Where would Green Day be if Cigarettes and Valentines wasn't stolen?

nikki0995

If cigarettes and valentines wasnt stolen from the studio how do you think green days career would have been different if they made the cd?

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hard to say, because we don't know how good the music on there is. It'd be really hard to compete with the success of American Idiot, but no one could say that wouldn't have been as successful.

Well we don't really even know if Cigarettes and Valentines was actually stolen or if the band didn't think it was truly maximum Green Day so its hard to say.

Well we don't really even know if Cigarettes and Valentines was actually stolen or if the band didn't think it was truly maximum Green Day so its hard to say.

Hmm thats a good point they could just be saying it was stolen.

I'm a believer that it existed, but they didn't put it out for one reason or another.

But if What About Today, Thins I Heard Today, Minnesota Girl, and Too Much Too Soon (the band said in an interview that Too Much was on it) were gonna be on it, I'm sure I would've loved it. Maybe more than AI.

[Edit:] Oh, and C&V itself‼ I love that song‼ And I've heard people say Olivia was supposed to be on it, which I love even more than the rest.

I'm a believer that it existed, but they didn't put it out for one reason or another.

But if What About Today, Thins I Heard Today, Minnesota Girl, and Too Much Too Soon (the band said in an interview that Too Much was on it) were gonna be on it, I'm sure I would've loved it. Maybe more than AI.

[Edit:] Oh, and C&V itself‼ I love that song‼ And I've heard people say Olivia was supposed to be on it, which I love even more than the rest.

You can't just name b-sides and/or unreleased songs and say they were going to be on C&V

I'd probably love the album, but I don't think it would have brought the huuge success and new fans that American Idiot did. I'm not saying it wouldn't have been big, but American Idiot was arguably the biggest thing in Green Day's career, one of their most iconic and musically as well as lyrically amazing albums ever. If C/V was released instead of AI, Green Day would not be the band it is today... I doubt 21stCB would be a logical follow-up to C/V, from what we've heard of it. Also, I think a few of us here wouldn't even have discovered Green Day without American Idiot. So I for one am pretty glad CV was scrapped...

You can't just name b-sides and/or unreleased songs and say they were going to be on C&V

What About Today, Things I Heard, and Minnesota Girl were released as demos around the time they were working on C&V, which leads me to believe they might have been on it.

It was said in an interview that Too Much Too Soon was going to be on it. I'm not too sure, but once again, I emphasize the word might.

C&V is obvious.

I don't really have any reasoning for Olivia, but I think it sounds sort of like it would fit well with the others, and unlike it was written for 21CBD and taken off.

We will never know.

I really don't think about C&V, cause it didn't happen. But you just can't compare any album with american idiot, besides its music being really good, it's timing was perfect. In my opinion C&V is still there, who would steal the tapes and not sell them or leak them? ... Doesn't make sense

I love what AI did for the band, I wouldn't change a thing they have done up until now.

Green Day would be dead if they realeased that Album

I use my imagination a bit, and I think that C&V, Hearts Collide and Roshambo was part of it. All these songs talks about "love" in a very "noob" way, and also, they have the word "valentine" inside.

For me, Green Day didn't release this cause the lyrics are a bit lame, compared to the smarter lyrics of Warning. And obviously, the guys who makes reviews and that kind of people will say "lack of money makes green day dumb" or "green day back to their roots cause in other styles they fail".

So, what would happen with Green Day if C&V was released: DEAD

Whether it was stolen or not, I think the guys themselves didn't think it was "maximum Green Day" so they went on to other things and came out with AI. ;) To answer the thread question, I think it really depends on what exactly was on C&V to be able to tell, like others said.

we can't really say for sure. C&V would have been good (probably like insomniac), but not great. would they still have made American idiot if they released C&V?

Probably exactly where they are today... Except 21stCB would be their 9th studio album. And maybe people would have been a little more ready for the diffrent sort of sound that was on AI.

Based on what we've now heard of it (and what could have possibly spawned from it) I would say they wouldn't have gotten anywhere with it. Their already devoted fans would of course have dug it, but no way would they have been the superpower they did become. AI was fresh, and inspired. It was full of renewed energy. From what the band has said and what we have now heard, C&V was not.

Also on a more cynical note, who knows if they would have stayed together. We all know they were having personal issues with each other around this time and considered breaking up, but at some point they had an intervention and decided they weren't done with each other and had a lot more in them musically. AI was no doubt a result of their new communicative, tight bond. After all, Billie had said it had gotten to the point where he was afraid to share anything with the other two. If C&V had been released then that would have probably meant they never had their reawakening and their relationship would have remained strained. (I have no doubt that the band simply decided to toss C&V after they decided it was crap and they wanted to create something great together.)

I think it would have been just another Amazing album by them!

Right :). Everything Green Day do, is amazing.

Not wanting to be a conspiracy theorist or anything, but I highly doubt it was stolen, and if they had released it instead of hiding it they wouldn't be in such a good place right now. I guess they were heading in a different direction.

we don't even know how good c/v album is. we don't know if it's still in their old style or maybe not? probably if they would have released it, we wouldn't have AI too. God, it's the hard question. Green Day probably wouldn't be as big as they are today if they would have released c/v. on the other hand, they'd probably make opther great songs like their old stuff.

*whoa, does it make sense? I bet i've just repeated all the comments above XDD*

Considering I'm pretty sure it wasn't stolen, probably at the same place because they would've ditched it like they did, made American Idiot and be where they are now.

What About Today, Things I Heard, and Minnesota Girl were released as demos around the time they were working on C&V, which leads me to believe they might have been on it.

It was said in an interview that Too Much Too Soon was going to be on it. I'm not too sure, but once again, I emphasize the word might.

C&V is obvious.

I don't really have any reasoning for Olivia, but I think it sounds sort of like it would fit well with the others, and unlike it was written for 21CBD and taken off.

Excuse me, "released as demos"?

More like, phone message-quality whatever they were of which the songs could be from any time at all, posted coincidentally around the time they were working on C&V somewhere on the internet. I am pretty sure Minnesota Girl is a way old song, although I don't remember where I read that. And as far as I know is "What About Today" more like a Network demo than Green Day. Just because it was posted around that time doesn't mean it was a C&V song. Also if you use the word 'might'. For example, Dreamcatcher was played ("released") in a soundtrack in the 21stCB era, so it *might* have been for 21stCB, but there is no proof for that whatsoever. Same goes for all the things you said, Things I Heard got out around the time C&V was being worked on, so it *might* have been on that album, but there's nothing that suggests it actually is except for the timing.

Olivia was written for 21stCB, I think it was mentioned in articles about that album (but I'm not entirely sure of that).

Hard to say, because we don't know how good the music on there is. It'd be really hard to compete with the success of American Idiot, but no one could say that wouldn't have been as successful.

These two points are exactly what I would've answered.

well.....i don't think they would be so popular like they were after american idiot but theres no way to tell

Maybe I would have never heard of them D:

I actually believe that it was missing when they got to the studio, why would they lie about that? :unsure: But I think they were kinda happy because they didn't think it was great and they decided to take another direction.

If it wasn't stolen, maybe they would have realised that is wasn't great and have done the same thing as they actually did. But If they had actually released C&V I don't think they would be as famous as now, nowhere near.

Not wanting to be a conspiracy theorist or anything, but I highly doubt it was stolen, and if they had released it instead of hiding it they wouldn't be in such a good place right now. I guess they were heading in a different direction.

I agree with you. In interviews the band has said that once they wrote the song American Idiot they really liked the way it sounded and decided to go in that direction. This leads me to believe that Cigs and Valentines was just shelved.

Archived