Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

The Travel Thread

• Please log in to reply
3586 replies to this topic

Billie Hoe is my hero

Billie Hoe is my hero
  • ♥ Jimmy Sullivan ♥

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,067 posts
  • Joined Jun 14, 2005
  • 983 rep

Getting home after a vacation is such a downer. I got home last week, and I have already started to plan my next trip to London, even though it's not until March. :lol: 

Mary711

Mary711
  • Living for the next show

• 8,439 posts
  • Joined Jun 30, 2010
  • 2,344 rep

Has anyone ever couchsurfed before? Katarina and I are planning a rail holiday around Portugal and I'm very keen on using Couchsurfing as an option but she's a little hesitant. Some stories would be nice :) Also if anyone has tips or recommendations for Portugal that'd be nice.

I haven't but I heard a lot of positive things about it. Though I'm not sure if it's a good thing if you're doing it as a couple. I'd prefer to have some privacy and a more comfortable place to stay when I'm travelling with my boyfriend.

November's Storms

November's Storms
  • Welcome to Paradise

• 10,673 posts
  • Joined Feb 09, 2010
  • 4,458 rep

I'm going to the Hague in the Netherlands for a Model United Nations (MUN) trip with the school. 

I've been there, to Den Haag as the locals call it. It's quite nice but it's more of an economic/administrative city and not the best place in the country for tourists. I'm not sure how much spare time you'll have but Amsterdam and Rotterdam and other nice towns along the Dutch coast are not far away by train, maybe it's worth checking them out?

Remember the website I posted for you ages ago about the young woman who traveled the world alone? She used couchsurfing and had great experiences. I'll post the link for you again later if you done have it anymore.

I remember checking it out and being very impressed but it was a while ago now so yeah it would be nice if you shared that again!

I haven't but I heard a lot of positive things about it. Though I'm not sure if it's a good thing if you're doing it as a couple. I'd prefer to have some privacy and a more comfortable place to stay when I'm travelling with my boyfriend.

That is true, but we're concerned about money too. I quite like the idea of meeting new people and getting to know the locals and having a free room, but it's not certain yet. If we can't find anything good enough for us then we're happy to pay for a private hostel room.

• Dirntbag likes this

lizziebix

lizziebix
  • I used to make great reservations!

• 22,860 posts
  • Joined Sep 15, 2009
  • 6,433 rep

I remember checking it out and being very impressed but it was a while ago now so yeah it would be nice if you shared that again!

Here's Lisa couchsurfing page:

http://www.llworldto.../couch-surfing/
  • Giov likes this

bollard_11

bollard_11
  • Disposable Hero

• 9,073 posts
  • Joined Apr 17, 2009
  • 2,962 rep
So it looks like I'm going to New York next year with work for 2 weeks. I'll be working most of the time but I will have some time to check out the sights! I get to fly business class though which is a first for me :)

Daughter.of.Rage.and.Love

• No, this is Patrick

• 30,767 posts
  • Joined Oct 23, 2008
  • 3,682 rep

I'm going to the Hague in the Netherlands for a Model United Nations (MUN) trip with the school. 

I think seeing the Hague will be fun, but I'm not really looking forward to the MUN part of the trip now that I know more about it... I'm anxious about speaking and such. Other than that, it should be good. But I'll be going over the October break and so I'll be away for Halloween, just like last year, which is a bit of a bummer.

Has anyone done MUN or been to the Hague before?

Yup, I've done several MUNs and have been to the Hague as well (though not that often), so if you have any questions, go ahead!
What MUN are you attending? HagaMUN, MUNISH?

Dirntbag

Dirntbag
  • Unsuspicious Individual

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,073 posts
  • Joined Jan 15, 2012
  • 2,868 rep

Yup, I've done several MUNs and have been to the Hague as well (though not that often), so if you have any questions, go ahead!
What MUN are you attending? HagaMUN, MUNISH?

I'm attending MUNISH, I believe. I'm sort of regretting it now, because the teacher didn't really explain it very well when we signed up, so I sort of went in blind, and now I know that we have to represent a country and learn a lot about its views and argue about a topic from their perspective. I have an issue with public speaking, and I don't think I'll have enough confidence to do something like MUN, now that I know more about it. It'd be great if you could tell me a bit about what you did when you went to your various MUN conferences! What is your opinion on MUN? Did you have to speak a lot? What were your favourite and least favourite parts of it when you went?

Mary711

Mary711

• 8,439 posts
  • Joined Jun 30, 2010
  • 2,344 rep
You don't have to talk the whole time, but participating isn't much fun if you can't contribute anything and aren't into the whole thing.
  • Dirntbag likes this

• No, this is Patrick

• 30,767 posts
  • Joined Oct 23, 2008
  • 3,682 rep

I'm attending MUNISH, I believe. I'm sort of regretting it now, because the teacher didn't really explain it very well when we signed up, so I sort of went in blind, and now I know that we have to represent a country and learn a lot about its views and argue about a topic from their perspective. I have an issue with public speaking, and I don't think I'll have enough confidence to do something like MUN, now that I know more about it. It'd be great if you could tell me a bit about what you did when you went to your various MUN conferences! What is your opinion on MUN? Did you have to speak a lot? What were your favourite and least favourite parts of it when you went?

I really liked MUNs, and I used to have terrible anxiety about public speaking. It's basically what Mary said, you don't have to speak (a lot) if you don't want to, but participating is what makes it fun, otherwise you're just sitting there listening. You don't have to start with making big speeches, you can just start with making points of information (asking questions), and once you feel more confident you can start submitting amendments, aiding with writing resolutions and presenting them, stuff like that where you do have to make speeches. The points of information are less overwhelming cause you just have to stand up, you don't have to stand in front of the group (sorry, I don't know how much you know about the procedures yet). Then once you feel comfortable with that, get involved and make amendments and speeches and everything, basically the more you participate, the more fun it gets (yes, even if public speaking makes you nervous :P).

