COMETBUS #54 Green Day In China?!

GDM

If i get them, i could do that (for tubbie head too).

That would be awesome! Thanks Tony :happy:

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's pretty cool! Any credit given??

Edit: Just checked myself, boo.

Do they ever give credit to you guys? nooppee... lol. It just makes me laugh.

That would be awesome! Thanks Tony :happy:

Any chance you could order 2? I would ask to get my own but I'm thinking it would be handier to order any Irish ones together in a bunch, and I could just give you the money?

Plus, Paypal confuses me

Haha, greenday.com used my really bad picture of the Cometbus zine for their announcement. hahaha.

Hhahah Oh god.

Did you post it somewhere else? Is there a chance that they not only steal the info from GDA, but also from GDC? :lol:

That's fantastic! Thanks Tony.

ahhhhh i want this :pinch: damn, i haven't seen this magazine in the UK before, if anyone finds out where please post. :shifty::eyebrows:

thanks to the wonderful TANYA, i read this yesterday and YOU GUYS MUST GET THIS. this piece of writing is like no other writing about Green Day that you have read or will ever read.

While Aaron Cometbus is a piece of shit hypocrite (as am I because I love the guy and wave my Cometbus fan-freak flag way high) he writes the most beautiful story of his friendship with Tre, Mike, and Billie (and Bill Schneider and "The Big Three" aka the Jasons/Jeff to us.) For me, this may be the first piece of writing about Green Day that Billie, Mike, and Tre were humanized.

Not that WE would ever lose fact that this is a story about Green Day, but halfway through I started to see the story as one of about longtime friends that anyone could relate too. The fact that WE see hilarious and suprising insights into their personae is the biggest and most shocking gift that Aaron Cometbus has and will ever give me.

Aaron has never been shy to express his complete disdain for Green Day fans and is not kind in his description of us, yet he contridicts himself in so many ways over it, it becomes laughable and ultimately I accept how he feels about Green Day fans as who am I to deny his feelings, yet they are conflicted, and present a one-dimensional view of us, without him knowing us. We are worth humanizing too Mr. Cometbus. (side note: the truest comment Ive ever seen about us as fans actually came from their longtime friend Eggplant in an issue of Absolutely Zippo.) Aaron once again shows himself to be fairly sexist in this novella, probably without even realizing it. His double standard is shocking.

Regardless, that is a small piece of this beautiful story of friendship.

Im sure he distros his work all over the world. If y'all google "zine" and whatever country you live in Im sure you will find a distro in your country.

Abbey

(side note: the truest comment Ive ever seen about us as fans actually came from their longtime friend Eggplant in an issue of Absolutely Zippo.)

Abbey

I'm glad you enjoyed it! I knew you would, despite a few things here and there... and... what did Eggplant say about Green Day fans?

I'm glad you enjoyed it! I knew you would, despite a few things here and there... and... what did Eggplant say about Green Day fans?

Yeah, Im trying not to get bogged down in the fan bashing he does. This is the most autobiographical Cometbus Ive read in...I cant even remember. Aaron really lays himself out there. Shocking to me. Still shocked he wrote a novella about his friendship with Green Day.

i dont have it in front of me, but Eggplant basically said that ultimately he's happy Green Day is still around and if they inspire Americans to let loose their inner weirdo then thats great.

Could you please get one for me too, if you find it in the UK? Will pay everything back ofc.

edit: Oh wait, I found a place where I mightmightmight be able to order it.

Yeah, Im trying not to get bogged down in the fan bashing he does. This is the most autobiographical Cometbus Ive read in...I cant even remember. Aaron really lays himself out there. Shocking to me. Still shocked he wrote a novella about his friendship with Green Day.

i dont have it in front of me, but Eggplant basically said that ultimately he's happy Green Day is still around and if they inspire Americans to let loose their inner weirdo then thats great.

Larry Livermore just reviewed it. MUST. READ. NOW. Do you know if it's available from any online merchants yet?

must..get..hands..on..

