Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

The Travel Thread

• Please log in to reply
3417 replies to this topic

Emilie.

Emilie.
  • That's a smashing blouse you have on

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,402 posts
  • Joined Jun 18, 2010
  • 4,072 rep

The one thing that sucks about going away with my grandma is she's such a nervous driver it's hell trying to direct her. We got to my auntie's house in the morning and needed to go get groceries. The grocery store was only a 2 minute drive down one street, no turn-offs or anything. But somehow she got nervous, turned left somewhere, and we ended up on the highway driving back towards home :rolleyes: Then later she almost hit someone and she's still insisting that their car magically teleported into the space she was turning into.

Mary711

Mary711
  • Living for the next show

• 8,396 posts
  • Joined Jun 30, 2010
  • 2,290 rep

How about Sicily? Kat and I are looking for a European sun holiday which won't be too expensive. Can anyone give a recommendation?

If you don't want to spend much I'd recommend Majorca. It's lovely and they have a lot of cheap hotels there.

Vesper

Vesper
  • Sand Snake

• 17,801 posts
  • Joined Jun 10, 2010
  • 6,500 rep

I love to travel! I have been to many airports already this year :)

Just the airports? :P

colour_me_stupid_

colour_me_stupid_
  • disappearin' in the fade

• 8,193 posts
  • Joined Jan 07, 2007
  • 1,499 rep

How about Sicily? Kat and I are looking for a European sun holiday which won't be too expensive. Can anyone give a recommendation?

I adore Barcelona but it's not cheap so probably not what you two are looking for. I was getting my brows done last week and the lady told me she was in Bulgaria and it was super cheap! Glen and I are heading to albufeira (sp?) and people have been telling me it's cheap enough :)

She-Loves-Him

She-Loves-Him
  • Have you seen my bear Tibbers?

• 12,973 posts
  • Joined Mar 05, 2006
  • 2,183 rep

I adore Barcelona but it's not cheap so probably not what you two are looking for. I was getting my brows done last week and the lady told me she was in Bulgaria and it was super cheap! Glen and I are heading to albufeira (sp?) and people have been telling me it's cheap enough :)

Fucking Europeans and your ability to travel cheaply and easily, honestly :(

BillieJoe727

BillieJoe727
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts
  • Joined Jul 29, 2009
  • 169 rep

Just the airports? :P

LOL, nope!

So far I have been to Orlando, Rome, Italy and NYC . Then in August I am going to Chicago :)

lizziebix

lizziebix
  • I used to make great reservations!

• 21,651 posts
  • Joined Sep 15, 2009
  • 5,754 rep

LOL, nope!

So far I have been to Orlando, Rome, Italy and NYC . Then in August I am going to Chicago :)

To Chicago? For a con?
  • Lady Nightlife likes this

November's Storms

November's Storms
  • Welcome to Paradise

• 10,473 posts
  • Joined Feb 09, 2010
  • 4,358 rep

Fucking Europeans and your ability to travel cheaply and easily, honestly :(

Gotta love Ryanair! And that's before I started working for them. It's hardly 1st class service but damn it's often more expensive to get to the airport.

Although I've been listening to a lot of travel podcasts lately and I'm realizing just how much we Europeans take things for granted. So many different cultures in such a small space that is so easy to move in? I've got such wanderlust right now.

Lady Nightlife

Lady Nightlife
  • Always You, Never A Replacement

• 10,593 posts
  • Joined Dec 29, 2012
  • 9,996 rep

To Chicago? For a con?

She and I are going together :D

Philly was so great, dang!!!! Such a cool city. Ate so much food I will probably be fat for years, ran around all over the place seeing cool things, and just generally soaked up the vibes from the city. My friend and I made a spontaneous decision to drive into Brooklyn and see Avicii Saturday night and it was insanely awesome. I love NYC and it was great to be able to just drive in and hang out there for a few hours before the show. I pretty much 100% unplugged from social media/cell phone for the weekend and it was aaaaamazing. Must do that more often. 

• BillieJoe727 likes this

lizziebix

lizziebix
  • I used to make great reservations!

• 21,651 posts
  • Joined Sep 15, 2009
  • 5,754 rep

She and I are going together :D

WHAT???????????? You didn't mention that part. Details on your travel plans NOW!!!!!!!!!!

