New or old school GD?

alyrebe04

I don't think of it as "old" and "new", each album has a completely different sound and you can see that develop and the guys mature as each album goes on, and I like each era for its own reasons.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why's this in General chat ?

:wacko:

Jejeje my mistake, sorry... I was falling asleep when I create the topic :D

Like some said I don't see it that way. I see their development through their whole carreer, by every album and I just can't divide it into two like that. I can understand why some do, but I still don't. I have favourite songs from all eras so I don't know. Dookie's my favourite album though which I guess would count as old school. But I mean, it's them and their career as a whole that I care for, not bygone times or a specific era.

I am in love with ALL of Green Days music. I can find a song to help me out with whatever mood I happen to be in. :)

This :lol::happy:

I used to say that I liked 'old' Green Day music better, but that was when American Idiot was overplayed. Now, though, I like both the new and old equally. It really depends on what I'm in the mood to listen to or what I'm doing. Either way, I think the quality of their music has been great both years ago and today. Why? Because they always put 100% into whatever they produce.

Guest Charlotte.

It's all great, but I'd probably say that I listen to the newer stuff more often. It varies tbh - sometimes I prefer old, sometimes I prefer new.

Like the old, like the new. Like watching/listening to the growth in their music over the years.

Honestly, I like all of their music. I really can't decide whether I like their older stuff more.

Yes, their music has changed, but they have always stayed true to who they are.

I feel like every song Billie Joe has written has come straight from the heart.

So, I'd have to say I like their old and new stuff equally.

I like them both for different reasons. The Dookie etc era was great because the lyrics are so good and the sound sums up rebellion and growing up. I like the newer stuff because of the amthemic sound and the storylines of the albums.

They're both great :)

kinda hard to say cuz all their music is so different. i love it all, just depends what mood im in and what i feel like listening to.

I just think it's an extremely over-produced attempt at recreating AI. The storyline in 21CB is extremely vague, almost nonexistent, and I just don't think the writing is nearly as strong.

I totally agree. I could tell right off that they were only trying very hard to recreate the success if AI using the exact same method. And I also agree that I found it very hard to find the story in there. They tried too hard on 21CB, that's just my opinion. However, that being said, I still love it. I mean, it's Green Day. I was going to love it whether they played it too safe or not.

I much prefer 1039SOSH, Kerplunk!, and then Nimrod and Warning to everything else. So I guess I prefer older Green Day, but I adore everything they come out with.

Why is this still open and why is it still in General?

Yes, I'm being a backseat mod but come on.

We've had threads like this before, and really it's not needed anyways.

And this has been here for 12+ hours and it hasn't been touched? Shame.

/prepared for castration

i'm not gonna choose. Green Day is Green Day to me. my heroes. why should i choose what i like more when i love them?

im pretty indifferent to which music i prefer as i love them on a whole and it depends what mood im in at the time =/

but if i really had to choose id say the middle of that, round the warning era =/=/:huh:

I might be a minority (haha...) but I prefer the new Green Day. The songs seem to have a deeper meaning, each expressing what the band wants in this world, very intriguing to listen to. And the songs were good when taken at face value! Though the old GD is alright.

I would say everything, but I think that would be going a little too far :lol: I just think it's an extremely over-produced attempt at recreating AI. The storyline in 21CB is extremely vague, almost nonexistent, and I just don't think the writing is nearly as strong. All of the instruments really blend together into one large mass of noise in 21CB too, and I liked that in previous albums you could distinctly hear each instrument. I think that 21CB had a lot of potential, but Green Day tried way too hard and it just couldn't match the quality of their other albums. There are some highlights on the album, but I dislike so much of it that it's just not worth listening to, in my opinion.

i see what you're talking about for sure.

i know what you mean by too overproduced but i feel like there are some masterpieces on that album (viva la Gloria, 21st century breakdown) that just make me think of the album amazing as a whole (i hope that made sense)

as for the vague story, i find that Christian and Gloria are symbols rather than characters, so there isn't a specific story to it.

Personally my favorite character they've ever made would have to be Gloria :)

I can't say anything about the instruments, because ive actually never thought about it like that...

but i definitly see what you're talking about. Hopefully there next album is more like pre 21st century breakdown stuff (or something new, but still amazing.)

:)

i see what you're talking about for sure.

i know what you mean by too overproduced but i feel like there are some masterpieces on that album (viva la Gloria, 21st century breakdown) that just make me think of the album amazing as a whole (i hope that made sense)

as for the vague story, i find that Christian and Gloria are symbols rather than characters, so there isn't a specific story to it.

Personally my favorite character they've ever made would have to be Gloria :)

I can't say anything about the instruments, because ive actually never thought about it like that...

but i definitly see what you're talking about. Hopefully there next album is more like pre 21st century breakdown stuff (or something new, but still amazing.)

:)

I get that, definitely, but maybe I dislike it all so much because I don't really like the idea of characters in general. I can get around it in AI because they're following a nice, cohesive storyline, but in 21CB it's like Christian and Gloria were just kind of thrown in there. I would prefer the album so much more without the introduction of more characters that don't seem to serve much of a purpose. Like in Viva La Gloria or Christian's Inferno, for example. I feel like these are just random people who don't really have a function. I mean, I get the same vibe from AI at times, but I mean the "Jesus of Suburbia" serves as a much better symbol than some chick name Gloria. Jesus of Suburbia seems to represent a large group of people; the children of broken homes, the druggies, the outcasts, those just merely living in today's society. Gloria represents chicks. I know that's not completely true, but that's how I feel when I'm listening to it. She's the last of the American girls, she has a boyfriend, she's crazy, whatever. I just don't get nearly as much meaning out of it. I feel the same way about Christian, too. He doesn't seem nearly as representational as Jesus of Suburbia or St. Jimmy or Whatsername. I can't pinpoint an exact reason for that off the top of my head, but I just don't see Christian and Gloria as symbols for anything pertaining to my life. That's probably why I don't like it nearly as much. In addition to not enjoying the general, overproduced sound of the album, I also don't listen to the lyrics and think "wow, I totally get what he's saying." Again, this is all strictly my opinion. I'm not going to sit here and blindly say "Oh everything is great, Green Day can do no wrong, blah blah blah" because I'm just not that much of a fan. They're one of my favorite bands, but that doesn't mean I'm going to like everything they do. Know Your Enemy was the start of a downward spiral into not loving everything Green Day does.

i love the them both in every album there is a different story and different music and all of the music is great i can't decide cause every album or song changed me in something .

Archived