Jesus of Suburbia

J'net

How incredibly punk is that? :ninja:

Oh wow! That is so completely amazing - thanks so much for sharing that!! :) Just when you think all the layers of the onion are peeled back and exposed, there is another one ready to be analyzed. I downloaded the acapella tracks for Rockband, and I heard so many new little things I had never heard before, lyrically. I never bothered to listen to the music tracks seperately. I may need to do that now!

I don't have anything really to add to this thread - there's been so much said already, and I've absolutely loved reading everyone's thoughts on it. JOS is simply an amazing piece of art, musically, lyrically, conceptually...I love this song, and I love the thought and the discussion it brings out in so many people.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

JOS is simply perfection from beginning to end. I love the fact that despite being nine minutes long, there's no "filler" or anything extra at all. Every single line fits in perfectly and has an impact. It's a bipolar little song that you can pick apart and analyze to your heart's content, but it's also just a catchy tune that you can rock out to without really absorbing the full meaning. Almost every time I listen to it, I come away with a new favorite line. "Land of make believe, and it don't believe in me" is my favorite right now. For some reason, that line felt so much more meaningful to me after seeing it performed in the musical.

My favorite song by them, This song has help me out so many times. I feel like it talks about a lot of peoples feeling about trying to find themselves.

Ok, the only thing that bothers me about the song?

tumblr_lhpzhpuOic1qazziyo1_400.png

:lol: Otherwise, it's perfect.

I had a go at interpreting that "I could care less" line a while ago on the GD Lyrics That Don't Really Make Sense thread. This is what I came up with:

I found out it was an expression just by searching the internet :)

In that context, yeah, that makes sense! But if Billie truly meant that JoS doesn't give a shit, then, UGH, that's one of my pet peeves :lol:

The best part in my opinion is the 12 minute video, it's so epic, the acting and setting and props.

So tired of music videos that shows bands playing their song in some weird supernatuarl place.

The emotion and the lyrics scribbled across the walls, the message gets out so clearly, and at the same time you have to "decrypt" the lysics to figure out the history yourself.

Definatly on my top 10 favorite song list<3

This has been a long 2 weeks

Aw I just remembered back, when I first heard it live in Cologne in 2009, damn I can't even tell you how emotional I got.

I'm getting weak in my knees and all whiny again when I think back to that special feeling I had back then. It was just like woah. And really fucking overwhelming.

I know, and I apologize. I didn't realize when I put this one up for two weeks that I would be trying to send out over 200 cometbus magazines (with international complications) while still doing my day job! It's been a challenge to find time to eat these past few days. But I haven't forgotten, and I'm hoping to have the new song up tonight.

One problem I'm having is trying to decide what song should have the sad fate of following Jesus of Suburbia :(.

Don't give up on me, though - I'll get there (see my sig :)).

One problem I'm having is trying to decide what song should have the sad fate of following Jesus of Suburbia :(.

A break from the serious stuff wouldn't be a bad idea. Something that Tre sings would be even better. So lemme suggest "Dominated Love Slave."

I just set my new highest score on JoS on GD Rockband !!!!

(Its rubbish still, cause i suck, so i won't disclose to many details)

Oh and i do agree this is one of their best songs. Emotional, meaningful and some awesome instrument part (for example, mentioned before, Tre's drum fills)

Never get tried of hearing it, and for a 9 minute song it doesn't get boring as it varies so much (but not to much, which would ruin it).

I just set my new highest score on JoS on GD Rockband !!!!

(Its rubbish still, cause i suck, so i won't disclose to many details)

Oh and i do agree this is one of their best songs. Emotional, meaningful and some awesome instrument part (for example, mentioned before, Tre's drum fills)

Never get tried of hearing it, and for a 9 minute song it doesn't get boring as it varies so much (but not to much, which would ruin it).

I agree, it has variety but is still cohesive as a song. Congrats on your Rockband score (whatever it is) and congrats on your first post! :)

Oh I'm not complaining J'net, I love this thread!

Oh I'm not complaining J'net, I love this thread!

YES. <3

this is my favorite song EVER.

the first time i heard it, i was in my mom's car and i was like, DAAAAAAAAAAAMN. :wub:

i've cried, laughed, and freaked the f*** out, to this song SOO many time.

this song is so amazing it's hard to describe, like billie said in BIAB.

It's a catchy number, good to dance to.

I love this song

It's a catchy number, good to dance to.

Hahaha I lol'd at this :D Bullet in a Bible <3

I love this song

Well, everybody, give it all the loving you've got today, because by the end of the day there will be a new Song of the ...... whatever :unsure:.

I wish there was an album of the month, because when I read this thread's title again my brain spat out 'The Jesus of... Suburbia is a lie'

Which is not the same song, even. If this was the AI album of the month thread, I'd go on and on about how beautifully they intertwine things to create such an amazing epic of a story...

*Edit: Ah crap, I just saw that we've done Homecoming. Didn't see it in the threads the first time I looked through. If a second round of Homecoming discussion, framed as a part of the St. Jimmy story, isn't an option, then I'd definitely vote for a Tre song.

AMERICAN IDIOT ALBUM OF THE MONTH!!!!

Well, everybody, give it all the loving you've got today, because by the end of the day there will be a new Song of the ...... whatever :unsure:.

Yeah how do you follow this up?

Any final thoughts on the music video? I don't think its been talked about all that much here

Well, it's not really like there's been a thread, there's just a thread for the discussion of each album, so also one for American Idiot.

Well,I love this song so much I wanna make a lot of babies with it. :woot:

Guess that shows my appreciation.

• 1 month later...

I think it's brilliant.

The beginning line "I'm the son of rage and love; the Jesus of suburbia." has a lot of meanings. Letterbomb ties into it when it says "The St. Jimmy is a figment of your father's rage and your mother's love." This means that Jesus Of Suburbia's father is God and he has a whole lot of rage in him. We don't know who his mom is but we know she has a lot of love in her. I could go on forever about just this but I'll leave it at that.

Archived