When It's Time

J'net

Well, I think it's finally time! In honor of Rob Cavallo's nomination for the Producer of the Year Grammy (partly based on his work on this song), this week's Song of the Week is When It's Time. Please use this thread to discuss your thoughts and feelings about the song.

Billie Joe wrote this song for Adrienne before they were married. It was unreleased for many years until it was first heard by attendees at the Heart Like a Hand Grenade premiere in 2009. Other than one or two live performances during the 21st Century Breakdown, tour fans didn't hear it again until it was included in the American Idiot theatrical production. Most were delighted when it was then released on the AI Original Broadway Cast recording accompanied by a second version recorded by Green Day.

This sweet song has special meaning for me and brings me to tears almost every time I hear it.

I think this is a beautiful video from Denmark's Skive festival earlier this year:

When It's Time Lyrics

The words get trapped in my mind

I'm sorry I don't take the time to feel the way I do

'Cause from the first day you came into my life

My time ticks around you

But then I need your voice

As a key to unlock all the love that's trapped in of me

So tell me when it's time to say I love you

All I want is you to understand

That when I take your hand its 'cause I want to

We are all born in a world of doubt

But there's no doubt

I figured out I love you

And I feel lonely for

All the losers that will never take the time to say

What is really on their minds instead they just hide away

And yet they'll never have

Someone like you to guide them and help along the way

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can nominate songs for discussion as Song of the Week in the Song Discussions thread, which contains links to each previous Song of the Week from 9/14/2009 forward in its original post.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This song. will be. my wedding song.

it's SO cute, and I want to hear it live, I do!

I like the AI cast version too, but I prefer GD's because you can hear all the love Billie Joe has for Adie in his voice :wub:

this has got to be in my top 5 of Green Day songs and in my top 5 favorite songs ever too :D

Guest Mia Joe

So beautiful, I had only heard the musical version until he performed it live at Ullevaal stadium in June. What a moment :)

i love this song! its so sweet and you can really hear that billie joe means it as opposed to last night on earth....but thats another story

i want this song to play at my wedding, but i think i have some time

It makes me think of all the love songs that are out there - so many loud and lavish statements, and here's this quiet little song, so honest, so vulnerable, so full of humility and gratitude. That it comes out of such a gritty, bleak place - the locked-up, lonely place, in the company of those losers - makes 'I love you' shine so strong, this hard-won prize, the time and the right to say 'I love you'. It gets said four times, but it feels like it's said over and over again, that every line of this song is 'I love you', because it leaps out and blazes and becomes the all of everything. When it comes to ' I figured out, I - LOVE - YOU' - times stands still, and Billie Joe just brings it. He stops time to be in the living moment of love, to realize it and inhabit it, and it's so fucking beautiful.

I love it live - production stuff is superfluous to this song, it's radiant in itself, a raw and beautiful punk song that just happens to take a ballad form. Random thing is my memory of singing it at the top of my voice in the pit at Marlay Park - it was a wonderful song to be singing right then, under the nite sky - and this guy ever so politely asking me what album it was from, and me carefully explaining about the musical and the album. That I could have a conversation like that kind of demonstrates how wild and crazy a pit it was - not, lol!!

To all of which I must add - when it's time to say 'I love you' is whenever you feel it. Don't wait for a special day, don't look for a formal moment - as often as you feel it, tell them, right then and there - here and now. :)

This song is so...great! I love it...

It's the most sincere and beautiful love song ever :wub:

Congrats to Rob Cavallo. :)

The first few times I listened to this one I didn't really like it. I thought it sounded lame, like it lacked something. And then it eventually grew on me and, even though I wouldn't say it's one of my favorite Green Day songs, I now listen to it more or less regularly.

I love the simpleness of the the instrumentation and production, no flashy, unnecessary stuff. But the message is not just simple, is complex and deep and heartfelt. I love that contrast. Plus, it's the first Green Day song I can fully play on the guitar. :ninja:

To be honest, while I can see why others would like this song, I'm not exactly a huge fan of it. It's not that I hate slow songs, because I really don't, but even though the lyrics are cute, the music style is kind of too country-ish for me. :P Plus, while the live version isn't too bad, the studio one sounds a bit overproduced and echo-y to me.

Awesome! I really love this song and i really didn't expect this to come out as a single out of the blue like this! Great choice!

Same here, every time i found tears in my eyes when I hear this song.

to be honest, i never like AI cast version of this song.

Cos only Billie can sing the sensation from his heart. It is all about him :)

I love it.

Every time I feel I need energy I listen to Green Day,

"when it's time" give me peace at heart :)

Thanks Billie !

I just listened to this song for the first time in awhile.

I forgot how much I loved it. :wub:

It's such a beautiful song.

I loved this song when I first heard the live version. I couldn't wait for their to be a studio recording of it. Though I prefer the acoustic sound of it, it's still great. Beautiful lyrics, beautiful sound, beautiful song :)

This song being released so much later than it should have makes me wonder what other songs Billie Joe is keeping locked away lol. This is definately my favorite slow/love Green Day song. It's so simple but the lyrics are amazing and so are Billie's vocals. Just all around an amazing song.

its my favourite song! I am singing it to my fiancee when I get married this summer its so gorgeous

<3

When It's Time is a beautiful and very emotional track. It's definitely my favourite accoustic song that Billie has in his repertoire.

I remember him playing it in New York City last July and I was blown away by a recording of it.

I've loved it from the first time I heard it on AI Broadway recording. It gave me goosebumps really! This song is so full of emotion, and the fact that Billie wrote this for Adrienne many many years ago, just makes it even better. This song is also "our song" with my girlfriend, she loves it too. :happy: Definitely one of my favorite Green Day songs!

When It's Time hadn't been Song of the Week before? I didn't know that!

Anyway, I love this song so much :wub: I immediately bought the AI cast record to have this song.

So sweet he wrote this song for Adrienne, and never released it until now. Too bad he didn't play it yet at the shows I went to, but I can imagine how beautiful it is live, seeing all the videos.

I really can't wait to see HLAHG (hopefully next year indeed!) to hear Billie sing When It's Time. :wub:

Archived