And more importantly - Will there be time to meet up?

Lady Nightlife

Lady Nightlife
  • Always You, Never A Replacement

• 10,593 posts
  • Joined Dec 29, 2012
  • 9,996 rep

WHAT???????????? You didn't mention that part. Details on your travel plans NOW!!!!!!!!!!

And more importantly - Will there be time to meet up?

I'll start a group PM for us :P

AlissaGoesRAWR

AlissaGoesRAWR
  • Flareon my Wayward Son

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,324 posts
  • Joined May 14, 2012
  • 3,515 rep

So, I may be going to Florida in late winter/early spring, once my vacation resets on Jan. 1. I have one friend who lives in Clearwater in the winter, my sister-in-law lives in Sarasota and then my best friend might be getting a job at SeaWorld for the winter, too. So I have options. The Clearwater friend and his mom just invited Brandon and I to stay, so I'm super pumped if it can happen and we can afford to get there...

She said Clearwater has an aquarium that houses Winter the dolphin, from the movie Dolphin Tale, who swims with a prosthetic tail. I cried at that movie. No shame. And I will cry if I get to see that dolphin. :cry: But I'm sure there are other nice things in Florida, too. Like no snow in January. :D

BillieJoe727

BillieJoe727
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts
  • Joined Jul 29, 2009
  • 169 rep

WHAT???????????? You didn't mention that part. Details on your travel plans NOW!!!!!!!!!!And more importantly - Will there be time to meet up?

Yeah, it's going to be great!!

Emilie.

Emilie.

• 13,402 posts
  • Joined Jun 18, 2010
  • 4,072 rep

Dad and I have been talking about going on a trip somewhere in the next few years. It's hard to decide on a place because everyone wants different things. I want to see some nice museums, the kids want theme parks and fun kiddy stuff, dad wants to go somewhere with nice history to learn about and food that we wouldn't necessarily get to experience in australia. We also would like somewhere where we could get by with mostly English. Are there any nice places we could go that would be good for all of us? So far the kids are convincing dad to go to America. I think that'd be good 'cause I've always wanted to go to America too and I read about some nice museums, and dad's happy enough with the idea. But I still think he'd prefer somewhere in Europe

Anyway, wherever we pick it looks like we'll really be going somewhere. I'm excited 'cause we've never gone anywhere as a family other than the Sunshine Coast, and that's only like half an hour up the road. And my brother's never been on a plane before so I'm excited to see how he might go with that. He's mostly the reason I wasn't keen on going places dad wanted to go. Dad really just wanted to go somewhere with a lot of history, to learn more about that and try some nice food. And I would love to go on a trip like that if it was just us two. But the kids would not be interested in that at all. And my brother wouldn't even understand any of the history side of it.

November's Storms

November's Storms
  • Welcome to Paradise

• 10,473 posts
  • Joined Feb 09, 2010
  • 4,358 rep

Has anyone done Europe by rail before? The most popular ways are by Interrail (or Eurail if you're living outside Europe) and I'm very curious about it. Looking at getting time off work in Winter and going. Help would be appreciated! 

If you have the time and money then I'd say go to Europe. It's smaller in landmass than North America and with a huge amount of cultural diversity. Thanks to the European Union the borders are usually pretty open, it's easy to move around, you'd mostly be using one currency across the whole continent. While most European countries have their own language, it's usually pretty easy to get by with just using English. It'll have all the theme parks, historical locations, areas of natural beauty and interesting cities you could imagine!

Advertising

Emilie.

Emilie.

• 13,402 posts
  • Joined Jun 18, 2010
  • 4,072 rep

If you have the time and money then I'd say go to Europe. It's smaller in landmass than North America and with a huge amount of cultural diversity. Thanks to the European Union the borders are usually pretty open, it's easy to move around, you'd mostly be using one currency across the whole continent. While most European countries have their own language, it's usually pretty easy to get by with just using English. It'll have all the theme parks, historical locations, areas of natural beauty and interesting cities you could imagine!

Sounds good. Are there any particular countries you think would be best? Something that kinda intimidated (not the right word but close enough) me about going to Europe is there's just so much I wouldn't know how to choose.

