Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
We're having a photography contest where you guys send in a photo that describes what that time of year means to you. Only one week left to enter.

Photo

The Religion Thread

• Please log in to reply
3068 replies to this topic

iLozza!

iLozza!
  • Bite my lip and close my eyes, take me away to paradise.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,296 posts
  • Joined Jun 10, 2008
  • 82 rep
We've got to have one of these again (we don't have one already, right?).

So discuss what you believe in/what you don't believe in or ask questions etc etc. I actually started this thread because I'm watching a documentary on Stone Age life and I was wondering since that man has always believed in a God of some sort, could that possibly mean that there is such thing as God? I'm unsure. I'm also tired. Nothing makes sense.

So yeah lets go smile.gif

Oh and sorry if this has already been done, I really suck at the search tool. sad.gif
  • Jozinbrejl and DannyDirnt like this

Stormy Haze

Stormy Haze
  • Dark Side of the Moon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,519 posts
  • Joined Sep 14, 2010
  • 289 rep
I have been having many doubts about the existence of a God lately... I really don't know what to believe in anymore, IF there's something to believe in at all =/
  • Autumn83 likes this

Izzard

Izzard
  • Simon Says...

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,502 posts
  • Joined Feb 24, 2009
  • 2,019 rep

POPULAR

I believe in God...but I do not follow any religion or bible. I just have a faith that I can't deny or ignore.
  • MrsBillieJoe95, VictimOfMyOwnTime, Cob and 3 others like this

Harriet

Harriet
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,007 posts
  • Joined Apr 29, 2009
  • 193 rep
I was in Brighton yesterday and this guy came up to me and my friends to ask us whether we thought we were gonna go to heaven or hell. He was obviously gonna give us a very long speech about jesus so we all just kinda mumbled an excuse at him and walked off. It was only later when I realised I should have asked him some questions about god. Like he gave us free will so we could choose to worship him, otherwise that love would be worthless because we'd have been forced into it. But if we choose not to, we are punished and sent to hell. I would have liked to see that guy try and explain that. Doesn't sound like and all-loving god to me.

Yussef

Yussef
  • love infinitely

• 17,395 posts
  • Joined Jun 22, 2006
  • 4,699 rep

POPULAR

Atheist.
  • Vesper, Koal Koalson, Akshat and 2 others like this

Vesper

Vesper
  • Outlander

• 18,087 posts
  • Joined Jun 10, 2010
  • 6,719 rep

Atheist.

This.

hellsbells

hellsbells
  • Little One

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Joined Jan 09, 2011
  • 7 rep

POPULAR

I believe that there is a God but,in my opinion, religion is a man made thing.
  • MrsBillieJoe95, Autumn83, VictimOfMyOwnTime and 4 others like this

The Snark

The Snark
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,028 posts
  • Joined Apr 29, 2005
  • 1,006 rep
I was agnostic for a very long time; teetering between not really believing in god, yet wanting there to be an afterlife of some sort. I started reading Anarchy Evolution a few weeks ago and so far what he's written makes complete sense. I now realize that I really don't want there to be an afterlife. Sure, it would be great to see certain people again, but life is hard now as it is. Why would you want to keep it going? Even if it is all peaceful and whatnot...

Therefore, I have recently come out of the athiest closet. :)

Kayfabe

Kayfabe
  • syllables, killaholic

• 14,646 posts
  • Joined Jun 20, 2009
  • 3,155 rep
I don't want to say I'm an atheist because everything else is just as possible.

So, I'm an 'It's Possible'
  • Autumn83 and Cob like this

Izzard

Izzard
  • Simon Says...

• 4,502 posts
  • Joined Feb 24, 2009
  • 2,019 rep

I was in Brighton yesterday and this guy came up to me and my friends to ask us whether we thought we were gonna go to heaven or hell. He was obviously gonna give us a very long speech about jesus so we all just kinda mumbled an excuse at him and walked off. It was only later when I realised I should have asked him some questions about god. Like he gave us free will so we could choose to worship him, otherwise that love would be worthless because we'd have been forced into it. But if we choose not to, we are punished and sent to hell. I would have liked to see that guy try and explain that. Doesn't sound like and all-loving god to me.

No we are not forced to believe but our free will has consequences...and if God is real (I believe he is) why would he choose to bring the people who did not believe in him, have faith in him, or share a bond with him to heaven? (or whatever it is) It wouldn't make sense...and from what I remember God is not only an all loving God but is also a Jealous one. That's the way I see it anyways.

I feel like there is no harm in believing in God...becasue if it is true (which I believe it is) than you will have spent your life believing and than when you die you would be in heaven, but if you didn't you would go to hell. But if it isn't true and all that happens is we are left lying in the ground forever than it won't matter.

