Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Voting has started in the Karaoke Contest. Listen to the entries and vote for your favorite.

Photo

The Travel Thread

• Please log in to reply
3625 replies to this topic

Juliette

Juliette
  • Wanderlust

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,178 posts
  • Joined May 04, 2007
  • 1,168 rep

Why doesn't everyone just come to Edinburgh & we can drink copious amounts of whisky & climb hills & have ~bants.

I have to go down to London for a job interview so I'm going a day early to make it slightly more worthwhile. Hopefully get a bit of Christmas shopping done & visit either the Natural History Museum or the Science Museum cause I've still never been to either and always mean to when I'm there.

• .Holly likes this

Mary711

Mary711
  • Living for the next show

• 8,480 posts
  • Joined Jun 30, 2010
  • 2,363 rep

Aw, I always wanted to visit the Science Museum!

SaintJimmy13

SaintJimmy13
  • Dominated Love Slave

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,217 posts
  • Joined Jun 05, 2014
  • 1,199 rep

Why doesn't everyone just come to Edinburgh & we can drink copious amounts of whisky & climb hills & have ~bants.

I have to go down to London for a job interview so I'm going a day early to make it slightly more worthwhile. Hopefully get a bit of Christmas shopping done & visit either the Natural History Museum or the Science Museum cause I've still never been to either and always mean to when I'm there.

Aw, I always wanted to visit the Science Museum!

I haven't been to either for many years, but they're great.

Mary711

Mary711

• 8,480 posts
  • Joined Jun 30, 2010
  • 2,363 rep

Definitely have to go there next time.

• SaintJimmy13 likes this

Lady Nightlife

Lady Nightlife
  • Fuckity Bye

• 12,901 posts
  • Joined Dec 29, 2012
  • 12,813 rep

Going to spend about 16-18 hours in the car this weekend driving back and forth from Virginia with my parents. Naturally, Mia came home from school today running a high fever and complaining of neck and joint pain. Why couldn't she have done this a week ago? Or waited until after? Sigh :( Good thing I can cancel my hotel room up to 24 hours before check in.

Lindsay

Lindsay
  • Tittysprinkles

• 6,151 posts
  • Joined Mar 08, 2010
  • 4,148 rep

So I've been thinking about where I want to go summer of 2016 after I graduate (I'm aware that's a long time away, but people who know me know I like to plan :lol: ), and an idea that popped into my head recently is New Zealand. Has anyone been? What did you like/dislike about it? I would absolutely love to see Hobbiton cause I'm a nerd but what else would people who've been recommend? 

Also was thinking about flying over to Australia and seeing Sydney. This might be a dumb question but how likely is it that I would run into a huntsman spider? :lol: I think I would cry if I saw one. I have a serious fear of spiders and I'm not sure if it's worth it. :P I'm aware New Zealand has them too, but they're not as prominent, at least the internet says... :P

luv

luv
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,592 posts
  • Joined Feb 10, 2013
  • 611 rep

So I've been thinking about where I want to go summer of 2016 after I graduate (I'm aware that's a long time away, but people who know me know I like to plan :lol: ), and an idea that popped into my head recently is New Zealand. Has anyone been? What did you like/dislike about it? I would absolutely love to see Hobbiton cause I'm a nerd but what else would people who've been recommend? 

Also was thinking about flying over to Australia and seeing Sydney. This might be a dumb question but how likely is it that I would run into a huntsman spider? :lol: I think I would cry if I saw one. I have a serious fear of spiders and I'm not sure if it's worth it. :P I'm aware New Zealand has them too, but they're not as prominent, at least the internet says... :P

Yep New Zealand is beautiful - many places to see - South Island is very scenic.  I would do yourself a favour and if you then come over to Australia don't just go to Sydney.  It is a big city - but far better places to go.  Also you will survive - as long as you don't swim up north you are not going to get eaten by a croc, bitten by a spider or take a ride down the street on a kangaroo. 

• Lindsay likes this

Cruise

Cruise
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,115 posts
  • Joined Feb 27, 2010
  • 546 rep

I live about 70km north of Sydney and we rarely get them at all. We haven't had one in several years. Plus if you are in a hotel or in tourist areas you shouldn't see one at all. 

• Lindsay likes this

luv

luv
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,592 posts
  • Joined Feb 10, 2013
  • 611 rep

I live about 70km north of Sydney and we rarely get them at all. We haven't had one in several years. Plus if you are in a hotel or in tourist areas you shouldn't see one at all. 

But huntsman are not venomous.  There are far more dangerous spiders than a poor old huntsman.  :(

Cruise

Cruise
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,115 posts
  • Joined Feb 27, 2010
  • 546 rep

Yea you could have huntsmans crawling over you and they wont even bite you. They are the most common bite but only because they are so common, they mind their own business and are not toxic to humans. The only one tourists need to be careful of is the red back. These guys are pretty small compared to the humans but are toxic. Although they will leave you alone, you can even poke them and they will just run away. They will only bite if you continue to provoke them. The other one mostly only locals will ever need to worry about is the funnelweb. Pretty much the most dangerous spider there is, these guys are aggressive and very toxic, however, I have lives in the Sydney area for 20 years and have never seen one, or even heard of someone seeing one (humans pretty much only come in contact with them when gardening). 

