Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

The Religion Thread

• Please log in to reply
2804 replies to this topic

Not Anyone.

Not Anyone.
  • Ringleader of the Tormentors

• 13,891 posts
  • Joined Aug 19, 2013
  • 14,453 rep

why should he be a knob? do you know if he didn't thank the medical staff? he's actually hugging one of them in the fucking picture.

what a knob, is helping people in africa and then thanks the god he believes in, because he didn't die of a desease he caught there. outrageous and what a terrible human being.

i find it hilarious how people act like every christian person is actually offending them with their belief. they are more intolerant than many religious people.

He thanked God for curing his disease, but why didn't he mention anything about God giving him the disease in the first place?

DTH

DTH
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts
  • Joined Apr 02, 2012
  • 492 rep

However, I don't think it's a coincidence that he got the best care any Ebola patient has ever had and recovered.

of course it isn't. but i don't see anything condemnable about it. i would find it immoral if he didn't get it, to be honest.

Certified Nimrod

Certified Nimrod
  • The Real Adam

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,828 posts
  • Joined Jan 26, 2013
  • 1,922 rep

of course it isn't. but i don't see anything condemnable about it. i would find it immoral if he didn't get it, to be honest.

I think that's a fair answer, even though I'm an atheist. He has every right to thank his god. The dude is extremely brave and kind for his work in Africa, as well.

DTH

DTH
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts
  • Joined Apr 02, 2012
  • 492 rep

He thanked God for curing his disease, but why didn't he mention anything about God giving him the disease in the first place?

http://en.wikipedia....on_(psychology)

but you also don't know that. as far as i'm concerned many christians believe that bad things happen for a reason as well (i dont't believe that, just for the record). it helps them to deal with pain they experience in their life. it helps them to live their life positively and without despair. and who are we to condemn something which helps somebody with his biggest struggles? i'm actually happy for people if they have something like that. i don't want to take that away from someone. if its helping them and not hurting anyone else, why not?

Not Anyone.

Not Anyone.

• 13,891 posts
  • Joined Aug 19, 2013
  • 14,453 rep

http://en.wikipedia....on_(psychology)

but you also don't know that. as far as i'm concerned many christians believe that bad things happen for a reason as well (i dont't believe that, just for the record). it helps them to deal with pain they experience in their life. it helps them to live their life positively and without despair. and who are we to condemn something which helps somebody with his biggest struggles? i'm actually happy for people if they have something like that. i don't want to take that away from someone. if its helping them and not hurting anyone else, why not?

Well yeah, if it's helping him and not harming anyone else I totally agree with that. The world's a tough place and if something helps an individual then so be it. I understand attribution having studied it at college, but I just don't understand the belief that God didn't give him the illness but did cure it, as opposed to medicine. It comes across like God can only be responsible for good things, and is a bit too convenient. Again, I'm not trying to take anything away from anybody, I just want to understand.

• Certified Nimrod likes this

DTH

DTH
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts
  • Joined Apr 02, 2012
  • 492 rep

It comes across like God can only be responsible for good things, and is a bit too convenient.

but how does it come across like that? just because no paper wrote about it? you can't look in his head. don't get yourself caught up over one sentence he said.

for further explanation: chance is responsible if you get in a car accident where you don't have any fault. and by chance you survive it. by chance you die.

now someone with the believe that god controls such events, god is responsible instead of chance. there is no chance to them. yet they don't claim to understand it. god is bigger than them and what happens because of him is incomprehensible to humans. now if you survive a heavy car accident wouldn't you say "i was lucky"? by saying that you are thanking: chance. it's the same he does, just with god.

of course there are others, far more idiotic concepts out there. like the "catastrophes are a punishment from god" thing. we don't have to argue here. that believe is dangerous and bullshit.

and i know christians who believe that god doesn't have any control over our lifes. hes more like a guide or consultant to them.

Not Anyone.

Not Anyone.

