Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
- You have less than a day left to submit your entry for the Karaoke Contest! Entries are due November 21st at 6:59PM Eastern Time (23:59 GMT).
- Green Day Chat & Green Day News subforums have been merged

Photo

Pets

• Please log in to reply
4702 replies to this topic

AlissaGoesRAWR

AlissaGoesRAWR
  • Hash Slinging Slasher

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,940 posts
  • Joined May 14, 2012
  • 5,208 rep

Oh no :( I was just thinking about Molly earlier (our Bad Cat cat-a-day calender for today looked like a Ted/Molly bb). I guess I thought she was older/Nan had her longer than that. I bet she'll do fine with the Munch, though. He'll keep her on her toes. :lol:

I can't remember if she's 7 or 8 now, but she got her when she was 2-3, so either way I estimate it's about 5 years or so that she's had her, but like I said, it's all estimates. It basically just feels like Molly has been a part of our lives forever now!

Part of me was hoping we wouldn't have to introduce the two of them until we got better jobs and moved to a bigger place, and lived in an actual house or something a little bigger (or a place that actually allowed cats, y'know  :ninja:). I'm probably worrying for nothing, but I just hope they get along, because of the gender/age difference, as well as the fact that both have always lived on their own, thus far. Munchkin's still pretty hyper, and she's chill, so I just hope they get along and Munchkin doesn't drive her insane!  :lol:

Long story short, Nana was put into the hospital this week after she fell and broke her hip, and we're not sure if she'll be able to return home to live on her own... it depends on how the rehab goes. If we do end up taking the cat, I want to introduce the two of them gradually, but his family is pushing us to take the cat now, which is so stupid. His mom basically said "if you don't take her now, I'm taking her back to Columbus with me," which is fucking stupid because a) the cat is willed to us anyway b) she already has four cats she can't take care of and c) it's possible Nana could return home, and without her cat, she'd literally die.

Sausage Gravy

Sausage Gravy
  • wildest dreams

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,510 posts
  • Joined Oct 10, 2004
  • 8,659 rep
so tempted to get a kitten, my house just feels so empty and wrong without cats in it. I know a lady who has a kitten she can't keep and it's 8 weeks old and so cute and I'm so tempted to just go get it omg.
  • Mar likes this

Mary711

Mary711
  • Living for the next show

• 8,479 posts
  • Joined Jun 30, 2010
  • 2,363 rep

so tempted to get a kitten, my house just feels so empty and wrong without cats in it. I know a lady who has a kitten she can't keep and it's 8 weeks old and so cute and I'm so tempted to just go get it omg.

Didn't you just recently get a puppy?

Maid Meringue

Maid Meringue
  • Little One

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Joined Nov 05, 2014
  • 32 rep

At this time, my only pet is a (Hypo Tangerine) Honduran Milksnake (amel het anery).
Owning exotics is rewarding but very expensive when it comes to vet bills, which is why after 2 of my other pets died this year, I decided to have just one more.

Question for herp owners -  my room is very cold and dry due to the way my roommates keep the apartment. My snake's skin is in need of humidity but I haven't had much luck in simulating the levels that he obviously needs. Any ideas? As well, I have an under-tank heating pad with a temperature control and thermostat, but it jumps from being cold at 84 to being scorching at 85. Should I just scrap the thing and use an overhead lamp? Currently, I am using both. 

Penguin Puffball

Penguin Puffball
  • Mary Poopins

• 20,070 posts
  • Joined Jun 08, 2009
  • 3,638 rep
No house is complete without multiple kinds of animals living in it. :D

Rain and Lola make the funniest pup noises when you pet them long enough. It's like they "talk" to us. It makes me feel so happy :happy:

At this time, my only pet is a (Hypo Tangerine) Honduran Milksnake (amel het anery).
Owning exotics is rewarding but very expensive when it comes to vet bills, which is why after 2 of my other pets died this year, I decided to have just one more.

Question for herp owners -  my room is very cold and dry due to the way my roommates keep the apartment. My snake's skin is in need of humidity but I haven't had much luck in simulating the levels that he obviously needs. Any ideas? As well, I have an under-tank heating pad with a temperature control and thermostat, but it jumps from being cold at 84 to being scorching at 85. Should I just scrap the thing and use an overhead lamp? Currently, I am using both. 

You could get a small humidifier for your room and keep it next to the tank/cage/whatever it's called. It'll release humidity into the air and should help with the animal's skin. It'll also help prevent nosebleeds for you so it's a win-win!
  • Maid Meringue likes this

Dirntbag

Dirntbag
  • Unsuspicious Individual

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,143 posts
  • Joined Jan 15, 2012
  • 2,986 rep

No house is complete without multiple kinds of animals living in it. :D

Rain and Lola make the funniest pup noises when you pet them long enough. It's like they "talk" to us. It makes me feel so happy :happy:
You could get a small humidifier for your room and keep it next to the tank/cage/whatever it's called. It'll release humidity into the air and should help with the animal's skin. It'll also help prevent nosebleeds for you so it's a win-win!

