Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

The Religion Thread

• Please log in to reply
2540 replies to this topic

Darth Praxus

Darth Praxus
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,433 posts
  • Joined Sep 27, 2012
  • 1,938 rep

Because it's a christian holiday. Like as Ramadan Bajram is Muslim and so on.

You just missed my point entirely.

Steven Seagull

Steven Seagull
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • Joined Dec 02, 2012
  • 554 rep

You just missed my point entirely.

Why would secularists even celebrate religious holiday?

Darth Praxus

Darth Praxus
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,433 posts
  • Joined Sep 27, 2012
  • 1,938 rep

We wouldn't. The point is if the Christians can take a Roman holiday which was not intended for the worship of the Christian God and make it about Him, why can't we secularists take it and make it about no God at all? Which, you will have noticed, is exactly what's happened. We aren't celebrating Jesus's birth, we're celebrating being with friends and family and exchanging gifts. And Santa Claus. Santa Claus is key. :P

Steven Seagull

Steven Seagull
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • Joined Dec 02, 2012
  • 554 rep

We wouldn't. The point is if the Christians can take a Roman holiday which was not intended for the worship of the Christian God and make it about Him, why can't we secularists take it and make it about no God at all? Which, you will have noticed, is exactly what's happened. We aren't celebrating Jesus's birth, we're celebrating being with friends and family and exchanging gifts. And Santa Claus. Santa Claus is key. :P

Oh God no. Leave people who belive in God to have their holiday and don't use them to have a leisure day.

Darth Praxus

Darth Praxus
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,433 posts
  • Joined Sep 27, 2012
  • 1,938 rep

Oh God no. Leave people who belive in God to have their holiday and don't use them to have a leisure day.

Just as soon as we secularists can have a holiday that's nationally recognized and allows us to get a day off. Until then, I'm sorry, we'll continue to celebrate our secular version of Christmas.

Hermione

Hermione
  • Soggy Dream

• 25,700 posts
  • Joined Jan 09, 2008
  • 8,492 rep

As if people who believe in God don't also get a leisure day. Why not just let everyone have a day off and allow them to celebrate/enjoy it however they want whether that involves religion or not? How does that hurt anyone?

Pat1308

Pat1308
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • Joined Mar 12, 2014
  • 147 rep

We Christians can have our Christ's-Mass (unless you belong to a denomination that don't celebrate/condemn the holiday), other people can have Christmas. Everybody wins. ;)

Dirntbag

Dirntbag
  • Dominated Love Slave

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,373 posts
  • Joined Jan 15, 2012
  • 1,946 rep

I think Christmas has become quite removed from Christianity and things, now it's just a time to have fun regardless of your religion. It's become a commercial and universal holiday, and an excuse to enjoy winter by spending time with your family. I think that as long as people don't use the day to celebrate something completely contradictory and in spite of Christianity (which wouldn't be cool at any time of year) then whatever people choose to do on Christmas is fine. 

Rush guy

Rush guy
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts
  • Joined May 12, 2011
  • 88 rep

We have family members that are religious.  The time off is to spend time with them rather than observe something religious.  Even when I was a Christian, it was a time I could get together with my family, not so much a time to go to church to praise God.  Family time is family time.  That's a fact :P and a tautology 

Pat1308

Pat1308
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • Joined Mar 12, 2014
  • 147 rep

We have family members that are religious.  The time off is to spend time with them rather than observe something religious.  Even when I was a Christian, it was a time I could get together with my family, not so much a time to go to church to praise God.  Family time is family time.  That's a fact :P and a tautology

Hey, at least you're doing something nice. Japanese Christmas, on the other hand...

Certified Nimrod

Certified Nimrod
  • I swallow for Sarcasm

• 2,851 posts
  • Joined Jan 26, 2013
  • 1,338 rep

How do you guys not see that Seagull is trolling.

Céadóg

Céadóg
  • http://ask.fm/ceadog

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,604 posts
  • Joined Sep 11, 2012
  • 16,261 rep

Sometimes people are so shit at trolling it's impossible to tell if they just have dumb opinions or are just shit trollers. 

