Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

The Travel Thread

• Please log in to reply
3537 replies to this topic

Billie Hoe is my hero

Billie Hoe is my hero
  • ♥ Jimmy Sullivan ♥

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,885 posts
  • Joined Jun 14, 2005
  • 903 rep

It's been over a week since I got back but wow Reykjavik and Iceland generally is an awesome place to go.  The city is really nice, the countryside is out of this world and the food and drink are great (but admittedly expensive!).

Definitely would go back and for more time.  Would be a good place to hire a 4x4 and drive around for a week or two.

Jealous! Want to go there so bad. :D

November's Storms

November's Storms
  • Welcome to Paradise

• 10,578 posts
  • Joined Feb 09, 2010
  • 4,412 rep

It's been over a week since I got back but wow Reykjavik and Iceland generally is an awesome place to go.  The city is really nice, the countryside is out of this world and the food and drink are great (but admittedly expensive!).

Definitely would go back and for more time.  Would be a good place to hire a 4x4 and drive around for a week or two.

I really want to visit Iceland someday. How did you get there?

lizziebix

lizziebix
  • I used to make great reservations!

• 22,307 posts
  • Joined Sep 15, 2009
  • 6,107 rep
Thinking about the Wisconsin Dells for next weekend. Might be a nice couple day get away.

Vesper

Vesper
  • Outlander

• 17,997 posts
  • Joined Jun 10, 2010
  • 6,619 rep

Edinburgh was lovely! More when I can be arsed... 

Had such beautiful weather. :) 

• Juliette and Not Anyone. like this

CristhyneS

CristhyneS
  • Dominated Love Slave

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,641 posts
  • Joined Sep 07, 2005
  • 1,026 rep

I'm thinking about visiting Chicago next February. I hear it's not the best time of the year to go there, but it's the only time I can, seeing as I have a Delta Airlines voucher for 300$ and apperently that can fly from Boston to Chicago and then from Chicago to NYC. 

Khaleesi.

Khaleesi.
  • #sneakyoutlaw

• 19,357 posts
  • Joined Jul 31, 2005
  • 3,770 rep

booked my flight to go see ryan in november. i'm getting more comfortable about this whole flying thing (airports specifically), so yay. :D also, my flights were 60% off so that's awesome.

Karen.

Karen.
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,251 posts
  • Joined Apr 25, 2010
  • 374 rep
Off to London for the weekend. Just gotta get through work first.

November's Storms

November's Storms
  • Welcome to Paradise

• 10,578 posts
  • Joined Feb 09, 2010
  • 4,412 rep

Off to London for the weekend. Just gotta get through work first.

You're going just this weekend I assume? I'm gonna be there from the 16th-18th if anyone is around.

Karen.

Karen.
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,251 posts
  • Joined Apr 25, 2010
  • 374 rep

You're going just this weekend I assume? I'm gonna be there from the 16th-18th if anyone is around.

Yeah, back to work on Mon! Enjoy!

November's Storms

November's Storms
  • Welcome to Paradise

• 10,578 posts
  • Joined Feb 09, 2010
  • 4,412 rep

Off to London baby! Won't be doing much tourist stuff but it's always nice to fly as a passenger for a change! :happy:

Mar

Mar
  • Streets ahead

• 18,010 posts
  • Joined Jul 23, 2009
  • 4,877 rep

I'm thinking about visiting Chicago next February. I hear it's not the best time of the year to go there, but it's the only time I can, seeing as I have a Delta Airlines voucher for 300$ and apperently that can fly from Boston to Chicago and then from Chicago to NYC. 

I feel like I haven't seen you around here in a while! :drinks:

Anyway, yeah, Chicago in the winter is ... interesting, to say the least :lol: But it's also a city where most times, the city is so used to snow and cold that it never like, shuts down or anything when it gets really bad. Waiting for buses and trains in the wind/cold and snow isn't the most fun pastime, but the systems do still run in shit weather so again, it's not like you are necessarily completely limited in your activities if bad weather hits. And it doesn't always! I've been to Chicago in the winter a lot and for as many times we've had to deal with snowstorms and -20 degree temperatures, we've had warmer days (still requiring coats and such, but very bearable) and sunny/partly cloudy days. Of course, I'm saying this as someone who does live in a place where we have winters, so my idea of bearable and your idea of bearable may be very different :lol:

• CristhyneS likes this

Stacie Anne

Stacie Anne
  • 12,356 posts
  • Joined Jun 21, 2006
  • 7,040 rep
I really need to go on holiday. I've never really traveled outside the UK and it's getting quite boring. but of course, I'm poorer it needs to be somewhere cheap & cheerful. time to start looking & planning, hopefully next summer I'll be able to do it, gives me enough time to scrape some money together :)

Juliette

Juliette
  • Wanderlust

• 9,085 posts
  • Joined May 04, 2007
  • 1,102 rep

One week til Croatia  :runaround: Still haven't even booked everything, I hate being this unorganised & it's stressing me out no end but it's so hard when I'm going to be travelling around for a while. 

