Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

The Religion Thread

• Please log in to reply
2721 replies to this topic

The Disappearing Boy

The Disappearing Boy
  • British Idiot.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,160 posts
  • Joined Jan 02, 2007
  • 2,592 rep

That's one religion I can go along with :happy:

• Pat1308 likes this

Todd

Todd
  • Sweet and Sour Children

• 11,578 posts
  • Joined Mar 07, 2012
  • 5,143 rep
I went to church once for a baptism for a family member, and the preist dude was talking about how great Henry Ford was, especially his anti-semitism. I hope I misheard him
  • Certified Nimrod likes this

Emilie.

Emilie.
  • That's a smashing blouse you have on

• 13,465 posts
  • Joined Jun 18, 2010
  • 4,111 rep

We once had this Christian speaker dude come to our school to do a retreat day. And the teachers were all really excited because he was well known around Brisbane for his retreats. So halfway through we started talking about Jesus and why he was special. Then he started going off on this tangent when someone asked if he was sad about Jesus being crucified

He started yelling at us about how Jesus was (for his time) a bad person for telling the Good Samaritan story to kids, because of  purity laws at the time, and that by encouraging kids to do what the Samaritan did he was encouraging them to break the law. Then he said that meant that telling kids to touch dirty people was like him telling us to go steal cars, and that it was irresponsible of him and Pontius Pilate was right to have him crucified.

And we look behind us and all the teachers are looking at him gobsmacked :lol:

• Certified Nimrod likes this

Pat1308

Pat1308
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts
  • Joined Mar 12, 2014
  • 313 rep

That's one religion I can go along with :happy:

Yeah, no meetings, no anything - just Solitaire or whatever computer game, and even then that's not an obligation. :P

I went to church once for a baptism for a family member, and the preist dude was talking about how great Henry Ford was, especially his anti-semitism. I hope I misheard him

Are you sure that wasn't a KKK meeting? :ermm:

We once had this Christian speaker dude come to our school to do a retreat day. And the teachers were all really excited because he was well known around Brisbane for his retreats. So halfway through we started talking about Jesus and why he was special. Then he started going off on this tangent when someone asked if he was sad about Jesus being crucified

He started yelling at us about how Jesus was (for his time) a bad person for telling the Good Samaritan story to kids, because of  purity laws at the time, and that by encouraging kids to do what the Samaritan did he was encouraging them to break the law. Then he said that meant that telling kids to touch dirty people was like him telling us to go steal cars, and that it was irresponsible of him and Pontius Pilate was right to have him crucified.

And we look behind us and all the teachers are looking at him gobsmacked :lol:

He's technically right in a sense: Jesus broke cultural expectations of his day by associating with folks like non-Jews, social outcasts and women.

• Not Anyone. likes this

Not Anyone.

Not Anyone.
  • Akshat Jain's Comma Dealer

• 11,532 posts
  • Joined Aug 19, 2013
  • 11,455 rep

Well, this is... interesting. Pro-lifer sues health clinic for not hiring her after she wouldn't do the job she applied for. Basically she applied to work in a health clinic, with a primary focus on assigning birth control. She asked if it could be worked around due to religious objections to birth control (such as by using pathology instead!) and when she was turned down for the job she decided to sue the company for discrimination, because "anything less than hiring her and working around her moral objections to the job was tantamount to religious persecution."

Overjoyyed

Overjoyyed
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts
  • Joined Oct 10, 2012
  • 513 rep

Well, this is... interesting. Pro-lifer sues health clinic for not hiring her after she wouldn't do the job she applied for. Basically she applied to work in a health clinic, with a primary focus on assigning birth control. She asked if it could be worked around due to religious objections to birth control (such as by using pathology instead!) and when she was turned down for the job she decided to sue the company for discrimination, because "anything less than hiring her and working around her moral objections to the job was tantamount to religious persecution."

it seems like she really just applied for the job to sue them and make a shitstorm about it. Extremely ridiculous
  • Hermione likes this

The Disappearing Boy

The Disappearing Boy
  • British Idiot.

• 15,160 posts
  • Joined Jan 02, 2007
  • 2,592 rep

I'm pretty certain you can't sue someone for not hiring you - everyone would be doing it otherwise!

Hermione

Hermione
  • Soggy Dream

• 26,705 posts
  • Joined Jan 09, 2008
  • 9,385 rep

Lol! Sounds like a scam artist

Pat1308

Pat1308
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts
  • Joined Mar 12, 2014
  • 313 rep

Okay. Not exactly a religion-related question, but why exactly do you people so like to sue the hell out of each other? Is it part of your culture or something? =/

Darth Praxus

Darth Praxus
  • Blasphemy Chickenstrips

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,066 posts
  • Joined Sep 27, 2012
  • 2,865 rep

Okay. Not exactly a religion-related question, but why exactly do you people so like to sue the hell out of each other? Is it part of your culture or something? =/

Probably the incredible self-entitlement that's bred into all of us. America, fuck yeah.
  • Pat1308 likes this

Minigun

Minigun
  • Alone + Easy Target

• 3,250 posts
  • Joined Nov 04, 2011
  • 1,256 rep

Okay, so after a while of pretty much being an atheist I've found God I guess. I'm still not into organized religion, and I'm still not even sure what exactly God is, but what I am certain of now is that there is some sort of higher power, I'm certain of that now.

