary haha

I've given up hope of finding a white Junior for a reasonable price lmfaooo, probably just gonna bite the bullet and get a TV yellow one.

3 minutes ago, Platypus2000 said:

I've given up hope of finding a white Junior for a reasonable price lmfaooo, probably just gonna bite the bullet and get a TV yellow one.

I got mine in 2009 after weeks of searching. At the time, they had a pretty ugly sunburst that every store had, but I persevered and waited for the white. Looking back on it, I am glad that I did. The white ages pretty well and looks really cool once it's worn in a bit (not too big of a fan of the brand new white look). ;) 

Just now, xLumian said:

I got mine in 2009 after weeks of searching. At the time, they had a pretty ugly sunburst that every store had, but I persevered and waited for the white. Looking back on it, I am glad that I did. The white ages pretty well and looks really cool once it's worn in a bit (not too big of a fan of the brand new white look). ;) 

Love the brand new and worn in look. Gibsons are like Converse, they look good brand spanking new or worn in to fuck. I'll be happy with it either way! The two I've found have been going for silly money and at the end of the day they are Juniors, there's only so much I'm willing to pay for one. I'm saving up for a Standard and a Junior sooo might have to get the standard first but I'm getting really impatient with the Junior! Especially when I see other colours going for £300-£400! 

8 minutes ago, Platypus2000 said:

Love the brand new and worn in look. Gibsons are like Converse, they look good brand spanking new or worn in to fuck. I'll be happy with it either way! The two I've found have been going for silly money and at the end of the day they are Juniors, there's only so much I'm willing to pay for one. I'm saving up for a Standard and a Junior sooo might have to get the standard first but I'm getting really impatient with the Junior! Especially when I see other colours going for £300-£400! 

Just realized that Gibson doesn't sell white models brand new anymore. That sucks =/

8 minutes ago, xLumian said:

Just realized that Gibson doesn't sell white models brand new anymore. That sucks =/

That's what I mean! I've been looking for a discontinued guitar for about 2 years now.

The 2015 Juniors with the electronic tuners seem to be around £450 to £500 right now - the cherry one is gorgeous. The white Billie Joe Junior is so rare - but ebay sometimes have the satin finish white one but the paint comes off so easily. 

Check ebay for a Gibson special double cut - some of those are lovely looking. 

There is a refinished silver sparkle one on ebay right now for £450 but it is collection only and has some awful writing on the back. 

• 2 weeks later...

After seeing loads of new guitars used on the RevRad tour so far, it seemed that every other night Billie would use a new guitar. But after a few shows I noticed something. Billie had 2 red juniors, one with heavy arm wear from a previous owner, and one that was red and black stripes with skulls on it. I thought it was 2 different guitars until I noticed that once he started using the striped one, the solid red one disappeared. I thought that Billie borrowed the guitar for a few nights (Joe Bonamossa does this alot) and that the striped one was just more liked by Billie. But after another show went by I figured that it had been repainted,Well today Hans posted a closeup pic of the guitar and I asked if it had been repainted and he replied, "Yes. Became an art project in Boston #spraybombs". 

This

21c8m5t.jpg

To this

96kpqb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/9/2016 at 4:46 PM, LPbilliejr said:

Yes it can be done. I was talking to Martin from L.A. Sound, and he said the 50 watt is similar circuitry, but The low end will be "muddier" as he said. I'm getting a Jmp 2204 clone from Ceriatone in the coming months, and I'm going to send it straight to Martin.

1 minute ago, stuckwithme409 said:

Yes it can be done. I was talking to Martin from L.A. Sound, and he said the 50 watt is similar circuitry, but The low end will be "muddier" as he said. I'm getting a Jmp 2204 clone from Ceriatone in the coming months, and I'm going to send it straight to Martin.

THANK YOU SO much! I really am gonna use some cash I get over the next few months to get a handwired Ceriatone 87x 50w, or cheap used Marshall and get this mod. I just wanted a little less insane 100w level lol. Did you email Martin or do you live close to LA?

Also curious as to why you wouldn't get a circuit closer to the 69/70 super leads? or am I mistaken thinking the 2204 is radically different?

On 10/17/2016 at 7:41 PM, bjafan129 said:

After seeing loads of new guitars used on the RevRad tour so far, it seemed that every other night Billie would use a new guitar. But after a few shows I noticed something. Billie had 2 red juniors, one with heavy arm wear from a previous owner, and one that was red and black stripes with skulls on it. I thought it was 2 different guitars until I noticed that once he started using the striped one, the solid red one disappeared. I thought that Billie borrowed the guitar for a few nights (Joe Bonamossa does this alot) and that the striped one was just more liked by Billie. But after another show went by I figured that it had been repainted,Well today Hans posted a closeup pic of the guitar and I asked if it had been repainted and he replied, "Yes. Became an art project in Boston #spraybombs". 

This

To this

In St. Louis he had a RNR Relics "Thunder" made single-cut junior with a flag paint-job, it was fantastic, and he didn't smash the $2,600 he just spent too lmao! He also replaced the bridge pup in the White les paul custom he was using, it's now a Seymour Duncan labeled pup (guessing an SH-4).

