Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Listen to Static Noise 94: We give our thoughts on Demolicious.

Photo

The Travel Thread

• Please log in to reply
3275 replies to this topic

Backyard Skulls

Backyard Skulls
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,756 posts
  • Joined Apr 30, 2009
  • 800 rep
I'm more nervous for the build up, rather than the actual flight. The take off is the best bit, it's so exciting!
I only ever get sore ears when the plane is landing for some reason? I was deaf for a good ten minutes once we landed in Amsterdam :P

AlissaGoesRAWR

AlissaGoesRAWR
  • Flareon my Wayward Son

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,601 posts
  • Joined May 14, 2012
  • 2,966 rep

I'm very excited for it, I think I'll enjoy it, but he's a chronic worrier and hates not being in control of things (same with my parents, which is why I've never been on a plane). Their overactive imaginations kick in and they expect the worst since there's nothing they can do to stop it.

Mar

Mar
  • Streets ahead

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,105 posts
  • Joined Jul 23, 2009
  • 4,285 rep

I'm not too worried, but my fiancé can barely handle roller coasters, so I dunno how this is going to work.  :lol:

Not a very good trait to have, given where you live! :lol:

Obviously I can't help with advice on flying (since I'm an #honorarytrainbuddy), but please don't forget earplugs and an eyemask. Even if you think you can fall asleep in any conditions, traveling is such a different ballgame. And wear comfortable clothing; this ain't the '60s anymore when people dressed up for travel :lol:. The last thing you'd want on those already tight seats is trying to shift in your chair and your clothes being so tight that you can't move!

Now a list of me being nosy questions: What airline? How long's the flight? Where do you leave from? Layovers?

AlissaGoesRAWR

AlissaGoesRAWR
  • Flareon my Wayward Son

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,601 posts
  • Joined May 14, 2012
  • 2,966 rep

Not a very good trait to have, given where you live! :lol:

Obviously I can't help with advice on flying (since I'm an #honorarytrainbuddy), but please don't forget earplugs and an eyemask. Even if you think you can fall asleep in any conditions, traveling is such a different ballgame. And wear comfortable clothing; this ain't the '60s anymore when people dressed up for travel :lol:. The last thing you'd want on those already tight seats is trying to shift in your chair and your clothes being so tight that you can't move!

Now a list of me being nosy questions: What airline? How long's the flight? Where do you leave from? Layovers?

I don't have the paperwork with me, so most of this is estimates, but we leave from Cleveland 7 a.m. May 12 and get to the island sometime in the early evening. We have a 2-hour layover in Dallas around noonish I think? And then we land in Kahului Airport. It's American Airlines. As you can see, I totally didn't just give the travel agent $5,000 and say "get me to Hawaii, bitch, I don't care how!" :lol: I'll check out the paperwork tonight and give you more specifics. Due to all the time changes and stuff, it's hard to tell how long exactly it'll take, but I know the flight back is worse and we're going to be in the air a very long time!

Honestly, I think I'm going to be so braindead by then from all the dramatic bull shit that will like ensue that Saturday that I'm just going to pass out... Brandon will just watch movies the whole time, but my dad and I have this special trait of being borderline comatose no matter the situation. Comfortable clothes for sure though. I ain't about to give a shit what I look like by then.

Mar

Mar
  • Streets ahead

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,105 posts
  • Joined Jul 23, 2009
  • 4,285 rep

I don't have the paperwork with me, so most of this is estimates, but we leave from Cleveland 7 a.m. May 12 and get to the island sometime in the early evening. We have a 2-hour layover in Dallas around noonish I think? And then we land in Kahului Airport. It's American Airlines. As you can see, I totally didn't just give the travel agent $5,000 and say "get me to Hawaii, bitch, I don't care how!" :lol: I'll check out the paperwork tonight and give you more specifics. Due to all the time changes and stuff, it's hard to tell how long exactly it'll take, but I know the flight back is worse and we're going to be in the air a very long time!

Honestly, I think I'm going to be so braindead by then from all the dramatic bull shit that will like ensue that Saturday that I'm just going to pass out... Brandon will just watch movies the whole time, but my dad and I have this special trait of being borderline comatose no matter the situation. Comfortable clothes for sure though. I ain't about to give a shit what I look like by then.

Aww, cute, planes still leaving out of Hopkins! :') (No really, I feel so bad for everyone in the area, that airport is so fucked thanks to United closing the hub)

So, about 12 hours, give or take? Now, keep in mind, I'm basing my experience on a different mode of transportation, a more comfortable one, a more private one usually and one I'm familiar with, but sometimes a trip that long can be good, because you'll HAVE the opportunity to sleep decently, yknow? When we do the four-hour Toledo-Chicago train, it's just too short of a trip for me to fall asleep on, even when we have the private sleepers and a bed; my brain just won't let me! Toledo-Washington takes about 12 hours and that is one I can usually fall asleep on, but, again, the variables are different. Between being drained from the wedding and from just getting on the plane, once you guys get settled, I think it may be easier. I wouldn't try to fall asleep immediately, though, because it'll just be so fitful and frustrating that you won't and it could keep you awake. Watch a movie or listen to some music to relax you first.

lizziebix

lizziebix
  • I make great reservations!

• 20,833 posts
  • Joined Sep 15, 2009
  • 5,329 rep

Maui's lovely, Alissa, you're going to love it.  So many beautiful things to see and do.  One of our favorite vacations.

Hubby used to be afraid to fly (I'm not the best at it actually).  The first few times we were on a plane together hubby sat rimrod straight in his seat and wouldn't move, eat or go to the bathroom.  But then he had to fly to Paris for work with work associates and couldn't act that why.  Said it was one of the best experiences and he's liked flying ever since.  

Even though I find it a bit scary, I LOVE when you land in a new and magical place.  Always the very best part of traveling.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users