Not trying to Preach at all justing giving my opinion.
  • Whatsername546 and Cob like this

Stormy Haze

Stormy Haze
  • Dark Side of the Moon

• 2,519 posts
  • Joined Sep 14, 2010
  • 289 rep

I feel like there is no harm in believing in God...becasue if it is true (which I believe it is) than you will have spent your life believing and than when you die you would be in heaven, but if you didn't you would go to hell. But if it isn't true and all that happens is we are left lying in the ground forever than it won't matter.

This is actually something that's bugging me lately. I keep wondering if I'll go to Hell (if it exists) since I'm having so many doubts about the existence of God =/
  • VictimOfMyOwnTime likes this

Lampostc

Lampostc
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts
  • Joined Aug 31, 2010
  • 26 rep
Atheist. I don't believe in any god, I believe after we die we're dead, life's over and there's no coming back and no heaven to look forward to. But i could be wrong. :unsure:

Kayfabe

Kayfabe
  • syllables, killaholic

• 14,646 posts
  • Joined Jun 20, 2009
  • 3,155 rep

I feel like there is no harm in believing in God...becasue if it is true (which I believe it is) than you will have spent your life believing and than when you die you would be in heaven

S'APPELLE "PASCAL'S WAGER"

Izzard

Izzard
  • Simon Says...

• 4,502 posts
  • Joined Feb 24, 2009
  • 2,019 rep

S'APPELLE "PASCAL'S WAGER"

:thumbsup:

Harriet

Harriet
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,007 posts
  • Joined Apr 29, 2009
  • 193 rep

No we are not forced to believe but our free will has consequences...and if God is real (I believe he is) why would he choose to bring the people who did not believe in him, have faith in him, or share a bond with him to heaven? (or whatever it is) It wouldn't make sense...and from what I remember God is not only an all loving God but is also a Jealous one. That's the way I see it anyways.

Not trying to Preach at all justing giving my opinion.

I was taught in school and in church that god is completely perfect in every way, so how a perfect god could be jealous is something I don't know about. But then, I am talking about god in a christian sense, and since you haven't specified a religion, we could be talking about different things.

I agree that there is no harm in believing in a god, although I do not. I do disagree with a lot of aspects of religion though, especially what some religions teach about the treatment of women and homosexuals. In that way I think that religion can be harmful. Although if there is a god, that would not necessarily be his fault since all of the holy texts were written by humans, as far as I know. So while there is no harm in believing in god, if you've spent your whole life
doing things that your religion tells you to do and it turns out to have been untrue, then you've wasted your life.

Advertising

mechanicalman

mechanicalman
  • 11,274 posts
  • Joined Oct 07, 2006
  • 1,543 rep
I love religion. Viva Cristo Rey!

Izzard

Izzard
  • Simon Says...

• 4,502 posts
  • Joined Feb 24, 2009
  • 2,019 rep

I was taught in school and in church that god is completely perfect in every way, so how a perfect god could be jealous is something I don't know about. But then, I am talking about god in a christian sense, and since you haven't specified a religion, we could be talking about different things.

I agree that there is no harm in believing in a god, although I do not. I do disagree with a lot of aspects of religion though, especially what some religions teach about the treatment of women and homosexuals. In that way I think that religion can be harmful. Although if there is a god, that would not necessarily be his fault since all of the holy texts were written by humans, as far as I know. So while there is no harm in believing in god, if you've spent your whole life
doing things that your religion tells you to do and it turns out to have been untrue, then you've wasted your life.

I don't believe in religion...I just believe in faith.
I don't follow a guide or bible...I feel like church feels like a cult.
  • Autumn83 likes this

Ellenkc

Ellenkc
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,008 posts
  • Joined May 23, 2010
  • 363 rep

This is actually something that's bugging me lately. I keep wondering if I'll go to Hell (if it exists) since I'm having so many doubts about the existence of God http://www.greendaycommunity.org/Forum/p...

If God is something that would send you to hell because you had a few doubts over it's existence (which you have been given pretty much zero proof of, religion is pretty much based on blind faith), why would you bother worshiping it, clearly it'd be a right bastard? There is absolutely nothing wrong with having doubts about your religion, it's healthy and advisable. Question everything, especially things that have such a great influence and power over people. If you choose to go down the religious root and feel bad about questioning your God (which you shouldn't), I'm pretty sure confession absolves any 'sin' you've committed.

I'm an atheist. I used to say agnostic, but I'm pretty okay with the idea of 'eternal nothingness', it's not like I'll be aware of it.
  • The brink of your vision, dumb shiny bitch and Stormy Haze like this

Ellenkc

Ellenkc
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,008 posts
  • Joined May 23, 2010
  • 363 rep
I'm just gonna put "Sorry double post" in my sig now, this fucking computer I swear... :runaround:

Izzard

Izzard
  • Simon Says...

