Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
We're having a photography contest where you guys send in a photo that describes what that time of year means to you. Only one week left to enter.

Photo

The Religion Thread

• Please log in to reply
3068 replies to this topic

The Disappearing Boy

The Disappearing Boy
  • Dissappearingness Nickness

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,504 posts
  • Joined Jan 02, 2007
  • 4,024 rep
Just to say I've not read that article, and I've not kept up with Dawkins' or Harris' stuff for a couple of years, so I don't know what they've been saying recently, but I don't really have a problem with Islamophobia IF it's included as part of a more general 'religiophobia' - i.e. you hate all other religions equally as well. I assume that that would apply to Dawkins, Harris and the others. Let's not forget that the extreme parts of Islam has committed some of the worst, most vile acts of evil in recent times (I'm not saying other religions are any better), and I can't really blame people for reacting to that. They could be doing it in a worse way, after all.

Dirntbag

Dirntbag
  • Unsuspicious Individual

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,228 posts
  • Joined Jan 15, 2012
  • 3,134 rep

Just to say I've not read that article, and I've not kept up with Dawkins' or Harris' stuff for a couple of years, so I don't know what they've been saying recently, but I don't really have a problem with Islamophobia IF it's included as part of a more general 'religiophobia' - i.e. you hate all other religions equally as well. I assume that that would apply to Dawkins, Harris and the others. Let's not forget that the extreme parts of Islam has committed some of the worst, most vile acts of evil in recent times (I'm not saying other religions are any better), and I can't really blame people for reacting to that. They could be doing it in a worse way, after all.

I get where you're coming from; it's sort of the same principle that lets shows like South Park get away with all their questionable jokes - they don't target any group in particular, they spend an equal amount of time making jokes about everyone, so it doesn't seem as bad. I don't think it's okay for anyone ever to be prejudiced against any religion, though. Being prejudiced against all religions, I think, just strengthens this arrogant atheist profile; an atheist who sees themselves as somehow above anyone practicing a religion because of their superior intellect or whatever dumb thing they come up with. It's really harmful and one of the things I dislike most about atheists as a whole.

• The Disappearing Boy, Kayfabe, Pat1308 and 1 other like this

Certified Nimrod

Certified Nimrod
  • Certified NimMod

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • Joined Jan 26, 2013
  • 2,507 rep

Anyway, it is clear that just like every ideology, atheism can be used wrong.

Atheism isn't an ideology. It's the lack of one.

Kayfabe

Kayfabe
  • syllables, killaholic

• 14,646 posts
  • Joined Jun 20, 2009
  • 3,156 rep

Atheism isn't an ideology. It's the lack of one.

I've been tugged back and forth on this one. Atheism is "by definition" a lack of religion (not necessarily ideology aha) but then someone said to me, considering the way this lack of belief makes people behave in given situations, would it not then be fair to consider it kind of belief system? And I was like ahhhh but hmmmmmm 

• Pat1308 likes this

Certified Nimrod

Certified Nimrod
  • Certified NimMod

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • Joined Jan 26, 2013
  • 2,507 rep

I've been tugged back and forth on this one. Atheism is "by definition" a lack of religion (not necessarily ideology aha) but then someone said to me, considering the way this lack of belief makes people behave in given situations, would it not then be fair to consider it kind of belief system? And I was like ahhhh but hmmmmmm 

Ideology definition: a system of ideas and ideals, especially one that forms the basis of economic or political theory and policy.

Atheism is not a system of anything. It doesn't make anyone act a certain way. Each individual atheist make their own individual decisions.

If atheism is a belief system, then every religious person also has multiple beliefs systems for all the other religions in existence that they don't accept.

• Hermione and Darth Praxus like this

Hermione

Hermione
  • Soggy Dream

• 27,891 posts
  • Joined Jan 09, 2008
  • 10,593 rep

POPULAR

I get where you're coming from; it's sort of the same principle that lets shows like South Park get away with all their questionable jokes - they don't target any group in particular, they spend an equal amount of time making jokes about everyone, so it doesn't seem as bad. I don't think it's okay for anyone ever to be prejudiced against any religion, though. Being prejudiced against all religions, I think, just strengthens this arrogant atheist profile; an atheist who sees themselves as somehow above anyone practicing a religion because of their superior intellect or whatever dumb thing they come up with. It's really harmful and one of the things I dislike most about atheists as a whole.

I think there's a difference between being against religions themselves and being prejudiced against religious people. A religion is really just a set of ideas, and if someone thinks they're harmful ideas or that they don't have merit I see no problem with saying so, as long as you don't then take the ignorant step of thinking anyone who believes those ideas is automatically bad in some way or less worthy of respect. You can respect a person, and their right to have their own beliefs, without respecting what they believe.

• Fuzz, Kayfabe, Dirntbag and 3 others like this

Kayfabe

Kayfabe
  • syllables, killaholic

• 14,646 posts
  • Joined Jun 20, 2009
  • 3,156 rep

Ideology definition: a system of ideas and ideals, especially one that forms the basis of economic or political theory and policy.

Atheism is not a system of anything. It doesn't make anyone act a certain way. Each individual atheist make their own individual decisions.

If atheism is a belief system, then every religious person also has multiple beliefs systems for all the other religions in existence that they don't accept.

Yeah, you're right. 

• Certified Nimrod likes this

The Disappearing Boy

The Disappearing Boy
  • Dissappearingness Nickness

• 16,504 posts
  • Joined Jan 02, 2007
  • 4,024 rep
So today, the Church of England appointed its first female bishop. I wonder how religious institutions have got away with this for so long? If there were a company, whose policy it was to exclude women from becoming the CEO, they'd be sued immediately - and rightly so, of course. Why is the church different?
  • SaintJimmy13 likes this

SaintJimmy13

SaintJimmy13
  • Dominated Love Slave

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,876 posts
  • Joined Jun 05, 2014
  • 1,595 rep

So today, the Church of England appointed its first female bishop. I wonder how religious institutions have got away with this for so long? If there were a company, whose policy it was to exclude women from becoming the CEO, they'd be sued immediately - and rightly so, of course. Why is the church different?

Because old institutions fear change, and people with the power to make that change fear the backlash of those their predecessors have indoctrinated against it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users