• Yussef and Pat1308 like this

Dirntbag

Dirntbag
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,710 posts
  • Joined Jan 15, 2012
  • 2,294 rep

Okay, so after a while of pretty much being an atheist I've found God I guess. I'm still not into organized religion, and I'm still not even sure what exactly God is, but what I am certain of now is that there is some sort of higher power, I'm certain of that now.

Any reason for the sudden change of heart?

Minigun

Minigun
  • Alone + Easy Target

• 3,250 posts
  • Joined Nov 04, 2011
  • 1,256 rep

Any reason for the sudden change of heart?

Well, it kinda started last year around June, but the reasons are corny so I won't say it. lol But in May, I was just constantly thinking about afterlife and stuff and just realized that it would be sad if there was nothing after death. That's not when I started believing though, I was still pretty skeptical until yesterday. I was standing outside and just looking at everything all around me, thinking about all the people in my life, and I just realized that there is something that made this world, there's something that brought these people into my life, ya know. So yeah.

• Yussef, Dirntbag and Pat1308 like this

Sauli

Sauli
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Joined May 24, 2014
  • 374 rep
I don't know, there's some part of me that is kinda spiritual. It may be just my personality, I've never been interested in things you can see or touch so spirituality appeals to me. But my rational side is against it.
And some part of me would love to believe in some kind of God, or something like that, and I used to read the Bible when I was like 11, not because my family told me to, or was religious at all because the world seemed so cruel -and it is cruel- that I wanted, at the age of 11-12 to believe that there's some bigger meaning behing it all.

Anyway, to this day I sometimes read the Bible, and other religious texts, not because I believe in them, but because they interest me. But the point is, the world is cruel were there god or not, and all the major religions seem to be fucked up and badly. Its funny what people can do when they have power and also when they see themselves as the only possessors of the only truth. (Or other people see them as ones)

I don't know if some of those religional leaders genuinely believe they are doing good or if they only pretend. The word doublethink comes to mind. However, I guess I make no new points and probably my thoughts are quite derivative so whatever.
  • Pat1308 likes this

Minigun

Minigun
  • Alone + Easy Target

• 3,250 posts
  • Joined Nov 04, 2011
  • 1,256 rep

Though still, I'm not a religious nut. I have no desire to go to church, I may read the Bible sometime (I've actually never read it, because before I believed it was all fiction). I won't love God more than anything else, I can't even see him so why would I put him above everything else that I CAN see? God will not come before my loved ones on earth, they come first.

I'm also not sure how much of a hand God has with this world. I believe he has something to do with what's going on, and I also believe that he'll give a helping hand sometimes and that he'll answer some prayers. But we were given free will, so I believe that for the most part he just leaves us humans to our own devices and just gives out a few pointers to lead us in the right direction or whatever. So I believe in free will and fate; he lets us do pretty much what we want, but he also helps us realize our fate I think.

Advertising

Darth Praxus

Darth Praxus

• 2,066 posts
  • Joined Sep 27, 2012
  • 2,865 rep

"I was driving and out of nowhere God told me that He would take it from here and I let go of the wheel and let Him take it.” And then God knocked over a motorcyclist.

• The Disappearing Boy, Hermione and Not Anyone. like this

Not Anyone.

Not Anyone.
  • Akshat Jain's Comma Dealer

• 11,532 posts
  • Joined Aug 19, 2013
  • 11,455 rep

"I was driving and out of nowhere God told me that He would take it from here and I let go of the wheel and let Him take it.” And then God knocked over a motorcyclist.

God doesn't like motorcyclists. He associates them with the Hell's Angels.
  • Darth Praxus likes this

Pat1308

Pat1308
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts
  • Joined Mar 12, 2014
  • 313 rep

God doesn't like motorcyclists. He associates them with the Hell's Angels.

Well, who exactly would like to drive a motorcycle if you got this big-ass ring tied behind your back? ;) No, the gods actually prefer cars.
  • Not Anyone. and Sauli like this

Doris The Spider

Doris The Spider
  • Who-ligan

• 2,092 posts
  • Joined Jun 13, 2010
  • 535 rep

I have been trying to go back to Church. But I probably won't be going every week for a while. Actually this week I went and they had a missionary from Liberia there. He said some pretty interesting things. But anyway, I just feel like after 2 to 3 years of not going much it's time to try to go back.

• Pat1308 likes this

Pat1308

Pat1308
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts
  • Joined Mar 12, 2014
  • 313 rep

Ladies and gents, this I believe shows why the Eastern Orthodox were probably right in sticking with icons.

http://www.cracked.c...-paintings.html

• Darth Praxus and Sauli like this

Sauli

Sauli
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Joined May 24, 2014
  • 374 rep

Ladies and gents, this I believe shows why the Eastern Orthodox were probably right in sticking with icons.

http://www.cracked.c...-paintings.html

You are awesome.
  • Pat1308 likes this

Darth Praxus

Darth Praxus

• 2,066 posts
  • Joined Sep 27, 2012
  • 2,865 rep

I'm loving the Satanic Temple right now.

original.jpg

• Dirntbag likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users