Ok this has nothing to do with anything per-related but dang, I'm relieved to hear that this is the case because Bermuda has tons of humidity... like 90% or more a day in the summer, and whenever I go away, I find it hard to breathe. My hypothesis was because there was very little humidity, and it sucks because my hair is on point without humidity, but I can't breathe properly :P Maybe this means I could get a cool pet like a snake (cause that's a wicked pet person from two posts above)!

Penguin Puffball

Penguin Puffball
  • Mary Poopins

• 20,070 posts
  • Joined Jun 08, 2009
  • 3,638 rep

Ok this has nothing to do with anything per-related but dang, I'm relieved to hear that this is the case because Bermuda has tons of humidity... like 90% or more a day in the summer, and whenever I go away, I find it hard to breathe. My hypothesis was because there was very little humidity, and it sucks because my hair is on point without humidity, but I can't breathe properly :P Maybe this means I could get a cool pet like a snake (cause that's a wicked pet person from two posts above)!

Yeah, most nosebleeds are caused by dry air so you should be fine :P
I would love to get a snake or a lizard but I'm worried about keeping their little habitat warm enough in the winter. It gets obnoxiously cold here.

Maid Meringue

Maid Meringue
  • Little One

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Joined Nov 05, 2014
  • 32 rep

Yeah, most nosebleeds are caused by dry air so you should be fine :P
I would love to get a snake or a lizard but I'm worried about keeping their little habitat warm enough in the winter. It gets obnoxiously cold here.

There is a certain type of lizard i came across at Repticon a couple weeks ago that doesn't need any special heaters or humidifiers, and eats mostly puerred fruit. 
OH! the crested gecko. they are so cute and come in a lot of colors. they are mad chill as well but when they get scared, they drop their tails easily. 

Numero uno is research, I looked up dozens of species for about 7 months before I found the one to suit me, and I'm still learning every day 

AlissaGoesRAWR

AlissaGoesRAWR
  • Hash Slinging Slasher

• 6,940 posts
  • Joined May 14, 2012
  • 5,208 rep

Well, Molly is officially ours. We're bringing her home tomorrow. Really, really nervous for how Munchkin is going to react to not being king of the house anymore, and how she's going to react to being in a new environment after 5 years... =/

• Certified Nimrod likes this

Mar

Mar
  • Streets ahead

• 18,437 posts
  • Joined Jul 23, 2009
  • 5,136 rep

Well, Molly is officially ours. We're bringing her home tomorrow. Really, really nervous for how Munchkin is going to react to not being king of the house anymore, and how she's going to react to being in a new environment after 5 years... =/

Aww, best of luck to you guys <3 maybe once they have a drink of Munch's precious wine, they'll feel better about everything.

• AlissaGoesRAWR likes this

Penguin Puffball

Penguin Puffball
  • Mary Poopins

• 20,070 posts
  • Joined Jun 08, 2009
  • 3,638 rep

Is Munchkin a male or female? If he's male you'll want to have him fixed if he's not already, otherwise he'll start spraying all over the house to mark his territory
  • Certified Nimrod likes this

R_Z-Log

R_Z-Log
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • Joined Jun 16, 2013
  • 665 rep

POPULAR

I got the absolute perfect picture of Linus the other day... Iva, I know you'll enjoy this!

demonlinus_zps18107843.jpg

• Sausage Gravy, Mar, Dirntbag and 2 others like this

Khaleesi.

Khaleesi.
  • #sneakyoutlaw

• 20,257 posts
  • Joined Jul 31, 2005
  • 4,311 rep

cats are evil  :mellow:

• Lindsay likes this

Iva

Iva
  • A Warlock in Wonderland

• 6,604 posts
  • Joined May 22, 2013
  • 4,043 rep

OMG, SATAN. :wub:

Tell me what you want, master.

• R_Z-Log likes this

AlissaGoesRAWR

AlissaGoesRAWR
  • Hash Slinging Slasher

• 6,940 posts
  • Joined May 14, 2012
  • 5,208 rep

Is Munchkin a male or female? If he's male you'll want to have him fixed if he's not already, otherwise he'll start spraying all over the house to mark his territory

They're both fixed (we got them both from the same shelter, where you have to get them fixed before you take them home). Munchkin's a 1 1/2-year-old boy and Molly is a 7 or 8-year-old girl. I'm a bit worried about the age gap and the fact that she's lived so long with someone in the house at all times, and Brandon and I aren't home too much, except at night.

