Peacemaker

J'net

I'm giving us another 21st Century Breakdown song this week so we can catch up with the other albums. This week's Song of the Week is Peacemaker. Please use this thread to discuss your thoughts and feelings about the song.

Peacemaker was released on the 21st Century Breakdown album on May 15, 2009. As much love as the song has received from Green Day fans, it has rarely been heard live. This one is on my own personal bucket list smile.gif.

So here's what I think is a difficult question - what's your favorite lyric from this song? I find there are so many incredible ones to choose from, it's really hard to choose. However, this one always blows me away: "The orgasm - a spasm of love and hate."

Here's a live version with audio only from the Fox Theater performance:

Here's a video of the band talking about the song:

Peacemaker Lyrics

Well, I've got a fever

A non-believer

I'm in a state of grace

For I am the Caesar

I'm gonna seize the day

Well, call of the banshee hey hey

Hey hey hey hey hey

As God as my witness

The infidels are gonna pay

Well, call the assassin

The orgasm

A spasm of love and hate

For what will divide us?

The righteous and the meek

Well, call of the wild hey hey

Hey hey hey hey hey

Death to the girl at the end of the serenade

Vendetta, sweet vendetta

This Beretta of the night

This fire and the desire

Shots ringing out on a holy parasite

I am a killjoy from Detroit

I drink from a well of rage

I feed off the weakness with all my love

Call up the captain hey hey

Hey hey hey hey hey

Death to the lover that you were dreaming of

This is a stand off

A Molotov cocktail

On the house

You thought I was a write off

You better think again

Call the peacemaker hey hey

Hey hey hey hey hey

I'm gonna send you back to the place where it all began

Vendetta, sweet vendetta

This Beretta of the night

This fire and the desire

Shots ringing out on a holy parasite

Well now the caretaker's the undertaker

Now I'm gonna go out and get the peacemaker

This is the neo St. Valentines Massacre

Well call up the Gaza hey hey

hey hey hey hey hey

Death to the ones at the end of the serenade

Well, death to the ones at the end of the serenade

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can nominate songs for discussion as Song of the Week in the Song Discussions thread, which contains links to each previous Song of the Week from 9/14/2009 forward in its original post.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love this song! Although its very hard to sing on GD Rockband (for me at least)

Favorite Lyric: And death to the ones at the end of the serenade

love love love this song. Just because it shows that Green Day isn't afraid to do something different with their music.

Such a wonderful and weird song. I remember the first comment I saw from people when we heard it was "It reminds me of Shakira" :lol:

This is one of those songs that I love to sing along, I love the flow of the lyrics. I know this is a connection not many people will get, but it reminds me of Private Eye by Alkaline Trio. They sound nothing alike, but the it's the type of song that feels like the flow of the lyrics have a real powerful influence over the song.

This is a really good song. I love the vibe of it, just the way it sounds. Also, the lyrics are fantastic.They bring up great mental imagery, and some clever words are used in it.

This is a really good song. I love the vibe of it, just the way it sounds. Also, the lyrics are fantastic.They bring up great mental imagery, and some clever words are used in it.

For sure. The second part of each verse is super catchy because of the word-play.

I think I've got mixed feelings about this song. When I first listened to the album, this was the first song that really popped, I fell in love with the rhythm, the speed of the guitar that gives this feeling of being in a rush; but on the other hand, even until today and after seeing and/or reading about the song, I still have the hardest of times figuring it out, like I still can't set my mind on what it's about, so for me it's one of those Green Day songs that I've classified under 'confusing' :lol:

Still, my favorite line is 'I drink from a well of rage'.

Favorite lyric/part:

Call the peacemaker hey hey

Hey hey hey hey hey

I'm gonna send you back to the place where it all began

Like tre cool said the gun is like a peacemaker or something like that is kind of interesting to think about.

When i first heard this song it reminded me of a spanish song kind of. Its very fast and upbeat.

and i agree with what what SSt.Jimmyliedsaid about "They bring up great mental imagery". This song just feeds your imagination i personally think that with most of Green Day's songs.

This is one of my favourite songs off the album. It always has been, ever since Mike said in that Q (I think it was Q) interview forever ago that they had a 'carnival/gypsy-sounding song' on the album. I found it and VOILA!