Billie Hoe is my hero

Billie Hoe is my hero
  • ♥ Jimmy Sullivan ♥

• 18,885 posts
  • Joined Jun 14, 2005
  • 903 rep

I really need to go on holiday. I've never really traveled outside the UK and it's getting quite boring. but of course, I'm poorer it needs to be somewhere cheap & cheerful. time to start looking & planning, hopefully next summer I'll be able to do it, gives me enough time to scrape some money together :)

If you want to go somewhere cheap and nice, I would recommend Eastern Europe. :) I personally love Riga (Latvia), Bratislava (Slovakia) and Tallinn (Estonia).

You can get a very good price on flights and hotel packages through Airbaltic. Hotels, food, spa, shopping you name it, is very cheap in those countries. Bratislava is pretty much the same as Prague, just more reasonable since it's not so many tourists there, yet. :)  

• Stacie Anne likes this

Lindsay

Lindsay
  • Tittysprinkles

• 5,925 posts
  • Joined Mar 08, 2010
  • 3,942 rep

Trying to figure out when I should book my flights to go see Paul at Christmas. Ideally, I would like to go Dec 22 - Jan 10, but the problem is that I'm hopefully doing a work term next semester, and it seems a lot of them are requiring applicants to start on Jan 5th. There's a possibility they may be flexible with start dates though so I duno. :lol: I haven't gotten any calls yet for interviews so if I don't hear anything in a couple weeks, think I'm just going to book it for the longer period and take my chances... otherwise the prices will just keep going up if I keep waiting. I hate this part of holidays. :P

Also was talking to my friend and I think instead of Vegas, we're planning to do a NYC trip next year (granted I can get time off). :D I haven't been in a few years, and both times have been with family so it would be really fun to go with a friend instead! Hopefully it works out. 

Advertising

CristhyneS

CristhyneS
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,641 posts
  • Joined Sep 07, 2005
  • 1,026 rep

I feel like I haven't seen you around here in a while! :drinks:

Anyway, yeah, Chicago in the winter is ... interesting, to say the least :lol: But it's also a city where most times, the city is so used to snow and cold that it never like, shuts down or anything when it gets really bad. Waiting for buses and trains in the wind/cold and snow isn't the most fun pastime, but the systems do still run in shit weather so again, it's not like you are necessarily completely limited in your activities if bad weather hits. And it doesn't always! I've been to Chicago in the winter a lot and for as many times we've had to deal with snowstorms and -20 degree temperatures, we've had warmer days (still requiring coats and such, but very bearable) and sunny/partly cloudy days. Of course, I'm saying this as someone who does live in a place where we have winters, so my idea of bearable and your idea of bearable may be very different :lol:

I haven't been around for a while, but I missed you all! :)

Well yes, where I live the definition of winter is "cloudy, 15°C weather" hahaha. But this year in Boston we had to endure a snowstorm (and I had to walk in very high heels in that) and really cold temperatures, and I survived. I think I can handle Chicago. I just hope more of my friends from the delegation want to visit Chicago, so I don't have to do the trip alone. 

lizziebix

lizziebix

• 22,307 posts
  • Joined Sep 15, 2009
  • 6,107 rep

I haven't been around for a while, but I missed you all! :)

Well yes, where I live the definition of winter is "cloudy, 15°C weather" hahaha. But this year in Boston we had to endure a snowstorm (and I had to walk in very high heels in that) and really cold temperatures, and I survived. I think I can handle Chicago. I just hope more of my friends from the delegation want to visit Chicago, so I don't have to do the trip alone. 

