COMETBUS #54 Green Day In China?!

GDM

I was surprised when the guy wrote he remains unimpressed with Aarons writing, I love his writing style.

• 3 years later...
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Me neither!

You'll read it even if I have to track it down at a record store and thrust it into your corn husk hands.

I know 1234 Go Records in Oakland already has it in stock as well as many independent bookstores across the USA.

Wow the signs were there 4 years ago. Go figure.

You'll read it even if I have to track it down at a record store and thrust it into your corn husk hands.

Subtext!

I'm finding this debate completely fascinating. I'd try and post something, but I'd end up writing a book.

Write it up, bro. I've got time.

Cool!!

Lest hope it gets released in Australia. (doubt it)

Yeah right.

Hey just so people know this Cometbus is still available through some online stores (google cometbus 54) and shipping is expensive depending on where you are but if you buy a few things together it works out cheap. I actually only got around to getting this Cometbus last year (I have nearly all his work) and love it though it's far from my favourite of his zines/novels. It did change my opinion on some of the band members significantly however. It increased my love for Billie though he obviously isn't perfect (who is? Cometbus is always the first to point out his own embarrasing flaws!) but the opposite is the case with Tre unfortunately. Some of the things written about Tre (the octopus incident and some of the things he said about women "There are two kinds of women bitches and my mom" and other things left me thinking he is basically a prick. But yeah, fantastic zine as always.

Get it if you haven't got it guys! Worth the shipping...it's the only up close and personal GD book you'll ever read :)

Get it if you haven't got it guys! Worth the shipping...it's the only up close and personal GD book you'll ever read :)

After debating it for quite some time, I finally gave in and ordered it last week. From what I've seen, it should be a good read.

Looking forward to receiving it :)

Hey just so people know this Cometbus is still available through some online stores (google cometbus 54) and shipping is expensive depending on where you are but if you buy a few things together it works out cheap. I actually only got around to getting this Cometbus last year (I have nearly all his work) and love it though it's far from my favourite of his zines/novels. It did change my opinion on some of the band members significantly however. It increased my love for Billie though he obviously isn't perfect (who is? Cometbus is always the first to point out his own embarrasing flaws!) but the opposite is the case with Tre unfortunately. Some of the things written about Tre (the octopus incident and some of the things he said about women "There are two kinds of women bitches and my mom" and other things left me thinking he is basically a prick. But yeah, fantastic zine as always.

I agree with you on the octopus thing with Tre, thought Aaron was being kind of judgemental about the other stuff though. But yeah it's such an interesting insight into the three of them from his honest and thoughtful point of view. I second the recommendation!

I'm afraid to ask, but what's the octopus incident?

I'm afraid to ask, but what's the octopus incident?

Tre trying to eat a live octopus and when he couldn't manage to eat it (it was in his mouth/throat but he started to choke) two bodyguards hacked it up with knives...it was still alive. Aaron and Billie couldn't look as they were "too revolted and unsettled". To me it's a fairly disgusting case of animal cruelty.

I agree with you on the octopus thing with Tre, thought Aaron was being kind of judgemental about the other stuff though. But yeah it's such an interesting insight into the three of them from his honest and thoughtful point of view. I second the recommendation!

I didn't find Aaron judgemental at all actually. He throws out quotes or tells us things the guys have done and then it's up to us to form our own opinions. Yes, he has his own views but we are entitled to ignore those. Tre saying hateful shit or behaving like a dick can be viewed by Aaron however he chooses and I choose to see it my way. I'm glad he at least wrote about it though because I can't imagine many other biographers would have the nerve.

Tre trying to eat a live octopus and when he couldn't manage to eat it (it was in his mouth/throat but he started to choke) two bodyguards hacked it up with knives...it was still alive. Aaron and Billie couldn't look as they were "too revolted and unsettled". To me it's a fairly disgusting case of animal cruelty.

Oh my god, yeah. People who are cruel to animals are the scum of the earth. I don't know if I should judge his whole character based on one incident, but that's really shitty and inexcusable. :( That's disappointing to hear as a fan.

Oh my god, yeah. People who are cruel to animals are the scum of the earth. I don't know if I should judge his whole character based on one incident, but that's really shitty and inexcusable. :( That's disappointing to hear as a fan.

I know!! I was a pretty huge fan of Tre for some dumb reason. I have a drumbstick of his I got at a show a few years ago and it was a prize possession of mine...now it is just chucked in a corner somewhere. Seriously this book changed my opinion completely. As a vegetarian and animal lover I felt disgusted. Aaron really didn't have many nice things to say in Tre's favour and he had quotes from him that shocked me honestly. Yeah...glad I read it because ignorance isn't bliss...it's just ignorant lol.

I know!! I was a pretty huge fan of Tre for some dumb reason. I have a drumbstick of his I got at a show a few years ago and it was a prize possession of mine...now it is just chucked in a corner somewhere. Seriously this book changed my opinion completely. As a vegetarian and animal lover I felt disgusted. Aaron really didn't have many nice things to say in Tre's favour and he had quotes from him that shocked me honestly. Yeah...glad I read it because ignorance isn't bliss...it's just ignorant lol.

That's sad :( The quote you just posted about women was pretty bad. Well at least Mike and Billie are alright, right? :)

I mean, the quote about women was obviously a crude joke. But yeah, the octopus thing bothered me. I guess in Asia, it's not that uncommon to eat certain animals while they're still alive, including squid / octopi, but it's still fucked up.

That's sad :( The quote you just posted about women was pretty bad. Well at least Mike and Billie are alright, right? :)

Yeah! This book made me love Billie even more! Jason and Bill Schneider too! :)

Yeah! This book made me love Billie even more! Jason and Bill Schneider too! :)

Cool! I might have to check it out :)

Cool! I might have to check it out :)

You definitely should! You won't be sorry...in general Cometbus is a great writer and his zines and novels are always fantastic (as are his bands) but when he writes about Green Day it's always fun :D

You definitely should! You won't be sorry...in general Cometbus is a great writer and his zines and novels are always fantastic (as are his bands) but when he writes about Green Day it's always fun :D

I hadn't heard of him or this book until today! I also didn't know what a zine was :D

I hadn't heard of him or this book until today! I also didn't know what a zine was :D

Zines are great! I got into them a few years ago and some of them have really changed my views on life in a positive way. I heard of Cometbus through Pinhead Gunpowder (his band with Billie Joe) and he writes 95% of their lyrics and they quickly became my favourite band (even over Green Day) and then I NEEDED his zines and novels haha. Basically in my opinion he is a punk genius. Reading his stuff always cheers me up even if he is writing about something miserable lol.

The octopus thing was awful. Inexcusable. There's no reason why anybody would do this except being a cunt.

This was a fantastic read, and gives youa very intimate look at life on tour with Green Day. Aaron also talks a fair bit about his first tour with Green Day in 1990, and you read some cool side stories about the band too. It's not all China :lol:

This was a fantastic read, and gives youa very intimate look at life on tour with Green Day. Aaron also talks a fair bit about his first tour with Green Day in 1990, and you read some cool side stories about the band too. It's not all China :lol:

Actually they didn't even go to China right?

Actually they didn't even go to China right?

they went to Hong Kong. their mainland china shows were cancelled

they went to Hong Kong. their mainland china shows were cancelled

don't tell me anything else cuz i'm waiting to get it in a week :) Spoiler heh

Archived