AilzMacD

The Walking Dead (TV series)

Sarcasm

I've read the comics, so it's not like I don't know roughly how stuff will shake out, but I gotta say it. I hate flash-forwards. How can there be any tension if I know these characters are alive like 3 years later? I remember feeling the same way in the show LOST. The episode would start and in the beginning a character presumed dead would be on the list of starring actors. Sigh. 

But hey, Rick flipped the script on Negan, that was cool. The season 1 mirroring was swell as well. 

21guns&novacaine

Addy Miller came back to reprise her role as 'summer' the teddy bear walker from season 1, episode one for season 8 episode 1. So cool!

22728655_1428191707250168_82286414928958

Lindsay

What a shit season lol. Last night was okay though, totally expected that ending based on what happens in the comics

Trotsky
5 hours ago, Lindsay said:

What a shit season lol. Last night was okay though, totally expected that ending based on what happens in the comics

But Carl doesn't die in the comics, and everything except the bombing of Alexandria was different, so what do you mean?

I think this season has been average, but profoundly disappointing in the context of how good it could have been. I hate how they can't build suspense off anything but people making stupid decisions. 

Simon letting Maggie go, how fucking stupid is that?

Lindsay
1 hour ago, Trotsky said:

Reveal hidden contents

I think this season has been average, but profoundly disappointing in the context of how good it could have been. I hate how they can't build suspense off anything but people making stupid decisions. 

Reveal hidden contents

because the comics jump 10 Years after the whole fight with Negan is over. You can’t exactly turn a child actor into an adult, even with makeup haha. It just made the most sense for them.

Trotsky

I wonder if they actually expect the viewers to feel like 

Eugene has finally redeemed himself, because he definitely has fucking not. If I were in Rick's position, if I won the war and Eugene came crawling back, I would execute him immediately 

Dai.
On 23/10/2017 at 5:02 AM, Sarcasm said:

I've read the comics, so it's not like I don't know roughly how stuff will shake out, but I gotta say it.

HOW ABOUT NOW :o

On 11/12/2017 at 5:29 PM, Trotsky said:

I wonder if they actually expect the viewers to feel like 

Hide contents

Eugene has finally redeemed himself, because he definitely has fucking not. If I were in Rick's position, if I won the war and Eugene came crawling back, I would execute him immediately 

Eugene is beyond redemption, I would say.

Sarcasm
4 hours ago, Dai. said:

HOW ABOUT NOW :o

Eugene is beyond redemption, I would say.

Now I'm just confused. Carl was in the flashforward, so I guess it was a dream? I'm gonna be filled with fury like a woman scorn if Carl is somehow just immune like Ellen Page in The Last of Us

I really liked the episode, though. The comics and show are so different already. It's nice the show throws some curveballs.

• Like 1

Trotsky
10 hours ago, Sarcasm said:

Hide contents

I agree that would be bullshit in TWD, but in The Last of Us, that's the whole basis for the story, so it isn't bullshit in TLOU.

JardyOfSuburbia

Just a reminder:

• Haha 1

Trotsky
14 hours ago, JardyOfSuburbia said:

Just a reminder:

If there is a real life apocalypse and I'm the leader of a faction trying to break a prisoner, I will try this song. 

• Like 1

JardyOfSuburbia
4 hours ago, Trotsky said:

If there is a real life apocalypse and I'm the leader of a faction trying to break a prisoner, I will try this song. 

I actually find the song catchy. Is that bad?

Dai.
On 16/12/2017 at 8:16 PM, Sarcasm said:

Reveal hidden contents

Now I'm just confused. Carl was in the flashforward, so I guess it was a dream? I'm gonna be filled with fury like a woman scorn if Carl is somehow just immune like Ellen Page in The Last of Us

I really liked the episode, though. The comics and show are so different already. It's nice the show throws some curveballs.

Maybe they're all dead and in some sort of limbo there? I don't know... If Carl doesn't die now it's gonna suck whatever they do.

Dai.

So the season finale was coming up nicely and then they went and did this:

So maybe it's time they wrap this show up.

• Like 1

Trotsky

Overall, I didn't care for the season finale. One issue I have is that the writers of TWD seem to mistake character development for going around in circles, and two characters with opposing views switching opinions. Eugene's change seems rather forced and inorganic. I don't think he had true loyalty to the Saviors, or to Rick's group, he's always been about clinging to the strongest people around him to survive. I also dislike that this was one of two deus ex machina used in this episode. The other being Oceanside's arrival, which is even worse because unlike Eugene rigging the bullets to explode, Oceanside's deus ex machina wasn't even all that consequential. Lots of time has been dedicated to Oceanside, and all it amounts to in the end is coming back for 5 seconds to throw some molotov cocktails, as if there wasn't someone on Team Rick available to do such a thing. All this time, all the drama of Aaron and Enid returning, Aaron basically trying to emotionally blackmail them into helping by being all "I'm going to stand in front of you and die of exposure/starvation/a zombie bite until you change your mind." And all that for a 5 second cameo to kill a small group of Saviors that the Hilltop defenders could have taken on their own.

