Agija

The Travel Thread

The Insider
7 hours ago, AlissaGoesRAWR said:

sunset that time of year. 

Wow really - thanks

12 hours ago, Eva said:

Haven't been to Gilman but 10 PM is so early for a big city. You'll be fine.

Its not really a big gig - its starts at 5pm😁

11 hours ago, Adorkable said:

https://www.afar.com/magazine/everything-you-need-to-know-to-buy-legal-weed-in-california

Here is an article that gvies some tips on where to buy it. However, you need to be careful. Weed is legal in CA, but it it illegal at a federal level. So while US citizens can technically get arrested if the feds choose too, they won't. A foreigner can not only get thrown out of the country but banned for life.   

Be careful with the Uber, you need to make sure that you verify the driver. A young girl got into a car that she thought was an Uber and was killed. This is my mom vibes coming out. I have never been to Oakland but I've heard that Gilman is in a not great neighborhood, be careful 

I'd feel safer if you were with me🤞

8 hours ago, Montclare said:

I left there around 9pm and walked back to the BART stop, no issues.  The area has gentrified a lot.  There's a Whole Foods a couple blocks away.

Hubby isnt gonna feel comfortable with that.  I think I will get him to hang out somewhere & meet me.  He hates live music😮

8 hours ago, Beerjeezus said:

@The Insider Visit that place that wouldn't give me an internship 

I intend to - do you think they have taste testing?

Beerjeezus
6 hours ago, The Insider said:

I intend to - do you think they have taste testing?

I don't know, they might...If they're willing to give you a tour they might as well do a tasting, but who knows. But I'm sure it's a place where you can ask for advice.

I'd say come here instead - weed is illegal to grow and sell but you can't get into any legal trouble if you get some.

• Like 1

AlissaGoesRAWR
10 hours ago, The Insider said:

Hubby isnt gonna feel comfortable with that.  I think I will get him to hang out somewhere & meet me.  He hates live music

There’s a small brewery next door (I think it’s called Gilman Brewing Co.) ran by really nice people. I’m sure he’d have fun.

A bartender gave me a permanent marker so I could add to the writing on the Gilman front door area, and I am eternally grateful! :D 

• Love 1

The Insider

https://thebashfestival.com/

Can anybody tell me which would be easier to get to by public transport out of  San Jose & Sacramento - we won't have a car the first weekend.

Mar
On 4/19/2019 at 11:41 AM, AlissaGoesRAWR said:

I'll be heading to Baltimore in two weeks for a work conference and I've set aside a few days after to do some exploring for my birthday! (aka eating seafood and hanging out at the National Aquarium) 

But I'm open to any non-fish-themed things if anyone has suggestions. :lol: 

I went to suggest a museum near Camden Yards... Only to find out it closed last year 😔 

On 5/4/2019 at 12:07 AM, The Insider said:

https://thebashfestival.com/

Can anybody tell me which would be easier to get to by public transport out of  San Jose & Sacramento - we won't have a car the first weekend.

I've never been to either city, but I believe San Jose would be easier, since it's bigger and you could take Caltrain from farther north if need be. 

AlissaGoesRAWR
2 hours ago, Mar said:

I went to suggest a museum near Camden Yards... Only to find out it closed last year 😔 

Which one was that? :( Brandon wants to do the Babe Ruth one, so it better not be that one!

Mar
12 hours ago, AlissaGoesRAWR said:

Which one was that? :( Brandon wants to do the Babe Ruth one, so it better not be that one!

No, it was a popular culture/entertainment one, he would've loved it, but it looks like the curator donated the collection to the Library of Congress. I think there's a Ripley's Believe it or Not at the Inner Harbor. The only other place I've been to in Baltimore in recent years was the B&O Railroad Museum (#trainbuddy), but other than the Chessie collection, idk that'll be much interest to you! 😄

She-Loves-Him
On 5/5/2019 at 3:21 PM, Mar said:

B&O Railroad Museum

As in, the railroad in Monopoly??

lizziebix
2 hours ago, She-Loves-Him said:

B&O railroad company started in 1838 and Monopoly came out in 1935, so yeah, it’s one and the same.   Oh and the museum opened in1953. 

Mar
7 hours ago, She-Loves-Him said:

4 hours ago, lizziebix said:

B&O railroad company started in 1838 and Monopoly came out in 1935, so yeah, it’s one and the same.   Oh and the museum opened in1953. 

Well DAMMMMMMMMMMNNNNNNNN look at Train Buddy Mar coming through with info here! :lol: But yes, it is that railroad. I've actually been to the museum twice in my life because my stupid silly Sammy (RIP) broke my mom's Chessie Christmas tree ornament and when my dad and I went to Baltimore in 2012, we had to go back and buy a replacement!