I'm kinda looking forward to hearing what he has to say about fans for the most part

Cos I'm pretty sure I'd share some of his views! :lol:

Larry Livermore just reviewed it. MUST. READ. NOW. Do you know if it's available from any online merchants yet?

Purchase it from Last Gasp publishers.

Michael, if you have never read Aaron Cometbus I think you would enjoy him. He also has a new anthology being published called "Add Toner." You should pick that up as well from Last Gasp.

must..get..hands..on..

I'm kinda looking forward to hearing what he has to say about fans for the most part

i dont mean to overstate the fan disdain he has. it is really only a few lines of the book in a few spots. however a smart and insightful "lost-looking middle aged woman" wondered to me if his opinions about fans are shared by the band as well.

must..get..hands..on..

lost looking middle-aged women... glassy-eyed teens... families without fathers... frivolous... decadent...

personally, if he had actually shared views instead of just name-calling, it would not have bothered me.

unfortunately, he chose the low road.

i agree, green day fans can be annoying, but shit... just read it. blah.

btw, he's mostly talking about serial-going Green Day fans... people who go to a lot of shows and Green Day events.

but seriously, it's the best overall thing i've ever read about green day. it's clear he loves his friends.

so i can forgive him...

Purchase it from Last Gasp publishers.

Found them...#54 isn't available just yet, looks like they have up through #53 so it shouldn't be long now...will keep watching the site. Thanks!

Where exactly does he share these 'views'? In this issue or elsewear?

I've heard so many nasty things about Aaron. I don't want to judge because I don't know him, but he's clearly not as reserved when it comes to judging green day fans and assuming every single one is some crazed teenie bopper, so whatever.

Where exactly does he share these 'views'? In this issue or elsewear?

I've heard so many nasty things about Aaron. I don't want to judge because I don't know him, but he's clearly not as reserved when it comes to judging green day fans and assuming every single one is some crazed teenie bopper, so whatever.

COMETBUS issue #54 includes some of his thoughts on Green Day fans as he's seen us at various Green Day events around the globe.

Ive spotted Aaron at Green Day events. If I were asked to describe my impression of his outward appearance at these events, I suppose I would call HIM lost-looking, middle aged, sullen and angry. But we all know appearances are deceiving and often flat-out wrong.

Thanks for the brilliant review Abbey, sounds like everything I'd expect from his wonderful writing and I really wanna read it now! He seems very quick to judge pretty much everyone on earth so it doesn't surprise me it'd be the same for Green Day fans :lol:. He sometimes expresses annoying and hypocritical views and acts in an unpleasant way but I can forgive him too haha. Still love him.

Hoping to get this too, I'll try and find out what stores in the UK are stocking them and let y'all know if I can.

Thanks very much! I take it no one knows where we can get hold of this yet? I seriously need it :D

Is there absolutely NO WAY someone could write some of it up or scan it ? I'm very intrigued.

This site stocks Cometbus and international shipping is only $3.35 :happy:

Fantastic! Thanks so much for finding this :bunny:. Wonder when they'll get the new one so I can get my hands on it!

This site stocks Cometbus and international shipping is only $3.35 :happy:

Ooh, that's nice!

I also found a Dutch bookstore that might be able to order them (they sell three of Cometbus' books (I think they're books, at least)), so I'm hoping they could order the zine for me, but otherwise it would be awesome too if I could get it from there.

Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for the brilliant review Abbey, sounds like everything I'd expect from his wonderful writing and I really wanna read it now! He seems very quick to judge pretty much everyone on earth so it doesn't surprise me it'd be the same for Green Day fans :lol:. He sometimes expesses annoying and hypocritical views and acts in an unpleasant way but I can forgive him too haha. Still love him.

Thanks very much! I take it no one knows where we can get hold of this yet? I seriously need it :D

Im with ya Hermoine. As I say, I lovehate him. Keep in mind I didnt reveal any of the really FUN, TOUCHING, BEAUTIFUL, AMAZING spoilers!! There's a moment between Aaron and Billie that will forever remain in my brain. I dont think Ive caught my breath yet from reading about this moment they shared. SIGHHHHHHHHHH. *will not reveal shit* *will not reveal shit*

Archived