Although Australia gets posted for being so dangerous, as long as you are not an idiot nothing will happen to you and you will be highly unlikely to even see any of them. I have an extreme fear of snakes and spiders and I would rather have them then being in an area with bears or moose. I live in one of the worst areas for it and I can honestly tell you the internet makes it sound a lot worse then it really is out here. As long as tourists aren't being extremely adventurous or idiots, you wont see them unless you go to a museum, or wildlife park. 

Emilie.

Emilie.
  • Merry Christmas, ya filthy animal

• 14,930 posts
  • Joined Jun 18, 2010
  • 4,881 rep

really you're only likely to see big spiders like that if you're close to the bush. The only time I regularly saw huntsmen was when I lived right on the edge of this big bush area.

Then again like luv said, depending on what you want Sydney might not be the best. As far as what I've heard from people who've been, Sydney's good for shopping, Bondi Beach, and Luna Park. Tasmania has amazing scenery, and they have a chocolate factory and an old prison that does tours. It's also tiny so you can travel the whole state in a day if you wanted. But it's really disconnected from the rest of the country, there isn't much entertainment-wise, like shopping or theme parks or big tourist attractions. Perth is the same, there are some really nice areas but if you want big tourist-y things it's still not as great as Sydney or Melbourne

San Miguel

San Miguel
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts
  • Joined Aug 13, 2011
  • 377 rep

Been invited to join a friend on a tour that starts in Argentina and ends in Brazil.  Lot of money but looks great... need to be better at saving!

Cruise

Cruise
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,115 posts
  • Joined Feb 27, 2010
  • 546 rep

really you're only likely to see big spiders like that if you're close to the bush. The only time I regularly saw huntsmen was when I lived right on the edge of this big bush area.

Then again like luv said, depending on what you want Sydney might not be the best. As far as what I've heard from people who've been, Sydney's good for shopping, Bondi Beach, and Luna Park. Tasmania has amazing scenery, and they have a chocolate factory and an old prison that does tours. It's also tiny so you can travel the whole state in a day if you wanted. But it's really disconnected from the rest of the country, there isn't much entertainment-wise, like shopping or theme parks or big tourist attractions. Perth is the same, there are some really nice areas but if you want big tourist-y things it's still not as great as Sydney or Melbourne

Might as well clear this up about Sydney as there is a lot missing about Sydney, there is more too it then most people think. Although it may be a big city it may not have a lot in the city itself apart from the regular stuff, but on the outskirts there is actually quite a lot. To the west you have the Blue Mountains, which is only a couple hours drive, for water parks we have Wet n Wild to the west and Jambaroo to the South. There are also several wildlife parks in the area, in the city you have the Zoo, Wildlife world and the aquarium, also for those who want more aggressive animals there is the reptile park to the north. You can head north to Newcastle where there is Maitland Gaol which held some of our worst prisoners and is now classed as one of the most haunted places. Also around there you have the Hunter Valley the huge wine district. 

This is one thing I notice a lot of people do with Sydney they rarely think of it as being more then just the city and its famous attractions. There is a lot of nature and attractions on the outskirts of the city, which a lot of people seem to forget or shrug off. Also Bondi Beach is pretty rubbish compared to most of the beaches in the area. 

• Kayfabe, Lindsay and luv like this

Mary711

Mary711

• 8,480 posts
  • Joined Jun 30, 2010
  • 2,363 rep

Been invited to join a friend on a tour that starts in Argentina and ends in Brazil.  Lot of money but looks great... need to be better at saving!

My boyfriend did something similar for the World Cup this summer, he had a great time. :)

Comedy & Tragedy

Comedy & Tragedy
  • They Say Of The Acropolis Where The Parthenon Is

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,726 posts
  • Joined Apr 13, 2009
  • 893 rep

Hopefully gonna be spending New Year's in the Netherlands :runaround: We're definitely gonna spend some time in Amsterdam again, but for the night itself I'd rather go somewhere a bit quieter. Any suggestions? 

• Daughter.of.Rage.and.Love and November's Storms like this

Advertising

November's Storms

November's Storms
  • Welcome to Paradise

• 10,710 posts
  • Joined Feb 09, 2010
  • 4,507 rep

Hopefully gonna be spending New Year's in the Netherlands :runaround: We're definitely gonna spend some time in Amsterdam again, but for the night itself I'd rather go somewhere a bit quieter. Any suggestions? 

Firstly, I love your new member title!

Do you plan on basing your trip around Amsterdam? Because there are some nice quiet towns nearby like Haarlem. If you want to go a bit further afield there are some nice places. Groningen (where Kat goes to university) is a bit far north but being a it's well worth the trip. It's a college town so lots of cool cafes, bars, young people etc. I've heard Utrecht is lovely too but I've never been.