I really liked how it's a real debate with real rules. You have to represent your country as well as possible, but engage in good debating because the assembly has got to agree on the resolution in the end. Choose and pick what matters to your country, some things you'll already agree with, some things aren't relevant to your country, and some things your country will disagree with so you try to change that! But you can't just make it fit your country's policy exactly because any amendment has to be voted on as well, so take into account what the other countries think and try to accommodate to that well enough so that a majority will vote for your amendment. It's smart debating and I really enjoy that :happy:

It really helps if you research your country and the topic of your assembly thoroughly, you're just sitting there a lot more comfortably if you know what you're talking about. Usually, research reports on the issue are published on the MUN's website, I'd print that out and bring it with you so you can look things up if you've forgotten, and I also brought a print of a summary of my country's points of view (your policy statement, you probably have to make one of those anyway). That's especially useful if your country's point of view clashes with your own (one time I was Indonesia, and I had to defend something I am personally very against, so that was pretty hard because I couldn't really come up with great arguments).

In my first MUN I represented the US, which was probably not the best idea because big, important countries like that are kind of expected to say things, so I didn't really like that, but on the other hand it did force me to speak and get over my anxiety. Didn't scare me off MUNs either, I continued doing them because it was so much fun. And it's good practice for public speaking too. Sometimes you get really experienced MUNers who may dominate the assembly, but don't be bothered by that, just speak anyway. People aren't laughed at, because when you can see someone's new, it's just good to see that they're actively participating anyway, doesn't matter that they're not making a perfect speech. 

Oh and if North Korea (DPRK) or the Vatican (the Holy See) are in your assembly, that's bound to be a laugh because they're so extreme :happy: 

• Dirntbag likes this

SaintJimmy13

SaintJimmy13
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,442 posts
  • Joined Jun 05, 2014
  • 732 rep

So, I might be going away without my parents for the first time in the end of January. That's perfectly fine though, because it's a weekend trip to CERN. CERN. Fucking CERN!!!

Billie Hoe is my hero

Billie Hoe is my hero
  • ♥ Jimmy Sullivan ♥

• 19,067 posts
  • Joined Jun 14, 2005
  • 983 rep

Booked a weekend trip to Kiel next month. I'll by going by boat, so it will be back and forth, but still, I'm excited. :D

Dirntbag

Dirntbag
  • Unsuspicious Individual

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,073 posts
  • Joined Jan 15, 2012
  • 2,868 rep

Thank you so much for this thoughtful reply! It's really putting some of my worries at ease about MUN.

I'm just anxious that I'll sound like an idiot, and also about talking in front of people, yeah, but I'm really scared that I won't do Austria justice or something. I guess the only cure for that is a ton of research, and I wish our teacher would help us a bit more with the research, cause sometimes it's hard to find things. I've really got to know the country inside and out for this to work well, it seems, so thank you for your tips for the research also!

I'm lucky we're just Austria. Pretty small/not prominent, but also quite progressive in terms of human rights/environmental things. Hopefully I can make the most of it!

November's Storms

November's Storms
  • Welcome to Paradise

• 10,673 posts
  • Joined Feb 09, 2010
  • 4,458 rep

Has anyone used Air Bnb before? It looks too good to be true! Kat and I are still planning our Portugal trip and despite my best efforts Couchsurfing isn't happening. Almost nobody replied and those who did said no. Still, Air BnB looks like a good alternative.

Emilie.

Emilie.
  • Super Nintendo Chalmers

• 14,628 posts
  • Joined Jun 18, 2010
  • 4,692 rep

My dad's really into food and architecture. He wanted to eat some local, traditional food. Now we're going to America we're kinda unsure what food that might be. I don't just want him to try hamburgers or something. Are there any tourist-y food places around Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Anaheim, or close? I know I wanna try jambalaya, 'cause in high school cooking class someone made that for American week and it smelled really good. And I'm gonna try biscuits and gravy just to give it a shot 

I've also found LA architecture tours that I think he'd like. And a self-guided one in Las Vegas. Are they worth it or does that sound too boring?

Juliette

Juliette
  • Wanderlust

• 9,107 posts
  • Joined May 04, 2007
  • 1,126 rep

Has anyone used Air Bnb before? It looks too good to be true! Kat and I are still planning our Portugal trip and despite my best efforts Couchsurfing isn't happening. Almost nobody replied and those who did said no. Still, Air BnB looks like a good alternative.

I've just got back from 3 weeks travelling around Croatia and used Air B&B for almost everywhere I stayed and I'd recommend it. It worked out about the same price as staying in hostels most of the time but we had studio apartments to ourselves, so yeah I'd say it's pretty good!

My travel blog about my trip to Edinburgh: http://placesandpage...e-to-the-castle

Bit late but if you're ever in Edinburgh again and want to find more local, vintage type shops I can definitely recommend places to go!

• November's Storms and Vesper like this

Advertising

Juliette

Juliette
  • Wanderlust

• 9,107 posts
  • Joined May 04, 2007
  • 1,126 rep

Double post, oh well.

If anyone cares I'm doing a travel blog thing.

http://starrynightsc....wordpress.com/

Mary711

Mary711

• 8,439 posts
  • Joined Jun 30, 2010
  • 2,344 rep

It's been so long since I last travelled... We're planning a weekend for our anniversary in December at the Baltic Sea though. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users