New or old school GD?

alyrebe04

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd put Green Day into 4 'eras' - the formation years (ie. until after Dookie), the 'Old-School' years (ie. until American Idiot), the 'Rock-Opera' years (ie. American Idiot and 21st Century Breakdown), and 'New-School' years (the Trilogy and likely succeeding works).

Of these four eras, I prefer the third.

Guest Just Another Joe

Old Green Day! So many things about them back then were great. Their ethics, their style, the places they placed, hell even their look was good. Insomniac and Dooke are my favorites currently.

I pretty much like everything Green Day did except 21CB and the trilogy. American Idiot was a good album, though it had a few weak points, but it also had some highlights of Green Day's career in my opinion! And I agree with Just Another Joe above, Dookie and Insomniac are my favorite GD albums!

There's nothing more annoying to hear the classic "I miss old Green Day" comment.

Every single Green Day album has a had a pretty significant change in vibe, lyrics, and overall music (instrumentation is the key here).

Therefore, I really don't have an answer to this question. Gotta love Green Day for being easily the most progressive pop-punk band out there.

I honestly don't like the way you worded this question. I think it should be "New Style of Green Day Music or Old Style of Green Day Music?". Green Day themselves hasn't changed, just their style of music has. I'm not into the whole "New Band/ Old Band" scene at all, actually. I like what I like; I don't care if it's old or new. Granted, I do tend to like their newer stuff more (American Idiot, 21st Century Breakdown, and Warning being my favorite GD albums), but I don't judge by sound style or the age of the band and their music. As long as they are happy with their music and are doing it purely because they want to, I could care less about "new or old Green Day".

I like both but if I have to pick a side that's undoubtfully old school.

I honestly don't like the way you worded this question. I think it should be "New Style of Green Day Music or Old Style of Green Day Music?". Green Day themselves hasn't changed, just their style of music has.

They have also changed. They were crazier in the 90s, while they are way more mature and calm now. They're still fun and amazing but they sure are somewhat less weird.

I think it depends, sometimes I wanna listen to old school punk rock and sometimes to new school

you can't really just say "new Green Day"and "old Green Day" because every album is different. if you with old Green Day for example mean 1039 to Warning, they're ALL so different, same with American Idiot to Tré... I honestly think all their albums are great, though i don't like the trilogy as much as their other albums, even though i love some of the songs on those too.

my favorite albums changes between all albums from 1039 to 21stCB.. so yeah, i just like Green Day x)

you can't really just say "new Green Day"and "old Green Day" because every album is different. if you with old Green Day for example mean 1039 to Warning, they're ALL so different, same with American Idiot to Tré... I honestly think all their albums are great, though i don't like the trilogy as much as their other albums, even though i love some of the songs on those too.

my favorite albums changes between all albums from 1039 to 21stCB.. so yeah, i just like Green Day x)

Yeah, that's true...

I just like Green Day too :happy:

Can't we just choose both? :D
I loved them before & I still love them just as much.

I enjoy all eras of green day. Not because i'm 'obsessed' not because 'I only like their music because the band mates are hot' but because their music is fucking great!! Fuck me right?

Always new.

But to be clear, I don't think there should be a distinction between old and new, they're just Green Day. Always have been, and always will.

I like Green Day.

OMG i love the picture in your signature, is a video or something???? :woot:

All. I'm a Green Day fan. Not an "old school Green Day fan" or "new school Green Day fan".

I love Green Day's music. Period. There style has changed throughout they years, but they always make amazing music that fits my taste. One of the many cool things about Green Day is that they are always trying new things and pushing themselves, and I love that.

I've seen this question far too many times on various places across the internet. It's almost depressing to see it alive and well on GDC.

Archived