Of if you want to go real cheesy there is Efteling, a theme park which I've heard great things about. Just outside Amsterdam there are 2 towns called Marken and Volendam which are so stereotypically Dutch it would make you cringe but just some more options!

Daughter.of.Rage.and.Love

Daughter.of.Rage.and.Love
  • No, this is Patrick

• 30,895 posts
  • Joined Oct 23, 2008
  • 3,757 rep
Leiden. Go to Leiden. It's really good there :P
Who are you going to Amsterdam/the Netherlands with? Kinda depends on your company what would be good places to go.

Yussef

Yussef
  • love infinitely

• 17,395 posts
  • Joined Jun 22, 2006
  • 4,699 rep

hopefully going to london in january with my boo to meet up with amanda and anna chatnoir again. :D

• Amanda and Billie Hoe is my hero like this

Comedy & Tragedy

Comedy & Tragedy
  • They Say Of The Acropolis Where The Parthenon Is

• 4,726 posts
  • Joined Apr 13, 2009
  • 893 rep

Firstly, I love your new member title!

Do you plan on basing your trip around Amsterdam? Because there are some nice quiet towns nearby like Haarlem. If you want to go a bit further afield there are some nice places. Groningen (where Kat goes to university) is a bit far north but being a it's well worth the trip. It's a college town so lots of cool cafes, bars, young people etc. I've heard Utrecht is lovely too but I've never been.

Of if you want to go real cheesy there is Efteling, a theme park which I've heard great things about. Just outside Amsterdam there are 2 towns called Marken and Volendam which are so stereotypically Dutch it would make you cringe but just some more options!

It's several months old but thanks :P

Planning is still in early stages. I was just looking for some ideas to throw around. And I got some, thank you :D 

Leiden. Go to Leiden. It's really good there :P
Who are you going to Amsterdam/the Netherlands with? Kinda depends on your company what would be good places to go.

My friend, the one who was at Frank Turner in February. 

Cat C

Cat C
  • Criminal of Thought

• 5,053 posts
  • Joined Oct 11, 2010
  • 4,178 rep

What's the weather like in NYC in March? I'm thinking of going then because we're busy April-May and are planning to go away with our friends in the summer. I want a little gap between them to make sure I've got enough spending money, etc. Is it really rainy?

Backyard Skulls

Backyard Skulls
  • Dominated Love Slave

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,351 posts
  • Joined Apr 30, 2009
  • 1,093 rep
Flybe have started doing flights from Inverness to New York! This saves so much hassle of getting to London from up here :P They go via Dublin. Really tempted to go at some point, been itching to travel for ages :(

November's Storms

November's Storms
  • Welcome to Paradise

• 10,710 posts
  • Joined Feb 09, 2010
  • 4,507 rep

I've just posted about 15/20 reviews from our trip to Portugal, positive and negative, on Tripadvisor. It's really satisfying knowing that you can warn people about a bad experience so they don't get caught too. Attractions now have to actually be nice and provide a good service rather than just rely on advertising! Travel karma :)

• Kayfabe likes this

Kayfabe

Kayfabe
  • syllables, killaholic

• 14,589 posts
  • Joined Jun 20, 2009
  • 3,052 rep

What's the weather like in NYC in March? I'm thinking of going then because we're busy April-May and are planning to go away with our friends in the summer. I want a little gap between them to make sure I've got enough spending money, etc. Is it really rainy?

Nope. I went late last March and it was anything you could expect for the time. Like 18C, mainly dry, did drizzle a bit one day but yeah

• Cat C likes this

November's Storms

November's Storms
  • Welcome to Paradise

• 10,710 posts
  • Joined Feb 09, 2010
  • 4,507 rep

I've never been but I would guess NYC has a similar climate to that which you'd experience in England. Roughly the same latitude, similar coastal temperate climate. Just the opposite coast!

Billie Hoe is my hero

Billie Hoe is my hero
  • ♥ Jimmy Sullivan ♥

• 19,293 posts
  • Joined Jun 14, 2005
  • 1,118 rep
I am going to Dublin and Cologne (Germany) for a couple of days in the spring to go to some gigs. Suggestions to what I should do/see there? :)

I will be in Dublin on St. Patrick's day, sadly, that's the day of the show I'm going to. Not sure if I will be able to experience any of the parades and so on because of it. Or will there be things going on, during the evening as well? :)

Comrade

Comrade
  • Razzamataz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,076 posts
  • Joined Aug 31, 2008
  • 5,917 rep

I need to start thinking about gear for skiing. Never been before. I think I only have hand luggage too, so I'm just going to take standard winter gear with an extra puffy coat and hire the rest out there. It's Slovakia - how expensive could it be? 

Also pinpointed when I'll be able to go to Scotland for an extended weekend: February half term - return flights just £40 London-Edinburgh. Just need to track down some nice B&B's and some touristy things to do, like this platinum whisky tour and climbing up the hills. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users