Advertising

Emilie.

Emilie.
  • Merry Christmas, ya filthy animal

• 14,908 posts
  • Joined Jun 18, 2010
  • 4,875 rep

I'm so angry at dad right now. Mostly dad because he's the most responsible person living here, but also kind of my sister. I went away for 4 days and asked them to feed Eddie while I was away. When I got back tonight I checked Eddie's food and water, and they were filled with crap. The water wasn't even transparent anymore it was filled with that much bird shit. They obviously hadn't changed it at all while I was away. Eddie couldn't even drink out of it!

And it was 40 degrees celsius all week, I can't imagine how he got through that with no water or food.

AlissaGoesRAWR

AlissaGoesRAWR
  • Hash Slinging Slasher

• 6,940 posts
  • Joined May 14, 2012
  • 5,208 rep

I've never been prouder of Munchkin. He's adapting to his new sister SO well! He just sort of follows her around curiously and observes, but he hasn't hissed or growled once or even touched her, for that matter. He just seems genuinely interested and excited, like he has a new friend and wants to play.

... Now Molly, that's another story. She isn't taking to him at all, and keeps hissing, batting at him and growling if he gets too close. I think she's just so worked up from being away from Brandon's great-grandma and being in a new environment that she doesn't know what to think. We're keeping them separated at night just because we don't want her to attack him and hurt him. She seems fine when it's just us, but whenever Munchkin is around she gets so angry. Poor thing.  :(

Mar

Mar
  • Streets ahead

• 18,437 posts
  • Joined Jul 23, 2009
  • 5,136 rep

I'm so angry at dad right now. Mostly dad because he's the most responsible person living here, but also kind of my sister. I went away for 4 days and asked them to feed Eddie while I was away. When I got back tonight I checked Eddie's food and water, and they were filled with crap. The water wasn't even transparent anymore it was filled with that much bird shit. They obviously hadn't changed it at all while I was away. Eddie couldn't even drink out of it!

And it was 40 degrees celsius all week, I can't imagine how he got through that with no water or food.

This is one of the reasons all three of us don't really go on overnight trips anymore - our family leaves the cats in such shitty conditions and it's so gross. I'm sorry he had to deal with that :(

I've never been prouder of Munchkin. He's adapting to his new sister SO well! He just sort of follows her around curiously and observes, but he hasn't hissed or growled once or even touched her, for that matter. He just seems genuinely interested and excited, like he has a new friend and wants to play.

... Now Molly, that's another story. She isn't taking to him at all, and keeps hissing, batting at him and growling if he gets too close. I think she's just so worked up from being away from Brandon's great-grandma and being in a new environment that she doesn't know what to think. We're keeping them separated at night just because we don't want her to attack him and hurt him. She seems fine when it's just us, but whenever Munchkin is around she gets so angry. Poor thing.  :(

:( Like you said, that can be scary, coming from a queen of the castle environment to one where, while she's still a queen, she now has to share the throne. Since Munch is being so chill, maybe she'll eventually realize that he's not really a threat to her.

Certified Nimrod

Certified Nimrod
  • Certified NimMod

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,360 posts
  • Joined Jan 26, 2013
  • 2,326 rep

I would take a hostage. What was their excuse?

Emilie.

Emilie.
  • Merry Christmas, ya filthy animal

• 14,908 posts
  • Joined Jun 18, 2010
  • 4,875 rep

I would take a hostage. What was their excuse?

nothing, he just said he forgot :dry:

Certified Nimrod

Certified Nimrod
  • Certified NimMod

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,360 posts
  • Joined Jan 26, 2013
  • 2,326 rep

nothing, he just said he forgot :dry:

Wow.

AlissaGoesRAWR

AlissaGoesRAWR
  • Hash Slinging Slasher

• 6,940 posts
  • Joined May 14, 2012
  • 5,208 rep

Like you said, that can be scary, coming from a queen of the castle environment to one where, while she's still a queen, she now has to share the throne. Since Munch is being so chill, maybe she'll eventually realize that he's not really a threat to her.

Oh, trust me, there is no throne-sharing occurring here... When Molly finds a spot she likes (which today just happens to be Munchkin's favorite chair), she just stands her ground, making growly noises, hissing, batting at him and refusing to share. And he just stands there with a sad, stupid look on his face, like "New friend, why won't you play with me?" :cry: :lol:

Despite her basically abusing him, he's yet to hiss, growl or do anything aggressive. Seriously, so, so proud of my little boy. :D

Cath

Cath
  • stick it to the man

• 6,860 posts
  • Joined Nov 24, 2012
  • 4,142 rep

can i just

10814304_10152625360697599_1669224535_n.

• Iva likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users