Just now, LPbilliejr said:

THANK YOU SO much! I really am gonna use some cash I get over the next few months to get a handwired Ceriatone 87x 50w, or cheap used Marshall and get this mod. I just wanted a little less insane 100w level lol. Did you email Martin or do you live close to LA?

Also curious as to why you wouldn't get a circuit closer to the 69/70 super leads? or am I mistaken thinking the 2204 is radically different?

In St. Louis he had a RNR Relics "Thunder" made single-cut junior with a flag paint-job, it was fantastic, and he didn't smash the $2,600 he just spent too lmao! He also replaced the bridge pup in the White les paul custom he was using, it's now a Seymour Duncan labeled pup (guessing an SH-4).

I'm After the JMP circuit because Jason uses the JMP mv heads on the road, and as he is usually the dominant guitar in the Live mixes, I'm after his tone. The "Plexi" wiring is basically the same as the JMP. The only real difference is that the JMP takes v1 and v2 tubes and cascades v1 into v2(the preamp section), but each plexi channel goes to ONE pre amp tube(ecc83).  

Also, I emailed Martin. I wish I lived close to L.A.! he seemed like a nice guy, but all his replies were short and simple. He never gave out the mod info, more of a tone guide more or less. 

I asked if he could do 50 watts and he replied: Yes. But a 100 watt would sound better...

100 watt sound bigger more dynamic.

2 minutes ago, stuckwithme409 said:

I'm After the JMP circuit because Jason uses the JMP mv heads on the road, and as he is usually the dominant guitar in the Live mixes, I'm after his tone. The "Plexi" wiring is basically the same as the JMP. The only real difference is that the JMP takes v1 and v2 tubes and cascades v1 into v2(the preamp section), but each plexi channel goes to ONE pre amp tube(ecc83).  

Also, I emailed Martin. I wish I lived close to L.A.! he seemed like a nice guy, but all his replies were short and simple. He never gave out the mod info, more of a tone guide more or less. 

I asked if he could do 50 watts and he replied: Yes. But a 100 watt would sound better...

100 watt sound bigger more dynamic.

I agree Jason is the main sound but at least this tour Billie has his sound much grittier, I saw them days ago in St Louis and it was much improved from 2013. that makes sense that the Jmp has the series tubes into the preamp section.

I may still do the 50w because it seems like no one has tried it.....hmmm decisions.

On 9/29/2016 at 10:46 AM, Kyle Serlington said:

so on the new tour it looks like there's some new equipment! It looks like Billie isn't taking any telecasters on tour this time, the one he used on the trilogy tour has been replaced by buddy, the black polka dot strat that's a backup for blue. He also has that new Les Paul Junior with the custom paint job, and I'm a little bummed he hasn't used that one too much yet, it looks way cooler than that silver sparkle one. Another thing I noticed is that so far he's used a black les paul custom for a few songs too, Hitchin A Ride, Scattered, and Waiting. The bridge pickup has been swapped out for what I'm assuming is a Duncan JB. For the last few tours it seems like Billie used Blue for the nimrod stuff, so he would be playing them a half step down from how nimrod was actually recorded. Since this new les paul is being used for nimrod songs and waiting, maybe he decided to play the nimrod songs in standard tuning again. Looks like Mike has a new bass or two as well, he's been using a sunburst p-bass for the older songs and it looks like it could be from the 60's.

The amp setup is pretty weird too. There's a Marshall half stack and then it looks like 2 fender combo amps, a Vox, and some other combo amp I can't identify. So far the live sound has been pretty good in my opinion. The Marshall is a plexi but it doesn't look like Pete or Meat, I wonder if he's decided to retire them after 22 years of touring. Mike's bass setup seems odd too, last night there were 3 amps and cabs set up on stage and the one in the middle was different than the other 2. The ones on the left and right actually look like vintage fenders, they don't look like the Bassman ones he used on the trilogy tour

The Marshall and the Fender looking amps are all just for show. Like the cabs they always had in the past. Nothing more than a back drop. I know they kept a cab live and I think they still do for billie to get feedback during Welcome to Paradise. But all the combos are for show. 

4 minutes ago, LPbilliejr said:

I agree Jason is the main sound but at least this tour Billie has his sound much grittier, I saw them days ago in St Louis and it was much improved from 2013. that makes sense that the Jmp has the series tubes into the preamp section.

I may still do the 50w because it seems like no one has tried it.....hmmm decisions.

I'm definitely doing a 50 watt. It just depends on the mood I'm in on weither or not I'll do the plexi or the JMP. Just depends.

*I'm finally going to my first GD concert in march, so I'm just going off the recorded live/livestreams that they've done.

1 hour ago, stuckwithme409 said:

I'm definitely doing a 50 watt. It just depends on the mood I'm in on weither or not I'll do the plexi or the JMP. Just depends.

*I'm finally going to my first GD concert in march, so I'm just going off the recorded live/livestreams that they've done.

When it's all done and finished please post up the process, how it went, and a good video of the sound.

You'll have a great time, it's a crazy environment a live show with the band.

Archived