You Can't Fool Me

Mega Man

Hi, I don't know if a topic like this has been made before, but here's a topic for the discussion of the early Green Day song, You Can't Fool Me. The only known performances were in 1989 at Davis Community Center, and 1990 at Gilman (I'm pretty sure). No studio version has surfaced, but I bet one exists (probably from the 1,000 Hours sessions, probably went unreleased because it didn't fit the theme). And now that they're restoring their old master tapes, maybe we can have it as a bonus track on 1,039...

Anyways, I've remixed the best quality live version, but it's still pretty rough. Another think is the lyrics, which I was hoping people here could lend a hand on. Here's all I got:

I see you every night when you go on TV

(don't know the rest of that verse)

Chorus:

'Cuz I know before you say

What you say just can't be

You scare the hell out of me

But you can't fool me

Every damn night (don't know)

Every damn lie (don't know)

For those looking for the videos, here they are:

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No problem, guys. And yeah, the reason I'm going out of my way to get info on this song is because it rocks! I mean, I actually do enjoy some of Green Day's most obscure songs the most (I Wanna Be Your Boyfriend was only like 30 seconds, but it's still just amazing).

No problem, guys. And yeah, the reason I'm going out of my way to get info on this song is because it rocks! I mean, I actually do enjoy some of Green Day's most obscure songs the most (I Wanna Be Your Boyfriend was only like 30 seconds, but it's still just amazing).

Thanks for posting!

The song I Wanna Be Your Boyfriend is a Ramones cover :) Or I might misundrestand you?

Oh yeah, that song. I have it on my iPod, I really like it! I prefer that 'What about today' song though, I just love that one. Green Day should promote their music way better now, and imo it would be great if they released more unreleased/unknown songs like these as B-sides or something. :wub:

never haired about this song there is too much songs that i don't know i only know few singles and the albums music and i like this song so much it's so good

Thanks for posting!

The song I Wanna Be Your Boyfriend is a Ramones cover :) Or I might misundrestand you?

Yeah, but the way Billie sings is is just amazing. Just like I Fought The Law was another fine cover by Green Day, but I still prefer the Bobby Fuller Four's by a small margin.

And I assume their 3 Unknown KALX Radio Show songs were recorded (in fact, World Vs World was acutally re-recorded for Nimrod). I think another rarities track is in order. I also really want Shenanigans with DUI, although, I think it may only exist as an acitate, in which case, I should give up looking. Come to think of it, there's really no way to release DUI on a CD, even as a secret track that would stir some controversy (and secret tracks aren't so secret with iTunes and such).

And please, feel free to post your lyrical interpretations, I think posting the fixed audio version would be cooler with lyrics (I'd give credit).

I've been trying to figure out the lyrics to this for ages, the 1st verse is pretty much unintelligible :lol:

@Ellenkc: Well, I did get the first line if that's anything. And to take a stab at what the song's about (I know it's early), but the first line relates to Billie Joe relateing to someone on TV, and so it might be about him criticizing how fake and predictable some people on TV can be. Just a guess. And does the chorus sound right to you?

WOW!!! I've never hear about it! Thank you so much!!!

It sounds pretty cool!

It's actually on some...LP or whatever you wanna call it called "Nize Crap" which was released in 1993 and contains lots of unreleased and unknown songs.

Here's the backcover.

albumartback.jpg

It's actually on some...LP or whatever you wanna call it called "Nize Crap" which was released in 1993 and contains lots of unreleased and unknown songs.

Here's the backcover.

http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/5102/albumartback.jpg

Actually, the recording I have is from a rare 1990 Bay Area music compilation called Punk Punkin' Fuckin' Shit. Do you have that album personally, because I'd like to see which version it has. The version on Punk Punkin' Fuckin' Shit suffers from an audio gap that I'm trying to fix.

Actually, the recording I have is from a rare 1990 Bay Area music compilation called Punk Punkin' Fuckin' Shit. Do you have that album personally, because I'd like to see which version it has. The version on Punk Punkin' Fuckin' Shit suffers from an audio gap that I'm trying to fix.

Yeah, I have it. Wait a sec, I'm gonna listen to the version of the song I have and tell you if there's also this gap or not.

@Ellenkc: Well, I did get the first line if that's anything. And to take a stab at what the song's about (I know it's early), but the first line relates to Billie Joe relating to someone on TV, and so it might be about him criticizing how fake and predictable some people on TV can be. Just a guess. And does the chorus sound right to you?

Yeah all of what you posted sounds right to me, thanks for posting those by the way!

So you were talking about that gap shortly before the end of the song, weren't you? Since it's also in my version of the song, I assume it's the same as yours.

Archived