November's Storms

November's Storms
  • Welcome to Paradise

• 10,473 posts
  • Joined Feb 09, 2010
  • 4,358 rep

Sounds good. Are there any particular countries you think would be best? Something that kinda intimidated (not the right word but close enough) me about going to Europe is there's just so much I wouldn't know how to choose.

If you don't want to go through too much culture shock I'd stick to Western and Northern Europe. Places like Britain, Ireland, Scandanavia, Netherlands, Germany etc. All interesting places but all places that have a nice level of English speakers and nothing too culturally wild or intimidating.

• Billie Hoe is my hero likes this

Emilie.

Emilie.

• 13,402 posts
  • Joined Jun 18, 2010
  • 4,072 rep

If you don't want to go through too much culture shock I'd stick to Western and Northern Europe. Places like Britain, Ireland, Scandanavia, Netherlands, Germany etc. All interesting places but all places that have a nice level of English speakers and nothing too culturally wild or intimidating.

Cool, I might suggest it to dad. Thanks :happy:

Backyard Skulls

Backyard Skulls
  • Dominated Love Slave

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,104 posts
  • Joined Apr 30, 2009
  • 979 rep
Going to Stornoway on Monday. Hopefully going to one of my fav beaches when we're over :happy: It's gonna be so busy, the heb celt fest is on.

bollard_11

bollard_11
  • Disposable Hero

• 8,916 posts
  • Joined Apr 17, 2009
  • 2,818 rep
Heading to Portugal with Rebecca next week! Never been to Portugal so really curious to see what it's like!

November's Storms

November's Storms
  • Welcome to Paradise

• 10,473 posts
  • Joined Feb 09, 2010
  • 4,358 rep

Heading to Portugal with Rebecca next week! Never been to Portugal so really curious to see what it's like!

Where are you going?

bollard_11

bollard_11
  • Disposable Hero

• 8,916 posts
  • Joined Apr 17, 2009
  • 2,818 rep

Where are you going?

Albuferia

Vesper

Vesper
  • Sand Snake

• 17,801 posts
  • Joined Jun 10, 2010
  • 6,500 rep

Off to the Peak District tomorrow... not strictly too far, but it's supposed to be super nice. 

November's Storms

November's Storms
  • Welcome to Paradise

• 10,473 posts
  • Joined Feb 09, 2010
  • 4,358 rep

Albuferia

I'd ask some of the Portuguese I work with here for any recommendations but they've all basically abandoned the Algarve to the British/Irish/Germans etc.

Cruise

Cruise
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts
  • Joined Feb 27, 2010
  • 397 rep

So just got back from a comedy cruise yesterday. We hit 8m swells, which on itself isn't that common but with the ship being close to the shore it was really strange and the ship got as close as it could safely to the shore to get flatter seas. I was perfectly fine with the seas and it just added to the fun, the majority of passengers were seas sick though. Meaning we had more or the ship to ourselves. 

This is the fun we had. This is on deck 14 so we are way above the water and yet it still looks huge. 

• SaintJimmy13 likes this

SaintJimmy13

SaintJimmy13
  • Brat

• PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • Joined Jun 05, 2014
  • 72 rep

I love the sea. I can't swim and I live inland on a hill, but I still love being on boats.

Billie Hoe is my hero

Billie Hoe is my hero
  • ♥ Jimmy Sullivan ♥

• 18,671 posts
  • Joined Jun 14, 2005
  • 838 rep

I'm going on a cruise in the Mediterranean sea from this Saturday with my sisters. Our stateroom has a balcony, so I'm more than ready to go. :D We'll see Kotor, Montenegro and Corfu, Athens, Mykonos and Argostoli in Greece.

I love the sea. I can't swim and I live inland on a hill, but I still love being on boats.

You can always learn. :) 

Love boats, the sea and swimming. :D

SaintJimmy13

SaintJimmy13
  • Brat

• PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • Joined Jun 05, 2014
  • 72 rep

I had swimming lessons at school for 6 years, I couldn't swim without a float by the end of it. Granted, the first 3 years were with an aboslute bastard of a teacher, but I still spent the whole time in the bottom class. I still love just looking out at the sea though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users