• 4,502 posts
  • Joined Feb 24, 2009
  • 2,019 rep
Yeah mang I question shit alllll the time... hence the reason I don't believe in religion. I think you need to be free to live your life...just live it truthfully...don't just be an ass for the sake of being an ass, don't just believe in God becasue your parents tell you too, don't just choose not to becasue your friends think it's 'not cool' just do what feels right to you.

gloria123

gloria123
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,378 posts
  • Joined Nov 15, 2010
  • 447 rep
i think people just use god as a way of explaining their problem. if they didn't like the way something turned out its all gods fault, or in judism its that if something bad happens gods just testing your faith in him.
i have this teacher that is very into how god must have written the torah and how the jews are the chosen nation and all that crap!
i believe there is a god but i dont have much faith in him
  • Autumn83 likes this

lastnightonGDA

lastnightonGDA
  • splosher

• 3,117 posts
  • Joined Jun 16, 2010
  • 991 rep
Nihilism ftw :cool:
  • Remy likes this

Hermione

Hermione
  • Soggy Dream

• 27,885 posts
  • Joined Jan 09, 2008
  • 10,583 rep
I'm an atheist

Holly

Holly
  • I Still Believe.

• 4,600 posts
  • Joined Jul 03, 2005
  • 480 rep
I wish I could believe in God, I often think how reassuring it must be to have that kinda of faith in your life, but I just can't. On the other hand I'm pleased that I don't have those boundaries that could cause me to not live my life how I want. I watched Paul at the cinema today, I love the part when the girl realises there is no God and does all the things she has always wanted to but couldn't because they were against her religion, it just demonstrates that people are holding back on what they want to do because of a God that they can't even be certain is real.

I find it so difficult to understand how the majority of the human race can possibly believe in a God, the whole idea of it just seems impossible to me. I went to a Christian primary school and so spent my childhood singing about God, praying and going to church etc. but I can't remember ever actually believing in it.

Pop Punk Princess

Pop Punk Princess
  • Chad the Horker

• 3,235 posts
  • Joined Jun 05, 2007
  • 96 rep
I'm not sure what I am anymore. I don't know exactly what I believe. I think I believe in God, but I'm not sure. Yes, I know that sounds like I'm agnostic, but I'm not quite... Anyway, religion really bothers me. My family is Christian. They don't bother anybody about it, and for everybody it's more of a personal thing. We don't go to church or anything like that. So yeah, like I said, I'm still trying to figure out what I believe. Blah blah blah.

Izzard

Izzard
  • Simon Says...

• 4,502 posts
  • Joined Feb 24, 2009
  • 2,019 rep
I love the impossibility of it. It's so big and scary and unknown...I love the un knowing, I like being able to just believe and not be afraid to live my life and make mistakes, after all we're all human and regardless of what we believe we're all going to make mistakes. I've never really had a father, and it may sound stupid, but my 'relationship' with God feels like a father daughter relationship, sometimes I get pissed off at him, I know I disappoint him sometimes, sometimes we go weeks with out contact, sometimes I feel like letting go and running away from him but in the end I feel Loved, protected, forgiven and listened too. I don't care if it sounds crazy, it's gotten me through so many hard times in my life. I went through a while of vocally denying it, trying to convince my self that it isn't real. But I've overcome so much shit and hardships that I know I couldn;t have done by my self.

I do think putting boundaries and walls and rules around everything just sets you up to fail, I think people need to live knowing it's ok to mess up, knowing that you are going to mess up.

But like I said I refuse to follow any religion...and I don't believe all the bull shit about it being wrong to be Gay or Lesbian, having sex, getting an abortion, having kids before marriage or anything like that.

Marlee

Marlee
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,141 posts
  • Joined Jun 10, 2010
  • 546 rep
I'm Lutheran

I do believe in God, but I do understand people's doubts. All religions take a leap of faith.

Amber.

Amber.
  • Brat

• PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • Joined Jan 20, 2011
  • 33 rep
I guess I'm somewhat agnostic.

I mean, I do believe there's probably some kind of greater power out there, but sometimes I'm not so sure that it's a "god."

And sometimes I wonder if all this religion stuff is maniuplated in some sort of way to get people to believe in their faith rather than someone else's.

:unsure:

* Sorry if someone said something like this; I only scrolled through a few pages.

Vanessa

Vanessa
  • Who?

• 10,087 posts
  • Joined Apr 28, 2006
  • 106 rep
I'm about as atheistic as you can get.

Izzard

Izzard
  • Simon Says...

• 4,502 posts
  • Joined Feb 24, 2009
  • 2,019 rep
The one thing I struggle with is Jesus..not too sure about that guy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users