My biggest complaint however has to do with the tactical aspect of the war. I don't expect total realism from a show about a zombie apocalypse, but is common sense too much to ask for? Why the fuck would Rick's group stand out on an open field with no cover? Now you could argue that they were ambushed and didn't want to do battle there, but they didn't even retreat to the treeline. Meanwhile, the Saviors line up like they're in the 1700's and firing muskets. After the invention of guns which could fire more than once a minute, fighting a war on an open field ceased to be a thing, for a good reason. The most important part of a gunfight is cover, and both sides neglected cover entirely. What's even dumber is that we already know that the characters on TWD are aware of the idea of cover. First episode of this season, Rick's group puts armor on all their vehicles so they don't all get shot up within seconds. Even more outrageous is that Ezekial lost his entire army in 3 seconds, because they were standing in an open field and a machine gun cut them down instantly. That's what happens to people who stand out in the open during a gunfight. Ezekial was there, he saw it all and barely survived, yet he had no problem with going out into an open field AGAIN. 

On top of all this, I'm going to be pissed off if Daryl's exiling of Dwight means this is the last time we see him on the show; Dwight is one of the few truly compelling characters left and one of the very few who actually develops in a plausible way. I'm also still annoyed that they killed Carl as a pretense for the whole notion of Rick keeping Negan alive and letting the Saviors live, when Carl could have convinced Rick of that alive just as well as fucking dead. Killing Carl was not required to tell this story. The finale plays out similarly to the source material except guess what, Carl is still alive. 

As for Maggie, Jesus, and Daryl plotting, I feel that this was done in an intentionally vague way to make a cliffhanger of sorts. It would be batshit insane if Maggie actually wants to go to war or break an alliance with Rick over Negan. She wants to see him dead, of course, but instead of outright saying "let's kill him", they had to speak in such an over the top manner. Maggie trying to kill Negan will cause tension, but it's not as if Rick is going to go to war with her over Negan's life. They make it sound like it's a major conflicting brewing when in reality it's not. Either she'll successfully kill Negan, Rick will be a little bit pissed off but move on, or she'll fail to kill Negan, and Rick will be a little bit pissed off but move on. They had to make it sound so sinister, when all it is is a dispute over whether Negan should live or die. It's drama but it's not a catalyst for total anarchy. 

• Like 2

inthehallwaynow

What about that dang helicopter?

RisingRedWolf
On 4/18/2018 at 4:31 AM, Trotsky said:

I'm also still annoyed that they killed Carl as a pretense for the whole notion of Rick keeping Negan alive and letting the Saviors live, when Carl could have convinced Rick of that alive just as well as fucking dead. Killing Carl was not required to tell this story. The finale plays out similarly to the source material except guess what, Carl is still alive.

I agree completely, but I feel like Chandler's firing was a lot more to do with behind the screen politics rather than story related. They almost immediately said in a follow up interview that it was their job to make sure that decision was done justice...

So what do us fans get?

Spoiler

Confirmation of both Maggie and Rick being taken off the show.

To be honest, I don't consider anything in season 8 canon anymore... the comics told the story better and AMC's lack of caring for the show has lead to it being a parody of itself. It's sad, it was my favorite show for a long time, but the writers just don't care about the story anymore, its just all about money.

RisingRedWolf

Gotta say, season 9 has been pretty good so far, definitely much better than season 8 and while there's a chunk of fan service missing due to the fact that those characters are dead/missing in the TV show now, the new show runner has done a great job of working with what's left  to make it as good as it can be.

You guys should check it out if you haven't already. Episode 5 was the most emotional one for me in the entire series.

Sarcasm

I still don't understand why they killed Carl

inthehallwaynow
1 hour ago, Sarcasm said:

Coral?

Sarcasm
On 2/22/2019 at 3:55 PM, inthehallwaynow said:

Coral?

I won't spoil, but lets just say thats not what went down in comicbookland 

• Like 1

Trotsky
On 2/22/2019 at 2:46 PM, Sarcasm said:

Because Scott Gimple is a shitty showrunner who has no fucking clue what he's doing.