• 13,891 posts
  • Joined Aug 19, 2013
  • 14,453 rep

but how does it come across like that? just because no paper wrote about it? you can't look in his head. don't get yourself caught up over one sentence he said.

for further explanation: chance is responsible if you get in a car accident where you don't have any fault. and by chance you survive it. by chance you die.

now someone with the believe that god controls such events, god is responsible instead of chance. there is no chance to them. yet they don't claim to understand it. god is bigger than them and what happens because of him is incomprehensible to humans.

of course there are others, far more idiotic concepts out there. like the "catastrophes are a punishment from god" thing. we don't have to argue here. that believe is dangerous and bullshit.

and i know christians who believe that god doesn't have any control over our lifes. hes more like a guide or consultant to them.

It comes across like that because to believe that God is responsible for everything would mean that he's responsible for the illness and the cure. So there's gratitude that he provided the cure, but not many believers seem to stop to question why he'd cause it in the first place. The "God works in mysterious ways" argument seems like a cop out, because it implies that one should be grateful for everything and totally disregard the billions of needless deaths the belief suggests God is responsible for. What's meant to be so damaging about at least asking why?

As for the rest of your post, that makes sense.

Certified Nimrod

Certified Nimrod
  • The Real Adam

• 3,828 posts
  • Joined Jan 26, 2013
  • 1,922 rep

I'm pretty sure God being all-powerful is an essential part of Christianity. How can they just take that out?

DTH

DTH
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts
  • Joined Apr 02, 2012
  • 492 rep

It comes across like that because to believe that God is responsible for everything would mean that he's responsible for the illness and the cure. So there's gratitude that he provided the cure, but not many believers seem to stop to question why he'd cause it in the first place. The "God works in mysterious ways" argument seems like a cop out, because it implies that one should be grateful for everything and totally disregard the billions of needless deaths the belief suggests God is responsible for.

and because of the "god works in mysterious ways" argument seeming like a cop out to you, you don't have that belief. me neither. but i can accept it as a philosophical explanation for their belief. i don't have to insult them or ridicule them for it. to them it is not a cop out but KEY in their belief. they are strong in their belief because they find all the suffering terrible and needless just like us, but yet still think there are reasons for god to allow it to happen, which no human can understand. this is what makes god - god: being far from human comprehension.

but as i said, not even all christian people think like that.

Not Anyone.

Not Anyone.

• 13,891 posts
  • Joined Aug 19, 2013
  • 14,453 rep

i don't have to insult them or ridicule them for it.

Neither do I. I hope I haven't come across that way.

DTH

DTH
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts
  • Joined Apr 02, 2012
  • 492 rep

I'm pretty sure God being all-powerful is an essential part of Christianity. How can they just take that out?

you'd have to ask them. they probably like and believe in the majority of the other essential parts of christianity. if they still choose to call themself christians, why not?

Certified Nimrod

Certified Nimrod
  • The Real Adam

• 3,828 posts
  • Joined Jan 26, 2013
  • 1,922 rep

My mom is making me go to youth group tonight. The lesson? How we can know there is a God. This should be fun. All it's going to do is piss me off on top of the stress from homework I don't understand and being worried about my depressed friend.

• The Disappearing Boy likes this

The Disappearing Boy

The Disappearing Boy
  • British Idiot.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,672 posts
  • Joined Jan 02, 2007
  • 3,112 rep

My mom is making me go to youth group tonight. The lesson? How we can know there is a God. This should be fun. All it's going to do is piss me off on top of the stress from homework I don't understand and being worried about my depressed friend.

"Welcome to tonight's lesson, 'How we can know there is a God'. We cant, there isn't one. I now conclude this week's lesson. See you next time!"

Now that I've done the lesson, does that excuse you from going? :lol:

Certified Nimrod

Certified Nimrod
  • The Real Adam

• 3,828 posts
  • Joined Jan 26, 2013
  • 1,922 rep

Now that I've done the lesson, does that excuse you from going? :lol:

I wish. I'm considering taking a novel and hiding out in the bathroom for the whole time.

• The Disappearing Boy likes this

Certified Nimrod

Certified Nimrod
  • The Real Adam

• 3,828 posts
  • Joined Jan 26, 2013
  • 1,922 rep

I recorded the whole lesson with Voice Memos. I'm sure you guys will enjoy listening to it when I post it (tomorrow hopefully). :lol:

• The Disappearing Boy and Darth Praxus like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users