• Love 1

J a c

Hi guys, I am going to visit NY for the first time in a week. Do you have any special recommendation for a nice live music venue? I am especially looking for places where local or emerging artists play, punk rock bands are a plus :D 

Paola17

So I may be going to LA for 4 days in about 2 weeks.

I have seen some things I'd like to check out, but is there anything that one would recommend is a must? 
(Preferably it being easy to get to in public transportation or walking, or a short uber ride - short being under an hr? 30min?)

Lindsay

Less than a week until the Caribbean!! :D 

• Like 1

monkeyupinspace

currently planning a trip to the goodwood festival of speed in chichester / west sussex / south england with my brother.. fast, exotic cars and beautiful or interesting sights besides the festival to explore. really excited to go there. 😄

• Like 1

Little Boy Named Airplane

We're now leaving in exactly 50 days!!
We'll land at San Francisco. We're staying here 4 days. (We already bought our tickets for the Giants v. DiamondBacks (The view at the Oracle Park look awesome!!)) We bought our tickets for the Alcatraz tour too. 
Then we'll go to Oakland, Santa Maria and finish the trip at Los Angeles and go to Universal Studio.

So 12 days in California 😍 It's going to be my biggest trip ever.  Quebec - SF is like an 8 hours flight.

I just realized that we bought our activities and rent the car. But no hotel room..... Damn I know what to do tonight 😂

Lindsay
8 hours ago, Little Boy Named Airplane said:

We'll land at San Francisco. We're staying here 4 days. (We already bought our tickets for the Giants v. DiamondBacks (The view at the Oracle Park look awesome!!)) We bought our tickets for the Alcatraz tour too. 
Then we'll go to Oakland, Santa Maria and finish the trip at Los Angeles and go to Universal Studio.

So 12 days in California 😍 It's going to be my biggest trip ever.  Quebec - SF is like an 8 hours flight.

I just realized that we bought our activities and rent the car. But no hotel room..... Damn I know what to do tonight 😂

San Fran is amazing, I'm so jealous. We went to a game at Oracle Park as well and the view is even better in person! Have so much fun!

• Love 1

lizziebix
9 hours ago, Little Boy Named Airplane said:

Hope you're a Harry Potter fan because that area at Universal is amazing!

Sounds like you're going to have a great trip.  Can't wait to hear all the details!  Enjoy.

• Love 1

Adorkable
19 hours ago, The Insider said:

Home - had a friggin amazing time in the US - thanks to everyone who helped in the lead up.

Loved loved loved San Francisco.

Special thanks to @Adorkable for her words of wisdom when hubby & I saw a bear on our hike - Judi "just throw berries at it - that's what they eat"🤗

I told you it was a black bear and they are basically just big dogs. Scaredy cst.

We may not have been able to meet but at least we got to talk and I know how awful your accent really is! 

Love you 

• Love 1

Lindsay

Canmore/Banff/Lake Lousie next weekend, Kelowna for August long and then Winnipeg for a week! All the travels!

• Like 1

Can't believe I'm leaving to California in 10 fucking days!!
It's so expensive tho... the exchange rate is so high. I asked for 800 USD it costed me 1063$ CAD.
Then we rented the hotels, buy tickets for Universal Studio, Giants game, Alcatraz....
I took my travel insurance, I changed my phone package to have more Gb.

I'll return poor but my head will have a lot of memories.

• Like 1

Joe.

Things to do in Dublin? There for 3 days, with the one full day dedicated to a Foo’s gig, so looking for a few small things to do on the other days before/after late/early flights.

Guinness tour is almost certainly gonna happen, but other than that we have nothing.

Paola17

Starting to plan for another birthday trip to Canada - this time, Montreal ! I'll be going with some friends this time around instead of family this November.

I have some idea of what I'd like to see, but I would love some recommendations on where one must go, what isn't worth it, where to eat/ drink...etc. 

Posted (edited)

Edited by Little Boy Named Airplane

2 hours ago, Paola17 said:

Starting to plan for another birthday trip to Canada - this time, Montreal ! I'll be going with some friends this time around instead of family this November.

I have some idea of what I'd like to see, but I would love some recommendations on where one must go, what isn't worth it, where to eat/ drink...etc. 

If you're going with friends, here is what is the most fun in MTL.

For breakfast there is a great restaurant call ''L'oeufrier''
If you don't like to club, I suggest you the bar named ''Les 2 Pierrots'' 
Otherwise ''Les foufounes électriques''.
For a good meal in the night to drink and eat while talking with friends you have ''Les trois brasseurs''.

Nice visit place:
The Bell Centre (the national hockey team arena for the Montreal Canadiens)
Le Mont-Royal (a nice mountain with a beautiful view)
Basilique Notre-Dame (an impressive neo-gothic church)

If you want to have a good laugh there is a Comedy Club call ''Le Bordel'' on St-Denis street.
And finally there is a 6-flags rollercoaster park in Montreal! Only 40$ if I remember right.

• Like 1