I didn't see you'd mentioned coming to Chicago (my hometown) until Mar responded.  Don't forget to get in touch with me if you do visit so we can meet up and do wintry stuff!  :)

• CristhyneS likes this

CristhyneS

CristhyneS
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,641 posts
  • Joined Sep 07, 2005
  • 1,026 rep

I didn't see you'd mentioned coming to Chicago (my hometown) until Mar responded.  Don't forget to get in touch with me if you do visit so we can meet up and do wintry stuff!  :)

Oh! I sure will! :D

• lizziebix likes this

lizziebix

lizziebix

• 22,307 posts
  • Joined Sep 15, 2009
  • 6,107 rep

Love that Chicago is getting some GDC love.  You'll make the 5th GDC'er I'll have met (hopefully) outside of a concert situation.  :)

Comedy & Tragedy

Comedy & Tragedy
  • They Say Of The Acropolis Where The Parthenon Is

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,674 posts
  • Joined Apr 13, 2009
  • 855 rep

I need to get out of here for a while, probably next year. I have the year off so I might as well do something with it. But I don't know if I'm gonna save up (unlikely) and go interrailing, or just move around within one country, or settle down somewhere for a few months. I need to try and figure it out but I have no idea where to start =/

She-Loves-Him

She-Loves-Him
  • chase that disco ball around

• 13,274 posts
  • Joined Mar 05, 2006
  • 2,307 rep

Love that Chicago is getting some GDC love.  You'll make the 5th GDC'er I'll have met (hopefully) outside of a concert situation.  :)

I think Rob and I still have a Porter voucher from when I was kicked off the flight last Christmas so we were thinking about going to either Chicago, NYC or Boston for a weekend.
  • lizziebix likes this

lizziebix

lizziebix

• 22,307 posts
  • Joined Sep 15, 2009
  • 6,107 rep

I think Rob and I still have a Porter voucher from when I was kicked off the flight last Christmas so we were thinking about going to either Chicago, NYC or Boston for a weekend.

You know how I feel about Chicago.  But NYC and Boston are also very nice places to visit even if it's only for a couple of days.  I can give you some restaurant suggestions in all three cities - for when you decided.

But of course we will ABSOLUTELY get together if you guys decided to come visit.

btw...hubby's getting used to doing this and is actually starting to like meeting all these new people.  :)

• Jaymee!! likes this

CristhyneS

CristhyneS
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,641 posts
  • Joined Sep 07, 2005
  • 1,026 rep

Any chances this could happen in February? :lol:  Hahaha

She-Loves-Him

She-Loves-Him

• 13,274 posts
  • Joined Mar 05, 2006
  • 2,307 rep

Any chances this could happen in February? :lol:  Hahaha

I'm close enough that it could happen again in February ;)

We were hoping to go in October/November cause I have a feeling the voucher would expire in December cause it will have been a year by then.

CristhyneS

CristhyneS
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,641 posts
  • Joined Sep 07, 2005
  • 1,026 rep

I'm close enough that it could happen again in February ;)

We were hoping to go in October/November cause I have a feeling the voucher would expire in December cause it will have been a year by then.

That'd be nice :D

I will most likely go to Boston on February for HNMUN (if we're ever able to purchase the plane tickets in this fucked up country). And then I might go to Chicago because I also have a voucher since Delta Airlines got us stranded at the Atlanta airport for a good 18 hours and their personnel very politely told us that "the floor is quite comfy for sleeping". Otherwise I'd go NYC. 

She-Loves-Him

She-Loves-Him

• 13,274 posts
  • Joined Mar 05, 2006
  • 2,307 rep

That'd be nice :D

I will most likely go to Boston on February for HNMUN (if we're ever able to purchase the plane tickets in this fucked up country). And then I might go to Chicago because I also have a voucher since Delta Airlines got us stranded at the Atlanta airport for a good 18 hours and their personnel very politely told us that "the floor is quite comfy for sleeping". Otherwise I'd go NYC. 

Rob's dad has a $3400 Delta credit that he apparently said we could use so we're trying to figure out the wisest way to use it :D 

Juliette

Juliette
  • Wanderlust

• 9,085 posts
  • Joined May 04, 2007
  • 1,102 rep

Has anyone got any travel tips for Venice? Gonna be there for 3 days and from what I've read they are out to fuck over tourists at every turn so I'm slightly apprehensive. 

AlissaGoesRAWR

AlissaGoesRAWR
  • Tomnomnom's Publicist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,974 posts
  • Joined May 14, 2012
  • 4,238 rep

Four months ago today we were leaving on a plane to come back from Maui... I still honestly can't even fathom we were there sometimes. It all happened in such a whirlwind. At least we have the pretty pictures to remember it by! :o

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users