Green Day Question and Answer Thread

tapdancingowl

So a while ago I bought the Green Day cover version of Husker Du's "Don't Want To Know If You Are Lonely" from the Green Day Collection on iTunes (which was originally a B-side from the Warning era) and enjoyed it. So I went on the page wikipedia has for the song and regarding Green Day's version they said:

"Don't Want to Know If You Are Lonely" has been covered by several different artists, including Green Day, who released it as a b-side after recording it for an MTV show titled "Influences"

^ I didn't know it was originally recorded for a TV show/special, I always thought it was recorded just as a B-side. But does anybody know where you can find the MTV show/special listed above and on the wikipedia page?

It's one that's on GDA, if I'm not mistaken

http://www.greendayauthority.com/music/song/232/

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah that's the song, But I was asking where you can find the MTV special?

I mean, the video on that page. The "music video". Isn't that their part of the special?

I mean, the video on that page. The "music video". Isn't that their part of the special?

Oh duh! :rolleyes:

Didn't see the video on the page. You're right!

Whats Billie shouting in JOS in "I Dont Care" after he says Land Of Make Believe. Its backing vocals and it sounds like "Yes Another!!" but what is it? Thanks :)

I think it's "it's another fight". But i don't seem to hear the first word properly but, I also think that it's "Saint" or it could also probably be "Shit"

Hey Boys and Girls, Just looking for abit of setup and equipment information that im sure someone on here can help me with :).

I have a Gibson Les Paul Standard and a JCM 2000 - 60W Triple Super Lead Marshall Amp and have been messing around playing along to Green Day for about 4 years, but i cant seem to quite get that awesome distortion Green Day play with.

Does anyone know of any good FX Pedals i could try out to get that Green Day sound? Or even any tips or other equipment that might help. Also apologies if this topic comes up alot i had a search but couldnt find any info on it. Any help would be appreciated.

G-Ham

Hey Boys and Girls, Just looking for abit of setup and equipment information that im sure someone on here can help me with :).

I have a Gibson Les Paul Standard and a JCM 2000 - 60W Triple Super Lead Marshall Amp and have been messing around playing along to Green Day for about 4 years, but i cant seem to quite get that awesome distortion Green Day play with.

Does anyone know of any good FX Pedals i could try out to get that Green Day sound? Or even any tips or other equipment that might help. Also apologies if this topic comes up alot i had a search but couldnt find any info on it. Any help would be appreciated.

G-Ham

Billie Joe does not use pedals ever. All his distortion comes from the amp, but even if you match his setup and settings exactly, you still probably won't sound like him because 90% of his sound comes from the way he plays. He has a unique style of playing guitar that makes him sound very unique, and it just can't be matched. Even Jason White has his differences while playing.

Billie Joe does not use pedals ever. All his distortion comes from the amp, but even if you match his setup and settings exactly, you still probably won't sound like him because 90% of his sound comes from the way he plays. He has a unique style of playing guitar that makes him sound very unique, and it just can't be matched. Even Jason White has his differences while playing.

Ah right i see, Still so much i dont know about the band, Well in that case i guess its all in the practice to attempt a similar sound, Thanks for the info :)

Ah right i see, Still so much i dont know about the band, Well in that case i guess its all in the practice to attempt a similar sound, Thanks for the info :)

Just a tip from what I've noticed about his playing - He gets at least some of his sound from just slamming down on the strings as hard as he can. He plays with motion in his elbows rather than motion in his wrist, which is how he gets his gainy sound without using a pedal.

Does anyone have a link to the bio thing where they showed the fake artwork for Cigarettes and Valentines? I at least want to see what it was. I'm pretty sure it's the orangey one with the man dropping bombs, though.

Where did the Dookie Demos come from? I mean, I know that they're from the tape that they used to send around to record companies and what-not, but who ripped it and gave it to GDA and what-not? How did they surface?

Hy, I have a question, I bought a Dookie cd and t I read sg about the back cover. My version has ernie at the back, so it is rare and if I go into a cd shop I can buy a different (cause i bought it in a used cd shop)? thanks for the help

Hy, I have a question, I bought a Dookie cd and t I read sg about the back cover. My version has ernie at the back, so it is rare and if I go into a cd shop I can buy a different (cause i bought it in a used cd shop)? thanks for the help

It's not really that rare, it just means it was made quite a bit of time ago. I don't understand the bolded part of your question.

No. Pretty much wherever you go to buy Dookie, it has the version with ernie on the back cover. I did read that certain shops, little record stores/used cd shops etc. might have the one without ernie. Some stores in the US sell it, so maybe if you go to one of those similar stores in your country, you might find it.

