"American Idiot" Musical Tour

plaid ducky

Finally got to see this last night it was a really good production on a smaller scale than the Broadway version but I loved it. The band and voices were great. I kept watching thinking what a freaking genius Billie is to have written these songs. 

St Jimmy was played by a woman and her costume and attitude reminded me of DC’s Harley Quinn it was very cool.

• Like 2

My dad is  probably going to take me to see it in San Francisco.

What is it rated?

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, AmericanIdiot2 said:

My dad is  probably going to take me to see it in San Francisco.

What is it rated?

It doesn’t have a rating but it’s full of explicit language and drug use.  They usually put a warning with it in the playbill or somewhere. If it was a movie it would be R rated.

8 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

It doesn’t have a rating but it’s full of explicit language and drug use.  They usually put a warning with it in the playbill or somewhere. If it was a movie it would be R rated.

I probably won’t be able to see it then. Because last time I checked, being an LDS eleven year old with evil parents who don’t believe in fun will make it impossible to ANY FRICKING THING JUST BECAUSE IT’S FRICKING RATED R!!!!😡 But then again, no one ever said that life was fair.

Edited by AmericanIdiot2
Reference and additional information

10 hours ago, AmericanIdiot2 said:

I probably won’t be able to see it then. Because last time I checked, being an LDS eleven year old with evil parents who don’t believe in fun will make it impossible to ANY FRICKING THING JUST BECAUSE IT’S FRICKING RATED R!!!!😡 But then again, no one ever said that life was fair.

Give it a few years and you'll be old enough for rated r stuff :P In the meantime there's a broadway bootleg that you can watch (it used to be on youtube maybe still is). Plus honestly, Green Day isn't exactly a band you want to enjoy together with your parents. I mean, the conversation is bound to get awkward if you go see the show with them or watch BIAB together etc. lol

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Beerjeezus said:

Give it a few years and you'll be old enough for rated r stuff :P In the meantime there's a broadway bootleg that you can watch (it used to be on youtube maybe still is). Plus honestly, Green Day isn't exactly a band you want to enjoy together with your parents. I mean, the conversation is bound to get awkward if you go see the show with them or watch BIAB together etc. lol

It doesn’t matter how old I am. In my religion we are not allowed to watch R rated stuff.  Also my dad used to be a fan. He wanted to see them at Woodstock. He still enjoys their music he is just not really a fan.

Edited by AmericanIdiot2

1 hour ago, AmericanIdiot2 said:

It doesn’t matter how old I am. In my religion we are not allowed to watch R rated stuff.  Also my dad used to be a fan. He wanted to see them at Woodstock. He still enjoys their music he is just not really a fan.

Oh I didn't know (although as Alison said, it doesn't have an official rating, not sure if that helps in any way). It's good that he enjoys the music though. That's a lot better than having to explain what you like about a middle aged rock band to someone completely unfamiliar with it.

2 hours ago, Beerjeezus said:

Oh I didn't know (although as Alison said, it doesn't have an official rating, not sure if that helps in any way). It's good that he enjoys the music though. That's a lot better than having to explain what you like about a middle aged rock band to someone completely unfamiliar with it.

Who is Alison?

On 8/1/2019 at 12:44 PM, Beerjeezus said:

pacejunkie punk

First off, I thought we aren’t supposed to use real names on here and second, how do you know their real name? Are y’all cousins or something?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AmericanIdiot2 said:

First off, I thought we aren’t supposed to use real names on here and second, how do you know their real name? Are y’all cousins or something?

Some people have met each other at GD or side project events and have formed friendships that way. 

1 hour ago, AmericanIdiot2 said:

For all you know, she could be my great grandmother.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Mike Vargovich

@mikevargovich

·5h

Tickets ON SALE NOW!

@GreenDay

’s #AmericanIdiot opens 9/5 at

@majesticrep

in #DTLV. Purchase before August 25th at (link: http://MajesticRepertory.com) MajesticRepertory.com for the special pre-sale price of $25 and we’ll see you in September!

https://www.facebook.com/events/378510543022309/

Firehouse Brewing Theatre

610 Main St, Rapid City, South Dakota 57701

AMERICAN IDIOT: Auditions
To audition for the Firehouse Brewing Theatre's production of GREEN DAY'S AMERICAN IDIOT, please sign-up for an audition slot below.

Johnny, Tunny and Will struggle to find meaning in a post-9/11 world. When the three disgruntled men flee the constraints of their hometown for the thrills of city life, their paths are quickly estranged when Tunny enters the armed forces, Will is called back home to attend to familial responsibilities, and Johnny's attention becomes divided by a seductive love interest and a hazardous new friendship.