See for reference:

tug5eR1_60383369-4885-41e9-9d5c-d6fa13b9

Lady Nightlife

Lady Nightlife
  • Come Along, Pond

• 8,855 posts
  • Joined Dec 29, 2012
  • 8,197 rep

I found out what that weird group I went to was, because they tried to recruit my brother's girlfriend, too! The same girl, Erica, who tried to brainwash me got my brother's gf's email out of her and was emailing her and she had "WMSCOG" in her email signature. A quick google search revealed that the WMSCOG (World Mission Society Church of God) is indeed the group that we encountered and it is considered a cult group. Apparently they do these fasts for two or three days that involve no food OR water and they even force children and infants to participate in the fasts, fucking ridiculous. I found a bunch of articles written by people who have escaped the cult and it's really interesting stuff. All of the things I read were written by people who got sucked in but were not very educated on the Bible/theologically grounded. I'm really tempted to go back (knowing what I know now) and to argue it out with them. Obviously I won't change any minds but I'm interested to see how they react to a person who's not initiated knowing the things that I know.

Here's a link to an account written by a former member of the cult, it's completely fascinating.

http://www.examining...i-got-involved/

Pat1308

Pat1308
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • Joined Mar 12, 2014
  • 147 rep

I found out what that weird group I went to was, because they tried to recruit my brother's girlfriend, too! The same girl, Erica, who tried to brainwash me got my brother's gf's email out of her and was emailing her and she had "WMSCOG" in her email signature. A quick google search revealed that the WMSCOG (World Mission Society Church of God) is indeed the group that we encountered and it is considered a cult group. Apparently they do these fasts for two or three days that involve no food OR water and they even force children and infants to participate in the fasts, fucking ridiculous. I found a bunch of articles written by people who have escaped the cult and it's really interesting stuff. All of the things I read were written by people who got sucked in but were not very educated on the Bible/theologically grounded. I'm really tempted to go back (knowing what I know now) and to argue it out with them. Obviously I won't change any minds but I'm interested to see how they react to a person who's not initiated knowing the things that I know.

Here's a link to an account written by a former member of the cult, it's completely fascinating.

http://www.examining...i-got-involved/

I'll just advise you this: don't. Not only you won't change their minds, you're just exposing yourself to them by coming back - considering cultists are very clever people.

Rush guy

Rush guy
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts
  • Joined May 12, 2011
  • 88 rep

Even if he is, none of the opinions he's expressed are too far beyond what I've seen in people I know.

Tongue in cheek comment, serious responses.  What can you do, it's the religion thread? :P

Advertising

Yussef

Yussef
  • love infinitely

• 17,200 posts
  • Joined Jun 22, 2006
  • 4,390 rep

Because it's a christian holiday. Like as Ramadan Bajram is Muslim and so on.

looool bajram

Darth Praxus

Darth Praxus
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,433 posts
  • Joined Sep 27, 2012
  • 1,938 rep

Happy birthday, Hitch. Thanks eternally for pulling me into the light.

http://youtu.be/8pFgS1wgwAo?t=12m58s

Not Anyone.

Not Anyone.
  • Comma Chameleon

• 7,480 posts
  • Joined Aug 19, 2013
  • 7,252 rep

The Daily Mail have done it again, unsurprisingly. Apparently, "This new breed of militant atheists are as intolerant as any religious fundamentalists." Well then.

Zack.

Zack.
  • Resident Digod

• 3,426 posts
  • Joined Apr 17, 2010
  • 1,478 rep

Nigga I ain't clickin' that. They don't deserve my ad money.

Darth Praxus

Darth Praxus
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,433 posts
  • Joined Sep 27, 2012
  • 1,938 rep

fuck-daily-mail.jpg

Hermione

Hermione
  • Soggy Dream

• 25,700 posts
  • Joined Jan 09, 2008
  • 8,492 rep

They do have a point, I mean being a bit condescending in a debate and committing acts of war and terrorism are pretty similar

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users