It's really not that rare... Green Day and Warner Bros. were threatened to be sued by the company responsible for Sesame Street, so they had to take Ernie off the back cover... But this was after tons of copies had already been made, making it somewhat common.

Yeah I think they only ever had to take Ernie off in the US, they never took him off in Europe. And even then there's still a lot in the US with him on.

I read Noel Gallagher of Oasis said that "Boulevard Of Broken Dreams" was a rip off of the Oasis song "Wonderwall". I'm not a musician, but I can't really hear many major similarities in the music except the Acoustic Guitar part. But that isn't prominent in the 2004 studio version. Can anybody else maybe with more musical training tell me what exactly he is bitching about as stolen in BOBD? I'm not dissing Noel Gallagher or Oasis because I actually love the whole (What's the story?) Morning Glory album. On another note, I don't think Billie has a problem with him or Oasis because he sang part of "Champagne Supernova" during the Shout! medley at certain 21st Century Breakdown shows.

^ In that Nimrod era "In The Limo" interview Billie slagged off Oasis a bit, he didn't seem to like the idea of Green Day being compared to them and said seeing them live was like watching paint dry :lol:. His opinion could have changed since then though haha.

Edit: Might as well post the interview since I mentioned it

I'd like to know what the similarity between the songs is from a musical-minded person too. I've heard they have the same "chord progression", not sure exactly what that means. Maybe they just heard that mashup of the two songs and decided to use it as an excuse to bitch about something?

With that signature acoustic that was meant to be released. What happened with it? I remember if you clicked to buy it, it would come up with some stuff and now if you go to the link it just takes you to a thing about the guy that Billie gave to a guy at a concert.

I read Noel Gallagher of Oasis said that "Boulevard Of Broken Dreams" was a rip off of the Oasis song "Wonderwall". I'm not a musician, but I can't really hear many major similarities in the music except the Acoustic Guitar part. But that isn't prominent in the 2004 studio version. Can anybody else maybe with more musical training tell me what exactly he is bitching about as stolen in BOBD? I'm not dissing Noel Gallagher or Oasis because I actually love the whole (What's the story?) Morning Glory album. On another note, I don't think Billie has a problem with him or Oasis because he sang part of "Champagne Supernova" during the Shout! medley at certain 21st Century Breakdown shows.

They have the same chords in the verse. The only difference is that Wonderwall has a capo on the second fret, and BOBD on the first. Side note: BOBD originally had the capo on the second fret, but Billie put it on first so that the song would be in the same key as Holiday (which was originally uncapoed). ALSO: Mad World, a much older song than Wonderwall, has the same chords, so Noel Gallagher can, as I believe I've said before, go fuck himself. :)

They have the same chords in the verse. The only difference is that Wonderwall has a capo on the second fret, and BOBD on the first. Side note: BOBD originally had the capo on the second fret, but Billie put it on first so that the song would be in the same key as Holiday (which was originally uncapoed). ALSO: Mad World, a much older song than Wonderwall, has the same chords, so Noel Gallagher can, as I believe I've said before, go fuck himself. :)

That reminds me of when Joey Ramone sued Avril Lavigne for her song Girlfriend, which had the part that says "Hey Hey You You" and he claimed she ripped it off from "I Wanna be your Boyfriend" and then she said that if she ripped off him, he ripped off (I believe) The Rolling Stones and their song "Get Off Of My Cloud".

Did the original CD release of Kerplunk! have the Sweet Children songs or was it just the Reprise version?

Did the original CD release of Kerplunk! have the Sweet Children songs or was it just the Reprise version?

I'm pretty sure all the CD's came with the Sweet Children EP because I've never seen one any where (In stores and online) with them.

EDIT: I even just found this on Wikipedia "The album officially includes only 12 tracks, but the versions released on CD and cassette also include the 4 tracks from the Sweet Children EP"

I'm pretty sure all the CD's came with the Sweet Children EP because I've never seen one any where (In stores and online) with them.

EDIT: I even just found this on Wikipedia "The album officially includes only 12 tracks, but the versions released on CD and cassette also include the 4 tracks from the Sweet Children EP"

Yes, but the Wiki statement is referring to the fact that the vinyl releases didn't have it.

That reminds me of when Joey Ramone sued Avril Lavigne for her song Girlfriend, which had the part that says "Hey Hey You You" and he claimed she ripped it off from "I Wanna be your Boyfriend" and then she said that if she ripped off him, he ripped off (I believe) The Rolling Stones and their song "Get Off Of My Cloud".

Joey died in 2001 and Girlfriend came out about 2 or 3 years ago. You're thinking of The Rubinoos.

Joey died in 2001 and Girlfriend came out about 2 or 3 years ago. You're thinking of The Rubinoos.

lolwut

Someone from The Ramones sued Avril Lavigne. Who are The Rubinoos?

Archived