Directed by Jeffrey Alan Smith
Music & Vocal Direction by Vonnie Houchin
Stage Management by Sara Danger Lindholm

Performs: October 18 - November 23, 2019
Friday and Saturday Evening Performances

CASTING
- 10 roles available, seeking a unique variety of high-energy singers, actors, dancers, and musicians.
- All roles will require doubling, except for Johnny and Whatsername.

• 2 weeks later...

@DTLVAlliance

Fans of Green Day won’t want to miss the current production at

@MajesticRep

. The two-time Tony Award-winning musical “American Idiot” takes music from the album with the same name and sets it to a story that follows three men in a post-9/11 world

https://tickets.vendini.com/ticket-software.html?t=tix&e=8ee6329cb8cc5603db272da61558f900&vqitq=e510e4b5-13d2-4f46-ace8-61c760a8da6d&vqitp=c009ee59-969d-435d-b9b4-c59ae898516f&vqitts=1566944383&vqitc=vendini&vqite=itl&vqitrt=Safetynet&vqith=b999f157a1895479c0c591a2a0a4d029

• 2 months later...

Quite a nice article here about how the musical/GD's American Idiot is still relevant today (I think this is from a touring production in Vancouver):

https://www.nsnews.com/entertainment/music/american-idiot-s-message-still-relevant-today-1.23994799?fbclid=IwAR04tHTRKyunov57SWKkkSWM6ZHJ9tNs6VybrHTk5eI9O86VsCtEnNKANd8

American Idiot's message still relevant today

“Summer has come and passed/The innocent can never last/Wake me up when September ends.” – Green Day, “Wake Me Up When September Ends.”

It was a humbler time, sort of.

Michael Moore’s Fahrenheit 9/11 was streaming – that is, playing – in movie theatres around the world; People could be seen dancing and grooving armed with their fourth generation iPods as the white buds effortlessly dangled from their ears, much like the famous two-tone commercials; The Red Sox shook off Bambino’s curse and won the World Series for the first time in 86 years; And in Canada, the softwood lumber dispute continued unabated.

The year was 2004.

Amid all the celebrity gossip, foreign affairs jockeying, and technological hoopla of the time – Myspace soon became the biggest social network ever, before being harshly supplanted – a veteran band was about to unleash their first fully-fledged punk rock opera. Somehow, it ended up being exactly what people needed to hear, even if they didn’t know it at the time.

Green Day put out American Idiot on Sept. 20, 2004. A concept album about an elusive “Jesus of Suburbia,” the record follows a cast of characters as they navigate the lower-middle class doldrums of suburban America. The spectre of the invasion of Iraq, mass surveillance, teenage ennui, and the presidency of George W. Bush weighs heavily on the album and its sociopolitical outlook. Is the president the titular “American Idiot,” or are we all guilty of such transgressions?

Not surprisingly, the album was adapted into a highly successful stage musical five years later. The former Broadway production has been touring the world regularly ever since. Starting next week, it’ll be showing in North Vancouver.

But while the performance is still rooted in the decade in which it was first conceived, it hasn’t been a stretch to make the show applicable for 2019 audiences, according to director Richard Berg.

“I’m sad to say that we didn’t have to do much to make it relevant for 2019 audiences,” says Berg. “I wish with all my might that we did look back at 2004 and the president that the U.S. had then and could say, ‘Lucky we got past that.’ But unfortunately, it seems more often than not we look at that and go, ‘Well, maybe that wasn’t so bad after all.’”

While the story itself is not overtly political, the setting of the story is, says Berg. Much like the original production, the stage backdrop will be punctuated with various media images to lend the show a sense of time and place – and the requisite panic that comes from being inundated with information. The images this time around will be from the last few years, however, says Berg, and will include scenes of political pundits talking about how Donald Trump could “never win” to scenes of Trump leading the U.S. government now.

“But also, things like the climate action march and weather events and school shootings and all the things that are so messed up in our world right now and have young people so worried about their future,” adds Berg.

A six-piece band will help deliver the hybrid vibe of theatre production-meets-rock concert that Berg is going for, he says.

“The focus that I’ve had in rehearsal is really putting the rock concert first,” he says. “It feels like a rock concert experience that then has a theatrical story being told within it.”

Audiences can expect to hear every song from the American Idiot album, as well as many cuts from Green Day’s follow-up record, 21st Century Breakdown.

“Anyone that has any recollection … of the original album I think will not be disappointed at all. The music sounds amazing and feels like it did when I listened to it in 2004,” says Berg. “For people that don’t know it and are coming to it because they like theatre, not because they’re Green Day fans, they’ll be pleasantly surprised at how theatrical the music is.”

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...