Liz and I also tried to get Billie to play it in Paris. The bit when Billie walks out strumming his guitar really quickly before he starts When It's Time/LNOE sounds really similar to Peacemaker and I had a bit of hope that we would get to hear it. But :(

Anyway this song kicks ass and I don't appreciate people who do not enjoy it.

This is one of my favorites off 21st Century Breakdown.

It's just so unique and I love that they take chances like these.

When i first heard this song it reminded me of a spanish song kind of. Its very fast and upbeat.

I thought the same. :lol:

'Peacemaker' has been one of my favorites from the album ever since I first heard it. It's just so upbeat and just catches your attention. I absolutely love the story-feel it has and I always envision what this music video would look like if it had one. :lol: Anyways, I thought this song is about a man who wants to get revenge on a girl he had a relationship with and he goes out and kills her during a serenade. There's still some parts I don't fully understand yet~ does he want revenge because she isn't faithful to God anymore? Because of this line: "As God as my witness/The infidels are gonna pay" I'm not sure but so far that's what I'm thinking lol.

Favorite lyric: "For I am the Caesar, I'm gonna seize the day"

I also love all the "hey hey hey hey hey"s :D

Edit: I wrote this post before I watched the video about GD talking about the song, and how interesting about calling a gun a peacemaker! I guess the man wants to rid the world of infidels and create 'peace'?

Sorry haha I love analyzing songs XD

I would love to hear this song live. The style of the lyrics is pretty catchy; It's different. It makes me want to get up and dance.

This is one of my Favourite songs on the 21st Century Breakdown album. I really wished they released this one as a single and made a video for it since i think it could have been very good. Green Day really do need to play this one on their next tour, It would be awesome live and i was lucky to hear it live at the fox theatre show in Oakland but that was over a year and a half ago so I am due to hear it live again.

same

I love this song. It's really interesting and caught my attention the first time I listened to it. It sounded to me like it could possibly belong on Warning, or from that time period. Everytime it comes on I immediately sing along to it. It's perfect for that.

This is my favorite song from 21st century Breakdown!! I listened to it over and over when I first got the album. Idk why, but I really like the part when he sings - hey hey hey hey hey. Gets my blood pumping... or some shit like that.

Amazing song! Love the lyrics and its one of my favourite songs from 21CB.

I love "Well death to the ones at the end of the serenade" especially the ending :wub:

I have a love/hate relationship with this song. I used to hate it, but now I'm completely in love with it :happy: And it's impossible to get those "hey hey hey hey hey" off our heads, I think.

Definitely one of my favourite off of 21st CB. I loved it immediately and always regretted it was barely played live. I especially like this part:

Well now the caretaker's the undertaker

Now I'm gonna go out and get the peacemaker

This is the neo St. Valentines Massacre

Well call up the Gaza hey hey

hey hey hey hey hey

Death to the ones at the end of the serenade

Oh and it's quite often on the radio here. And my mom absolutely LOVES it :happy:

Peacemaker is an amazing song! I hate when people hear it and they're just like 'Oh this is a catchy song' or 'This sounds weird, I don't really like it'... you have to think about the meaning of the song, because the lyics are incredible :) It makes me sad that it's never played on the radio here...It should be, to show how diverse music GD can make =) My favourite part is the beginning (besides from 'The orgasm - a spasm of love and hate.') -

Well, I've got a fever

A non-believer

I'm in a state of grace

For I am the Caesar

I'm gonna seize the day

I love this song, simply for the reason that no one would expect it.

And that kind of "middle eastern" sound is awesome.

It isn't played live because it doesn't really fit with their set.

"Well, call the assassin

The orgasm

A spasm of love and hate" :banana:

YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY!!!!

Thank you J'net for choosing this :dance:

This was my favourite song when I first listened to 21cb as it was the one that stuck in my head most!

I love all the lyrics but I do like "I drink from a well of rage"

SO happy this is finally song of the week :)

PEACEMAKER! :woot::wub:

One of my favorite songs off 21st Century Breakdown! The music is so great, while the lyrics are kind of serious. Ah, I just love the whole thing.

I really wish they would play it live!

This was one of my favourite songs when I first heard the album. I love when they do something completely different, it kinda reminds me of misery in that respect.

Archived